HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2010, 05:58 PM
SDIsles34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Poulin with 40 saves for a shutout in todays game

Anyone see this game?

Thats great news. He continues to impress especially in front of what is basically an ECHL team in front of him.

Three Stars
1. BRI - 38 Kevin Poulin 60:00 W 40 shots 40 saves
2. BRI - 24 David Ullstrom 1G 1A +2 4 shots 0PIM
3. BRI - 20 Eric Castonguay

Old
11-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
went to the Mississauga-Barrie game, saw Casey Cizikas - very good player.

Probably the best NHL prospect on that powerhouse Mississauga team. He looks almost too good for junior hockey. He played "ok", still had 1-2-3pts but his points are coming much easier this year.

Last year he was nominated by coaches as the hardest working player in the league. This year, he's scoring much more on a much better team, but clearly is the leader of that team and he's reliable on the ice at all times.

He isn't the type of player that looks for cheap goals/points or stays on the full 2min of the PP.

Skates well, above average, passes well, ok shot, good hockey sense, not spectacular in any way but very solid player.

If all goes well in the AHL next year, I can see him playing in the NHL one day. I don't see him as an offensive player at the NHL level, but could be a good support player or a solid bottom six player.
I could see Cizikas as a solid 3rd/4th liner some day, very similar to someone like Max Talbot in Pittsburgh. I don't think he's got the overall offensive upside to be more than that, but could be a very useful bottom sixer.

Old
11-28-2010, 06:35 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Went to the Connecticut Whale(ers) opening game Saturday night in Hartford. Soundtigers lost 3-2 in OT, but had no business earning even a pt.

Rhet the Rahk was the best Tiger, which isn't saying much b/c collectively they were playing in their zone pretty much the whole game. He had a goal and created chances around the net; has a quick release. I've been following Rahk since the prospect camp, summer of '06. I question whether he has enough speed and skill for the top 6, and size, grit for the bottom 6. For smaller players you want them to have an element of dynamic quickness to compensate for size issues; he just doesn't have that separation speed and I would like him to engage more physically.

Feeegrin was probably the 2nd best forward, which again isn't saying much. He has the same issues as Rahk.

The D man Motherwal was impressive, he had a few nice rushes.

Ullstrom didn't have his best game.

Bridge's puck movement on the PP is better than the Isles.

Lawson kept them in the game and allowed them to tie things up twice. I wish they would scrap this whole 3-goalie rotation system, promotes continuity.

Old
11-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post

Thats great news. He continues to impress especially in front of what is basically an ECHL team in front of him.

Three Stars
1. BRI - 38 Kevin Poulin 60:00 W 40 shots 40 saves
2. BRI - 24 David Ullstrom 1G 1A +2 4 shots 0PIM
3. BRI - 20 Eric Castonguay
Great to hear! Poulinator coming through with his 2nd straight shutout, right?

In wilder news, Grand Rapids beat Chicago the other night 10-8. Young Red Wings prospect Thomas Tatar had 2-5-7 on the night. That alone would make him like the 4th leading scorer on the Soundtigers.:-) Ironically, he only had 2-7-9 in his other 21 games this season...

Former BPort goalie Bob Mannino allowed 3 goals on 7 shots.

Old
11-28-2010, 09:33 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Poulin with 40 saves for a shutout in todays game

Anyone see this game?
Poulin is having an amazing rookie PRO season, for a 20 year old. He's 6-3 with a 1.98 GAA and .939 SP. On a team with an ECHL level defense and a terrible offense. Color me extremely impressed. I bet next season he will be a 21 year old rookie with the Isles.

Old
11-28-2010, 09:34 PM
s04

Not surprised at all by Poulin's success. Great goalie

Old
11-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Sneekypete

Poulin played very well again, bo back to my post the other day about him and its pretty much the same. He is playing very well with good puck management and lateral movement.
The team played ok around him but looked a litttle tired and always seemed to be holding on.

Old
11-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
I'd like to add that Ullstrom still looks pretty good, as well as Rakhashani.

Old
11-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Halakness Monster

vCash: 50
Are we going to copy vancouvers LOU chant? We could scream POO everytime he touches the puck. Just spittballing ideas.

Old
11-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 View Post
Are we going to copy vancouvers LOU chant? We could scream POO everytime he touches the puck. Just spittballing ideas.
lol.... Sorry, but immaturity sometimes gets the best of me.

Old
11-29-2010, 01:01 AM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Poulin is having an amazing rookie PRO season, for a 20 year old. He's 6-3 with a 1.98 GAA and .939 SP. On a team with an ECHL level defense and a terrible offense. Color me extremely impressed. I bet next season he will be a 21 year old rookie with the Isles.
you know, i was just thinking about how poor of a roster bridgeport has....kind of built like the big club.

Old
11-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDog View Post
you know, i was just thinking about how poor of a roster bridgeport has....kind of built like the big club.
Seriously! Judging by the names, our BPort team could easily be an ECHL team. Sure, injuries and call-ups have played a role, but there's not even one bonafide, proven 40 point AHL man amongst the forward group we've been sporting in recent nights.

All the more impressive that Ullstrom and Rakhshani continue to put up very modest, but decent rookie production.

This said, the guys that are here are giving an honest effort and doing what they can, however limited it is. Solid goaltending seems to have kept them in it.

Anyone know how long Hisey is out, because he's the type of guy who can generate a little more up front in the skills department.

Amazing though to think that our BPorters went into yesterday's game without Hamonic, Reese, Kohn, Katic, Martin, Joensuu, Sim, Hisey and Bailey.

In addition, Colliton does very little offensively. What the heck happened to the guy who had 54 AHL points as a rookie???

Old
11-29-2010, 09:33 AM
s04

I don't really know the other goalies in your organization, but do you think Poulin will get a chance for the No.1 spot with the Islanders?

Old
11-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrob08 View Post
I don't really know the other goalies in your organization, but do you think Poulin will get a chance for the No.1 spot with the Islanders?
About 95% of goalies get upwards of 2 to 3 years seasoning in the AHL. I think he and Nillson will be the 2 guys battling for a spot assuming Nillson comes across the pond.
From the times I have seen Poulin, i think he has all the tools and may quickly become 1 of the more well known goalie prospects in hockey. That is assuming he keeps progressing his game and challenging himself to take it to the next level.

Koskinen reminds me of Steve Valiquette. Maybe its just his size but I see him being a long term back up somewhere unless he gets better controling the puck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Seriously! Judging by the names, our BPort team could easily be an ECHL team. Sure, injuries and call-ups have played a role, but there's not even one bonafide, proven 40 point AHL man amongst the forward group we've been sporting in recent nights.

All the more impressive that Ullstrom and Rakhshani continue to put up very modest, but decent rookie production.

This said, the guys that are here are giving an honest effort and doing what they can, however limited it is. Solid goaltending seems to have kept them in it.

Anyone know how long Hisey is out, because he's the type of guy who can generate a little more up front in the skills department.

Amazing though to think that our BPorters went into yesterday's game without Hamonic, Reese, Kohn, Katic, Martin, Joensuu, Sim, Hisey and Bailey.

In addition, Colliton does very little offensively. What the heck happened to the guy who had 54 AHL points as a rookie???
If i recall and its cloudy Colliton played with Hamilton and Bergy that season. Hamilton was 2 steps infront of anyone offensively that season.
Also it seems as Colliton gets older his hands get harder and are now made of granite.

Old
11-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Brunomics

Poulin is the reason why I think Roloson(this is if DP stays healthy) could be expendable at the trade deadline to a team that needs a goalie. If he keeps playing like this how can you even think about keeping him in the AHL another year? The guy is just playing out of his mind and there is going to be no way to keep him down there.

I think Koskinen does have potential but like Chapin said I think he is more like a Valiquette as well. I hope he can change my mind but that's what I see him as.

Old
11-29-2010, 10:48 AM
the sweetener

i think both koskinen and lawson arent playing their best because of the goalie rotation. i think theyre both the kind of players who benefit for more playing time.

Old
11-29-2010, 12:02 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

one has to wonder since the AHL failure plays the system the parent failure plays over three years how adversely it affects the gameplay of the entire forward and D corps.

I'm kinda counting on the numbers going up once a stable coach is brought in. Or if, I should say.

Old
11-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Zanny

With Dipietro signed up as our starter until 2021, what is the point of developing a starting goalie in our system if itís not to use him as trade bait? If Dipi stays healthy this year and next, I guarantee that Poulin will be traded.

Old
11-29-2010, 02:05 PM
s04

Like you guys said, Poulin has all the tools to succeed. Great goalie, can win a game all by himself. Very athletic, breathtaking saves.

I've seen him play for 4 years in junior, one of the best in the league (QMJHL)

Old
11-29-2010, 02:13 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanny View Post
With Dipietro signed up as our starter until 2021, what is the point of developing a starting goalie in our system if itís not to use him as trade bait? If Dipi stays healthy this year and next, I guarantee that Poulin will be traded.
I doubt it very much. First off, DP is 29 going on 35 (body wise). There is no guarantee of him staying healthy for two years straight. I'm pretty sure they trade Roloson to the highest bidder come trade deadline. Poulin will be with the big club fulltime next season, and play 25-30 games. The following season, I bet he splits 50-50 with DP, if DP is still healthy. Then again, with our management, you may be right, they may trade Poulin in a year or two.

Old
11-29-2010, 04:50 PM
SDIsles34

Congrats to deHaan and Cizaskis getting named to Canadas WJC Camp Roster

Old
11-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

The goaltending situation will become interesting, because with Poulin's rise the past two seasons and the potential that, honestly, each of Nilsson and Koskinen have (whether they end up being long-term projects or actually develop quickly), this will only create options for management.

We as fans must hope that the Ricky of the past three games is the one we're gonna see a LOT more of for the remainder of this season and the years to come, because he likely is gonna be around for a long, long time.

It would be awesome if one of our youngins develops to the point where he and Dipietro can effectively split games 45-35, so to speak, while the other two turn into prime trading pieces.

Old
11-29-2010, 10:52 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Poulin is the reason why I think Roloson(this is if DP stays healthy) could be expendable at the trade deadline to a team that needs a goalie. If he keeps playing like this how can you even think about keeping him in the AHL another year? The guy is just playing out of his mind and there is going to be no way to keep him down there.

I think Koskinen does have potential but like Chapin said I think he is more like a Valiquette as well. I hope he can change my mind but that's what I see him as.

I would normally agree, but do you really want to put Poulin out there as a 20 year old rookie in front of the Isles current lineup? You do that and his confidence will disappear faster than a virgin with erectile dysfunction.

I think we have to keep Poulin away from the NHL until we actually have an NHL team he can play for.

Old
11-30-2010, 01:42 AM
OlTimeHockey

Seconded. 2012 I wouldn't mind him seeing some games, and maybe get a serious shot in camp in 2013, but until then he just gets better and better.

Old
11-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I would normally agree, but do you really want to put Poulin out there as a 20 year old rookie in front of the Isles current lineup? You do that and his confidence will disappear faster than a virgin with erectile dysfunction.

I think we have to keep Poulin away from the NHL until we actually have an NHL team he can play for.
Honestly... no I wouldn't want him to play for this Isles team as they currently are. But I feel with him it's looking like it's going to come to a point if he keeps getting better that is it really good for him to hold him back and not challenge him at the next level? We talk about Snow rushing guys like Bailey but what about holding a guy like Poulin back because of the lineup? I feel holding up his natural progression because of the crappiness of the team could be detrimental to his development as well.

But this is still at least 3-4 months from now. A lot could change, Poulin could tail off. The Isles could win 10 in a row. There are a lot of factors to consider from now until then. But I feel that he might be the type of player that you just don't want to hold back but instead will grab the reins and keep moving forward.

Closed Thread