HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Belanger to sign (1yr 1.85M)? Possible? trade coming?

Old
09-18-2010, 09:48 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
or the fact that he was offered over 1 million more then what he eventually signed for. . . look at the other FA's in the past few weeks, this was 1 million more then he was getting. i love the caps, but to think this was cause of AO and not that extra 0 on the pay check is too much circle jerking.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Remember a few years back when GMGM went after Pierre Turgeon who ended up taking less money to go to Dallas?

Lets face it...before AO washington wasn't a prime destination for UFAs. We just always ended up overpaying for the likes of Mironov, Housley etc

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Caps are a destination now. Some of that is ineffable, star-power driven cachet, but much of it is also the simple fact that the Caps won a ton of games last year, making them a contender. Vegas has them with the best odds, I believe, to win the Cup this year. Players want to win Cups, so they relish the opportunities to play for teams that seem poised to compete for titles.

It's an advantage, one that the Caps might have made better use of this summer. I tend to doubt that players shunned the Caps this year. I think the Caps ignored the top tier of free agents. The only guys they really wanted were Mitchell, and sort of Belanger (which would have been a re-signing). McPhee is less interested in dipping into the well for free agent defense than I would be, in his place.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 06:44 PM
txpd

I am fairly certain that Mike Knuble had a lot of options. He is a pure character player with a hard to come by skill set. He chose the Capitals. I'd say that says a lot.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:15 PM
fsnoles98

GMGM lost alot of trust of players w/ the Belanger deal

I love the Caps, but it was an @$$ move with Belanger. Yes, this is a cut throat league, but to have no trust with other players in the league about possibly signing here is not a good thing to have over your head. Just a bad business move in a time that could be very good for the Caps.
Thoughts?

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

from what ive read, and its really only Vogels take on it, Belanger's agent is a bit of a noob and didnt act very professionally about the whole thing.... possibly even relaying incorrect information to Belanger.

but like i said, ive only read Vogels take and made some insights into that.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:23 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Great point. I mean, Poti seemed to have absolutely no trust in GMGM, and looked to get out of DC ASAP.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:26 PM
DrPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Great point. I mean, Poti seemed to have absolutely no trust in GMGM, and looked to get out of DC ASAP.
Yeah. He sent GMGM a message that GMGM's ruthless pursuit of the Cup does not jive with his inner feelings about social justice. (!) He's looking to sign with wherever Nylander landed to show his solidarity.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:28 PM
txpd

Yea, I think the players in Washington have a lot of respect for McPhee. They like him. Belanger and his agent? McPhee said that a 3rd party had to agree to a trade first. That 3rd party bailed.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Sign & trade, clearly.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Devil Dancer

Belanger is just a cautionary tale. Keep your ****ing mouth shut.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:48 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

When Gordon is fully healthy he is just as good as Belanger, IMO.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:21 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
The other GM's are laughing, especially Phoenix's. Wishing they could pull off stunts like George did, driving down prices on good players. George may be less likely to pull off handshake deals in the future, or may have to overpay for some players, potentially in dealings with players tight with Belanger Those same players may avoid dealings with George. But it will never be able to be proven one way or the other. He has to overpay sometimes anyways (Corvo), so whatever, time to get over it.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The problem with Gordon is that the last time he played 80 games, it was 2005-06. He actually managed 83 games that year, between the Caps and Hershey, plus 21 AHL playoff games.

Since that season of 104 games, he has managed 71, 67, 63 and 36 games played. You're going the wrong way.

While I agree with the basic, unvarnished premise, it does no good to say that a player who is never healthy is a top asset so long as he stays healthy. Right now, the Caps need to keep an extra center hanging around, so long as Gordon is on the team, because they can predict with near certainty that this guy is going to miss 20-45 games a year — 20 in a pretty good year, more in a bad year for him, in health terms. When your good year is missing 20 games, you're injury prone.

Other than that, I really like his game, much the way that everyone else likes Gordon in his limited, focused role. He's just brittle until proven otherwise.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Yup and yup. Matt Hendricks, come on down.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:16 AM
DrPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Belanger is just a cautionary tale. Keep your ****ing mouth shut.
It's more than that. He turned down a two year deal worth 3 mil. Don't gamble with your salary. Belanger was a moron. Even with his example, Bergfors is gambling a lot of money on this season. Total idiot.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:44 AM
txpd

It thinks its fair to say that many of those missed games in the past have been healthy scratches. He does have a back problem that cost him a lot of games last season. He has said that they finally got that figured out. my understanding is that his back issue turned out to be similar to fehr's back issue which was why he traveled to Hershey for therapy when not playing.

He was great down the stretch this past season and in the playoffs.