HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats the story w/ RJ Umberger?

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Bruinaholic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
Whats the story w/ RJ Umberger?

I read not long after he was aquired from Vancouver that a contract agreement wasnt too far away and hed be playing w/ HArtford.....whatever happened?
Hes suppose to be a pretty decent prospect and this Calder Cup run HArtford is in would be a great way to get his feet wet in the Pro's.

Old
05-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaholic
I read not long after he was aquired from Vancouver that a contract agreement wasnt too far away and hed be playing w/ HArtford.....whatever happened?
Hes suppose to be a pretty decent prospect and this Calder Cup run HArtford is in would be a great way to get his feet wet in the Pro's.
I think among many reasons is that he has been talking too much about hometown discount.

Old
05-23-2004, 05:09 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
I think among many reasons is that he has been talking too much about hometown discount.
Pretty dumb of him when he's with the Rangers organization, huh? Enough of this kid, screw him and his hometown discounts.

Old
05-23-2004, 06:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

It seems as though the Rangers are not too high on the kid. And it sounds like the Rangers would rather take the 46th pick than sign him. Of course, there are some who believe that the Rangers are going to take the pick and then try to sign him.

05-23-2004, 06:54 PM
RI Canuck

As a Canuck fan who has followed him for 2 years - he's a head case. The NHL is better off without him.

Old
05-23-2004, 07:15 PM
DarthSather99

"there are some who believe that the Rangers are going to take the pick and then try to sign him."

I'm one who believes that the Rangers will sign him to a contract AFTER they get a compensationary pick for him. Why sign him now when you know you can get a pick and still be in a great position, a team with lots of money, to sign him. Home team discount? to Pittsburgh? .... unless he's going to play for free I don't see that ....

Even if you sign him after the draft and he doesn't pan out you can trade him for other assets or release him and still have that #2 compensationary pick. It's a no lose situation. If your a prospect, what team is going to give you a better shot at the NHL level than the Rangers right now.

Old
05-23-2004, 07:23 PM
charliemurphy

If Umberger is going to bring a bad element into the team's chemistry, I'm all for settling with the #46th pick.
But on the other hand, I would think the Rangers can definitely afford to take a chance on Umberger to just see what he can do in Hartford and eventually in the NHL. If he does turn out to be "head case", get rid of him.
But what if he is the future top 2-line center/LW (something the Rangers are lacking) like he has been touted as being?
I don't think it would take much to sign him. He won't get $1m or above. Didn't he and his agent turn down $1.25m deal in 01' with Vancouver. And with all of the rumors and talk about Umberger being a "head case", and the new CBA changing the market, I would think Umberger would have to seriously consider a deal if the Rangers came to him with an offer.
Anyway, what's the story with Umberger?
I have no idea.

Old
05-23-2004, 10:40 PM
zestystrat

Has he said no to a 2 way contract? If not, sign him & keep him playing with the 'pack and have him shake off the rust & get a better look at his attitude.

Old
05-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Am I the only one not liking this kids demands when not even playing 1 AHL game nevermind 1 NHL game? Last time I checked you should earn what you get.
Either he has a realy bad additude or a bad agent.

Old
05-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Edge

Quote:
He played hardball and when you play hardball you better be able to swing a bat. When he took the ice in front of the powers that be, let's just say the results were a little less than promising.

Whether he signs a contract or not with the Rangers, they are getting at least the 46th pick out of the deal after that performance.

Old
05-24-2004, 01:14 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat
Has he said no to a 2 way contract? If not, sign him & keep him playing with the 'pack and have him shake off the rust & get a better look at his attitude.
He can't say no to a two-way contract--it's in the CBA that all rookie contracts are two-way contracts. The argument is over salary (because after the contract is over, the salary the next year is based on the old contract--at least that's the case with the old CBA--whether it will be the same under the new one is anyone's guess. However, chances are current salary will have some bearing on whatever formula they ultimately arrive at) and bonuses.

Old
05-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
He played hardball and when you play hardball you better be able to swing a bat. When he took the ice in front of the powers that be, let's just say the results were a little less than promising.

Whether he signs a contract or not with the Rangers, they are getting at least the 46th pick out of the deal after that performance.

Could you name some particulars about his game that management didn't like? I'm just curious, trying to get a better idea of his overall performance during the try-out.

Old
05-24-2004, 02:37 PM
Edge

I wasn't there so I couldn't give a list but there were some concerns about his read on the ice and his ability to think out there. There were BIG concerns about hustle and that desire to go out and do what it takes to win.

In a word he seemed to "float" out there and really didn't show the hustle or the hard work of someone who wanted to prove he deserved the money he was asking.

Old
05-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I wasn't there so I couldn't give a list but there were some concerns about his read on the ice and his ability to think out there. There were BIG concerns about hustle and that desire to go out and do what it takes to win.

In a word he seemed to "float" out there and really didn't show the hustle or the hard work of someone who wanted to prove he deserved the money he was asking.
do you have any idea how much money the team has offered vs how much the kid wants?

Old
05-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
do you have any idea how much money the team has offered vs how much the kid wants?

Don't know specifics but they were more than a few hundred thousand dollars off. I can't really give an exact number but I think the gap would have closed a lot had Umberger shown something the team liked out there.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Don't know specifics but they were more than a few hundred thousand dollars off. I can't really give an exact number but I think the gap would have closed a lot had Umberger shown something the team liked out there.
what guy do you think is telling sather he isn't worth it. maloney, mcgill, or renny. the reason i ask is maloney wanted umberger here and renny and mcgill both worked him out in practice. it would seem maloney would be pushing sather to sign him. it would also seem renny or mcgill is telling sather he isn't worth the price. i know sather makes the choice but i'm sure somebody has said something.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:14 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
what guy do you think is telling sather he isn't worth it. maloney, mcgill, or renny.
I'm sure all gave their 2 cents worth, but Maloney was particularly vocal to the press during the tryout. His reports were, at best, non-committal. A lot of "but's", a bunch of "if's". He clearly wasn't blown away by what he saw, that's for sure.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I'm sure all gave their 2 cents worth, but Maloney was particularly vocal to the press during the tryout. His reports were, at best, non-committal. A lot of "but's", a bunch of "if's". He clearly wasn't blown away by what he saw, that's for sure.

And Nick Fotiu was did not exactly rave about the kid.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

well than if 4 guys are telling sather he is not worth the money plus umbergers problems with the canucks management. its going to be hard for somebody to kill the rangers for not signing him.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:57 PM
free0717

Nick Fotiu said in an interview that he thinks Umberger can be a special player but he wants to see him in a game. If I were Sather, I wait another week till after June 1 and I sign him. With all the money Sather threw around, I think they should take a chance on this kid. I have a gut feeling this kid is goig to be a player. He had awesome stats at Ohio State. I say sign the kid after June 1, even if it costs us a few extra bucks and get the 46th overall pick.

How bad would the Rangers(Sather) look if they let this kid get away and he turns into a star or even a solid player.

Old
05-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
Nick Fotiu said in an interview that he thinks Umberger can be a special player but he wants to see him in a game. If I were Sather, I wait another week till after June 1 and I sign him. With all the money Sather threw around, I think they should take a chance on this kid. I have a gut feeling this kid is goig to be a player. He had awesome stats at Ohio State. I say sign the kid after June 1, even if it costs us a few extra bucks and get the 46th overall pick.

How bad would the Rangers(Sather) look if they let this kid get away and he turns into a star or even a solid player.
Do you have a link for that? When did Fotiu said that?

Also I think of Umberger as either a 2nd line player or a bust--I don't think he is skilled enough to make top line and he lacks work ethic, defense and physical play to be on 3rd or 4th line, that is just my opinion, which is probably wrong.

Old
05-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I say lets get the pick, then sign him, then trade him to Pitt for anohter 2nd or one of thier prospects who has a better additude. I was so happy Sather got him at the deadline cause he is a good prospect, but his additude has just rubbed me the wrong way. I have had enough of these players who come abuse the Rangers for thier money, but atleast the UFA's earned thier money prior, this kid hasn't done anything at the pro-level yet and he is demanding!

Old
05-24-2004, 09:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27
I say lets get the pick, then sign him, then trade him to Pitt for anohter 2nd or one of thier prospects who has a better additude. I was so happy Sather got him at the deadline cause he is a good prospect, but his additude has just rubbed me the wrong way. I have had enough of these players who come abuse the Rangers for thier money, but atleast the UFA's earned thier money prior, this kid hasn't done anything at the pro-level yet and he is demanding!

Because Pittsburgh could just sign him themself. And whatever the Rangers sign him for they will not be able to afford.

Old
05-28-2004, 01:11 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Anything new with this guy?

Is he still demanding the max cap figure?

4 days remaining

Old
05-28-2004, 01:20 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
All I can say about this whole matter is these guys making these calls had better be right because if there is one thing we need above all else for the future it's a center with size that has top 2 line upside potential so to potentially let one of these guys slip through your fingers when you own his rights over a couple of hundred grand then they better damn well be sure that this kid won't cut it otherwise it can be a disaster in the making.

To me I'd probrably give the kid the benefit of the doubt as I think his contract negotiating got him raked over the coals character wise when it may not be an accurate description.

I'd sign the kid and if things don't work out you move him or fail to qualify him next time around.What would be lost besides some $$$$ and why not take the chance on a kid as oppossed to a 31 yr old UFA???

Closed Thread