HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

If we're terrible this year, what happens next?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-13-2010, 01:46 PM
  #1
countrygentleman
John Frusciante
 
countrygentleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
If we're terrible this year, what happens next?

So let's be realistic and admit that the probability that we miss the playoffs is higher than the probability we make the playoffs. So, my next question is: what should happen next?

We haven't committed to a full rebuilding. Provided we suck again this year, it will be two worthless years of sucking without reason, and then more likely than not another year of being bad. Will we finally admit this team cannot "retool on the fly" as GMFC likes to say?

Personally, I will be very frustrated if we start to go into full rebuild mode after/during this season because it should have been done before last season.

I know some will say that by next year Cuma, Scandella, Almond, Wellman, etc... will be making the team, but that doesn't mean they'll be any good initially. It will take them at least one year in the NHL before they become respectable players. By the time they are ready, we will have holes opened up when Brunette, Miettinen, etc.. leave and no prospects to fill those holes.

Lastly, if we do make the playoffs, good for us!

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 02:42 PM
  #2
Jbcraig1883
Registered User
 
Jbcraig1883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Louisville, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
Personally, I don't think a year of not making the playoffs forces CF and Co. to do a full rebuild. If we are out at the playoffs, we will probably ship Bruno, Mittens, and Madden out for picks/prospects. Meanwhile, like you said, the youngsters will have gotten a full year in Houston. In all honesty, I think CF is re-tooling for 13/14 when a lot of contracts come off the books, Granlund should be in North America and a strong core will be in place by having guys like Madden/Bruno and future vets showing the Almonds/Wellmans/etc. how to play the game the right way.

And yes, I am a full Kool-aid drinker for CF because I think he has done a good job considering what he was left with, both cap-wise and prospect wise. The only questionable things he has done thus far that I am not high on, and not enough time has gone by to support this opinion, are the trade for Barker and the length/cap hit for Zidlicky.

In other words, I don't feel that the last two years were a waste should we not make the playoffs this season. Many will feel that I am a fan that doesn't hold the franchise accountable considering they sell out and all that but I also think many feel the same way that I do considering the fact that perennial contenders take years to build, be it through a full rebuild or a re-tool. And by re-tool, I don't look at Philly as a comparison considering they had many assets to work with when they re-tooled.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 02:48 PM
  #3
Casper
30 goal grinder
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Even if we are out of the playoffs after this year I don't believe we'll need to go into a full blown rebuild. I feel that (at this moment) the team is being placed together with some sort of plan. The players you mention will be able to slide into the roster in appropriate places were they can immediately make a difference.

This years roster:

Bruno-Koivu-Mitts
Havlat-Cullen-Lats
Butch (if healthy)/clutts-Madden/brodz-Kobe
Nystrom-Madden/Brodz-clutts/other new guy/shepp

Burns-Baker
Shultz-Zids
Zanon-Stoner

If we are Clearly out of the playoffs I see Andrew Brunette being traded for picks (or maybe prospects). Although he loves minnesota, he is getting to the end of his career and his chance at winning the cup are slimming. It will serve his and the teams interest to move him. If Mitts has a decent season I can see him leaving for draft picks as well (he will have to have a decent offensive year for this to happen though).

Then Granlund will come in and center HavLats, cullen will slide down to the third line (where he should be) and Brodz will take up the 4th line center. Hopefully Wellman should be able to slide in as a first lie winger due to his speed and ablility to find the open ice.

So the line up will look like this:

Butch-Koivu-Wellman
Havlat-Granlund-Lats
Kobe-Cullen-Cluttz
Nystrom-Brodz- Sheppard/New guy

TBH, im not really sure how the defense will shake out but Scandella, Cumma, and Prosser will be fighting over the few remaining D spots. I believe Schultz and Stoner (we'll see on stoner though) to be the odd ones out. Maybe Schultz will be another deadline deal if the wild are out of it.

btw..the only reason I see schultz as the odd man out is because our up and coming D play a similar style with more upside. Trading Schultz while allowing a kid to come up and play should allow us to acquire more picks while not screwing our D too bad.

That roster still has a lot of 'what ifs' about it but at the very least should be very competitive and able to attempt some sort of playoff run.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 03:09 PM
  #4
Digitalbooya
Registered User
 
Digitalbooya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 1,464
vCash: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Even if we are out of the playoffs after this year I don't believe we'll need to go into a full blown rebuild. I feel that (at this moment) the team is being placed together with some sort of plan. The players you mention will be able to slide into the roster in appropriate places were they can immediately make a difference.

This years roster:

Bruno-Koivu-Mitts
Havlat-Cullen-Lats
Butch (if healthy)/clutts-Madden/brodz-Kobe
Nystrom-Madden/Brodz-clutts/other new guy/shepp

Burns-Baker
Shultz-Zids
Zanon-Stoner

If we are Clearly out of the playoffs I see Andrew Brunette being traded for picks (or maybe prospects). Although he loves minnesota, he is getting to the end of his career and his chance at winning the cup are slimming. It will serve his and the teams interest to move him. If Mitts has a decent season I can see him leaving for draft picks as well (he will have to have a decent offensive year for this to happen though).

Then Granlund will come in and center HavLats, cullen will slide down to the third line (where he should be) and Brodz will take up the 4th line center. Hopefully Wellman should be able to slide in as a first lie winger due to his speed and ablility to find the open ice.

So the line up will look like this:

Butch-Koivu-Wellman
Havlat-Granlund-Lats

Kobe-Cullen-Cluttz
Nystrom-Brodz- Sheppard/New guy

TBH, im not really sure how the defense will shake out but Scandella, Cumma, and Prosser will be fighting over the few remaining D spots. I believe Schultz and Stoner (we'll see on stoner though) to be the odd ones out. Maybe Schultz will be another deadline deal if the wild are out of it.

btw..the only reason I see schultz as the odd man out is because our up and coming D play a similar style with more upside. Trading Schultz while allowing a kid to come up and play should allow us to acquire more picks while not screwing our D too bad.

That roster still has a lot of 'what ifs' about it but at the very least should be very competitive and able to attempt some sort of playoff run.
I like these two lines! But if Granlund comes here he's going straight to the AHL for one season (Sheppard anyone?) imo unless he has an outstanding camp. On the first line, Wellman would imo get 30-40 goals because KK and Butch are pass first players and now they have a speedy player in Wellman to compliment them.

Digitalbooya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 03:21 PM
  #5
usernam*
#TeamSuccess
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Even if we are out of the playoffs after this year I don't believe we'll need to go into a full blown rebuild. I feel that (at this moment) the team is being placed together with some sort of plan. The players you mention will be able to slide into the roster in appropriate places were they can immediately make a difference.

This years roster:

Bruno-Koivu-Mitts
Havlat-Cullen-Lats
Butch (if healthy)/clutts-Madden/brodz-Kobe
Nystrom-Madden/Brodz-clutts/other new guy/shepp

Burns-Baker
Shultz-Zids
Zanon-Stoner

If we are Clearly out of the playoffs I see Andrew Brunette being traded for picks (or maybe prospects). Although he loves minnesota, he is getting to the end of his career and his chance at winning the cup are slimming. It will serve his and the teams interest to move him. If Mitts has a decent season I can see him leaving for draft picks as well (he will have to have a decent offensive year for this to happen though).

Then Granlund will come in and center HavLats, cullen will slide down to the third line (where he should be) and Brodz will take up the 4th line center. Hopefully Wellman should be able to slide in as a first lie winger due to his speed and ablility to find the open ice.

So the line up will look like this:

Butch-Koivu-Wellman
Havlat-Granlund-Lats
Kobe-Cullen-Cluttz
Nystrom-Brodz- Sheppard/New guy

TBH, im not really sure how the defense will shake out but Scandella, Cumma, and Prosser will be fighting over the few remaining D spots. I believe Schultz and Stoner (we'll see on stoner though) to be the odd ones out. Maybe Schultz will be another deadline deal if the wild are out of it.

btw..the only reason I see schultz as the odd man out is because our up and coming D play a similar style with more upside. Trading Schultz while allowing a kid to come up and play should allow us to acquire more picks while not screwing our D too bad.

That roster still has a lot of 'what ifs' about it but at the very least should be very competitive and able to attempt some sort of playoff run.
I've never heard that before actually. That's pure brilliance. Well played sir.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 03:30 PM
  #6
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Margui Havlats is my favorite Wild player

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 04:14 PM
  #7
grN1g
Registered User
 
grN1g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
If all that goes down and sheppard comes back strong and cuma, scandella have good years and make the big club i see something more like

Sheppard-Koivu-Wellman(imo koivu is better w/ a strong puck holder)
Lats-Granlund-Havlat
Kobasew-Cullen-Bouchard
Nystrom-Brodziak-Clutterbuck

Scandella-Burns
Cuma/Schultz-Barker
Zanon/Stoner/Falk-Prosser/Noreau/FA Dman

Backstrom
Khudobin/Endras/FA Goalie

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 04:19 PM
  #8
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,322
vCash: 500
Talk about jumping the gun....

But seriously, if we suck, we suck. You do what every team who sucks does.

Trade older vets for prospects and maybe picks. Draft well.

Unfortunately, the main guys to move in a rebuild, Backstrom, Zidlicky, maybe Bouchard, aren't really moveable.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 04:40 PM
  #9
North Metro Peewees
Registered User
 
North Metro Peewees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philly Stupid
Country: United States
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
I will restate my position that I believe this team will finish between 6-9 in the west which is pretty impressive. Honestly, they have fewer question marks than some of the playoff teams from last year.

Phoenix-questions about where the offense comes from and also where will the team be playing in 2011-12.
Nashville-where does the offense come from and now they have no Hamhuis either?
Colorado-can they really expect the same production from their kids or do they take a step back?
Chicago-YES, Chicago! They have basically completely changed the bottom half of their lineup. How do the Beech's and Skille's perform. Plus I'm not sold on Turco in goal.

My predictions as they stand now:

1) Vancouver
2) Los Angeles
3) Detroit
4) San Jose
5) Chicago
6) St. Louis
7) Wild
8) Colorado
9) Nashville
10) Phoenix
11) Anaheim
12) Edmonton
13) Calgary
14) Columbus
15) Dallas

In short I believe the Wild will end next season with somewhere between 89-95 points which means with the solid job they are doing of adding young talent should indicate there will be no need for a full rebuild anytime soon.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:22 PM
  #10
grN1g
Registered User
 
grN1g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
1. SJ
2. DET
3. Van
4. Chi
5. ANA
6. LA
7. Col
8. Wild
9. Nas

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:27 PM
  #11
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,714
vCash: 500
I still think too many things have to go right for the Wild to reach the playoffs. The good news is that it's a complete team; however even in the NHL you need high-end players to lead and perform and Minnesota has one and a half of those guys.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:33 PM
  #12
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 20,697
vCash: 50
retool one the fly or rebuild or whatever the only thing I expected to see out of Fletcher and Co. for his first three years is improvement as time goes on. You can't just change the philosophy of the team and expect instant success with the roster you inherited--it was built to play a different style, and it takes time to shed contracts and pick up the right players.

TL;DR Not going to see me crying for a couple years, but I'll enjoy reading the insane little hissyfits other people throw.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 06:21 PM
  #13
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
So, my next question is: what should happen next?
What should have been done this season. A true rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
If we are out at the playoffs, we will probably ship Bruno, Mittens, and Madden out for picks/prospects.

In all honesty, I think CF is re-tooling for 13/14 when a lot of contracts come off the books
I want to know why anyone would believe and trust that Fletcher would do either. He had better players to dump last deadline for picks/prospects and didn't do much of it, and this offseason he had just as much potential cap space and has used it all on old vets or underperforming youngsters. Fletcher started with no trust level, and so far he shouldn't have earned any either. Why do Minnesota fans automatically give their trust to people that haven't earned it yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
But seriously, if we suck, we suck. You do what every team who sucks does.

Trade older vets for prospects and maybe picks. Draft well.
I guess we weren't like "every team" last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Chicago-YES, Chicago! They have basically completely changed the bottom half of their lineup. How do the Beech's and Skille's perform. Plus I'm not sold on Turco in goal.
OK, now you've gone way too far with the homerism.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 06:27 PM
  #14
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,714
vCash: 500
State of Hockey, you say that you want a full rebuild but don't trust Fletcher to retool. If that's the case, then why would you trust him to tear out the foundation and rebuild? And don't say that it's idiot-proof, because if that's the case then Atlanta, Columbus and Florida would not be on their third iteration of it.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 06:55 PM
  #15
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
State of Hockey, you say that you want a full rebuild but don't trust Fletcher to retool. If that's the case, then why would you trust him to tear out the foundation and rebuild? And don't say that it's idiot-proof, because if that's the case then Atlanta, Columbus and Florida would not be on their third iteration of it.
That's just it, I don't trust him for either. He has shown no plan for this team. He talks one thing and does another. If I was Leipold, Fletcher would be on a short leash. If this season turns farther down the wrong road, he and Richards would be out before the halfway mark. We can do better than this.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:00 PM
  #16
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,714
vCash: 500
Okay, that's just not being a fan of Fletcher. Like him or not, one of the worst things you can do is not give the architect a chance to implement his plan because starting a plan in the middle of a plan ends badly. It's one of the reasons why Columbus and Florida are perennial bottom-feeders - you don't change course after one or two seasons. You wait until there are results one way or another.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:15 PM
  #17
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Okay, that's just not being a fan of Fletcher. Like him or not, one of the worst things you can do is not give the architect a chance to implement his plan because starting a plan in the middle of a plan ends badly. It's one of the reasons why Columbus and Florida are perennial bottom-feeders - you don't change course after one or two seasons. You wait until there are results one way or another.
Of course it's not being a fan of Fletcher. Why the heck should I (or you) be one? Take my scenario of being owner if we take another step back. I should be a fan with not making the playoffs for two more seasons? I should be a fan with a team still failing while still spending big money? I should be a fan with a prospect pool that has gone from rock bottom to below average primarily because the team drafted high because it was bad? I should be a fan of suspect coaching? I should be a fan of retaining the failing core that DR left? Etc.?

Almost two full years is enough for an NHL GM to show improvement both short-term and long-term. We didn't start at a high level, and that gave Fletcher an easier start. And since you brought up the word "plan", what is it? I don't see one aside from the same failed ideas DR was using before he was canned.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:19 PM
  #18
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Well the first move should be firing Todd Richards, but who knows how tight he and Fletcher are. After all, there have been multiple players who Richards clearly praised about leading to Fletcher acquiring them(Brodziak, Staubitz, and Zanon all played under teams Richards was on the staff of).

SOH is right though, this team should have gone into a full-rebuild. Leipold didn't want to go that route though, because he wanted to keep the fans in the seats, something he couldn't achieve in Nashville. Technically, year one was a failure for Fletcher, as he thought we would make the playoffs. Just like he said draft picks are gold and dumped Leddy within the year.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:50 PM
  #19
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 20,697
vCash: 50
Rofl.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:53 PM
  #20
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Of course it's not being a fan of Fletcher. Why the heck should I (or you) be one? Take my scenario of being owner if we take another step back. I should be a fan with not making the playoffs for two more seasons? I should be a fan with a team still failing while still spending big money? I should be a fan with a prospect pool that has gone from rock bottom to below average primarily because the team drafted high because it was bad? I should be a fan of suspect coaching? I should be a fan of retaining the failing core that DR left? Etc.?

Almost two full years is enough for an NHL GM to show improvement both short-term and long-term. We didn't start at a high level, and that gave Fletcher an easier start. And since you brought up the word "plan", what is it? I don't see one aside from the same failed ideas DR was using before he was canned.
Well first of all, I'm indifferent to Fletcher mainly because I'm waiting to see how his plan works out. Until the end of next season, he gets the benefit of the doubt and I'm just along for the ride. It would be the same if we tanked and tried to suck it up and alienate the casual fans for the next five years. Because with the non-existent core of young players in the system (Cuma?, Scandella?), that's what it would be. It would be Leddy (or a more NHL-ready pick at #12), a top-five pick this year, a top-five next year and probably one more so three of those and whomever else came through a trade would be leading. This is also provided that Koivu didn't decide to skip town through free agency and take his talents elsewhere after having two years of tanking (or) that the team can draft and develop top-five draft picks after multiple busts.

As far as I understand it, Fletcher's plan is similar to the Anaheim Ducks between 2003 and 2007 which he was a part of. He wants to get young talent which can play now through trades and infuse it with good drafting and quality free agent pickups. A lot of the trades and moves made allowed the team to collect assets which paid off one way or another and got the team the missing pieces necessary to challenge for the Cup. Right now the Wild are doing something similar while giving themselves flexibility to still make a move or two. I still believe Minnesota needs to acquire (one way or another) a top scorer, but at the moment things are incomplete and will remain so until the end of next off-season.

So I hope that helps. Seriously you don't have to be a fan. There are twenty-nine other NHL teams, five collegiate teams in the state and plenty of other hockey to get your fix, which is one of the things I love about the State of Hockey.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:57 PM
  #21
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 20,697
vCash: 50
yeah, people tend to just gloss over those kinds of things...Fairly certain Koivu (or anyone else anyone likes) wouldn't be cool with just riding it out in the basement with the not-at-all-certain promise of glory years to follow. I would lose all respect for anyone who didn't immediately skip town as soon as this "plan" was evident.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:28 PM
  #22
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 500
I've never fully understood the fascination with tanking; in any sport. If that's your mentality, I heard the T-pups are desperately looking for some fans to fill the first 10 rows.

As a fan who's put countless hours into watching this team, I'd be much more offended by a complete and utter tank job. This team is already virtually irrelevant across the league, why would you want to further that and become one of the laughing stocks? If this team ever gets to the point of serious contention; I want them to get there with some dignity.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:43 PM
  #23
WildisLaw
2.1.13 THE YOUNGER!!
 
WildisLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Napa Valley, Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Imo, the wild should have made the playoffs last year. They really underachieved. The start killed them and they played really well after that. Take away the bad start and they upgraded a lot of positions this offseason...call me a homer but I put them behind Vancouver for 2nd in the Northwest this season. This team will be really tough to play against.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:27 PM
  #24
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Of course it's not being a fan of Fletcher. Why the heck should I (or you) be one? Take my scenario of being owner if we take another step back. I should be a fan with not making the playoffs for two more seasons? I should be a fan with a team still failing while still spending big money? I should be a fan with a prospect pool that has gone from rock bottom to below average primarily because the team drafted high because it was bad? I should be a fan of suspect coaching? I should be a fan of retaining the failing core that DR left? Etc.?

Almost two full years is enough for an NHL GM to show improvement both short-term and long-term. We didn't start at a high level, and that gave Fletcher an easier start. And since you brought up the word "plan", what is it? I don't see one aside from the same failed ideas DR was using before he was canned.
My opinion of core guys for now and the near future. Koivu, Havlat, Lattendresse, Granlund, Wellman, Burns, Barker, Zidlicky, Zanon, Backstrom. add in solid but not exactly irreplaceable guys like Clutterbuck, Cullen, and Brodziak and Fletcher has replaced 8/13 of DR's failing core. As far as What the plan is, I think its pretty obvious that Fletcher is willing to do whatever it takes to win now as long as it doesnt sacrifice the future.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:27 PM
  #25
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Imo, the wild should have made the playoffs last year. They really underachieved. The start killed them and they played really well after that. Take away the bad start and they upgraded a lot of positions this offseason...call me a homer but I put them behind Vancouver for 2nd in the Northwest this season. This team will be really tough to play against.
Where?
Forwards -> Line one is still Brunette-Koivu-Miettinen. Line 2 still has a sub-par center, though a 45-49 point Matt Cullen is sadly an upgrade. Bottom-6 is still all pluggers, with a few capable of 20 but not guaranteed, just like last year. Do we consider Nystrom an upgrade on Nolan? Madden to Ebbett/Sheppard?

Defense -> We lost our best d-man at the deadline. He gets replaced by the left-handed Kurtis Foster. Burns has to step up and be our #1, but he hasn't shown much promise for a couple years. If not, then PP specialist Marek Zidlicky will also be our #1 d-man. Schultz and Zanon are the same, while Stoner/rookie replace Scott/Hnidy. Much worse on the blueline.

Goaltending is the same 2 guys, so nothing has changed there, aside from Backstrom's league-wide exposure as a mediocre goalie.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.