HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), BCHL, CJAHL, and its leagues.

10-11 Central Hockey League season

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2010, 11:57 AM
CHL Fan

vCash: 500
Trades yesterday

CHL ON THE WIRE

Kanata acquires Brett Varrin from Kemptville in exchange for Brendan Rouselle.

Brockville acquires a 3rd Round Pick in the 2012 CHL Draft from Kemptville in exchange for Jeremy Nichols

Kemptville acquires Brenden Rouselle and Jeremy Nichols.

Old
09-10-2010, 12:06 PM
CHL Fan

Some Nfld kids to watch in thier rookie year would be Joey Yetman - G- (Carlton Place), played in goal for Team Atlantic in the World Under 17s. There are 3 new players joining from the National Telus Cup bronze medal winners, the St. John's Fog Devils. Dylan Brake - D-man (Gloucester), Alex Powell (D) and Michale Cole (F) with Kanata. Brake and Powell were late cuts with Q teams.

Old
09-11-2010, 05:12 AM
raz

Hey Ottawa guy, i was 50-50 i see you were 3 of 4, good job. Two 3rd period comebacks cost me those two games, oh well lets take a shot at todays games, for fun .

Gloucester over SF 6-3
PLK over Kemptville 7-2
Cornwall over Nepean 6-1
Brockville over Kanata 3-2

Old
09-11-2010, 07:39 AM
hawkeye guy

Hawks over Nepean

Big win for the Hawks over Nepean. The game started off horrible and sloppy but ended very tight and with some good back and forth hockey. Looks promising for Hawkesbury because I think Nepean is a top 5 team in the CHL. Magnan finally looked like a real starter and the back end can finally move the puck and the frowards have some scoring threats. Good job to the staff for progressing this franchise as they said they would. I know, I know, only one game but still looked good compared to last year!

Old
09-11-2010, 09:01 AM
cchlpowerplay

Some great games yesterday to kick-off the CHL season - caught some of the Grads/CP game and it was back and fourth, pretty intense for an opener. Zac Rodier had a great game for CP and is proving he can do more with his hands than just fight. The Colts looked like the real deal but it was against a re-building OJS team - they have a lot of fire power and definitely look like a solid squad. Jacob Laliberte looks like he's a man amongst boys and basically is, not really sure why he's back but I'll enjoy watching him this year! The 2 evening games were interesting with Kemptville coming back from 3-0 against Kanata and the Hawks showing some character in their come back. The Hawks would have lost that game 8-1 last year but they've improved, how much I guess we'll see. They're much older and experienced in the back end and have more skill and speed up front. I'm not sure who picks the game stars but was very surprised 2 Nepean players were first 2 and that the goalie Magnan wasn't 1st Star - he stopped 43-46 and gave them a chance to actually win this game.

Old
09-11-2010, 09:20 AM
BadgerKnight

Rangers Goalie Addition

Yesterday, Pointstreak showed the Rangers with only one goalie.

Friday’s Cornwall Standard-Freeholder article
“The Colts are still waiting word on goaltender Luke Bierworth, who is attending the Sudbury Wolves (OHL) training camp. The Colts expect word as early as today on the goaltender's status. “
http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=2750707
Bierworth now shows on the Rangers roster.

Old
09-11-2010, 09:52 AM
BadgerKnight

Showcase Observations

73s/Stallions
Stallions played through a 2 man deficit in the 1rst period & later in the 1rst & again in the 2nd, the 73s had their own 2 man down situation. All 3 goals in the 3rd period by the 73s were nice as was Cobbold’s goal.

Spencer Cobbold looks good. He likes to move from his right wing position through the middle aiming for the corner on the right side of the goalie. But, he also could be very vulnerable to a hit.

Rouselle & Russo appeared to have their own type of in-game situation occurring. Nick Samoluk is a very good pickup. Clark will log a lot of ice time.

Canadians/Grads
Excellent goal by Borkowski to tie the game at 4. CP regained the lead moments later. Didn’t see the 2nd period but other observers were commenting that the referee’s arms must be tired. CP has added 3 US kids, Durocher, Llewellyn & Kolenda giving CP some very good size up front. The Grads will be sending out a defence combination of Lough, Tansey & Mott mainly & possibly Haffey.

Colts/Senators
Only saw the 3rd period and Lagace’s goal was the prettiest goal I saw at the showcase. Any team loading up will likely see if he is available to be added to their roster.

Raiders/Hawks
Observed the O/T & S/O. As the S/O progressed, one overheard comment was : “Boudreau’s up. It’s over.”

Old
09-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
Hey Ottawa guy, i was 50-50 i see you were 3 of 4, good job. Two 3rd period comebacks cost me those two games, oh well lets take a shot at todays games, for fun .

Gloucester over SF 6-3
PLK over Kemptville 7-2
Cornwall over Nepean 6-1
Brockville over Kanata 3-2
Gloucester, Pembroke, Cornwall & Kanata

Old
09-11-2010, 12:57 PM
seen em all

Where's Varrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Where's Brett Varrin I have not seen his name on Kanata's roster yet is he injured ?

Old
09-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Mushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
TEAMS YOU BET AGAINST WERE .750

Kempville and Smith Falls tie, Nepean and Brockville win, and Kempville could have won, and Smith Falls could have won. What the hell do youknow.... just kidding ....

Old
09-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Mushin

Can someone tell me why there is credit given for shootout goals. Somebody who may never see the corner or make a check gets credit like he did it during the game with a player on his back. Shootout is a way to decide the win but its not hockey.

Old
09-12-2010, 09:01 AM
cchlpowerplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushin View Post
Can someone tell me why there is credit given for shootout goals. Somebody who may never see the corner or make a check gets credit like he did it during the game with a player on his back. Shootout is a way to decide the win but its not hockey.
I agree, not sure what the thinking is but looks like the goal is being given to the winning goal in the shoot-out. Any other league doing this?? Seems very odd to me, as you've stated really didn't work for it in the game - agree the extra point for the team is sufficient, giving an actual goal to the player (who gets the winner) in a shoot-out is a joke!! Even the shoot-out is a team concept where all the goals are important and lead up to an eventual winner.

Last edited by cchlpowerplay: 09-12-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old
09-12-2010, 09:48 AM
raz

I would also agree that the concept of giving the goal to a player regular stats is a mistake. I think the issue is giving credit for a GWG, for league stats as credit is given for an OT GWG. Not sure how they could change this to show a GWG, either eliminate the shootout (that will never happen), eliminate credit for shootout GWG (league apparently wont do that either) or accept the way it is and only the shootout GWG counts, of course that begs the question should the goalie be hit with 1 more against, they would have a fight to implement that.

So dont really have a solution but i definitely dont like it!

Old
09-12-2010, 10:00 AM
raz

Back to the showcase games. Obvious surprises yesterday, Cornwall gets bit. PLK runs into the obvious goalie of the year favorite, Curly was sick yesterday, or that game may have been 10-3. SF shows some heart and Kanata finds a goalie, 60 shots unbelievable game, Wilkins!

Not doing to well in predictions this weekend but the showcase alwats has surprises. So here i go!

Hawks over Ottawa 5-4
Gloucester over CP 3-2
SF over Cumberland 3-2
PLK over Brockville 2-1 in OT

Old
09-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Mushin

Quote:
I would also agree that the concept of giving the goal to a player regular stats is a mistake. I think the issue is giving credit for a GWG, for league stats as credit is given for an OT GWG. Not sure how they could change this to show a GWG, either eliminate the shootout (that will never happen), eliminate credit for shootout GWG (league apparently wont do that either) or accept the way it is and only the shootout GWG counts, of course that begs the question should the goalie be hit with 1 more against, they would have a fight to implement that.

So dont really have a solution but i definitely dont like it!
I don't want to know the GWG. I'd like to know the player that needs to score or his team is the looser. That guy is the clutch. He has no chance at glory and has no chance at GWG and a stat that makes it look like he played a clutch game.

CJHL, start a separate stat for ALL the shoot-out shooters, the GWG, the guy who saves it because that is the best stat, like in baseball with "the save". Leave the real hockey stats alone. I'd like to know the shoot-out stats but the GWG stat mixed with the real stats is an insult to the players who fight for the tie against a Mcgilla Gorrilla in the corners, in the slot, on the boards and have no chance for a superstar Cindrella point. Find me a mucker or a defensman againt Milley who likes a point for someone who only plays a soft game. good luck

Old
09-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Mushin

Quote:
Back to the showcase games. Obvious surprises yesterday, Cornwall gets bit. PLK runs into the obvious goalie of the year favorite, Curly was sick yesterday, or that game may have been 10-3. SF shows some heart and Kanata finds a goalie, 60 shots unbelievable game, Wilkins!

Not doing to well in predictions this weekend but the showcase alwats has surprises. So here i go!

Hawks over Ottawa 5-4
Gloucester over CP 3-2
SF over Cumberland 3-2
PLK over Brockville 2-1 in OT
since I badmothed Ottawa Guy, I better predict:

Hawks will smoke Ottawa, at least by 3
CP over Gloucester
PKL by 3 over Brockville
SF by 3 over Cumberland

Old
09-13-2010, 04:40 AM
raz

Continued to prove my Hockey skills as i went 1-3 yesterday. Ugh!

Most impressive win by PLK over Brockville, Braves were dominated in all areas of the game. Clearly not the same team as a year ago. Zay kid for PLK maybe that surprise kid after a 6 point weekend, Peca seemed to do what he wanted out there, that line (Peca, Milley, Pletsch) will put a ton on the board this year,

Old
09-13-2010, 12:15 PM
canadian hockey

Certainly got my fix of hockey this weekend. Watched close to 7 games.
First off great job by the league & Kanata. Well attended event by NCAA souts.Great approach for providing exposure to these players.
Now for thoughts on the games
PLK 3 solid lines & good D. Peca,Zay & Tosunian can control games at times.Dominated Brockville.Faced a very hot goalie versus Kemptville
Cornwall. Dominated Ottawa . Good 3 lines and top 6 arguably best, offensively in league. They were a bit flat against Nepean & penalties cost them.My first impression of seing Baun was he will be a good one. Back up goalie may be their weakest link.
Brockville, regardless of dissapointing loss to PLK & close one versus Kanata which they dominated but could not burry it, shows they may need to acquire a front end player who can finish. They do have talent.
CPC , wins 2 games.Did not expect that. First game was more Cumb falling asleep ( young team with talent ) & waking up too late rather than CPC outplaying their opponent. Whats up with CPC coach losing it with refs and tearing into players on the bench. It's the start of the season ! I like Lowe Stethem Kotzlar.
Nepean, Kemptville, Cumb & Glou each have 2 good lines and 4 good D. Baring injuries and trades it will get them in the playoffs . Smith Falls =

Old
09-13-2010, 01:17 PM
CHL Fan

Opening Weekend

Did anyone see how Kanata played or any comments?? I watched on CHL Live (reception was not so good) and heard the announcer mentioned Kanata using mostly 2 lines and these lines were on for up to 3 changes of the Brockville team!! Maybe the reason why they led early but lost in the 3rd period in game 1 after being up by 3 going in and lost in OT in game 2. It would be interesting to hear for those who actually seen the game?? It looks as if goalie Wilkins played great in both games for Kanata??

Old
09-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Ottawa Guy

Lots of great hockey on the weekend, more parity than I expected.

Pembroke looks like the class of the league again, followed by Cornwall and Brockville.

Cornwall is going to have a tough time against big physical teams, especially in smaller rinks. ALso, I am not sold on their goaltending yet.

Brockville is lacking the big time scorers and one or two defense, they totally dominated the game against Kanata but struggled to win, against Pembroke it was no contest.......have to expect TG to make some changes in the near future.

Carleton Place surprised and their offense was clicking however got to wonder how long the players will put up with the constant yelling on the bench, it may turn into a long season. Not sure their defense is quite there yet, but great goaltending will bail them out a lot.

Nepean, Kemptville, Gloucester all should be in the play-offs. They all need to fill some wholes or develop some younger players but each shows some promise.

After that I think Hawksbury, Ottawa and Kanata will battle for the final playoff spot.

I did not see enough out of either Smiths Falls or Cumberland to be there.

Old
09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
canadian hockey

Saw 2 periods of Brockville / Kanata. I.M.O. Braves were dominating. Just checked the score sheet & would say a team who outshoots another 59 to 21 would have dominated the play. Kanata's goalie solid & stats re-emphasize the point that Brockville may need a finisher. Braves also ended up with goose egg against strong PLK team.Braves still have talent and top end coach who will put it together to be a top 3 team in this league.

Old
09-14-2010, 07:27 AM
BadgerKnight

Ramblings

Noticed that 1/3 of the Kings' lineup have designated letters, 1 captain & 6 alternate captains. With the possibility of more penalties with the new 2 referee system, the Kings should have someone on the ice to discuss the call.

Gloucester acquired 2 16 yr. old cards from the Jr. B Almonte team. How many 16 years old can a team dress for a game? Anyone know the rules applicable to this specific age group?

Roster information is spotty on some teams but it appears that the Kings continue to lead the league with the most non-Canadians on their team, 6. Close behind is CP with 5 while Brockville & Nepean have 4. Gloucester & Hawkesbury have no players from outside Canaada. Brockville have 12 players from outside eastern Ontario with CP & Nepean having 11 and Cornwall has 10 players not from the Central Hockey League geographical boundaries. Gloucester, Kemptville & Ottawa have the fewest players not from our region, 3. Perhaps, before the next CHL draft, players who want to play hockey locally should advertise they will not report if a team that won't ice local players drafts them. Or, head off to school elsewhere in the province to avoid this bias.

Expected the Kings to have a very good PP but after the Showcase, the Stallions had the best percentage. The Colts low result is surprising considering their firepower. The 73s had the poorest PP & PK stats following this weekend.

What is the status of Kane Abbis-Mills who was traded to the Hakws but someone thought he was trying out with the Canadians? Noticed Craig Laliberte who Cornwall acquired, had 4 assists in games this weekend with the Welland Jr. B team. Realized that the Grads cut S. Dubus who has played over 50 games in the league in the past 2 years.

Paul Dorsey is continuing with the Summerside Western Capitals. Noted that former Stallion, Reed Broadhurst, is starting with the Blind River Beavers. Zac McMichael who got to play 1 game with the Canadians last year has found a home with the Campbellton Tigers. It appears that Grant McDougall is not with the Wellington Dukes at the start of this year.

Old
09-14-2010, 04:17 PM
dirk

The number of 16 years olds is dicated by the number of 16 year old cards held by the team. Gloucester acquired 2 extra cards for a total of 4. Leslie, Lloyd, Pancel and Sexton. Hawkesbury also has 4, Boudreau, Meilleur, Lussier and Gendron. I think Cumberland also has 4 including a goalie. Most teams go with 2 16 year olds.

Ice time is often based on the situation. Teams like Gloucester run 2 lines so it can be tough for a 16 year old to see any time at all while teams in re-building mode will play their 16 year olds regularly.

Question is why sign them if they wont play?

Old
09-15-2010, 05:36 PM
chlfan99

Carleton place won again last night 8-2 over kanata, team scoring in bunches... pretty impressive start to there year so far, but can they keep it up or is it just a early season stride, another question is how long can they keep three goaltenders happy especially since 2 of them are very capable starters in Shackell and Dupuis.

Old
09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
hattrick2000

I watched a few games at the showcase and noticed that Carleton Place played both games in the small rink.

You would think that each team would have gotten at least one game in the big rink.

CHL website has finally been updated since showcase. They certainly push the big 3 (pembroke, Brockville, Cornwall). Maybe they should highlight lower placed teams more often (Kanata's goalie stopping a truckload of shots against Brockville/CP going 2-0)

Looking forward to another great year of hockey from all team.

Closed Thread