Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Niskanen ?

Old
08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
rocketxav9

vCash: 500
Matt Niskanen ?

will he bounce back next season ? what went wrong last season with him ? how many points do you guys think he will have this year ?

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:18 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketxav9 View Post
will he bounce back next season ? what went wrong last season with him ? how many points do you guys think he will have this year ?
I certainly think he will. He had zero confidence all year. He needs to find a way to put mistakes behind him. I expect a solid season with 30+ points.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:23 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
will he bounce back next season ?
no
Quote:
what went wrong last season with him ?
everything
Quote:
how many points do you guys think he will have this year ?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
vofty

Quote:
I hope so? But your guess is as good as mine frankly.

There isn't much that went right with him last season, but mostly I think it stems from a lack of confidence and mental maturity.

Dallas tried hard to get Niskanen to pick up points last season, he played the point with Richards on the PP for probably way longer than he should have and had relatively nothing to show for it. My guess is they will give him another shot at the point job and if he can start producing there I could easily see him hitting 30 points, if he struggles there again I would bet on another abysmal season from him with low point totals again.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:39 PM
rocketxav9

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
no everything 10
35 points two years ago ?? is it because of marc crawford that things went wrong like that?

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:51 PM
vofty

Quote:

Crawford can get blamed for a lot of things but I don't think Niskanen's struggles is one of them. It actually started under Tippett IMHO. Remember Niskanen is still young, he is only 23 and probably would have benefited from some more time to mature. Yes Niskanen's point totals were fine in 08-09 but his defensive play was really bad. This is pure speculation on my part but if during that time he started to view himself as a defenseman that is mostly an offensive contributor and not particularly good at the defensive part and then his offense struggled to start this last year and his defense was already bad I can see how it would mess with someone's confidence.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:54 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
The key is to get Niskanen producing like he did the second half of his second season and then with improved defense.

He's played decent/solid with Zubov, Norstrom and Sydor. In a small sample size he did a decent job with Fistric, which that type of defenseman appears to be a good fit for Niskanen.

Last edited by ________: 08-11-2010 at 03:01 PM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Niskanen doesn't have the clout to be able to play with only one type of defenseman, nor does he have the talent that demands he see more ice time.

He's got to put more work in on getting his play in his own end in order. He's never been very good in his own end. He has the same problems now that he did as a rookie, except now he's got zero confidence and the lack of an elite defenseman on the roster to cover up for his mistakes.

If he gets stronger and smarter, he'll be better next season (he's got potential to be a Sydor-type, in my head - a guy who will be very good in his prime but never an elite offensive defenseman). If all he focuses on is putting up more points, he's going to continue to suck because he's not good enough on the offensive end to make up for the points he gives up in his own end.

Also, Jason my love, Niskanen was abysmal when he played with Sydor. Sydor was also abysmal. That was, by far, the worst defensive pairing on the team that year, and both of them contributed to the suck. Stop trying to put forward this idea that it was all Sydor's fault. Many things were Sydor's fault, but plenty of them were Niskanen's fault too.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:13 AM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Niskanen doesn't have the clout to be able to play with only one type of defenseman, nor does he have the talent that demands he see more ice time.

He's got to put more work in on getting his play in his own end in order. He's never been very good in his own end. He has the same problems now that he did as a rookie, except now he's got zero confidence and the lack of an elite defenseman on the roster to cover up for his mistakes.

If he gets stronger and smarter, he'll be better next season (he's got potential to be a Sydor-type, in my head - a guy who will be very good in his prime but never an elite offensive defenseman). If all he focuses on is putting up more points, he's going to continue to suck because he's not good enough on the offensive end to make up for the points he gives up in his own end.

Also, Jason my love, Niskanen was abysmal when he played with Sydor. Sydor was also abysmal. That was, by far, the worst defensive pairing on the team that year, and both of them contributed to the suck. Stop trying to put forward this idea that it was all Sydor's fault. Many things were Sydor's fault, but plenty of them were Niskanen's fault too.
Dammit Jason... i've always had my eye on kritter... seems you've beaten me to her

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:07 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

So not only has Niskanen not improved, he's somehow, improbably, managed to get worse.

You wouldn't think that would be possible for someone already coming off a worst-case-scenario season, but he appears to have put in the work to make it happen.

Every decision he makes is wrong. Every single one of them. And not only are they wrong, they're embarrassingly wrong. They're so wrong they always catch his teammates off-guard. They're not even considering the fact that he could do something more wrong that what they've gotten used to.

Time to keep in the puck? Puck goes out.
Time to clear the puck? Puck stays in.
Time to distribute the puck? Puck goes to no one, turnover.
Time to dump in the puck? Puck gets deflected, turnover.
Time to shoot the puck? Puck goes wide.
Time to clear the net? Hahahahahaha

There is no floor.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:12 PM
txomisc

piqued you have officially gone off the deep end. Niskanens has had two very solid games.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:13 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

He's had 2 abysmal games. You don't know what you're looking at, I'm afraid.

Niskanen should've been traded in the offseason, not re-signed for 2 years. I honestly think he'd clear waivers right now.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:21 PM
txomisc

Quote:
He's had 2 abysmal games. You don't know what you're looking at, I'm afraid.

Niskanen should've been traded in the offseason, not re-signed for 2 years. I honestly think he'd clear waivers right now.
abysmal games yet hes a +3 on the year? You've got a hate on and are looking for mistakes. Sure hes made some but way less than he was making last year. One or two a game, which all dmen make. I know you have this thing for finding scapegoats but saying Niskanens had two abysmal games is just grasping at straws. Hell its like you think every dman should be Zubov.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
piqued you have officially gone off the deep end. Niskanens has had two very solid games.
Oh my God. Did you even watch tonight's game?

He wasn't the worst player out there, but he sure as hell didn't have a solid game. Especially on the powerplay.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:25 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
abysmal games yet hes a +3 on the year? You've got a hate on and are looking for mistakes. Sure hes made some but way less than he was making last year. One or two a game, which all dmen make. I know you have this thing for finding scapegoats but saying Niskanens had two abysmal games is just grasping at straws. Hell its like you think every dman should be Zubov.
I wish people would stop misusing already borderline-irrelevant statistics.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:26 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Oh my God. Did you even watch tonight's game?

He wasn't the worst player out there, but he sure as hell didn't have a solid game. Especially on the powerplay.
He didnt play well on the powerplay but he didn't hurt the team at all. Hes a defenseman and he didnt hurt the team, thats solid. Quit being so damn negative.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:28 PM
txomisc

Quote:
I wish people would stop misusing already borderline-irrelevant statistics.
I wish people would stop thinking they always have to find someone to blame for everything. Tell me do you actually enjoy hockey or do you just enjoy looking for players to screw up?

Old
10-09-2010, 09:28 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Didn't hurt the team? Is that our goal for players now? Hooray you participated Matt!

Can't wait to see his CORSI numbers tomorrow.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:29 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

I'm not even blaming Niskanen for anything. What's there to blame? The Stars won both their games. I'm bringing this up BECAUSE it can't be construed as blaming or scapegoating.

Niskanen sucks, that's all. His suck is so conspicuous it must be commented upon.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:31 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Didn't hurt the team? Is that our goal for players now? Hooray you participated Matt!

Can't wait to see his CORSI numbers tomorrow.
Yeah considering all the mistakes other players made that did hurt the team not hurting the team is ok. The defense overall had a bad night, niskanen did not stand out as particularly bad at all.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Alistar

Niskanen hasn't been our worst defenceman so far. I don't think he's even been one of our two worst.

Sadly, the only guy I would say has played "well" so far is Skrastins, and that's just because I haven't noticed him at all...

I didn't get to see Blindenbacher play in person, but if he can possibly play a more solid game he should get his shot asap.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Dirty Kari

Niskanen isn't the problem so far this season. Its Daley.

Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:29 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Daley's been bad also, no doubt. The difference is that he actually had a decent year last year and he's also a known as a bit of a slow starter.

There are many problems, but at some point you've got to start somewhere.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Dallasman

Our defence has been very very average to poor in these two games.

Robidas taking two delay of game penalties...TAKE THE ICING IF YOU WANT TO GET THE PUCK OUT THAT BADLY. Brutal. Tried hard to give this game away.
Grossman on the fourth goal should not have let Moulson get behind him but he's actually been pretty solid.
Daley has been bad and Niskanen has been ok, not like what piqued is saying. He's been ok.
Without Kari back there however, these guys would look A LOT worse than we actually are.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Trade Daley for Langenbrunner and get it over with!

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote