HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

THN 2011 Team Rankings Have Flames in 8th

Old
08-24-2010, 11:10 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
Bourque could be like Sharp and given enough ice time to become a star player (much like Sharp now...) also I definitely don't want him to develop a mean streak, I think he is fine now as he is and could become a speedy scoring forward star.

You don't need mean streaks to be good. Less PIMs is also good

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Bourque could be like Sharp and given enough ice time to become a star player (much like Sharp now...) also I definitely don't want him to develop a mean streak, I think he is fine now as he is and could become a speedy scoring forward star.

I think it would benefit Bourque's game if he played with a little more of an edge and used his size and strength more to this advantage to become more of a dominant force on the ice. Playing with more tenacity does not mean you have take stupid penalities either (ie. Bertuzzi). Bouque doesn't mind to get his hands dirty, but if he used his size more it would create more space for him and his other linemates.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:50 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I think it would benefit Bourque's game if he played with a little more of an edge and used his size and strength more to this advantage to become more of a dominant force on the ice. Playing with more tenacity does not mean you have take stupid penalities either (ie. Bertuzzi). Bouque doesn't mind to get his hands dirty, but if he used his size more it would create more space for him and his other linemates.
I think a lot of that has to do with his skating stance. If he spread a little more and got lower to the ground (like Hossa) then he would be way better off. His body a weight would be more of an advantage and he'd be even more dominating in front and along the boards. I also think this would help him reduce his number of injuries. Only problem is now that he is at the level he obtained last season, it's hard to reinvent the wheel.

I also agree, a little more grit would go a long way.

The Gnome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:57 PM
flames123

Quote:
Bourque is already a physical force. He is not dominant. Bourque uses his speed in a very effective forecheck that caused quite a few turn overs and mistakes by the opposition. Being physical is different than just simply hitting hard. If Bourque played on more of an edge I think we could see even more injuries out of him. If Bourque is grinding it out on the fore/back check and battling in the corners (playing physical) I am happy. Most big hitters are constantly injured (Kronwall, Volchenkov, Komisarek ect.).

On a side note: A Glenn-Lanks-Bourque line would be awesome imo. Glenncross could easily make 35pts (15-20), Lankow should return to a 50pt form (20-30) and Bourque will put up the same PPG and come out with 65 pts (30-35). Then add in that it will be probably the best shutdown line in the NHL with two bigger body's and very good skating from all three. They are all very good PKers and are very good positionaly and can use their speed on the fore/back check. But the Hagman-Stajan-Backlund line would be a little bit soft.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Flamesfan13

Anybody think oilers ranking is unfair? i honestly believe they'll finish from 8-11. Flames sneak in at 7. Go Flames Go. I still believe this team for sure.

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:16 AM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan13 View Post
Anybody think oilers ranking is unfair? i honestly believe they'll finish from 8-11. Flames sneak in at 7. Go Flames Go. I still believe this team for sure.
Well the disparity between CBJ and EDM was pretty large. While the gap between 13th and 8th was 4 games. It will continue to be a very tight conference and I think that they wont really improve that much. Hall, Eberle and MPS probably wont inprove the team enough imo. They are all rookies and all relatively smaller.

Old
08-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Bourque is already a physical force. He is not dominant. Bourque uses his speed in a very effective forecheck that caused quite a few turn overs and mistakes by the opposition. Being physical is different than just simply hitting hard. If Bourque played on more of an edge I think we could see even more injuries out of him. If Bourque is grinding it out on the fore/back check and battling in the corners (playing physical) I am happy. Most big hitters are constantly injured (Kronwall, Volchenkov, Komisarek ect.).

On a side note: A Glenn-Lanks-Bourque line would be awesome imo. Glenncross could easily make 35pts (15-20), Lankow should return to a 50pt form (20-30) and Bourque will put up the same PPG and come out with 65 pts (30-35). Then add in that it will be probably the best shutdown line in the NHL with two bigger body's and very good skating from all three. They are all very good PKers and are very good positionaly and can use their speed on the fore/back check. But the Hagman-Stajan-Backlund line would be a little bit soft.
Hockey is a contact/collision sport and if a player (ie. Bourque) cannot handle that then they should find another sport to play like golf (for the record I do not think that Bourque falls into this catergory). And when did I once say anything about Bourque becoming a big hitter? I am not suggesting he revert and play the role of a 3rd or 4th liner. Bourque is an excellent skater and one of the best on the Flames with his speed. He also has a big frame and good strength which I would like to see him use a little more, this would make him more of a dominant player. What I am suggesting is he plays a little more fiesty, go to the net more and become more aggresive with his size along the boards. This will create more space for his linemates and open the ice in the offensive zone. Bourque's game is rounding out very nice and a player should use all of their tools and talents to their advantage and this would only benefit him and the team. I am failing to see how you do not realize this. As far as your concern for injuries, players are often injuried on plays where they do not go all out. If they are playing passive or tentitive then the risk for them to get injured is also high. My point is no matter what, the risk for injury is always there once they step out on the ice including practice. To suggest Bourque should not play to his capabilities for fear of injury is pure stupidity IMO.

Also I do not like the line of GlenX - Langkow - Bourque. Sure they would be an effective shutdown line, but that does not give balance to the 2nd and 3rd lines. By putting Backlund on the second that 1) gives him proper mintues to develop, and 2) it also adds more skill and more of an offensive component to the line. Likewise, the 3rd line now has the same mix of size, skill and offence. Which is a much more balanced plan of a attack and would provide more scoring in the overall picture.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 08-30-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old
08-30-2010, 10:31 AM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Well the disparity between CBJ and EDM was pretty large. While the gap between 13th and 8th was 4 games. It will continue to be a very tight conference and I think that they wont really improve that much. Hall, Eberle and MPS probably wont inprove the team enough imo. They are all rookies and all relatively smaller.
Only Eberle is, actually.

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:40 AM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan13 View Post
Considering our goalie is gone for up to 6 months, and the minimum sentence requires him to miss all of training camp+preseason, I think its a safe bet to say that in goal we are completely screwed.

On defense, the Oilers need a veteran shutdown guy in the top-4, along with a legit No.1 blue liner. Souray is obviously not coming back, so the bottom-3 consists of Foster, Vandermeer, and Strudwick. Considering our top-4 for the better portion of last year was

Smid-Visnovsky
Grebeshkov-Gilbert

Is there any improvement with what we have now? Are Whitney and Foster any better than Visnovsky and Grebeshkov?

Up front may be the only legitimate improvement, with Hall/Eberle/MPS/Fraser replacing Moreau/Nilsson/O'Sullivan/Pisani, and having Ales Hemsky healthy again to start the year with. However, the Oilers still don't have a true first-line center, and Hall won't be adept at that role for a couple years minimum.

So, is an improved offense enough for the Oilers to gain almost 20 points in order to climb up and over the 14th place team?

I think it's safe to say the Oilers will be constantly in the hunt for another top-5 pick, the difference being this year will be much more fun then last.

Old
08-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
lots of Oiler talk
I think injuries are the only reason the Oilers finished last, while I don't expect them to challenge for a playoff spot I don't see them finishing bottom 5 either unless they dump more guys

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:26 PM
flames123

Quote:
Also I do not like the line of GlenX - Langkow - Bourque. Sure they would be an effective shutdown line, but that does not give balance to the 2nd and 3rd lines. By putting Backlund on the second that 1) gives him proper mintues to develop, and 2) it also adds more skill and more of an offensive component to the line. Likewise, the 3rd line now has the same mix of size, skill and offence. Which is a much more balanced plan of a attack and would provide more scoring in the overall picture.
Hagman - Stajan - Backlund
Glenncross - Lanks - Bourque

How is that not balanced? There is a scoring line and a scoring/shutdown line.

In the end, Glenncross will probably play on the 4th (Glenn-Conroy-Jackman). Moving Moss up to the RW and Backlund to the LW.

Old
08-30-2010, 12:43 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I think injuries are the only reason the Oilers finished last, while I don't expect them to challenge for a playoff spot I don't see them finishing bottom 5 either unless they dump more guys
The Oilers are, far and away, the worst team in the Western Conference. Dallas is the only other team with the possibility of finishing 15th.

That usually means a top-5 pick in the draft.

Old
08-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Hagman - Stajan - Backlund
Glenncross - Lanks - Bourque

How is that not balanced? There is a scoring line and a scoring/shutdown line.

In the end, Glenncross will probably play on the 4th (Glenn-Conroy-Jackman). Moving Moss up to the RW and Backlund to the LW.
Its like putting all your eggs in one basket and you are doing it on both lines. Neither would be bad, but I think they could be better by playing Backlund with Langkow and Bourque. As you mentioned, your Stajan line would be to small and it is hard for a line to score when they are getting pushed around and man handled all the time. Backlund - Langkow - Bourque, would still be very responible defensively as well they would be quite capable of putting up some decent numbers.

Personally, I would really like to see if its possible a line of Hagman - Stajan - Kotalik. But depending on what happens with him, Glencross will probably get the RW position and he has showed IMO he is a better scorer than Moss is. This line with Glencross make them a fast skating and quite sound defensively. As well they would be quite capable of putting up some decent numbers especially if Stajan gets 50 + points and Hagman hits a mark similar to that as well.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:16 PM
willy29

Think Calgary could finish in 8th. Do agree with others 5th through 11th could change at any time.

For Calgary to finish in the playoffs, the forwards on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines really need to contribute more.

Did Calgary sign Ian White?

willy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:22 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
Did Calgary sign Ian White?

Yes.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:28 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Considering our goalie is gone for up to 6 months, and the minimum sentence requires him to miss all of training camp+preseason, I think its a safe bet to say that in goal we are completely screwed.

On defense, the Oilers need a veteran shutdown guy in the top-4, along with a legit No.1 blue liner. Souray is obviously not coming back, so the bottom-3 consists of Foster, Vandermeer, and Strudwick. Considering our top-4 for the better portion of last year was

Smid-Visnovsky
Grebeshkov-Gilbert

Is there any improvement with what we have now? Are Whitney and Foster any better than Visnovsky and Grebeshkov?

Up front may be the only legitimate improvement, with Hall/Eberle/MPS/Fraser replacing Moreau/Nilsson/O'Sullivan/Pisani, and having Ales Hemsky healthy again to start the year with. However, the Oilers still don't have a true first-line center, and Hall won't be adept at that role for a couple years minimum.

So, is an improved offense enough for the Oilers to gain almost 20 points in order to climb up and over the 14th place team?

I think it's safe to say the Oilers will be constantly in the hunt for another top-5 pick, the difference being this year will be much more fun then last.
Maybe Steve Staios?

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:33 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Maybe Steve Staios?
Only if you offer your next two 1st rounders to sweeten the pot...............and take Souray off our hands.

Old
08-31-2010, 12:00 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Only if you offer your next two 1st rounders to sweeten the pot...............and take Souray off our hands.
And no as Kevin Lowe is not the Flames GM so no deal.

Old
08-31-2010, 12:02 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post

I for one would like Borque to be more edgy and if that means more penalties so be it as long as they are not stupid ones and esp ones 200 feet from his own net