HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some questions for you Panther fans!

Old
08-12-2010, 08:35 PM
JtotheLew

vCash: 500
Some questions for you Panther fans!

Hey all, I'm an Anaheim Ducks fan just here to ask a few questions about your team. Two friends of mine are sports radio talk show hosts at a local station and have decided as an extracurricular activity to branch out and start a hockey blogging website for the upcoming season. I was asked to join them and along with a few others we were each given a division, I was given the South East Division as we thought that it be best none of us cover the division of our favorite teams or even a team rival to be as open minded as possible. I am excited to watch the South East Division with purpose and to share my opinions on it, I am just now trying to get a background and an extensive feel for each team in the division and their fan base as it is a division far removed from what I normally follow and even get a natural dosage of on TV and other media. ( I live around Calgary/Edmonton ).

If you could be so helpful to me as to just give me the general feelings that you as Panthers fans have about this upcoming season. Things such as,

Your thoughts on the teams holes?

Your thoughts on some of the teams key players and how they will perform this year as opposed to last?

Your prospect pool?

How you think you will perform within both your division and conference this year?

Again thank you so much for your time, and when it is up and running I will be sure to let you guys know where you can find it! We will be doing regular posts and a podcast bi weekly.

JtotheLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Panthers_Fan

Everything besides goaltending. Forward is by far the weakest position and has been for several years.

Your thoughts on some of the teams key players and how they will perform this year as opposed to last?
David Booth missed a bunch of games due to a concussion, so fans are expecting him to return to the form he had two seasons ago. Weiss will continue to be a solid offensive player (more of a 2nd line center, back to the forward depth problem). Frolik in his 3rd season is expected to make new career totals. Grabner is being hyped up a lot since the trade, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

Your prospect pool?
Very solid, definitely top 10 and a case can easily be made for top 5. Markstrom is the star prospect, and Gudbransson was the 3rd overall this year. Panthers had 3 1sts in the 2010 draft and 4 2nds so the prospect depth is stacked thanks to Tallon. One shortfall is a lack of a "star potential" offensive forward. I think Bjudstad has 1st line potential, but he is not hyped as a "star potential" forward and is going to college so he is several years away from the NHL.

How you think you will perform within both your division and conference this year?
SE: 4-5 The Caps are far superior. I think the Hurricanes are also better despite having a bad year last season. I don't know what to expect from Atlanta and Tampa, but I expect at least one of the them will finish higher.

Conference: 12-15. If the team really overachieved I could see them maybe finishing a bit higher. As long as Vokoun is on the team, the Panthers will finish around 12-13 instead of last. It would take something ridiculous like 2 forwards breaking out and putting up close to PPG totals and some of the defensemen stepping up for the team to make the playoffs. To put how remote a chance that is Stillman is the only player on the team to break the 70 point mark in his career and he did it in 2003-04 season.

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:28 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheLew View Post
Hey all, I'm an Anaheim Ducks fan just here to ask a few questions about your team. Two friends of mine are sports radio talk show hosts at a local station and have decided as an extracurricular activity to branch out and start a hockey blogging website for the upcoming season. I was asked to join them and along with a few others we were each given a division, I was given the South East Division as we thought that it be best none of us cover the division of our favorite teams or even a team rival to be as open minded as possible. I am excited to watch the South East Division with purpose and to share my opinions on it, I am just now trying to get a background and an extensive feel for each team in the division and their fan base as it is a division far removed from what I normally follow and even get a natural dosage of on TV and other media. ( I live around Calgary/Edmonton ).

If you could be so helpful to me as to just give me the general feelings that you as Panthers fans have about this upcoming season. Things such as,

Your prospect pool?

Again thank you so much for your time, and when it is up and running I will be sure to let you guys know where you can find it! We will be doing regular posts and a podcast bi weekly.
Red Deer then lol?

To answer your questions, I expect the team to finish last or almost last, but I am very, very excited about our prospect pool.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:46 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
The league and fans of other teams seem we're a lock for a top five pick in the draft. I know it's very possible (I wouldn't say likely, though), but so are the playoffs. Not holding my breath, but it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see us squeak our way to a first round exit, IMO.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 02:53 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

As far as team holes, forwards are by our biggest problem and we're deep in it with a top line that would be a second line on most teams. Our defense I think is mediocre at the moment, but will be better with the prospects we have. I'm not worried at all about goaltending with one of the best in the league and one of the best goaltending prospects in the world coming up in the near future.

I expect Weiss to have a career season as he is in his prime now and showed a lot of promise last season for the first time possibly in his career thus far. If Booth can stay healthy, I'm hoping he makes an impact like he did before his injuries since he says he feels 100% ready to go. I'm interested to see some of the new guys like Grabner, Wideman, etc to see how they produce.

I'm so stoked about the prospects we have and what this team will be like in a couple of seasons once they're rebuilt. I believe Tallon really knows what he's doing to build a winner just like he did with the Hawks.

I think overall, it's going to be a very frustrating season. I predict that we'll finish somewhere between 11th-15th in the conference and either 4th or 5th in the division. Although, if the team stays healthy and a miracle occurs, I don't think it's completely impossible to get a playoff birth and easily lose in the 1st round.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
I think we could push for the playoffs this season if the team's chemistry is really good, if not a top 10 pick this off-season.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:05 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Hmmmm...

-I have been a lifelong Panthers fan living in Calgary area
-Will be entering broadcasting program this fall
-My brother is a lifelong Ducks fan/lived in OC. for awhile

If you want to talk later in the fall on campus or something like that...maybe in studio ? Might be benifical for both of us.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
I think we could push for the playoffs this season if the team's chemistry is really good, if not a top 10 pick this off-season.
I would like to see 2 things happen..

Either we make the playoffs with no heart attack until the last game is finished (7th or 8th seed)

Or

We end up 15th in our conference so at the very least we can muster another top 3 pick in the draft.

NO push for the playoffs
NO mediocre 9th, 10th place finish

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 03:40 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
I would like to see 2 things happen..

Either we make the playoffs with no heart attack until the last game is finished (7th or 8th seed)

Or

We end up 15th in our conference so at the very least we can muster another top 3 pick in the draft.

NO push for the playoffs
NO mediocre 9th, 10th place finish
i love that we worry about winning now... we all know that god does whatever we DONT want for us.. u wanna win, ok I'll make sure you lose! U wanna lose? I'll throw u some extra wins then"

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 05:22 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
If we really wanna lose, we'll trade Vokoun for prospects.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote