HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Low-cost pants?

Old
08-12-2010, 10:03 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Low-cost pants?

Hey guys, I just wanted to solicit opinions on how low I can go for a pair of hockey pants.

I'm basically wrestling with the following:

1) Obviously, I want to buy from the cheapest supplier available. However, it seems like everyone adds ~$10 shipping which negates the cost of buying online. Is there any way around this, or is it really going to cost me the same to buy online as retail?

2) How much protection do I need? I want to keep the cost low, but I don't want to end up in the hospital either.

3) Ideally I'd like to keep the cost under $50. Is that realistic? I can't seem to find a good option at that range.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:24 PM
doobie604

50 is more than realistic, if you spend $100 total, icewarehouse ships for free. as for protection, entry level is good enough, the highend ones might offer a bit more padding, but it's more about comfort than anything else.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What level are you playing?

You can save a lot of money going used.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:25 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What level are you playing?

You can save a lot of money going used.
Bottom-of-the-barrel adult league for beginners. I've looked at used stuff a bit but I'm a little hesitant. How much do used pants typically run?

Old
08-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Devil Dancer

I think this is what I have:

http://www.hockeygiant.com/misf75pntsr.html

Mission Fuel 75s. $29.99 before shipping on Hockey Giant. They work fine for me, and have for over a year. They show no sign of wear or damage.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:34 PM
DJnet65

If you look around alot of the online retailers have their older stock on clearence or closeout, so you might be able to find higher quality pants cheaper.

You can definatley find pants cheap if you are willing to buy used. If you are patient you can probably find a fairly high quality gently used pants for real cheap.

Both hockey monkey and Hockey giant have pants on clearance.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/closproteq-ip.html

http://www.hockeygiant.com/clearance-items-.html

Good Luck

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wouldn't go cheap on pants for a beginner. You'll fall a lot and hurt your hips/tailbone/butt. Get something with good padding.

Of those closeout pants, I'd look at the Reebok 7k, Vector V08, and Stealth S5. Great hip padding and $50 or so.

Even better would be a pair of used CCM 692 or 892 or Tackla 5000 or 9000. Amazing pants.

Old
08-12-2010, 11:35 PM
greyraven8

can sometimes find sales on unusual coloured pants - many, many, years ago back when my local play-it-again took non-blue/non-black pants, i got a great deal on a pair of green ccm supra pants. got a good pair of purple tacklas off hockey dawgz years ago (don't think they have anything like that at that price right now). i also got a pair of ccm green goalie pants for a pretty good price a couple years ago on ebay.

you could try your local kijiji/craigslist, and ads at your hockey arenas. used sporting goods stores, and maybe thrift store and even yard sales.

depending on your waist size i could trade you for a used pair of pants i have - they are easton and the tag on them says 34"-35" (unfortunately for me, my waist size is 38"). if this is your size, do you have any jerseys or equipment you may want to trade? i can send pics and any other info. i can find on them if you want. can message or email me: my email is reignoferror@yahoo.ca

i live in canada, but i work at a large courier and get a discount on shipping.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 01:27 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I think peranis (hockeyworld?) still has some protex pants beating around on their site. They're basically off brand tacklas, with protex being the company that owned the tackla name and made them for a while. Great pants, and the closeout prices you see them out are simply impossible to top for that quality pant.

BTW, I do recommend getting fairly nice pants if you're in a beginner league, as that tends to mean that you'll be falling on your ass a lot. The tailbone padding is one of the first places manufacturers cheap out on, it seems.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:10 PM
MNWild9

well if you bump it up to 100 you can get a pair of RBK 7's I just bought mine and I love them.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:30 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I think this is what I have:

http://www.hockeygiant.com/misf75pntsr.html

Mission Fuel 75s. $29.99 before shipping on Hockey Giant. They work fine for me, and have for over a year. They show no sign of wear or damage.
You know, this is probably what I'll buy. $41 including shipping is much less than anything else I've seen.

Does anybody else have thoughts on the 75s before I commit? Is it a good buy for a beginner?

Thanks for the link DD.

Old
08-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Again, if I were a beginner, I'd be buying the Fuel 110 or 120 pants, not the cheapest ones they have. But it's your body.