HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gordie Clark Dodges Bullets? Tarasenko Extending KHL Contract?

Old
08-11-2010, 03:19 PM
azrok22

vCash: 500
Gordie Clark Dodges Bullets? Tarasenko Extending KHL Contract?

Not sure where to put this since he isn't our prospect, but given the McIlrath backlash, I think it deserves a thread. For everyone that wanted Tarasenko at the draft, we may have dodged a huge bullet:

From dchesnokov on Twitter [Yahoo's Puck Daddy - very reliable on Russian rumors]

Quote:
In other reports out of Russia, Blues 2010 1st roud pick (16 overall) Tarasenko is close to signing an extension with his KHL club. *sigh*
Interesting, to say the least. I think McIlrath was our guy regardless, but it is also possible that we liked Tarasenko, but learned something when we sent Lutchenko to meet with him in Russia?

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Thanks for the update, and regarding your point, yes, classic example of fans jumping to conclusions.... Fans seldomly talk about what transpires during the teams meetings with the players at the combine and how that impacts their draft pick decisions, and in this case, Lutchenko's meeting with Tarasenko overseas... They may have gotten a hint or indication that may have caused concern was to whether the players primary motivation was to come over to the NHL right away... Conversely, their meeting with McIlrath may have gone very well.. He may have oozed character and impressed them with how he handled his response and carried himself...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Pizza

The Rangers are known to have very reliable information regarding Russian prospects.

It will be interesting to see what transpires here, but McIlrath seems to have been the pick all along.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Thanks for the update, and regarding your point, yes, classic example of fans jumping to conclusions.... Fans seldomly talk about what transpires during the teams meetings with the players at the combine, and in this case, Lutchenko's meeting with Tarasenko overseas... They may have gotten a hint or indication that may have caused concern was to whether the players primary motivation was to come over to the NHL right away... Conversely, their meeting with McIlrath may have gone very well.. He may have oozed character and impressed them...
Or a classic example of him basing his decision on where he was drafted...

Right, wrong or otherwise, places like NY, LA, Chicago, etc. are going to be more appealing to a prospect than St. Louis.

Either way, there's no way to draw any conclusions from this.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:36 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

while i certainly wanted tarasenko (or burmistrov) to be our first choice, i realized at the time that there must have been something that caused him to drop so precipitously. obviously, vlad lutchenko went to speak to him and his father and wasnt confident that he could get taraenko to committ to coming north america. if true, passing on him @ 10 was the correct move.

having said that, passing on tarasenko doesnt make mcilrath a better or a worse pick at #10. we dont know to what degree being drafted by the blues changed his decision to come over. nyc might have made his decision different.

based on what ive learned about dylan in the last little while, im more confident that gordie in fact swung for the fences with big mac. in fact, the more i hear about big mac, the more comfortable i become with this pick.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Right, wrong or otherwise, places like NY, LA, Chicago, etc. are going to be more appealing to a prospect than St. Louis.

I'd like to know if it's a 1 year extension or multi-year....

I think it's obvious he would not be interested in leaving the KHL for the AHL....

Old
08-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Vitto79

Fowler is going to play in Aneheim this yr i bet. lets see what happens there

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

having said that, passing on tarasenko doesnt make mcilrath a better or a worse pick at #10. based on what ive learned about dylan in the last little while, im more confident that gordie in fact swung for the fences with big mac.
Well this doesn't apply to everyone but for a large majority of the people upset with the pick, the primary reason was because they had it set in their heads that we were going to (and should have) picked Tarasenko...

Old
08-11-2010, 03:39 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Especially without knowing all the details, like how long the extension is for, when it starts (this year or next), if there is an NHL out clause.

On the Blues board they are speculating that it might just be an insurance move so he doesn't have to play in Peoria if he doesn't make the NHL.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Edge

Quote:
I'd like to know if it's a 1 year extension or multi-year....

I think it's obvious he would not be interested in leaving the KHL for the AHL....
Frankly, that was really the only major knock on Tarasenko. I don't think anyone had any major concerns about him as a player. At least none that I ever heard.

At the end of the day it's obvious the Rangers had their pick targeted from a long time ago. I didn't think it was McIlrath, but it's obvious they got the guy they wanted.

Thought interestingly, I know Clark REALLY liked Fowler. I'm curious if there was even a slight pause when they saw he was still there.

Old
08-11-2010, 03:45 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Well this doesn't apply to everyone but for a large majority of the people upset with the pick, the primary reason was because they had it set in their heads that we were going to (and should have) picked Tarasenko...
i think initially i was more upset we took mcilrath than i was that we didnt take tarasenko.

i really wanted an offensive player who could play a top 6 role.

like everyone else, i was kinda blindsided by the pick.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Thought interestingly, I know Clark REALLY liked Fowler. I'm curious if there was even a slight pause when they saw he was still there.
This is amazing if true. I got the impression that the Rangers were giddy with their pick and had no second thoughts whatsoever. I assumed this was because they saw flaws in Fowler and Gormley, or had doubts about the Russians. If what you say is true, it means they just REALLY, REALLY liked McIlrath, which to me is nothing but encouraging. Again, let's hope they're right.

The Tarasenko bit here is not actionable news by the way. Until terms of the contract are released, or somewat offers some insight into his decision making process, I'd hesitate to jump to any conclusions.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Frankly, that was really the only major knock on Tarasenko. I don't think anyone had any major concerns about him as a player. At least none that I ever heard.

At the end of the day it's obvious the Rangers had their pick targeted from a long time ago. I didn't think it was McIlrath, but it's obvious they got the guy they wanted.

During Glen Sather's 5 minute long interview regarding the McIlrath selection his comments seemed to indicate that McIlrath was their #1 choice of the players they anticipated would be available when their pick game up... I forget the exact quote but it was along the lines of "This is who we were targeting and this is who we were going to select" (kind of a rebuff to the detractors who were scratching their heads with their selection with the other players on teh board)... The video should still be hosted on Rangers On Demand...

Old
08-11-2010, 03:48 PM
pwoz

Maybe Columbus is scared now and will trade us Filatov.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
ogie

hate to say it but i called this one. from the mock draft thread on 6/21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
There are too many question marks concerning Tarasenko IMO for the Rangers to take him at 10. He has said he wants to play in Russia for a few more years and develop, and his father is a coach in the KHL. To me that screams of wasting a pick on a guy that either will never come over, or will bolt when he gets assigned to AHL.
pats self on back.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Fowler is going to play in Aneheim this yr i bet. lets see what happens there
I would be completely shocked if he stuck in the NHL this year. He's talented but man he looks soft and not ready. It'll be Sbisa all over again, shying away from hits and coughing up the puck...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:00 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
pats self on back.
I'm not going to dig around, but I didn't want him for the same reason.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Edge

Quote:
hate to say it but i called this one. from the mock draft thread on 6/21

pats self on back.
With all due respect, we have no proof if that was behind the Rangers decision or if they just liked McIlrath better.

I don't really see how you "called it."

Old
08-11-2010, 04:09 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Anything that makes us feel better for not drafting a forward helps lol... Really though I think McIlrath will be just fine in our organization.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I actually did want Tarasenko.. Not sure if his decision would have been the same if he was property of a different team, but what's done is done.

I think 95% of the forum believed we were going with a forward. I definitely wanted one. I recall some people saying things like "Watch us take a dmen" for laughs.

I didn't want to go D, unless a miracle happened where a guy like Fowler dropped. That happened, and as usual, we go left-field.

Dylan has grown on me. I knew that was going to happen too. Kind of guy you like more and more as you read up on him. Still not sold, or convinced this was the best pick for us @10, but I'm not as angry about it now as I was.

It's kind of scary how both my beloved Rangers and Buffalo Bills make some questionable picks on a yearly basis. It's groundhogs day I say.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:19 PM
broadwayblue

Actually this is good news. Now we can trade a 3rd round pick and a prospect for him. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:24 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Just because he may not be giddy about playing in St. Louis, it doesn't mean the same thing would have happened had he been selected by the Rangers, if this is even true to begin with.

Believe it or not, playing here is probably a tad more appealing to Russians than St. Louis.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:

Exactly what I was going to post.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:36 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
With all due respect, we have no proof if that was behind the Rangers decision or if they just liked McIlrath better.

I don't really see how you "called it."
lol way to be a downer and try taking credit away. He called it.

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:46 PM
TreeSapLlama

Even if he was drafted by the Rangers, I don't think many people expected he would come in and immediately contribute to the Rangers. He would spend at least 1 year in the AHL, and IMO playing where he is at is best for his development.

In the interest of not rushing prospects, I would have liked to see him with 2 years more development before he made the Rangers. IIRC, he had this year left on his contract, so if he extends it another year, that is right on par with how he would have been developed anyway, except in the KHL rather then the AHL.

Did you guys really expect if we drafted Tarasenko he would immediatly impact the Rangers? He is good, but not ready.

This news should really only make the Rangers breathe a sigh of relief if the extension is longer then 1 year.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote