HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs sign Jerry D'Amigo to 3 yr Entry Level Contract

Old
08-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Scoogs

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
One bajillion points in his first ...

20 games

Oh, wait.. One sec...

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:01 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
Well, I'm not the one who thinks D'Amigo is gonna produce more points than Hall, Eberle or MPS. Just bluntly saying 70 points in his FIRST year is crazy.
You still don't realize he was trolling? There isn't a single Leafs fan out there who thinks D'Amigo will get 70 points in his first year. We're talking about if he ever has a chance to get there, which is still a long shot. That's just crazy.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:14 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Well, I'm not the one who thinks D'Amigo is gonna produce more points than Hall, Eberle or MPS. Just bluntly saying 70 points in his FIRST year is crazy.
i think you were the only one to take the seriously

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Skyver

You all are just waiting to pounce on anything just to bash leafs fans, eh? Not even Boston's historical choke gets this much bad rap. Whoever posted that was either trolling or was referring to the points he'd get in OHL. Chill out and put the crap attitude down.

Skyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:18 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
You still don't realize he was trolling? There isn't a single Leafs fan out there who thinks D'Amigo will get 70 points in his first year. We're talking about if he ever has a chance to get there, which is still a long shot. That's just crazy.
I'd honestly be surprised if he got 7 points next year...

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:21 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
I'd honestly be surprised if he got 7 points next year...
Same. People should know better, especially considering who it was that posted that.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
He's an Oilers fan, everything inside him is broken.

Fear not Edmontonians, it becomes more of a dull, accepting pain after awhile.
I loll'ed so freakin' hard.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:27 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Well coulda have put a sarcastic smilie then I would have been quiet.
Are you not familiar with the works of HWE?

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Should have stayed in college. If he plays in the AHL, thats a waste of a ELC year, and playing in the OHL would be a pretty lateral move, if not worse since hes would physically dominate in juniors. An extra year or two in the NCAA and he could probably go straight to the big leagues without the AHL route and waste an ELC year.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:42 PM
ronnyweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Should have stayed in college. If he plays in the AHL, thats a waste of a ELC year, and playing in the OHL would be a pretty lateral move, if not worse since hes would physically dominate in juniors. An extra year or two in the NCAA and he could probably go straight to the big leagues without the AHL route and waste an ELC year.
this theory implies that the leafs care about money, or developing their prospects properly

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:47 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Why should D'Amigo, or the Leafs, care about an ELC year?

He's not going to do much in 3 years to warrant a massive raise and will likely get a second contract in the same range as an ELC.

Old
08-10-2010, 05:59 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

RPI isn't exactly the BC of college squads (used to be a dynasty though) so depending on where he heads it could work out.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 06:08 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
RPI isn't exactly the BC of college squads (used to be a dynasty though) so depending on where he heads it could work out.
Nor is the ECAC a tough conference.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
Why should D'Amigo, or the Leafs, care about an ELC year?

He's not going to do much in 3 years to warrant a massive raise and will likely get a second contract in the same range as an ELC.
You always want to maximize your players' contributions while they are still on ELCs. NCAA is like free development. I guess its also a player by player thing, since some teams want to get a guy out of college if hes not progressing. But teams with high success rate with College players like Devils and Avs tend to sign their players when they have more than 1 year in NCAA and then jump straight to NHL. (Zajac, Paul Martin, Liles, Drury etc).

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

i think 80-90 points rookie season is reasonable, imo i would say if he hits his potential , 125 pts.

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorPayne View Post
LOL

Couldn't have posted a better response. Unreal.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:59 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
i think 80-90 points rookie season is reasonable, imo i would say if he hits his potential , 125 pts.
this

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Hugo Sham

as a hab fan i like this kid and was very impressed with his WJC. what's his upside? which pro player does he pattern his game on?

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:12 PM
mooseOAK*

Can't delete for some reason.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Sevanston

Maybe Pirri will want to leave for his pro team too now?

Hey, I can dream.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:46 PM
PhilTheThrillKessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
You're selling him short. If anything, I'd expect 130 points minimum. This is Jerry D'Amigo, not some ordinary player like Crosby or Ovechkin.

But seriously, Im excited to see how his transition is to the AHL, assuming he is sent to the Marlies. Ever since we took him in the 6th round last yr, I've been excited. He seems to have a great work ethic, and has the body of a NHLer. I think he is around 210-215 now.

PhilTheThrillKessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:50 PM
North Metro Peewees

This is really unfortunate for the rest of his teammates at RPI as well as the fans of that program. I continue to find it interesting as a fan of both the NHL and NCAA how the NHL treats American college hockey.

The next CBA needs a firm deadline on when players can sign whether it's May 15, June 1st or something. If you get past that deadline then your committed to playing with your college team for the upcoming season.

This will likely leave the RPI squad shorthanded for the upcoming season in a similar manner to how the Gophers were left short by Nick Leddy signing with the Hawks.

I'm sure this will fall mostly on deaf ears with most "hockey fans" whose short sightedness goes no further than their own teams roster and prospect lists. I do find it ironic that teams can sign NCAA players and send them to the minors but CHL players cannot.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the college game; teams like Minnesota play in a packed Marriucci Arena which holds a tad over 10,000 fans. The average ticket price is a shade under $40/game and virtually all of their games are televised on Fox Sports North which means there is a real financial commitment for the fans, sponsors and players. I believe this towers over the commitment made to CHL teams by their fans and sponsors.

All of this for D'Amigo to play in the AHL next season. BRAVO!!!!

Last edited by North Metro Peewees: 08-10-2010 at 11:00 PM.
North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
LOL how is this a sticky

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:10 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
LOL how is this a sticky
Because it's the Leafs

Old
08-10-2010, 11:19 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
This is really unfortunate for the rest of his teammates at RPI as well as the fans of that program. I continue to find it interesting as a fan of both the NHL and NCAA how the NHL treats American college hockey.

The next CBA needs a firm deadline on when players can sign whether it's May 15, June 1st or something. If you get past that deadline then your committed to playing with your college team for the upcoming season.

This will likely leave the RPI squad shorthanded for the upcoming season in a similar manner to how the Gophers were left short by Nick Leddy signing with the Hawks.

I'm sure this will fall mostly on deaf ears with most "hockey fans" whose short sightedness goes no further than their own teams roster and prospect lists. I do find it ironic that teams can sign NCAA players and send them to the minors but CHL players cannot.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the college game; teams like Minnesota play in a packed Marriucci Arena which holds a tad over 10,000 fans. The average ticket price is a shade under $40/game and virtually all of their games are televised on Fox Sports North which means there is a real financial commitment for the fans, sponsors and players. I believe this towers over the commitment made to CHL teams by their fans and sponsors.

All of this for D'Amigo to play in the AHL next season. BRAVO!!!!
This is more on the NCAA than the NHL.

They have chosen to live in a reality where once you are paid to play your sport in any way/shape/form, you are no longer eligible to play for the school. The CHL realized the realities of being a developmental league, and chose to cooperate with the NHL, so they get to keep their players longer in the case they don't make the NHL, I believe they also get standardized transfer payments.

With the NCAA, they believe that sports is still secondary to education...they operate in a niche of the junior hockey landscape, but it may be the most effective niche for them to operate in. If they allowed professionals, then you'd have the teams populated by 20-year olds who have finished 3-4 years in the OHL, and are either not NHL prospects, or will only spend one year there.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote