HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs sign Jerry D'Amigo to 3 yr Entry Level Contract

Old
08-10-2010, 02:06 PM
My Sweet Shadow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerBobak View Post
Ha yea well my post was a shot at all of these threads in general. And for the record, I am a leaf fan and really excited about D'Amigo.
I'd rather these on the "Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk" board than a million ridiculous trade proposals that have no basis in fact or rumors.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Dutch Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian-Rocket View Post
I can't see him as a rookie in the AHL putting up a PPG.. The kid is only 19 at the moment so I think 40 points is reasonable playing top 6 minutes with the Marlies. I think he would benefit playing with such veterans like Joey Crabb, Mike Zigomanis and Tim Brent.. There is going to be some tough competition on the Marlies for top 6 forward spots as Luca Caputi, Nazem Kadri, Marcel Mueller, Mikhail Stefanovich, Dale Mitchell could all challenge for spots if they do not make the big club..He's at most going to be a good 2nd line winger if he reaches is full potential
This.. I hate when people say this guy is a third-liner.. he's got some great offensive instincts.. His upside is certainly a clutch 20-goal scoer.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:09 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice1815 View Post
We really really overrate this guy. Sure he is a fine prospect, but projects to be no more than a 3rd liner. People are all over him because of his performance at the WJC but he is just an average prospect
If that is the case the I don't see the point in signing D'Amigo now, leave him in the NCAA for another year. Maybe Burke should check with you first?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:10 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
It's good to see a kid who was not really looked upon in the 2009 draft to sky rocket up the depth charts.. Jerry D'Amigo is a hardworking kid whose taken his training serious this year by bulking his 5'11 frame to 215lbs. Working out with left winger Zach Parise has probably helped his learning process as a 19 year old trying to break into the pro ranks. However, Jerry D'Amigo in my opinion needs more seasoning but has all the tools necessary in order to acheive his full potential as a top 6 winger in the NHL.. The climb for D'Amigo only begins here, dont count on the kid making the Leafs out of camp as more seasoning will be required in the AHL.. If rumors are true and he will 100% sign count on him to play in the AHL/WJC this coming winter with possibly a couple call-ups with the big club
215 lbs eh? Thats great.

Youre going to make me overrate this kid if you keep it up.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:16 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If that is the case the I don't see the point in signing D'Amigo now, leave him in the NCAA for another year. Maybe Burke should check with you first?
You know, that's just Burke, rushing the kids to keep his job.

Anyways, anybody have an idea what the game plan is here? I guess D'Amigo will get a shot at camp or at the start of the season, but I can't see him sticking in the NHL. Is he going to be a Marlie, or is he going to Kitchener?

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:22 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post

Anyways, anybody have an idea what the game plan is here? I guess D'Amigo will get a shot at camp or at the start of the season, but I can't see him sticking in the NHL. Is he going to be a Marlie, or is he going to Kitchener?
I guess it will depend on his performance in both the rookie tournament and training camp. If he plays well and proves he can play big leagues he will be with the Marlies, if not he will play with the Rangers. At least that's my guess!

Still, it would be pretty cool to see him on a line with Skinner(under the condition that he gets sent back down).

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:43 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

The TSN article has D'Amigo's coach saying that Jerry is going to play in Toronto, not the OHL.

So from that I gather AHL/NHL.

Old
08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post

The game plan for Jerry D'Amigo you ask?

Well this is my take on his situation.. The Kitchener Rangers would love to add Jerry D'Amigo to their already stacked forward core featuring Jeff Skinner, Jeremy Morin, Gabriel Landeskog, Jason Akeson, John Moore and Ryan Murphy. Too bad for Kitchener that Jerry D'Amigo has absolutely no interest in going to the CHL.. So I think its highly likely he will play with Toronto's AHL affiliate team.

Now I think D'Amigo has an outside shot of making the Leafs as his speed really is not up to par at this level of play. By no means is Jerry D'Amigo a fast player and he is dedicating alot offseason working on this flaw. Now do not let scouting reports confuse you when they say he has great speed, this is often confused with how shifty of a player he is..

If you want to compare his style of play to an NHL'er today I would say Patric Hornqvist. Not that D'Amigo is going to put up a 30 goal season but both are shifty players, who are willing to take a hit to make a play.. At the same time they both tend to hold onto the puck too long leading to chances by the opposition. This is just my personal opinion though feel free to offer your own comments..

If this rumor is true and he does sign a contract with the Leafs tommorow look for him to play top 6 minutes in the AHL with Mike Zigomanis, Joey Crabb, Tim Brent, Luca Caputi and possibly Marcel Mueller/Nazem Kadri depending on a disgruntled Kaberle trade

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater View Post
Great player. Wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 70 points in his first season.
70 points in the NHL?!?! Oiler fans are expecting 50-60 points from either Hall, Eberle, or MPS. Doubt he hits 40 if he plays 3rd line minutes.

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
70 points in the NHL?!?! Oiler fans are expecting 50-60 points from either Hall, Eberle, or MPS. Doubt he hits 40 if he plays 3rd line minutes.
I think your sarcasm detector is broken.

Gutchecktime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
I think your sarcasm detector is broken.
He's an Oilers fan, everything inside him is broken.

Fear not Edmontonians, it becomes more of a dull, accepting pain after awhile.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:58 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
Thanks tips

Old
08-10-2010, 02:58 PM
NinthSpoke06

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dreams View Post
This.. I hate when people say this guy is a third-liner.. he's got some great offensive instincts.. His upside is certainly a clutch 20-goal scoer.
I'm sure there are other people who "hate when Leafs fans says he is a 20 goal scorer and a top 6 forward."

There area lot of muchbetter prospects who have been PPG players in the NCAA and have had great WJC, who have done nothing as a pro.

Sure he likely won't do nothing, but he certainly could only become a 3rd liner in the NHL. He could also be a first liner. No one knows. How 'bout we stop calling people out and *****ing at them because they have a different opinion then you.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:59 PM
SethJonestownMassacr

I personally hope he is sent to Kitchener. They should have a very strong team this year, and I think he'll get more playing time there than on the Marlies.

SethJonestownMassacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
I personally hope he is sent to Kitchener. They should have a very strong team this year, and I think he'll get more playing time there than on the Marlies.
110% he will not go to the CHL to play hockey next season, keep dreaming

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:19 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
i'll be honest, i don't pray much... but i just did

i think it's about time toronto had a surprise , d'amigo i hope can surprise like ryan o'reilly did.. please... god...

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:24 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
i'll be honest, i don't pray much... but i just did

i think it's about time toronto had a surprise , d'amigo i hope can surprise like ryan o'reilly did.. please... god...
Do your prayers usually involve young men abandoning their education for your entertainment?

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
110% he will not go to the CHL to play hockey next season, keep dreaming
How do you know? Its up to Burke. If Burke thinks its best for him to go to the OHL and stay close by anyway, he'l be in with Kitchener. Nothings a sure thing yet. Burke I'm sure could convince him that a shot at a Memorial Cup is better for his development and career then fighting for minutes on the Marlies.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

He might as well try to get his foot in the door while it is wide open. Who knows what positions will be available next year or the one after.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Baba Ganoush

hello, Jerry.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:35 PM
MIKE GUNDY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg View Post
Do your prayers usually involve young men abandoning their education for your entertainment?
maybe they involve young men having their dreams come true

MIKE GUNDY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:36 PM
LMFAO

The Leags still have a third line LW spot open...

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:39 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
I'm sure there are other people who "hate when Leafs fans says he is a 20 goal scorer and a top 6 forward."

There area lot of muchbetter prospects who have been PPG players in the NCAA and have had great WJC, who have done nothing as a pro.

Sure he likely won't do nothing, but he certainly could only become a 3rd liner in the NHL. He could also be a first liner. No one knows. How 'bout we stop calling people out and *****ing at them because they have a different opinion then you.
There are very few people in here who could write that and not be labeled a hypocrite.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
I'm sure he was at RPI for the rigorous academic program.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:41 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Because once you pass the age of 23-25, you're not allowed to go back to university.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote