HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gorges for captain

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2010, 08:16 AM
  #1
Frank Doby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Gorges for captain

It would be a good choice: http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...ine-26433.html

This guy is courageous, comes to play each game. More he is intelligent, very articulate. I think that he has earned the respect of all. He is our 2 or 3 best defensemen presently.

Frank Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:26 AM
  #2
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,396
vCash: 500
Wouldn't mind him one bit, him or Gionta would be awesome IMO.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:30 AM
  #3
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
You don't give the "C" to a guy like Gorges on a team with guys like Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri, Markov, Gill and Moen, who all are absolute leaders and great choices to get a letter on their jersey. A team like the Islanders or the Blues might be a place where Gorges could get the "C" and deserve it. However, I just can't see Gorges being the one showing the way to guys like Gionta, Gomez, Gill and Moen, who all won the cup (and played a great part of their team's respective cup runs), or guys like Markov and Cammalleri, who both compete, and who also proved a lot in the NHL.

Gionta is the logical pick.
Cammalleri is the sexy pick.
Markov is the ideal pick.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:34 AM
  #4
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,396
vCash: 500
So Gorges isn't an absolute leader ?

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:39 AM
  #5
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
So Gorges isn't an absolute leader ?
No, he's not, or at least, he's not as much as guys like Gionta, Gomez, Gill or Moen. He doesn't have their experience, and hasn't proven enough in comparison to those 4 to deserve a letter over any of them. He might be courageous and he might block shots, so was Begin, and as far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't have made him a great captain.

People should just be content with Gorges' game. He's got to work hard enough as it is just to be anything more than a 6th d-man, it would be silly to give him other responsibilities over the ones he's already got.

This is what I mean when I say Gorges is freakin' overrated around here. He's a workhorse who needs to focus on hockey, because of his limited talent. Adding him other responsibilities over the one of focusing on the game would just be too much for him to handle.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:42 AM
  #6
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
No, he's not, or at least, he's not as much as guys like Gionta, Gomez, Gill or Moen. He doesn't have their experience, and hasn't proven enough in comparison to those 4 to deserve a letter over any of them. He might be courageous and he might block shots, so was Begin, and as far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't have made him a great captain.

People should just be content with Gorges' game. He's got to work hard enough as it is just to be anything more than a 6th d-man, it would be silly to give him other responsibilities over the ones he's already got.

This is what I mean when I say Gorges is freakin' overrated around here. He's a workhorse who needs to focus on hockey, because of his limited talent. Adding him other responsibilities over the one of focusing on the game would just be too much for him to handle.
So you were in the room and following the team off the ice all season long last year I'm guessing?

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:47 AM
  #7
Lord Chezz
Registered User
 
Lord Chezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
No, he's not, or at least, he's not as much as guys like Gionta, Gomez, Gill or Moen. He doesn't have their experience, and hasn't proven enough in comparison to those 4 to deserve a letter over any of them. He might be courageous and he might block shots, so was Begin, and as far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't have made him a great captain.

People should just be content with Gorges' game. He's got to work hard enough as it is just to be anything more than a 6th d-man, it would be silly to give him other responsibilities over the ones he's already got.

This is what I mean when I say Gorges is freakin' overrated around here. He's a workhorse who needs to focus on hockey, because of his limited talent. Adding him other responsibilities over the one of focusing on the game would just be too much for him to handle.

The Memorial Cup winning Kelowna Rockets disagree.

Lord Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:49 AM
  #8
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
So you were in the room and following the team off the ice all season long last year I'm guessing?


No, and I don't need to be to know how many better picks there are on a roster loaded with players having a lot leadership/experience. I also don't need to be there to know how Gorges has proven absolutely nothing, compared to guys like Gionta, Gomez, Gill, Moen, Cammalleri and Markov. Would you HONESTLY see those 6 being lead by Gorges? Really?

You don't give the "C" to a guy like Bouillon or Begin only because he's courageous. I don't care about the fact they might not be as good or as effective as Gorges, he still hasn't proved enough to LEAD a team. 3 years ago, he wasn't even an NHLer, and now, he should be a captain?

This is ridiculous.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:51 AM
  #9
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
You don't give the "C" to a guy like Gorges on a team with guys like Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri, Markov, Gill and Moen, who all are absolute leaders and great choices to get a letter on their jersey. A team like the Islanders or the Blues might be a place where Gorges could get the "C" and deserve it. However, I just can't see Gorges being the one showing the way to guys like Gionta, Gomez, Gill and Moen, who all won the cup (and played a great part of their team's respective cup runs), or guys like Markov and Cammalleri, who both compete, and who also proved a lot in the NHL.

Gionta is the logical pick.
Cammalleri is the sexy pick.
Markov is the ideal pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
No, he's not, or at least, he's not as much as guys like Gionta, Gomez, Gill or Moen. He doesn't have their experience, and hasn't proven enough in comparison to those 4 to deserve a letter over any of them. He might be courageous and he might block shots, so was Begin, and as far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't have made him a great captain.

People should just be content with Gorges' game. He's got to work hard enough as it is just to be anything more than a 6th d-man, it would be silly to give him other responsibilities over the ones he's already got.

This is what I mean when I say Gorges is freakin' overrated around here. He's a workhorse who needs to focus on hockey, because of his limited talent. Adding him other responsibilities over the one of focusing on the game would just be too much for him to handle.
What the **** do you know about how he's viewed by the other guys on the team and the respect he gets from them?

Seriously, maybe they all consider him the logical choice while a bunch of people on hockeyboards agree that it's the vets that deserve it. You don't stand in that room and you don't talk to people from the team. Yet you find a way to be condascending about the subject.

Seriously.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:55 AM
  #10
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
The Memorial Cup winning Kelowna Rockets disagree.
Are you actually comparing the CHL to the NHL as far as leadership is concerned?!

Oh wait, Francis Bouillon lead Granby to the memorial cup as a captain. I guess that makes him a great pick to replace Arnott as the captain of the Preds next season?

Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
What the **** do you know about how he's viewed by the other guys on the team and the respect he gets from them?

Seriously, maybe they all consider him the logical choice while a bunch of people on hockeyboards agree that it's the vets that deserve it. You don't stand in that room and you don't talk to people from the team. Yet you find a way to be condascending about the subject.

Seriously.
And those who say Gorges should be the captain of this crop, I suppose, are sitting in this lockerroom and have a more worthy opinion? Yeah, sure... I guess what they say comes right from the bible, just like when people saw Chipchura/Higgins as the potential captains of this franchise, eh?

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:00 AM
  #11
Montreal4Life*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Are you actually comparing the CHL to the NHL as far as leadership is concerned?!

Oh wait, Francis Bouillon lead Granby to the memorial cup as a captain. I guess that makes him a great pick to replace Arnott as the captain of the Preds next season?

Not!
LOL, Arnott doesnt play for the Pred's anymore. BUt I understand what you mean

Montreal4Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:04 AM
  #12
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal4Life View Post
LOL, Arnott doesnt play for the Pred's anymore. BUt I understand what you mean
Did I imply he was playing for the Preds? I perfectly know how he was traded to the Devils for some fringe NHLer and a 2nd round pick (or something as such), and how Weber is touted to be the next Preds captain (might have been officially announced, I didn't follow this file particularly). Still, they're going with a proven guy who will show them the way, and every single player is going to follow him, because he's the one who is the best guy to show them the way. Bouillon being courageous, blocking shots, sacrificing his body and willing to fight against guys who are twice as big as he is doesn't make him a great pick to be captain. And this is exactly what people are basing themselves on to say Gorges would make a great captain.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:04 AM
  #13
goforit
Registered User
 
goforit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
No, he's not, or at least, he's not as much as guys like Gionta, Gomez, Gill or Moen. He doesn't have their experience, and hasn't proven enough in comparison to those 4 to deserve a letter over any of them. He might be courageous and he might block shots, so was Begin, and as far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't have made him a great captain.

People should just be content with Gorges' game. He's got to work hard enough as it is just to be anything more than a 6th d-man, it would be silly to give him other responsibilities over the ones he's already got.

This is what I mean when I say Gorges is freakin' overrated around here. He's a workhorse who needs to focus on hockey, because of his limited talent. Adding him other responsibilities over the one of focusing on the game would just be too much for him to handle.
How can you say that? If you don't have VIP tickets to the locker room, you can't. He doesn't have the same experience as the other guys you mentionned, but sometimes, when you are a real leader, being vocal and leading by actions is all you need.

I know they aren't in the same class, but Toews, Crosby (only to mention them) are captain of their team at the age of 22-23. Do they have the experience of a Modano, Iginla? No, but they probably know when and what to say and the others listen to them because they have respect for them.

The way Gorges plays. All the sacrifices he makes for his team, I think he's got respect from is teammates.

My choice would be Gionta or him. But this summer, Gorges seems to be «the face» of the team. I think it means something...

goforit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:07 AM
  #14
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
How can you say that? If you don't have VIP tickets to the locker room, you can't. He doesn't have the same experience as the other guys you mentionned, but sometimes, when you are a real leader, being vocal and leading by actions is all you need.

I know they aren't in the same class, but Toews, Crosby (only to mention them) are captain of their team at the age of 22-23. Do they have the experience of a Modano, Iginla? No, but they probably know when and what to say and the others listen to them because they have respect for them.

The way Gorges plays. All the sacrifices he makes for his team, I think he's got respect from is teammates.

My choice would be Gionta or him. But this summer, Gorges seems to be «the face» of the team. I think it means something...
Yeah sure, let's pick the last captain to win the cup in the NHL, the second to last captain to win the cup in the NHL (who happens to be the best player of the NHL as well), the best American to ever play the game of hockey, and arguably the best power forward in the game to make a point.

These guys are exceptional talents who proved a lot, and that, very early in their respective career.

Gorges might be a leader in his own way, you want to wait until he actually gets to prove even more before naming him captain. This, and with young guys who are said to be great leaders like Tinordi, Leblanc and Subban coming up, you don't want to give the "C" to a guy for the next 10-15 seasons as well.

People absolutely loved Higgins when their expectations were lower. When they actually started to see captain/superstar material out of him, he was ridiculously bashed, and it's quite a big factor explaining his downfall. People should just be content with Gorges' effort, and stop trying to hype him into something he isn't, or at least, if you prefer it that way, into something he's not ready to be.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:09 AM
  #15
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,551
vCash: 500
I think Gorges will make a great captain some day. As of now, players like Gionta and Markov have done more in the NHL and also have those leadership skills, whether by their actions on the ice or in the locker room.

Due to Gorges age, I think he'll be at an "A" in case of injury but he's not in the top 3 or 4 on the leadership depth chart. I'd say it's something more or less like:

Gionta/Markov 1. a/b
Gill/Gomez 2. a/b
Cammy/Gorges 3. a/b

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:10 AM
  #16
Frank Doby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Gorges is certainly a serious candidate.

Markow would be interested.

Frank Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:15 AM
  #17
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Koivu was also a bad captain, according to Cam A Larry.

It's not about how many freaking times you score, or block shots. It's about what you say to your teammates to get them back on track if something goes wrong, how you handle drama and how you care about the team.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:20 AM
  #18
goforit
Registered User
 
goforit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Yeah sure, let's pick the last captain to win the cup in the NHL, the second to last captain to win the cup in the NHL (who happens to be the best player of the NHL as well), the best American to ever play the game of hockey, and arguably the best power forward in the game to make a point.

These guys are exceptional talents who proved a lot, and that, very early in their respective career.

Gorges might be a leader in his own way, you want to wait until he actually gets to prove even more before naming him captain. This, and with young guys who are said to be great leaders like Tinordi, Leblanc and Subban coming up, you don't want to give the "C" to a guy for the next 10-15 seasons as well.

People absolutely loved Higgins when their expectations were lower. When they actually started to see captain/superstar material out of him, he was ridiculously bashed, and it's quite a big factor explaining his downfall. People should just be content with Gorges' effort, and stop trying to hype him into something he isn't, or at least, if you prefer it that way, into something he's not ready to be.
I took the time to write that they aren't in the same class. I've talk about leaders by the way they play in my whole post. Did you really miss it? I can write it in capitals if you want...

You really missed my point dude...

goforit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:23 AM
  #19
goforit
Registered User
 
goforit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
Koivu was also a bad captain, according to Cam A Larry.

It's not about how many freaking times you score, or block shots. It's about what you say to your teammates to get them back on track if something goes wrong, how you handle drama and how you care about the team.
This. Thank you, this is exactly what I meant, but my english is so ****ing weak...

goforit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:25 AM
  #20
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,438
vCash: 500
Oh boy - I don't think Gorges should be captain either. He's just too young and not enough of a skill set IMO. I'm not crazy about Markov being captain but he deserves to be more than Gorges by far if he wants to be. I'd rather Gionta be captain when it's all said and done.

What about Pleks? Nobody ever mentions his name but he has a strong work ethic, a good skill set and appears to be at ease with the media. And he just made a commitment to the Canadiens. I'd pick him before Gorges.

2007 - 2008: Gorges barely existed on the Canadiens
2008 - 2009: Gorges' play improves
2009 - 2010: he has a great playoff run

Now he's ready for captain and to lead players who have a much better skill set combined with a lot more experience?

If Gorges signs a reasonable contract next year and his play is consistent I'd definitely consider him for captain. I just don't think he's put in his "time" yet.

When I think of a captain I think of an athlete who has a strong skill set and certain leadership qualities. Gorges' work ethic is what it is because it's the only way he can survive. Crosby and Toews are young but are also extremely skilled players. And both are wearing Stanley Cup rings.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:29 AM
  #21
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Oh boy - I don't think Gorges should be captain either. He's just too young and not enough of a skill set IMO. I'm not crazy about Markov being captain but he deserves to be more than Gorges by far if he wants to be. I'd rather Gionta be captain when it's all said and done.

What about Pleks? Nobody ever mentions his name but he has a strong work ethic, a good skill set and appears to be at ease with the media. And he just made a commitment to the Canadiens. I'd pick him before Gorges.

2007 - 2008: Gorges barely existed on the Canadiens
2008 - 2009: Gorges' play improves
2009 - 2010: he has a great playoff run

Now he's ready for captain and to lead players who have a much better skill set combined with a lot more experience?

If Gorges signs a reasonable contract next year and his play is consistent I'd definitely consider him for captain. I just don't think he's put in his "time" yet.

When I think of a captain I think of an athlete who has a strong skill set and certain leadership qualities. Gorges' work ethic is what it is because it's the only way he can survive. Crosby and Toews are young but are also extremely skilled players. And both are wearing Stanley Cup rings.
I'm really not sure if you are serious... One of our biggest warrior or a little girl? Hard choice I know. And ****, it's not about the skill set, what's wrong with you guys.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:29 AM
  #22
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
Koivu was also a bad captain, according to Cam A Larry.

It's not about how many freaking times you score, or block shots. It's about what you say to your teammates to get them back on track if something goes wrong, how you handle drama and how you care about the team.
Go back in my post history. I DARE you to come up with one post where I said how Koivu was a bad captain.

All I said was how Gionta's experience and originally limited talent might make him AN EVEN better captain than Saku. Unless you thought Koivu was the best captain in history, I fail to see how this is an insult to the guy, really.

As for your "what you say to your teammates to get them back on track opinion", you don't know any better than me, so why would your point of view be any more worthy than mine?!

Plus, this is exactly what my point is. Guys like Gomez don't need young players who still didn't prove much to tell them how to work and how to get back on track. They need vets like Gionta, who have more NHL experience, and who work just as hard as Gorges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
I'm really not sure if you are serious... One of our biggest warrior or a little girl? Hard choice I know. And ****, it's not about the skill set, what's wrong with you guys.
Now I'm happy I don't share your opinions. Anybody who still calls Plekanec a little girl doesn't even deserve to be taken seriously.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:31 AM
  #23
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Go back in my post history. I DARE you to come up with one post where I said how Koivu was a bad captain.

All I said was how Gionta's experience and originally limited talent might make him AN EVEN better captain than Saku. Unless you thought Koivu was the best captain in history, I fail to see how this is an insult to the guy, really.

As for your "what you say to your teammates to get them back on track opinion", you don't know any better than me, so why would your point of view be any more worthy than mine?!

Plus, this is exactly what my point is. Guys like Gomez don't need young players who still didn't prove much to tell them how to work and how to get back on track. They need vets like Gionta, who have more NHL experience, and who work just as hard as Gorges.
Where did you get your PhD in psychology?

icerocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:35 AM
  #24
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Where did you get your PhD in psychology?
So it takes a superior degree in psychology to think Gorges shouldn't be captain of a team that oozes leadership. However, it doesn't when you say how Gorges should be captain?

You guys are special. This board only gives credit to their little, close-minded opinions. If anybody doubts Price, say there are better picks than Gorges to be captain, or consider Kostitsyn a stupid player, he needs a PhD in psychology, or he knows nothing?

Yeah, right.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:37 AM
  #25
BoNeS42
Registered User
 
BoNeS42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Now I'm happy I don't share your opinions. Anybody who still calls Plekanec a little girl doesn't even deserve to be taken seriously.
Ok, I'll just call him the guy who can't step up in the playoffs, feel better now?

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.