HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason Predictions - Agree or Disagree?

Old
08-11-2010, 05:49 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Definitly. The funny thing is I totally agree & I even said on the predictions thread that I would rather be an over acheiving underdog then an under acheiving contender... Basically I have low expectations for this season and I know it's another "throw away season" for the most part. But it still irked me to have literally no one believe in us! I just wanted to hear something postive about us from someone other then Wild fans...

It's funny because if people predicted us 9th thru 12th I'd say "ya, that's fair" but when people start saying "they're going to suck" and "they're going to be horrible" and a bunch of predicitions seating us 13th thru 15th I get a little defensive! I feel as if I need to stand-up for our team! But I always try to keep an objective viewpoint because there's nothing worse then a blind homer! haha
That's not true. Being a blind homer is a lot more fun than being that guy who makes money off of being Mr. Negative or saying nothing until the team or a player fails. You still get to cheer loud and not have people think you are a ****** - I'm looking at you Reusse and Souhan.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not sure I'd call a run-and-gun offense "grinding out" 1-goal wins, but point taken.

I guess a lot of things went wrong last year, so it's not like 13th is the starting place or ceiling for this team.

Another thing to keep in mind, the Wild had the worst record in the West for the first and last 10 games of the season. An awful slow start and a horrible collapse at the end. With better coaching, conditioning, and chemistry this offseason, and hopefully with a better locker room and stronger leadership, that could mean possibly another 4-5 wins right there, and that's not counting the Bouchard injury and the stronger depth.

The only question the team really has to answer is defense...we should have strong (but not stellar) offense with this lineup and depth, and goaltending is not an issue...it's whether the guys on the blue line can get it together or not. So we'll see what RW can do here.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 07:10 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
This team like last year is based on far too many "what ifs" to expect to be good and I think that is what those publications and entities read into. "IF" the team can get the offensive production expected from Koivu, Havlat, Cullen, Brunette, Latendresse perhaps it can surprise a lot of us. An even bigger "IF" the team can get solid two-way play from defenseman like Cam Barker, Marek Zidlicky and Brent Burns perhaps the blueline can be a nice x-factor offensively while also being stingy defensively. "IF" Niklas Backstrom can find the form he had in 2008-09 it could be good enough for the team to grind out those 1-goal games to their advantage. Yet, the sheer amount of IF's (not just from me but from what others have said) say it all. A lot of very hopeful things have to fall into place in order for the team to have a chance to win and that typically is not a formula for success. I guess I'd have to say I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm not sure I'd call a run-and-gun offense "grinding out" 1-goal wins, but point taken.

I guess a lot of things went wrong last year, so it's not like 13th is the starting place or ceiling for this team.

Another thing to keep in mind, the Wild had the worst record in the West for the first and last 10 games of the season. An awful slow start and a horrible collapse at the end. With better coaching, conditioning, and chemistry this offseason, and hopefully with a better locker room and stronger leadership, that could mean possibly another 4-5 wins right there, and that's not counting the Bouchard injury and the stronger depth.

The only question the team really has to answer is defense...we should have strong (but not stellar) offense with this lineup and depth, and goaltending is not an issue...it's whether the guys on the blue line can get it together or not. So we'll see what RW can do here.
I think both of you make really good points. On paper, this team doesn't have a sexy lineup (or even any sexy names - hell the top player on this team is always on the list of underrated players) and a defense with many questions. While Wild fans are a lot more likely to look at the "IFs" and believe they can be overcome, that's not always the case for the "experts."

My take on the matter is that the Wild will be a team much closer to the one which skated between November and February and is a little underrated in all of these predictions; it's hard to see a start like last year happen once again. Overall, the team should be healthier and more cohesive with another year of Richards' style of play under their belt. However, with that said, way too many things would have to go right to consider Minnesota playoff contenders. They are still at least another year away from that designation, so I'd have to put them in the 8-12 tier (with Edmonton, Columbus and Dallas definitely behind them).

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:28 PM
nickschultzfan

Major difference between last season and 2008-2009?

We were actually in 95% on the games last season. Even ones that we gave up a lot of goals.

In 2008-2009, it seemed like we lost every single game where we didn't score first. And there too many 1-2, 0-2, 1-3, 2-3, and 0-1 losses where we actually weren't anywhere close to winning those games. We were just running out the clock.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Here's the thing that really bugs me about these predictions articles: The Wild are almost always slotted in at 13th, generally with no explanation. It's like the person writing the article didn't really think want to think about it, so he just slotted 'em in in the exact same spot as last year and called it a night. It's really lazy writing.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:38 PM
ddawg1950

Hated Camuck fan here.

I'd like to go on record as one of those who sees Minney finishing much higher...as a matter of fact I see you guys seriously challenging for a playoff spot. Teams like Colorado, Phoenix and LA made big gains last year. Historically a big gain year has been one where their depth is not really challenged by injuries and lots of one goal games going in the right way. Big gain years are often followed by a drop-off as the team cannot sneak up on anyone. Look what happened to St Lou and Columbus last year.

The NW division is not that strong and although many are picking the Canucks to win the division (and rightly so) I believe this opens it up for a team like the Wild to make some hay in their own division. Certainly Edmonton is going to be a bottom feeder. I don't believe Colorado will get as much out of their team this year as last and I think Calgary is on the brink of disaster.

The Wild have added some talent, have decent defense and great goaltending. Plus more than a few guys that can score. The teams that they have to beat for the playoffs aren't that solid. Good luck, guys.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:52 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

There seems to be one or two of you from the fanbases of most of the teams in our division...all together you probably outnumber the number of cautiously optimistic Wild fans! Thanks--i happen to believe it is possible to make the playoffs, but as LemairIsGod said that scenario depends on the same sort of "what ifs" that didn't happen for us last year. Hard to approach a new season with the same questions (albeit questions about some different players) and feel overly confident in our chances.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote