HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

Aahl 2010

Old
08-13-2010, 03:46 PM
sbkbghockey

vCash: 500
Aahl 2010

The AAHL is going into its third season and over the off season the AAHL lost its most stable franchise- the Evansville IceMen, ownership folded the team and will replace it with a Central Hockey League franchise of the same name.

Last season the AAHL added the Madison Ice Muskies- I knew then it'd be a bad idea- placing an extremely low level "pro"/semi-pro team in a small arena in market dominated by the Wisconsin Badgers. And like I predicted the Ice Muskies didn't last the season.

Earlier this summer, after losing Evansville, the AAHL has brought back the Madison Ice Muskies.

The AAHL's 5th team this season was just announced- Queen City Storm. Cincinnati is not a large hockey market. they already have the Cincinnati Cyclones one of the best teams in the ECHL the past few seasons, and the team has a small but stable and strong following. College hockey fans have the Miami (OH) RedHawks in Oxford OH north of Cincy. In addition, the Columbus Blue Jackets about an hour and a half up the road. Between the Cyclones in town and Miami OH and Columbus close the hockey market is full. The Storm will play at the 1,200 seat Sports Plus Arena (practice rink of the Cyclones and a Tier III Jr. team)

I don't believe these two teams will last the season. And actions by the AAHL management placing teams in larger markets with competition may doom the entire league. The AAHL should focus on markets like Evansville (small to mid sized markets with no to little competition) where they showed teams can have success Any other thoughts?

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
The AAHL should focus on markets like Evansville (small to mid sized markets with no to little competition) where they showed teams can have success Any other thoughts?
Completely agree.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 05:35 PM
CrazyEddie20

I wouldn't waste any time worrying about the running joke that is the AAHL. It'll be done before January 15.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie20 View Post
I wouldn't waste any time worrying about the running joke that is the AAHL. It'll be done before January 15.
Not that the league is run like a well oiled machine or anything, but they've been saying that for the past 2 years and it still keeps going.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 11:24 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

And the ChiTown Shooters have dropped out of the AAHL and will form a Jr. team for 2011-2012.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 05:30 PM
sbkbghockey

So now after losing the most stable franchise in Evansville to the Central Hockey League, the AAHL loses probably the 2nd most stable franchise/2009 champion.

Old
08-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
So now after losing the most stable franchise in Evansville to the Central Hockey League, the AAHL loses probably the 2nd most stable franchise/2009 champion.
Na na na na
Na na na na
Hey hey hey
Goodbye...

What kind of building does Battle Creek have? Seems to me that a pro team (CHL, ECHL) or a USHL club could probably work there if they have an adequate facility.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 08:07 PM
desert dawg

Battle Creek Facility

The facility is no where near ECHL/CHL level- it is basically an older rink, with seating around 1000 all on one side, near downtown- probably perfect for the level of play and league-believe W. Michigan is a bit newer facility with about the same amount of seating- perhaps they should look into Port Huron- not sure they have any level of hockey at this point-

desert dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:45 PM
TopCityAirCapHockey

Actually Port Huron has a NAHL team.

TopCityAirCapHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:31 PM
desert dawg

Port Huron

Like I said, PH has no level of hockey right now (JUST KIDIN)- actually if AAHL did pursue they would be competing with ECHL (Kalamazoo-Battle Creek), USHL (Muskegon) and then NAHL (Port Huron)-will be interesting to see how it ends up-

Old
08-22-2010, 10:44 PM
sbkbghockey

Battle Creek's ice rink the AAHL team uses would be okay for an NAHL team but I can't see a USHL team and above level using it.

Old
08-31-2010, 11:32 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

After the departure of Chi-town, the AAHL has added Lapeer, MI (currently called the Lapeer Professional Hockey Club) and the Troy Bruins who were looking for a new place to play after the demise of the NJHL.

Old
09-01-2010, 08:21 PM
desert dawg

Lapeer

I've been to the Lapeer rink- my recollection is the only business nearby is a golf course across the street- I cannot imagine them have much success with drawing crowds- but I wish them the best of luck-where is Troy???

Old
09-01-2010, 08:47 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dawg View Post
I've been to the Lapeer rink- my recollection is the only business nearby is a golf course across the street- I cannot imagine them have much success with drawing crowds- but I wish them the best of luck-where is Troy???
Troy is just North of Dayton Ohio. They have a nice, historic 4,000-seat arena and I believe the Bruins drew well for the NJHL last season. The team also has done well marketing itself in the area. I was hoping they might try to get into the NAHL or USHL for the 2011-12 season, but the AAHL is a small step up from an indy jr league. Esp since Dayton already has the existing Dayton Gems from the IHL (now in the Central Hockey League). And an hour away is the AAHL Queen City Storm and about an hour and half from ECHL Cincinnati Cyclones and from the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets.

Last edited by sbkbghockey: 09-01-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old
10-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Hockeyinfoworld

Indiana Blizzard

Does anyone know any info on David Rowe, Yuri Nogaev, Gregory Stewart that signed with Indiana Blizzard on October 5th, I have been able to find anything on where they played last or where they are from. hopefully someone can help

Hockeyinfoworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:54 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Second move this year. Madison's done and the AAHL replaces them with the Wooster Korn Kings of Wooster, Ohio.

Old
11-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
and now Wooster has gone as well

Chevy Cheveldae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:28 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Quote:
We feel there was just not enough time to gain corporate sponsors and the backing of fans to run this team properly.
No ****. Why'd you even try. This seems like they're saying "We screwed up," without saying it.

Old
11-24-2010, 09:45 AM
billycanuck

This league should just stop trying to be a 'pro' league and apply for USA Hockey's Senior 'Elite' status. Because lets face it, this is a Senior league. Some of those rinks are ridiculous for people to pay money to watch games in.

Get some better venues and wait for the economy to go upward.

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:13 AM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda Bolt View Post
No ****. Why'd you even try. This seems like they're saying "We screwed up," without saying it.
They did, the Madison team failed before. Putting this level team in the same city as a major NCAA Division I college program was mistake #1.

Why was Corn spelled wrong? Korn Kings name was about mistake #100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
This league should just stop trying to be a 'pro' league and apply for USA Hockey's Senior 'Elite' status. Because lets face it, this is a Senior league. Some of those rinks are ridiculous for people to pay money to watch games in.

Get some better venues and wait for the economy to go upward.
In Canada that might work. In the US they'd get even less attendence with a senior status vs. "pro." FYI Troy is the the only team that plays in a minor-pro suitable rink.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:10 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
In Canada that might work. In the US they'd get even less attendence with a senior status vs. "pro." FYI Troy is the the only team that plays in a minor-pro suitable rink.
Yes, Troy has a a great sized rink but the wrong league.

I have been to a couple of Fox Cities Ice Dogs game, Senior Elite team in the Great Lakes Hockey League, and they don't seem to have a probelm getting fans to their games. They do not say the word 'pro' anywhere with there team. Also, Park City Pioneers in Utah is another team that is US Senior Elite and they draw quite well at the gate too.

When the league drops the 'pro' charade it might have chance. Because then you are using local players who work and don't have to rely on the league for financial support to survive.

Old
12-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Chevy Cheveldae

Indiana seems out as well..

http://www.mlive.com/loggers/index.s...unday_can.html

Old
12-19-2010, 05:05 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae View Post
The Blizzard were in fifth place with a 5-5-0-1 record and according to the AAHL website was third in average attendance at 585 per game. Lapeer is atop the attendance chart at 732 and the league average is 557.

I wonder how much of that attendance is paid?

Old
01-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

http://aahl.pointstreaksites.com/vie...box/news_21011

Quote:
Lapeer, MI – The All American Hockey League (AAHL) announce today that due to mounting debt the AAHL is forced to step in and seize control of the Lapeer Loggers Franchise.

The AAHL is in negotiations with the Lapeer Polar Palace management to allow the Lapeer Loggers to continue operations during the ownership selection process for this franchise

Old
01-05-2011, 06:57 AM
billycanuck

RIP Lapeer Loggers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae View Post
Lapeer has had some serious issues this season! First all the Canadian players had immigration issues (team not paying fees?), then the players refused to play before a game until they got paid money that was owed to them, then the coach resigned for not getting paid, and now this!

Here is an article by Brendan Savage of the Flint Journal who has been covering the team, about the owner and how he is owning up to mistakes.

Quote:
The financial problems started about a month ago when box-office receipts began to dry up and money because tight because sponsorships the Loggers were counting on didn't materialize and attendance wasn't as strong as originally expected.

Harrison admitted that the size of some crowds was exaggerated and that bills added up quickly once the season started.

He estimated it cost $1,000 every time the Loggers played a road game.
“You have $8.50 tickets and $6.50 tickets and with a $3,000 (per week) salary cap, that money evaporates pretty fast,” he said. “You have to pay a coach and when you go on the road, it's a G-note every game.