HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Ian Laparriere to Montreal?

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Malakhov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Hossa - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Laperriere - Ward
Begin - Dowd - Sundstrom

We sign lappy/kovy and dowd stays

I'd try to get someone else instead of sundstrom though, he doesn't really fit on a 4th line, you could get someone cheaper for that role.

Old
05-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I don't think Lappy and Ward have enough speed to be on the same line. LA played Lappy with Belanger and Avery, I think that's a bit of a clue as to how he is effective.

Ward is average defensively and is only good maybe 10 feet out from the net because of his hands. He is not a big man either, that's a misconception. I don't think it's a priority to have him on any particular line really. Wherever he fits, IF he wins a spot on the team...

I like Marshall too, he'd be an excellent pickup, but I'd rather the spend the money on Matvichuk myself.

Then there is the speed factor. We don't know that Gainey would want a guy who is not a top notch skater. He seems to prefer a guy who can skate.
Ward, yes, thats exactly why I think Habs will need another checking RW. I guess I was trying to be sensitive and hint only about him being a tad injury prone.

Speed... a good team is a mix of speed and character, in few years time we will have plenty of young legs on the team.

Matvichuk... I'd say Marshall would bring more bang for the buck, because a) adding him would mean less Langdon actually in line-up, and there would be just enough depth to run 4 lines, b) our PK would be better. Or perhaps its just that I dont want to see them build log-jam again in defence.

Old
05-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Hossa - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Laperriere - Ward
Begin - Dowd - Sundstrom

We sign lappy/kovy and dowd stays

I'd try to get someone else instead of sundstrom though, he doesn't really fit on a 4th line, you could get someone cheaper for that role.
Swap in Plekanec/Dowd and Marshall/Sundström, keep Langdon/Dagenais as scratches (making Ryder/Ribeiro happier), OK?

Old
05-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Swap in Plekanec/Dowd and Marshall/Sundström, keep Langdon/Dagenais as scratches (making Ryder/Ribeiro happier), OK?
I don't know, I wouldn't like Plekanec to make his debut as a 4th line center, I'd prefer he stays with the bulldogs for one more season than take it from there.

Old
05-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
I don't know, I wouldn't like Plekanec to make his debut as a 4th line center, I'd prefer he stays with the bulldogs for one more season than take it from there.
I dont think he has much to learn there. He played two seasons on big mens league in Czech Republic before going over the pond and now has had two solid seasons at AHL level, even collecting some points after becoming number one center there.

I really believe he could handle it. He seems to have been developed into fine defensive forward under Jarvis and might bring some offence too with wingers who can play good hockey atleast 10-12 minutes per game.

Old
05-29-2004, 02:40 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
i doubt that this is has anything to do with laperiere with the habs... i mean bg cant talk with him before july 1st?????

anyway... id love to see him in montreal... he's like begin.... they both want to play for us

Old
05-29-2004, 03:16 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I'd love to see a Langdon Begin Laparriere 4th line. Bulis Dowd Ward could take the 3rd line. It would be a real treat to see Begin and Laparriere crash and banging out there.

Laparriere seems like a really solid addition and a Gainey type of player/acquistion. Hopefully BG can get it done!

Old
05-29-2004, 03:21 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I will be very happy if Lappy sign with thhe habs but I will more happy if Andre Roy come here at montreal

Old
05-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:
That's not true, he played a lot of center this year on the third line and won more than 54% of his faceoffs.
Well, in the limited number of Kings games I saw this year it was an Avery-Belanger-Laperriere line. I can't recall when the trio was formed though, maybe Lappy played center before they were put together?

Old
05-29-2004, 03:32 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
I will be very happy if Lappy sign with thhe habs but I will more happy if Andre Roy come here at montreal

I hope Roy never plays here, he takes too many stupid penalties. I dont' like his game at all.

Old
05-29-2004, 04:37 PM
Go Habs Go

I want Barnaby, we need more aholes! We're too nice, for once why can't we be the aggressors?

Old
05-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I hope Roy never plays here, he takes too many stupid penalties. I dont' like his game at all.
Yeah, Roy is a bum. I don't like his game at all, he's not a pest, he's a moron..

Old
05-29-2004, 05:32 PM
NewHabsEra*

Sorry guys but If ever Laperriere sign here, then you can forget about any other checking line centers like Dowd!

Plekanec deserve a spot and this team is probably gonna roll 3 lines that can generate some offense with regularity!

Depth chart at center would look like that IMO:

Koivu
Ribeiro
Plekanec
Laperriere

Old
05-29-2004, 07:20 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
Dowd will probably go back to Minnessota...
While I do believe there is a possibility Dowd could go back to Minnesota, let's not forget that Jim really liked the moments he spent with Montreal. Actually, in an interview with Le Journal de Montréal, he said about 4 weeks ago, right after the Habs got eliminated, that these 2 months were the greatest of his whole career (which started in 1989, so that must mean something).

I'm not Dowd's conscience, nor do I know what are his plans for next season (if hockey there is) but this kind of comments is always encouraging signs.

Old
05-30-2004, 02:15 AM
Marchy79

Personally, After a bit of looking, I gotta say I prefer Jim Dowd to Ian Laperriere anytime. Dowd plays a very solid game, and furthermore, he's proven to be an effective, acceptable offensive threat on the third line (Dowd can pot as much as 35-40 points with good linemates... Laps hasn't had the same success inthe same position). Dowd IMO should be resigned over Laps... I do gotta say I have changed my mind from earlier, but Considering our team's wingers, I just think Dowd is a better fit for the overall picture.

Old
05-30-2004, 03:00 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Yeah, Roy is a bum. I don't like his game at all, he's not a pest, he's a moron..
He's also a big fat phony.

A New Yorker using the name Roy (pronounced like Patrick Roy).

PHONY!

Old
05-30-2004, 03:16 AM
tinyzombies

This is all fun to speculate, but isn't Lappy a Group II FA? He's only 30, one more year to go for UFA status. LA would definitely match. Besides, he's no defensive stud or skater or giant and we already have Begin. If he signs a one-year deal in LA, we might get him next year...

I've been researching Grant Marshall a bit, the other guy we're interested in. He's a bit undersized and his defense is only average and so is his skating. He has very few offensive skills. He's got guts and character though.

The best free agents out there for us imho are Richard Matvichuk, Jiri Slegr, and Craig Conroy.

Slegr is a lefty that plays right D, so I assume he can play the left side and he would add size and physicality as well as a dependable puck mover (something we BADLY need) and he can play the point on the PP too. Good mobility too.

Rolston seems like an obvious choice, but is rumored to be a bit of a jerk. He definitely wants to be on a scoring line, but he's not the brightest bulb and doesn't come to play every night.

Conroy might be a bit of a tweener and lord knows we have plenty of those. But his playmaking/defense/speed package would help us a lot. This is especially true since we have a below average group of forwards (defensively) and are about to sign a bad defensive winger in Kovalev.

I'm a huge Matvichuk fan and I hope we find a way to get him, even if we overpay a bit. He can play both sides, has good wheels and is a great 2-way defenseman. Having a guy who can play equally well at a top level on both sides is important for us since Brisebois is leaving soon and our defense is in flux. He would also be the ideal partner for Komisarek's development years (as he was the ideal partner for Hatcher).

If we sign Kovalev and give Komisarek more ice, we have to upgrade our checking lines and tweak our defense to compensate. We also need another puck mover.

A big center would be great, but there isn't one on the market, unless we made a big pitch for Allison and were able to get him to sign for a reasonable amount ($5.5-6 mil), which is unlikely.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-30-2004 at 03:40 AM.
Old
05-30-2004, 03:28 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
As a huge KINGS fan I can't see us losing Lappy. It's just to fun watching him and Avery on the ice. So, we would probably match any offer.

Old
05-30-2004, 03:38 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Personally, After a bit of looking, I gotta say I prefer Jim Dowd to Ian Laperriere anytime. Dowd plays a very solid game, and furthermore, he's proven to be an effective, acceptable offensive threat on the third line (Dowd can pot as much as 35-40 points with good linemates... Laps hasn't had the same success inthe same position). Dowd IMO should be resigned over Laps... I do gotta say I have changed my mind from earlier, but Considering our team's wingers, I just think Dowd is a better fit for the overall picture.
I have nothing against James D either, if he chooses to stay he would look fine on 3rd line RW. For me, three things what make the difference are; Laperriere is some 6 years younger, he would bring much needed grit and hes better faceoff man too.

I dont expect Lappy to collect more than about 25 points per full season - but isnt that pretty close to what Dowd would collect as full time 3rd liner without much PP time? Hes had some good years with Minny team pointswise, but you need to realize who they have there in their depth charts.

Old
05-30-2004, 03:42 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I have nothing against James D either, if he chooses to stay he would look fine on 3rd line RW. For me, three things what make the difference are; Laperriere is some 6 years younger, he would bring much needed grit and hes better faceoff man too.

I dont expect Lappy to collect more than about 25 points per full season - but isnt that pretty close to what Dowd would collect as full time 3rd liner without much PP time? Hes had some good years with Minny team pointswise, but you need to realize who they have there in their depth charts.
Lappy isn't a UFA tho.

It also depends who Dowd plays with. YOu can't have Bulis, Dowd and a soft checking line center. That's a bad line.

Dowd would be fine as a 4th line center. He'd be serviceable as a third line split centerman/right winger, though his defense is only average and he's not that big.

Old
05-30-2004, 03:57 AM
Marksman

Quote:
This is all fun to speculate, but isn't Lappy a Group II FA? He's only 30, one more year to go for UFA status. LA would definitely match. Besides, he's no defensive stud or skater or giant and we already have Begin. If he signs a one-year deal in LA, we might get him next year...

I've been researching Grant Marshall a bit, the other guy we're interested in. He's a bit undersized and his defense is only average and so is his skating. He has very few offensive skills. He's got guts and character though.

The best free agents out there for us imho are Richard Matvichuk, Jiri Slegr, and Craig Conroy.

(...snikt...)
Laperriere has played 10 seasons and made only 900k, so he has his once in a life time option to become group V free agent. Similar case to Martin Lapointe couple years ago.

I would rate Laperriere couple notches higher than Begin. Hes couple inches taller and 10+ lbs heavier to take that pounding their game is. Not exactly greybeard but he would bring leadership intangibles too.

Marshall undersized? Isnt he around 6'1 200lbs? He had pretty bad year with NJ, his first in East and no playoffs because of fighting injury, but I'm sure Gainey can make him bounce back.

Somehow I think Calgary will put fight keeping Conroy there and if we managed to lure him here, we would have problem what to do with Ribeiro. Having Conroy on 3rd line would be terrible waste of money and talent.

Last edited by Marksman: 05-30-2004 at 04:01 AM.
Old
05-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Somehow I think Calgary will put fight keeping Conroy there and if we managed to lure him here, we would have problem what to do with Ribeiro. Having Conroy on 3rd line would be terrible waste of money and talent.
I agree and I would much rather see conroy on the 2nd line than Ribs, Conroy is such a great player. I don't think the acquisition would happen so the Ribs-Conroy conflict would not happen, but that wouldn't be the worst conflict to have!

Old
05-30-2004, 02:29 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Marshall undersized? Isnt he around 6'1 200lbs? He had pretty bad year with NJ, his first in East and no playoffs because of fighting injury, but I'm sure Gainey can make him bounce back.
Since Lappy is a Group V, then yeah, why not. But I think he's a 4th liner tops. His skating and defense are only average, but he's a good energy guy.

Marshall is listed at 6-0, 194, so I assume he's smaller. His defense isn't that great and neither is his skating according to scouts in the Forecaster. He's a fourth line right winger, basically.

The reason I listed Matvichuk and Slegr as guys we could use is because our defense coughs the puck up too much and who knows if anything comparable will be on the market next year. If anything I think Matvichuk is an underrated two-way defenseman with very good mobility. I would overpay for him to the late 2 mils. But Toronto will make a huge pitch for him I'd assume. Would be better if he was on our side instead of nullifying Kovalev! Slegr did a solid job for Boston in the playoffs...

Plus if we saddle the job of breaking Komisarek in with Souray, we essentially nullify our #1 defenseman.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-30-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old
05-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
As a huge KINGS fan I can't see us losing Lappy. It's just to fun watching him and Avery on the ice. So, we would probably match any offer.
Sorry you don't have the right to match with Lappy. Its his choice as to where he plays, thats his right as a group 5.

The team he's grown with L.A. vs His childhood favorite Mtl

Old
05-31-2004, 05:34 AM
Marksman

Quote:

Marshall is listed at 6-0, 194, so I assume he's smaller.
Where? Just curious... those look like his draft day numbers.

I did some googling and almost everywhere (except hockeydb) hes listed at 6-1/200.

Closed Thread