HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking for feedback from Thrashers fans!

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2010, 07:34 PM
JtotheLew

vCash: 500
Looking for feedback from Thrashers fans!

Hey all, I'm an Anaheim Ducks fan just here to ask a few questions about your team. Two friends of mine are sports radio talk show hosts at a local station and have decided as an extracurricular activity to branch out and start a hockey blogging website for the upcoming season. I was asked to join them and along with a few others we were each given a division, I was given the South East Division as we thought that it be best none of us cover the division of our favorite teams or even a team rival to be as open minded as possible. I am excited to watch the South East Division with purpose and to share my opinions on it, I am just now trying to get a background and an extensive feel for each team in the division and their fan base as it is a division far removed from what I normally follow and even get a natural dosage of on TV and other media. ( I live around Calgary/Edmonton ).

If you could be so helpful to me as to just give me the general feelings that you as Thrashers fans have about this upcoming season. Things such as,

Your thoughts on the teams holes?

Your thoughts on some of the teams key players and how they will perform this year as opposed to last?

Your prospect pool?

How you think you will perform within both your division and conference this year?

Again thank you so much for your time, and when it is up and running I will be sure to let you guys know where you can find it! We will be doing regular posts and a podcast bi weekly.

Old
08-12-2010, 08:07 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Thrashers are pretty well set in goal for the next 2 years with Chris Mason and Ondrej Pavelec. Young team for the most part. Only 3 projected roster players are over 30 years of age. Mason is the grandpa at 34.

The defense is quick and 4 of 6 projected starters are good puck handlers (Enstrom, Bogosian, Oduya, Hainsey). Sopel and Kulda will be strong stay at home guys. Rick Dudley may pick up another D-man, he has even toyed in interviews by saying Byfuglien could go back to D since that's his original position. There's even been the idea tossed out by bloggers that maybe Bogo moves to wing if Buff goes back. It's all speculation but fun to pass the summer with. Bogosian has bulked up this summer and looks great.

The forwards are much bigger and more aggressive this year. Trading Todd White was the icing on the cake to Thrasher fans who are excited that we will be an aggressively big forechecking team.

Antropov, Byfuglien, Thorburn, Eager, Kane, Boulton, and Andrew Ladd provide grit and size up front. Little, Bergfors, and Peverley are all capable of scoring 25+ goals (Little had 31 in 2008-9). Antropov was carrying the team post-Kovalchuk until sufferring an injury (as did Kane) at the end of the season last year. It's thought that if both had stayed healthy, the Thrashers would have made the playoffs.

The core is very young. Patrice Cormier is expected to make the team out of camp. 6 potential starters are under 24 yrs. old: Cormier (20), Kane (19), Bogosian (20), Little (22), Bergfors (23), Pavelec (22). Toby Enstrom and Dustin Byfuglien are the old men at 25. Ladd is 24.

Waiting in the wings are power forwards Karl Klingberg, Akim Aliu, Jordan Samuels-Thomas and Danick Paquette. Burmistrov and Paul Postma are expected to be high-skill guys on offense and defense respectively.

Goaltending is very deep in prospects with Chris Carrozzi, Alex Kangas, Drew MacIntyre, Peter Mannino, Edward Pasquale, and newly drafted Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel. The core is so deep that besides FP-W, someone else may be placed on a team in Europe because they need to play higher competition.

Other regulars on this thread may have better stuff, hope this helps some.

Old
08-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
Thrashers are pretty well set in goal for the next 2 years with Chris Mason and Ondrej Pavelec. Young team for the most part. Only 3 projected roster players are over 30 years of age. Mason is the grandpa at 34.

The defense is quick and 4 of 6 projected starters are good puck handlers (Enstrom, Bogosian, Oduya, Hainsey). Sopel and Kulda will be strong stay at home guys. Rick Dudley may pick up another D-man, he has even toyed in interviews by saying Byfuglien could go back to D since that's his original position. There's even been the idea tossed out by bloggers that maybe Bogo moves to wing if Buff goes back. It's all speculation but fun to pass the summer with. Bogosian has bulked up this summer and looks great.

The forwards are much bigger and more aggressive this year. Trading Todd White was the icing on the cake to Thrasher fans who are excited that we will be an aggressively big forechecking team.

Antropov, Byfuglien, Thorburn, Eager, Kane, Boulton, and Andrew Ladd provide grit and size up front. Little, Bergfors, and Peverley are all capable of scoring 25+ goals (Little had 31 in 2008-9). Antropov was carrying the team post-Kovalchuk until sufferring an injury (as did Kane) at the end of the season last year. It's thought that if both had stayed healthy, the Thrashers would have made the playoffs.

The core is very young. Patrice Cormier is expected to make the team out of camp. 6 potential starters are under 24 yrs. old: Cormier (20), Kane (19), Bogosian (20), Little (22), Bergfors (23), Pavelec (22). Toby Enstrom and Dustin Byfuglien are the old men at 25. Ladd is 24.

Waiting in the wings are power forwards Karl Klingberg, Akim Aliu, Jordan Samuels-Thomas and Danick Paquette. Burmistrov and Paul Postma are expected to be high-skill guys on offense and defense respectively.

Goaltending is very deep in prospects with Chris Carrozzi, Alex Kangas, Drew MacIntyre, Peter Mannino, Edward Pasquale, and newly drafted Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel. The core is so deep that besides FP-W, someone else may be placed on a team in Europe because they need to play higher competition.

Other regulars on this thread may have better stuff, hope this helps some.
That covers it quite well.

For once our biggest strengths should be in goal and on defense. The offense wont be relying on one person/line nearly as much as in the past and is much deeper now.

Kane moving into the top 6 and getting power play times should have his points skyrocket. If Bergfors can put up 25 and Little gets back to 30 goal form then this team should have a great shot at finishing somewhere between 5-8 in the east

Old
01-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Tarot Sport*

Can I bump this thread?

Vancouver fan here interested in any feedback on Chris Thorburn. Would he be available at the deadline, if the Thrashers drop out of the playoffs?

Old
01-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Whitbread View Post
Can I bump this thread?

Vancouver fan here interested in any feedback on Chris Thorburn. Would he be available at the deadline, if the Thrashers drop out of the playoffs?
He is a very valuable role player and been one of Atlanta's best players this season. I wouldn't accept anything less than a 2nd round pick or a similar round pick prospect.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:22 AM
jazznik
Thrashers forever

Thorburn's everything you want in a 4th liner. Big, stong, good on the forecheck, good defensively, good PKer, can drop the gloves if needed. He just doesn't put up enough points to be anything more than a 4th liner.

IIRC we gave up a 3rd round pick for him and he has improved since then so a 2nd sounds like fair value. However, the Thrashers need to make the playoff's this year and unless we lose every game between now and the trade deadline we are likely to be buyers not sellers.

Old
01-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Neon Phaneuf
Let the kids play

He's one of my favorite Thrashers. He's a hard worker and really shows a lot of heart on the ice. His hands are great for a 4th liner and he is very effective on the forecheck. Coach Ramsay really seems to like him, so I'm not sure if he'll be available.. but a late 2nd would be fair.

Old
01-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Tarot Sport*

Thanks, sounds like he's become a complete player.

Old
01-26-2011, 09:08 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
With the right linemates, I think he could become a 15 goal scorer.

Closed Thread