HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2010, 01:52 PM
NYI78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Hey hey Poulin is the one that got the win, he didn't play the two other games.

From the day he was drafted I always questioned the pick from Snow. He does have potential but it was overkill now especially with the way Poulin and Anders Nielsen are playing at the moment. I wish they drafted Ryan O'Reilly with that pick would've been a real nice addition to this team.

the team is either really good or really bad.mostly really bad.nothing in between ..the goalies not named lawson have been fine..lawson needs a conditioning stint somewhere...injuries are mounting there too and they have NO depth...

Old
11-09-2010, 01:53 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Hey hey Poulin is the one that got the win, he didn't play the two other games.

From the day he was drafted I always questioned the pick from Snow. He does have potential but it was overkill now especially with the way Poulin and Anders Nielsen are playing at the moment. I wish they drafted Ryan O'Reilly with that pick would've been a real nice addition to this team.
Let's be clear- Poulin came on last season, and was looking more like a longshot/bust than a goalie who looks like he will play in the NHL one day if things keep going well.

Nillsson was a relative unknown, as far as SEL performance since he was in the junior league when drafted- he too has come on- but only this season, really.

Koskinen is still a fantastic prospect, but was always more of a project because of his strange ascendancy through the Finnish league- late start, getting use to his huge frame, etc. He was drafted with the thought he would be able to play this year if needed- but he lost a whole season last year.

Now Poulin comes in and plays lights out- think the kid is under just a little bit of pressure?

Nice problems to have, but as is often said here, plenty of other teams passed on O'Reilly (who isn't exactly setting the world on fire anymore btw)...Koskinen was, and remains a solid draft choice given the state of the Islanders goaltending system at the time.

Old
11-09-2010, 01:59 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I actually have to say that from what we've seen (the prospect camp and his preseason), I don't see him being as talented as some suggest.

Basically, unless he becomes MUCH stronger on his skates and against bodily pressure, any skill he may have will be reserved for the ECHL-like leagues that dot the world's hockey maps...
Yup. In the two games I saw (scrimmages that lend themselves to talent showcasing), limited albeit, he didn't ooze with the talent we've all read about. To make things worse, he floated around the ice and was more of a passenger than anything else.

I'm higher on Petrov, just wish we can get a sample of this kid's play.

Old
11-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

I saw the Islanders prospect game, and both Isles-Bruins games (I live in Boston).

Kirill Kabanov clearly had the most playmaking ability of any prospect in all three of those games. It isn't even a contest. He also did not shy away from going into the corners, but he just lacks edge to his game (he is probably too small to push people around). He also uses his large albeit skinny frame extremely well - once he grows into his body we'll be able to better evaluate his NHL career potential. His offensive instincts are excellent, and his defensive instincts are good for a goalscorer his age. What more can you ask for?

In the prospect games he was kind of showboating, but versus the Bruins he definitely took things more seriously - he just didn't finish. The Bruins had some good D prospects, and at times he just blew past them with some moves.

The upsetting thing would be if he ends up like just another Viktor Kozlov, and not something truly special. We won't know about Kirill Kabanov until we know about Kirill. That's what happens when you draft mystery wild card players, and why some GMs don't regret passing on him even in the third round.

Follow his season here: http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/roster/show/id/7847

Old
11-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Soundtigers heading south this week.

Their scoring woes aren't likely to be lindered with Hisey (leading scorer with 11 points in 12 games) and Dibenedetto out for the trip and maybe longer. Bourbeau has been pretty good recently and he's not making the trip either. Hilbert apparently isn't close to ready. Sim, of course, has been recalled.

Seems like they'll have Morency up and an ECHL kid named Svendsen, who - granted - spent pretty much all of last season in Binghampton (20 points). Apparently they're looking to call up someone else.

In any case, an offense that had Jon Sim motoring the last two victories will now be without the players above, so this could be a rough trip.

Personally, I see no reason to have each of Poulin, Koskinen and Lawson rotating at the AHL level. Just seems ridiculous to me, especially with so many options to loan players. Teams always have a need for goalies.

Old
11-10-2010, 09:17 AM
ndgolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Skating? I would say Joensuu like at this point, but with time to develop- power is the key here for Anders (check this old Hockey News report on him http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...mblin-man.html). From the video I have seen, he seems to be a classic north-south power forward, with good enough hands to carry the puck at his top speed- not explosive, but again, that's not his game. He will be a corner man- but it's not like his skating has been mentioned as an issue as far as I have read...plus his athletic pedigree will allow for improvement.

His plus-minus was terrific last year in the USHL, and he has been responsible so far this year. His job will be to cycle and crash the net as a (hopefully) second liner in the NHL, and at worst a mucking third liner with a bit of scoring touch.

This kid continues to impress for me because he seems to be picking up where he left off last season, but now he is in the NCAA. He is looking like a huge steal so far for the Islanders.

A team with Anders and other big-bodied players like Ullstrom, Petrov, Nelson, and Kabanov once he fills out will complement Tavares, Okposo, and Bailey nicely.

Nay, it's still dark- but there are better days ahead lads.
A couple of ND notes, Lee was switched from Center to LW this year as Notre Dame struggled with scoring last year. He started the first five games with Seniors Ben Ryan and Ryan Guenzel, players who are defensively responsible but are not high powered offensive types. They have since move Lee with fellow freshman, Bryan Rust and TJ Tyan who is a very talented play-maker.

As far as strength of schedule, the CCHA is very deep this year, with Miami, Michigan, Michigan State all off to solid starts. With four teams in the top ten the CCHA should be a solid testing ground for Lee this season. Notre Dame is #1 in the conference and travels this weekend to Michigan.

Lee's strength tends to bear out against tougher competition. Funny you should describe his North-South skating style. Here is a clip on Yahoo from his High School days showing that exactly.

http://espanol.video.yahoo.com/watch/4506248/12074103

Old
11-10-2010, 10:18 AM
the sweetener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Soundtigers heading south this week.

Their scoring woes aren't likely to be lindered with Hisey (leading scorer with 11 points in 12 games) and Dibenedetto out for the trip and maybe longer. Bourbeau has been pretty good recently and he's not making the trip either. Hilbert apparently isn't close to ready. Sim, of course, has been recalled.

Seems like they'll have Morency up and an ECHL kid named Svendsen, who - granted - spent pretty much all of last season in Binghampton (20 points). Apparently they're looking to call up someone else.

In any case, an offense that had Jon Sim motoring the last two victories will now be without the players above, so this could be a rough trip.

Personally, I see no reason to have each of Poulin, Koskinen and Lawson rotating at the AHL level. Just seems ridiculous to me, especially with so many options to loan players. Teams always have a need for goalies.
Morency signed w/ a different AHL team this summer and has been sent to their ECHL affiliate. Don't see the Tiger's getting him

Old
11-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sweetener View Post
Morency signed w/ a different AHL team this summer and has been sent to their ECHL affiliate. Don't see the Tiger's getting him
Ohhhh, I guess I misunderstood Fornabio (BPort writer) in his recent chats with the fans. Seemed like he was saying that Morency was being loaned to the Soundtigers.

I could be wrong though...

Old
11-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Morency is with Bakersfield of the ECHL. South Carolina is loaning them a player, I believe it to be Trent Campbell.

Old
11-12-2010, 10:20 PM
BelovedIsles

Just saw Gregoire with the game winner for UND. In the few games I've seen of him (thank you Foxsports), he's armed w/ a great wrister and decent wheels.

Old
11-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Anders Lee +1, no points, in ND 3-1 win over Michigan. Listening to the game via shoutcast he didn't sound like he had much of a presence on the ice, but could be misleading.

Old
11-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Islander Prophet

what are we waiting for b4 bringing up Hamonic to the Isles...I just want to see what he does in action, just give it a shot for one game...

Old
11-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Anders Lee scores again, on the back half of the ND-Mich double header. He also had the primary assist on the first goal.

The second period just started a few minutes ago.

ND up 2-1.

Now in his 11th game, Lee has 8 goals and 3 assists... and it's not over.

Old
11-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilio View Post
what are we waiting for b4 bringing up Hamonic to the Isles...I just want to see what he does in action, just give it a shot for one game...
He had his chance in camp. He's 20 years old. Let him stay down until at least after the All-Star game.

Old
11-13-2010, 08:44 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
He had his chance in camp. He's 20 years old. Let him stay down until at least after the All-Star game.
I agree, no need to rush him- it's not like he is going to save the season...

Old
11-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Kirill Kabanov didn't play today, according to today's gamesheet.

http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/schedule/show/game/8351

According to the Sun Journal (Lewiston local paper), Kirill Kabanov only returned to practice yesterday after being out with an illness. http://www.sunjournal.com/local-sports/story/941913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Journal
With the return of Bissonnette came the return of another valuable piece of the Maineiacs' offense Friday. Kirill Kabanov, whom the Maineiacs recently acquired in a trade with Moncton, returned to the ice after sitting out a few days of practice with an illness.
By the way... Lewiston is currently on a complete and total domination tear in the OHL.

Old
11-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilio View Post
ANyone that has seen him play in Bport will tell you he is not ready to play in the show.His shot is ready for the big time but his positioning and overall game are a little short on seasoning

Old
11-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Glad to see the BPort boys could pull out a victory last night, even if first in OT.

Old
11-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
ANyone that has seen him play in Bport will tell you he is not ready to play in the show.His shot is ready for the big time but his positioning and overall game are a little short on seasoning
Totally agree with this. Time and time again I hear people saying we need to bring him up now. As of right this minute he is no better off than what we have. He needs seasoning. I think Katic is ahead of him right now.

Old
11-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Totally agree with this. Time and time again I hear people saying we need to bring him up now. As of right this minute he is no better off than what we have. He needs seasoning. I think Katic is ahead of him right now.
Yah I agree Katic and Reese are both ahead of Hamonic presently. Katic`s ability to move the puck up ice is very slick much like I said last year. With time I can see him becoming a poor mans Rafalski. He still needs to work on his defensive game and I wish he would get thicker because we all know he wont get taller.

Old
11-14-2010, 07:23 PM
BelovedIsles

Had my first taste of live Soundtiger action last night. They beat Norfolk 3-2 in OT.

The "Arena" looks more modern than NVMC, that was my first observation.

Ullstrom was the most prominent forward, his size and strength stood out, he's also got good wheels for a big man and can handle the puck with a long wingspan. He played a role in all 3 goals, believe had 2-3 assists by my count. To think, he's one of the younger forwards on the squad and looks better than his teammates; generally it's a young squad sans Wotton (reminds me of another team I know, hmm).

Reese was the most prominent D man. He demonstrated poise with the puck (there were a lot of turnovers), mobility to evade, smart decisions, had a goal from the point; seems to be the best all-around D man they have. He's still young, and is one to keep an eye on.

JJ had a goal, I've always like his heavy shot, he doesn't get the time and space to unleash it at the NHL level (due to his mobility issues). He keeps up with the play a lot better at the AHL level, obviously. Also seems to be one of Bridge's leaders. I don't know if this guy will ever be an NHL'er, I hope he gets a shot this year.

Hamonic looked average. He may take a year or two to adjust to the pro game. He was exposed a few times one-on-one down low, seemed to also be fatigued. Kicked Blair Jones' ass after Jones gave a questionable hit to another Tiger.

Rhet the Rahk, I went in expecting more. He's a small player with average wheels and avg. strength, good puck skills though. With him and Feegrin I always find myself thinking, if only they were quicker and stronger. Similar players IMO.

Koski was solid and sound. Made the saves he had to. Of coarse he's very lanky in net, for such a big guy I wish he made himself bigger in net though (he's narrow and leaves holes).

Old
11-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Niederreiter Event

Don't know what this was all about, but you guys should check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgCA3...layer_embedded

Old
11-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Mikkel

A bit belated update (sorry, been really busy) on a day where there are infinitely more important news in Islanders-land. Anyway...

Update: 11/15-2010

New York Islanders Top 25 Prospects 2010-2011

#P.NameDOBH.lbs.L/RTeamNatLeagueGPGAPts+/-GPIGAAPct
1FNino Niederreiter8-SEP-926'2205LNew York IslandersSUINHL9112-1   
       Portland Winterhawks WHL8246+3   
2DTravis Hamonic16-AUG-906'2216RBridgeport Sound TigersCANAHL15246-3   
3DCalvin de Haan9-MAY-916’0183LOshawa GeneralsCANOHL1621416+7   
4FKirill Petrov13-APR-906'3209LYugra Khanty-MansiyskRUSKHL174610+2   
5LWKirill Kabanov16-JUL-926'2176RMoncton WildcatsRUSQMJHL2000-2   
       Lewiston Maineiacs QMJHL3011+3   
6GMikko Koskinen18-JUL-886'6202LBridgeport Sound Tigers FINAHL-----62.940.899
7DMatt Donovan9-MAY-906’0190LDenverUSANCAA11336    
8CBrock Nelson15-OCT-916'3185LNorth DakotaUSANCAA12134    
9FMatt Martin8-MAY-896’2192L Bridgeport Sound Tigers CANAHL71230   
       New York Islanders NHL9101-5   
10LWJesse Joensuu5-OCT-876’4212L Bridgeport Sound Tigers FINAHL154711-1   
11GKevin Poulin12-APR-906'1202LBridgeport Sound Tigers CANAHL-----52.610.911
12CDavid Ullström22-APR-896'3189L Bridgeport Sound Tigers SWEAHL144610-2   
13CAnders Lee3-JUL-906'3218RNotre DameUSANCAA118311    
14DBlake Kessel13-APR-896'2210RUniv. of New HampshireUSANCAA9157    
15CCasey Cizikas27-FEB-916'0185RMissisauga St. Michaels MajorsCANOHL18121022+14   
16GAnders Nilsson19-MAR-906'5220LLuleå HFSWEElitserien-----91.870.91
17LWJason Gregoire24-FEB-895'11196LUniv. of North DakotaCANNCAA124610    
18RWRhett Rakshani6-MAR-885'10180R Bridgeport Sound Tigers USAAHL15459-8   
19DAaron Ness18-MAY-905'10170LUniv. of MinnesotaUSANCAA10055    
20DMark Katic9-MAY-895'11185LBridgeport Sound TigersCANAHL15033-4   
21FCorey Trivino12-JAN-906'1180LBoston UniversityCANNCAA8235    
22DDustin Kohn2-FEB-876'1202L Bridgeport Sound Tigers CANAHL14044-4   
23DShane Sims30-APR-886'1195ROhio State UniversirtyUSANCAA11178    
24LWJason Clark27-FEB-926'2185LUniv. of WisconsinUSANCAA7000    
25DAnton Klementyev25-MAR-906'1200RBridgeport Sound Tigers RUSAHL11022-3   

Old
11-15-2010, 03:14 PM
periferal

Nino/DeHaan

Anyone else mildly concerned with Nino's very slow start in Portland?

Conversely....Anyone else giddy with how DeHaan is playing?

Old
11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
redbull
movin'on up

thanks for the update Mikkel!

I'm not at all concerned about Nino just yet. Ryan Johansen's not been lighting in up either. That Ty Rattie kid is apparently very good...Portland has a strong team. It'll be interesting to see how the next 50 games go, how they do when it matters more.

Closed Thread