HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs sign Jerry D'Amigo to 3 yr Entry Level Contract

Old
08-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Will be a hard working third liner who can score in the clutch and get about 40-50 points.

And I'm an Oilers fan

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

This really should be in the minor signings thread.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If that is the case the I don't see the point in signing D'Amigo now, leave him in the NCAA for another year. Maybe Burke should check with you first?
I remember reading somewhere that D'Amigo was the one deciding to leave RPI, not Burke offering to sign him this year. Though I guess it would make more sense if Burke offered him a deal first.

What happens if a player leaves the NCAA and the NHL team with their rights doesn't sign them? In this instance, if that hypothetical situation were to happen, would that mean D'Amigo goes to the OHL? Though I'm assuming most guys leave college only if some sort of deal is in the bag.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:05 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJimmyCarterC View Post
I remember reading somewhere that D'Amigo was the one deciding to leave RPI, not Burke offering to sign him this year. Though I guess it would make more sense if Burke offered him a deal first.

What happens if a player leaves the NCAA and the NHL team with their rights doesn't sign them? In this instance, if that hypothetical situation were to happen, would that mean D'Amigo goes to the OHL? Though I'm assuming most guys leave college only if some sort of deal is in the bag.
D'Amigo said that he'd only leave to play in Toronto (NHL or AHL is unclear), not in the OHL. Playerss dont "leave college to sign".... they sign a pro contract which makes them ineligible to play in the NCAA.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:08 AM
dubey
So hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
LOL how is this a sticky
There must be a button or something the mods click to make threads a sticky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Will be a hard working third liner who can score in the clutch and get about 40-50 points.

And I'm an Oilers fan
The American Jordan Eberle!

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
This is really unfortunate for the rest of his teammates at RPI as well as the fans of that program. I continue to find it interesting as a fan of both the NHL and NCAA how the NHL treats American college hockey.

The next CBA needs a firm deadline on when players can sign whether it's May 15, June 1st or something. If you get past that deadline then your committed to playing with your college team for the upcoming season.

This will likely leave the RPI squad shorthanded for the upcoming season in a similar manner to how the Gophers were left short by Nick Leddy signing with the Hawks.

I'm sure this will fall mostly on deaf ears with most "hockey fans" whose short sightedness goes no further than their own teams roster and prospect lists. I do find it ironic that teams can sign NCAA players and send them to the minors but CHL players cannot.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the college game; teams like Minnesota play in a packed Marriucci Arena which holds a tad over 10,000 fans. The average ticket price is a shade under $40/game and virtually all of their games are televised on Fox Sports North which means there is a real financial commitment for the fans, sponsors and players. I believe this towers over the commitment made to CHL teams by their fans and sponsors.

All of this for D'Amigo to play in the AHL next season. BRAVO!!!!
Ah at least some lucky guy at RPI will walk on and get to play at the highest level of hockey he will ever play in his life. D'Amigo just made someone's dreams come true!

Old
08-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
D'Amigo said that he'd only leave to play in Toronto (NHL or AHL is unclear), not in the OHL. Playerss dont "leave college to sign".... they sign a pro contract which makes them ineligible to play in the NCAA.
I know ineligibility and such, just the article I read made if sound like D'Amigo's decision to leave. Thought it was strange though. Maybe he asked Burkie if he could start his pro career now and Burke thinks there will be a place for him on the Marlies (or maybe even the Leafs) and therefore agreed to sign D'Amigo... seems like that'd be kinda ballsy on D'Amigo's part... Either way, this makes for more competition for roster spots which is always a good thing

Old
08-11-2010, 01:21 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
I know ineligibility and such, just the article I read made if sound like D'Amigo's decision to leave. Thought it was strange though. Maybe he asked Burkie if he could start his pro career now and Burke thinks there will be a place for him on the Marlies (or maybe even the Leafs) and therefore agreed to sign D'Amigo... seems like that'd be kinda ballsy on D'Amigo's part... Either way, this makes for more competition for roster spots which is always a good thing
Well, the reality is that it is his decision. If he wants to stay in school for another year, there's nothing the Leafs can do about it.

Most guys play more than one year in the NCAA, what problably happened is that he did well at Leafs prospect camp, and they felt that it was an appropriate time to take him out of school. D'Amigo then decided that he wants to try and go pro right now, so they'll negotiate a contract. Some guys do turn the opportunity down to get another year of education or because they think it's best for them.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:47 AM
ursus

Quote:
Ah at least some lucky guy at RPI will walk on and get to play at the highest level of hockey he will ever play in his life. D'Amigo just made someone's dreams come true!
Just as a point of information. Prior to this, RPI had 18 forwards on their roster for next season. So instead of 6 not dressing for each game, 5 won't. Colleges need extra players in case of injuries, since they can't call up players from elsewhere and JV teams are a thing of the past.

I suspect that the coaching staff saw this coming although they probably won't admit it.

ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:51 AM
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Maybe Pirri will want to leave for his pro team too now?

Hey, I can dream.
We had this scare yesterday when it was reported that D'Amigo and Pirri were the only two players not to participate in the golf tourney over the weekend. It turns out that Pirri was at a wedding.

ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:53 AM
LennyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
it really should.

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Finnpin

Huge sticky and own thread worthy news.

I guess everything is HUGE when talking about the Leafs.

Edit. The one who stickied this should have infraction notice. For example Sutton signing in Anaheim wasn't sticky and this is...big ass lol.

Last edited by Finnpin: 08-11-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:21 AM
UkraineTrain

D'Amigo>>>>>Glennie

UkraineTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:06 AM
grabo84

Quote:
There's about 5 pages of responses. It looks pretty clear that this isn't what the minor signings thread is for.

Of course, if we took out all of the people complaining about it, we might get it down to 3 pages.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:38 AM
SchwenningerWildWing

Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater View Post
Great player. Wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 70 points in his first season.
Sure he will hit 70 points . Only the mighty Scott Glennie will

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
AddMan3001
Don't poke the bear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
There's about 5 pages of responses. It looks pretty clear that this isn't what the minor signings thread is for.

Of course, if we took out all of the people complaining about it, we might get it down to 3 pages.
Agreed. If we stuck this in the minor signings thread, it's be overrun and instead of "why is this a sticky / in it's own thread" comments we'd get a bunch of "why isn't this a sticky / in it's own thread". Can't win either way.

Good news about D'Amigo, although I wouldn't have minded another year in the NCAA I can't wait to see in with the Marlies!

AddMan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddMan3001 View Post
Agreed. If we stuck this in the minor signings thread, it's be overrun and instead of "why is this a sticky / in it's own thread" comments we'd get a bunch of "why isn't this a sticky / in it's own thread". Can't win either way.

Good news about D'Amigo, although I wouldn't have minded another year in the NCAA I can't wait to see in with the Marlies!
I seriously doubt it. We're talking about a 6th round pick leaving college for crying out loud. He's a decent prospect and all but geez, even Hall and Seguin didn't get stickied.

(And yes, arguing over what is or isn't "sticky-worthy" on HF is a complete waste of time, but I have to get to 20k posts somehow)

Last edited by hototogisu: 08-11-2010 at 12:07 PM.
hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

He'll definitely need a year or more AHL. He was slightly below 1 PPGM at the NCAA level so it's crazy to think he's ready to crack the Leafs, if he does they are a lock for a lottery pick. He looked good at the WJHC, but that's 10 days of hockey, not a full season.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:11 AM
SpezDispenser

How is this stickied, but guys like Stanley Cup Champion Nick Boynton re-signing isn't?

Really, no offense Leaf fans, but the only people who care about this is you.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:19 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
How is this stickied, but guys like Stanley Cup Champion Nick Boynton re-signing isn't?

Really, no offense Leaf fans, but the only people who care about this is you.
I noticed fans of other teams making some useful comments, so no, its not just Leafs fans that care.

No one forced you to look at the thread, if it bothers you, stay out.

As for D'Amigo, i'm hoping his move to the Marlies will help with his development more than being with RPI would. It seems he doesn't want to play in the OHL, so the Marlies is the only path after signing (there is no way he would make the Leafs this season). I'm not going to expect too much out of him, he looks to be a steal for the 6th round, but at this point, i see his potential being a borderline second line winger, or a solid 3rd liner. After this year we should have a better grasp of his true potential.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:22 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
I noticed fans of other teams making some useful comments, so no, its not just Leafs fans that care.

No one forced you to look at the thread, if it bothers you, stay out.
Well obviously I won't frequent this thread from here on out. What did you think I was gonna do? I came in here to express what I think is silly. Don't care if God himself had useful comments to make, it's a tiny little signing that very few people (other than Leaf fans) care about.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:25 AM
KingsCourt

Quote:
this thread is hilarous not only is he a no namer, but he didn't even sign yet.

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:28 AM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He'll definitely need a year or more AHL. He was slightly below 1 PPGM at the NCAA level so it's crazy to think he's ready to crack the Leafs, if he does they are a lock for a lottery pick. He looked good at the WJHC, but that's 10 days of hockey, not a full season.
He put up a PPG pace as a 18 year old rookie though. Also won rookie of the year. The kid supposedly has gotten a lot bigger in the offseason, and I think that is the reason the Leaf's signed him earlier then expected. I would guess he spends the majority of the time in the AHL next year, but will get some spot Leaf starts and will probably have no issue fitting in due to his speed.

TOG26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:30 AM
MIKE GUNDY*

i can't wait D'Amigo to be the highest trending topic on Twitter for Canada

MIKE GUNDY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
He put up a PPG pace as a 18 year old rookie though. Also won rookie of the year. The kid supposedly has gotten a lot bigger in the offseason, and I think that is the reason the Leaf's signed him earlier then expected. I would guess he spends the majority of the time in the AHL next year, but will get some spot Leaf starts and will probably have no issue fitting in due to his speed.
To me it seems like they are making the same mistake the Habs made with Pacioretty and rushing him. IMHO he'd be better off another year NCAA(or at least junior) to dominate at that level before jumping to AHL/NHL.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote