HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

The Atlanta Thread: Info for Visitors and tips for the locals.

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2010, 06:36 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathead hea View Post
hi all,

thinking about coming down to see a rangers game (i think in Jan). my question is about transportation from the airport. is it far outside the city? i usually like to stay center city when i go places so i don't need to rent a car, but if the airport is very far it might be worth it. is there a subway or train that'll go from the aiport to downtown, or a cab fare less than 40 bucks maybe?

thanks
MARTA(the Atlanta subway) can take you from the airport to Philips Arena for 2 bucks each way.

Old
11-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
MARTA(the Atlanta subway) can take you from the airport to Philips Arena for 2 bucks each way.
oh beauty! thanks!

Old
11-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathead hea View Post
oh beauty! thanks!
Be safe and wear that neon green fanny pack

Old
11-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
Be safe and wear that neon green fanny pack
if i didn't wear my fanny where would i keep my 16-fold map

Old
12-17-2010, 10:18 AM
salty justice

Is the arena in a part of town I want to stay in?

I'm arriving in Atlanta tonight with zero plans. I want to stay in a cool part of town that is preferably close to the arena, but it not a cab ride distance will do. I have a rental car so I can get around pretty easily.

So where's the best place to be? Where are the best nighttime hot spots for people under 30?

Old
12-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Killroy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
Is the arena in a part of town I want to stay in?

I'm arriving in Atlanta tonight with zero plans. I want to stay in a cool part of town that is preferably close to the arena, but it not a cab ride distance will do. I have a rental car so I can get around pretty easily.

So where's the best place to be? Where are the best nighttime hot spots for people under 30?
There are several hotels right by the arena, as well as several bars/restaurants in the area. However, downtown is not a hot spot as far as nightlife goes. If you want to stay close to the arena, then, off the top of my head, there is the Omni hotel and the Hilton Garden Inn.

As far as nightlife goes, what kind of places do you like? A chill bar, a crowded/loud bar, a club, etc...? Give me an idea of what you're interested in, and I can give you some recommendations.

Old
12-17-2010, 11:45 AM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
There are several hotels right by the arena, as well as several bars/restaurants in the area. However, downtown is not a hot spot as far as nightlife goes. If you want to stay close to the arena, then, off the top of my head, there is the Omni hotel and the Hilton Garden Inn.

As far as nightlife goes, what kind of places do you like? A chill bar, a crowded/loud bar, a club, etc...? Give me an idea of what you're interested in, and I can give you some recommendations.
Ideally I like to hop around to all of those types of places. Is there a "crawl" downtown? The more I look at it the more I'm leaning towards staying downtown at the Hilton Garden or Marriott Residence Inn.

Old
12-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Killroy*

Quote:
Ideally I like to hop around to all of those types of places. Is there a "crawl" downtown? The more I look at it the more I'm leaning towards staying downtown at the Hilton Garden or Marriott Residence Inn.
Not so much downtown. Downtown Atlanta is dead at night, and it's not a very desirable place to be. If you're looking for the ability to do a bar crawl, head to the Virgina Highlands. There are lots of great bars, and the crowds are always good (low ********* factor). Have a taxi take you to Neighbor's or Hand-in-Hand (English pub, not a gay bar as most people assume), and you can make your way down the street stopping in each bar:

Hand-in-Hand
Neighbor's
Atkin's Park
Darkhorse Tavern
Limerick Junction (Irish pub, always a cheap cover for live music - usually $3)
Blind Willie's (blues bar, always a cover - usually $10)
Diesel (relatively new bar, i don't like it)

If you keep walking you'll eventually hit the other section of the Highlands and the following bars:

Taco Mac
Fontaine's
Highland Tap
Moe's and Joe's (been around for a long time. beer only)
Cavern (attached to Moe's and Joe's - served liqour)

There are ALWAYS cabs waiting for drunk people to drive home, so finding a taxi is not a concern.

If anyone tells you to go to Buckhead, ignore any suggestion they make. Buckhead is the worst thing about Atlanta. Avoid at all costs. It's pretty much wall-to-wall **********.

Midtown Atlanta can be OK, and it has a lot of clubs. If you wanna go clubbing, then have a cab take you to Door 44 or CosmoLava. There's also Opera. A fair share of bars in the area too. The make-up of these bars is usually half d-bag/half non d-bag.

Let me know if you want any restaurant recommendations.

Old
12-17-2010, 12:14 PM
The Sneak

Downtown offers little in the form of partying in my estimation. There is a sports bar and a German beer garden walking distance from the Garden Inn. There is also a sports restaurant in the CNN Center. Of course the Olympic Park will be all lit up for the holidays.

However, If you're looking to party a bit more I'd recommend that you stay in midtown. Plenty more options for venues and more of the beautiful people. Its a quick drive/train to the arena.

Old
12-17-2010, 12:37 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Not so much downtown. Downtown Atlanta is dead at night, and it's not a very desirable place to be. If you're looking for the ability to do a bar crawl, head to the Virgina Highlands. There are lots of great bars, and the crowds are always good (low ********* factor). Have a taxi take you to Neighbor's or Hand-in-Hand (English pub, not a gay bar as most people assume), and you can make your way down the street stopping in each bar:

Hand-in-Hand
Neighbor's
Atkin's Park
Darkhorse Tavern
Limerick Junction (Irish pub, always a cheap cover for live music - usually $3)
Blind Willie's (blues bar, always a cover - usually $10)
Diesel (relatively new bar, i don't like it)

If you keep walking you'll eventually hit the other section of the Highlands and the following bars:

Taco Mac
Fontaine's
Highland Tap
Moe's and Joe's (been around for a long time. beer only)
Cavern (attached to Moe's and Joe's - served liqour)

There are ALWAYS cabs waiting for drunk people to drive home, so finding a taxi is not a concern.

If anyone tells you to go to Buckhead, ignore any suggestion they make. Buckhead is the worst thing about Atlanta. Avoid at all costs. It's pretty much wall-to-wall **********.

Midtown Atlanta can be OK, and it has a lot of clubs. If you wanna go clubbing, then have a cab take you to Door 44 or CosmoLava. There's also Opera. A fair share of bars in the area too. The make-up of these bars is usually half d-bag/half non d-bag.

Let me know if you want any restaurant recommendations.
This is some awesome advice and it's very much appreciated. I'm looking for a place to stay in the highlands now. Sounds like I can get use to Atlanta public transportation for getting to the game tomorrow night.

And don't worry I'll be rooting for you guys all the way. Plenty of former Hawks to root for and generally a pretty exciting young core you got there.

Old
12-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Killroy*

Quote:
This is some awesome advice and it's very much appreciated. I'm looking for a place to stay in the highlands now. Sounds like I can get use to Atlanta public transportation for getting to the game tomorrow night.

And don't worry I'll be rooting for you guys all the way. Plenty of former Hawks to root for and generally a pretty exciting young core you got there.
Unfortunately, there aren't too many hotels in the Highlands area. There's the Highland Inn (http://www.thehighlandinn.com/), but that's about all I can think of. Most of the hotels are downtown or midtown. I'd still say the hotels near the arena are your best bet.

With regards to public transportation, if you're going to the Highlands, stick with cabs. MARTA (Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) has several rail lines, but they don't go anywhere near the Highlands. And forget about their bus service - too unreliable. Recently they have cut their bus service by 30% (not sure how it affects the downtown bus lines though).

Another thing to note: Last call is 2AM.

Old
12-17-2010, 01:45 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Unfortunately, there aren't too many hotels in the Highlands area. There's the Highland Inn (http://www.thehighlandinn.com/), but that's about all I can think of. Most of the hotels are downtown or midtown. I'd still say the hotels near the arena are your best bet.

With regards to public transportation, if you're going to the Highlands, stick with cabs. MARTA (Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) has several rail lines, but they don't go anywhere near the Highlands. And forget about their bus service - too unreliable. Recently they have cut their bus service by 30% (not sure how it affects the downtown bus lines though).

Another thing to note: Last call is 2AM.
I found a place in midtown, I figured it was halfway between the arena and Virginia Highlands. PM me if you're going to the game tomorrow, I owe you a beer for sure!

Old
12-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Killroy*

Quote:
I found a place in midtown, I figured it was halfway between the arena and Virginia Highlands. PM me if you're going to the game tomorrow, I owe you a beer for sure!
I'll be there, but no worries. I just want people to enjoy their stay in Atlanta. Too many visitors stay in the wrong areas (because of bad advice) and miss out on the best things this city has to offer! You should have a good time.

Old
01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Just wanted to mention TJ's Sports Bar & Grill in Roswell. Only reason I do so, as it's owned by former Atlanta Flame Tim Ecclestone. Not the greatest place, but it's walking distance for me, so I have no complaints.

While I'm in here, I might as well throw out my favorite restaurant... and in the Alpharetta area where I am, it's http://www.miltonscuisine.com/ by far.

Old
01-13-2011, 02:20 PM
AtlSioux

Best Italian food in the city hands down is RosaMia in Johns Creek/Alpharetta
http://www.rosamiaitalian.com/

Born and raised in Manhatten and this is the best italian I've had in Georgia. Small mom and pop place which unfortunately is too far from where I live to visit too often, but if your on the northside, its a must visit.

Old
01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
the watcher

hey guys,
coming down with my gf for the montreal game on march 1st.
what do you guys suggest is the best way to get cheap lower bowl tickets? i found some on ebay and ticketmaster but wondering if u guys have other tricks?

also safe for us to wear habs jerseys?

Old
01-18-2011, 09:47 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the watcher View Post
hey guys,
what do you guys suggest is the best way to get cheap lower bowl tickets? i found some on ebay and ticketmaster but wondering if u guys have other tricks?

First of all, absolutely safe to wear your Habs jersey, with zero concern at all.

Personally, for a Tuesday night, I wouldn't suggest dishing out much money for a ticket. I'd get a nosebleed seat, or whatever is cheapest. After that, go grab a beer or two at the bar called Headlines inside the stadium. They have a pretty good view from directly behind the goal inbetween the first and second decks, and you can get in there with any ticket. Nice thing also, well I think it is at least, is that you can run a tab, there is a full bar, and food all right there.

Old
01-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
hey guys,

wait til the week before and there are usually ticket deals of some kind going on. especially since it is a weeknight game

totally safe to wear a jersey

Old
01-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Killroy*

Quote:
hey guys,

You should be able to get some $30-$40 lower level seats in sections 109-111 (This will be attack twice for the Habs). Keep checking stub-hub:

http://www.stubhub.com/atlanta-thras...1-2011-973005/

Old
02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Hello Thrashers fans. I didn't see a thread dedicated to my request, so I figured I'd post it in here.

Anyways, I will be making a trip down through the southeast in mid March. I have toyed with the idea of seeing a game in Atlanta; most preferably the game against the Flyers on the 17th. It'll be nice to see a game live, as I'm from Toronto and can't often afford to drop $500 to see who the Queefs will be losing to on that night.

Questions;

1) Can I get the tickets right at Phillips Arena, or do I need to get them online?
2) For a big-ticket visiting team (like the Phlyers), will there be enough tickets?
3) How much does a decent (not great, not bad) ticket to a game cost?

Thanks.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Killroy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
Hello Thrashers fans. I didn't see a thread dedicated to my request, so I figured I'd post it in here.

Anyways, I will be making a trip down through the southeast in mid March. I have toyed with the idea of seeing a game in Atlanta; most preferably the game against the Flyers on the 17th. It'll be nice to see a game live, as I'm from Toronto and can't often afford to drop $500 to see who the Queefs will be losing to on that night.

Questions;

1) Can I get the tickets right at Phillips Arena, or do I need to get them online?
2) For a big-ticket visiting team (like the Phlyers), will there be enough tickets?
3) How much does a decent (not great, not bad) ticket to a game cost?

Thanks.
This is the best season to get a cheap ticket deal, so you picked a good time to come down! The only time you would need to worry about availability would be a Saturday night game, but attendance has been pretty rough all year. Since the Philly game is on Thursday you're OK. You can absolutely buy a ticket at the box office before the game. There are usually online deals (check Rawhide's blog as he seems to have a discount code for most weeknight games through ticketmaster: http://blogs.ajc.com/iceman-thrashers-blog/), and you could probably find a lower-level ticket on stub-hub for around $30.

Closed Thread