HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien/ General coaching discussion thread

Old
10-09-2013, 11:22 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

vCash: 500
Michel Therrien/ General coaching discussion thread

I think that we need a thread dedicated to our coach. It appears that he has become incapable of adjusting his personnel after seeing a lack of offense from three of the four lines.

Discuss........

I will start out by saying that I miss Patrick Roy.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:29 PM
McTusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
It's been almost 20 years since he was traded, you should get over it. Weird time to bring this up? You think he'd be better than Price right now?

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Price My Man Crush

I miss Jacques Martin. This says A LOT on our coach at the moment.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:33 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
It's been almost 20 years, you should get over it.
Maybe.

At the end of this season, I guess we can look at the Habs record and the Avs record and decide if we need to be over anything.

However, at the present moment, we have a coach who is unwilling to give Plekanec some help and finally move Pacioretty away from DD since that combination has stopped working.

Therrien has already forgotten the benefit that Prust gave this team by playing on the 3rd line instead of rotting on the 4th.

Old
10-09-2013, 11:34 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
It's been almost 20 years since he was traded, you should get over it. Weird time to bring this up? You think he'd be better than Price right now?
A thread about coaching.

This is not about Price. Read the thread title.

Old
10-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Undertakerqc

MT has done a terrific job since his been here. I look at how he is developping the kids, i am very pleased. Subban, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi.... enought said...

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:36 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
I think that we need a thread dedicated to our coach. It appears that he has become incapable of adjusting his personnel after seeing a lack of offense from three of the four lines.

Discuss........

you guys are unbelievable.

the guy turned eller,galchenyuk,gallagher, subban, diaz, and emelin into consistent NHLERs in 38 games. go ahead and press the panic button if you want, but to complain about the lack of chemistry after 3 games is absolutely ridiculous imho.

Id rather talk about someone who finally trusts our young players with heavy duty and rides them for top minutes. question of time before others chip in. you think maxpac is going to stay in the passenger seat? come on. time to have a little bit of faith going here folks.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Habs Junkie

Therrien is wasting this team's talent like Pacioretty and Tinordi by trying to make his buddies Desharnais and Bouillon not look completely useless and to make sure his other buddies at RDS have people to interview after games.

I can't wait for the Antichambre panel next year: Therrien, Desharnais, Bouillon and Darche!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:41 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Discuss........

When its so disorganised like we are on D and there is no structure at all, its hard to generate anything offensively.. Jugling lines is pretty useless at the moment, we have to come back at better habbits and more structured hockey..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Discuss........

Right now there is one line working. Thats all we've got. I don't see Therien juggling to launch the other lines. Also we have a hungry kid in the press box while DD gets better at being a play killer.

Nothing is changing on its own. Time for MT to force things.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Would there be any chance Kirk Muller would coach here if he's fired from Carolina?

I haven't followed Carolina because I have better things to do with my time but the guys at Hockey Central brought up his name as the 4th or 5th coach likely to be fired if things don't go well in Carolina. They were updating the list after Laviolette was fired in Philly.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:47 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post

the guy turned eller,galchenyuk,gallagher, subban, diaz, and emelin into consistent NHLERs in 38 games. go ahead and press the panic button if you want, but to complain about the lack of chemistry after 3 games is absolutely ridiculous imho.

Id rather talk about someone who finally trusts our young players with heavy duty and rides them for top minutes. question of time before others chip in. you think maxpac is going to stay in the passenger seat? come on. time to have a little bit of faith going here folks.
Its more than three games. It goes back to the complete meltdown last season and the wise moves of moving his leading goal scorer to the third line (which enabled us to move forward and get Briere)

I appreciate the trust he has placed in his young players. However, one youthful line that is producing cannot carry the team over a season.

And our PP became one dimensional last season and we are seeing the same thing this season. It is easy to defeat our PP by simply moving the forwards up and put pressure on our D. All the teams are doing that now and for good reason. Shut down PK, Montreal is ineffective on the PP.

Old
10-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

I like the faith he's put in the EGG line, but this playing Bouillon 20 minutes a night has to stop. He's not an effective defenseman anymore, and he sure as hell isn't someone you want on the PP.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Galchenyuk is a #3 overall pick. Many believe he would have actually been the #1 overall had it not been for his injury.
PK was already a very solid Dman before Therrien got here. I think it's actually funny that it took an injury to Diaz to finally make Therrien use PK more. Still, he barely uses our Norris winner on the PK while giving struggling rookies like Tinordi the most PK time..great strategy, I must say...
Gallagher has played well.
Diaz is not looking good buddy. He looked decent during a stretch last year but then got injured and been pretty mediocre since. JJ Daigneault is also in charge of the Dman, not Therrien.

But here's the post I wroth in the PGT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He puts it on himself though with his weird decisions. His obsession with Bouillon is just flat out weird. Seriously, what does he see in this guy to have him play as much as PK, or heck even more than him after 2 periods.
Why was Eller scratched after the first game in Toronto last year and DD gets a pass despite playing like crap throughout last season plus the start of this one?
Why did he waste training camp doing pretty much nothing? I know it's a time to check out youngsters, and shake the rust off veterans, but it's also the time to experiment new lines especially if you have young guys possibly ready for upgraded roles.
Why is MaxPac still glued to DD?
Why couldn't he adjust throughout this game by sitting useless guys like DD and Briere and try a new Power trio with Bourque-Plek-MaxPac?
Why is Francis freaking Bouillon still being used on the PP? Is he expecting him to suddenly become this amazing point man??
Why is our Norris winner barely used on the PK?
How does he play as much as a 34 veterans that barely played for 3 years and just came back last season? (and I love Markov)

I wasn't happy with the hiring of MT. I would have kept JM over him. But I thought he handled himself well in the press, and convinced me that hey he might actually have learned some things that will make him come here with a fresh and reinvented coaching methodology. I didn't like some of the decisions he took last year, but it was his first year, but repeating the same mistakes is troublesome for me.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Galchenyuk is a #3 overall pick. Many believe he would have actually been the #1 overall had it not been for his injury.
PK was already a very solid Dman before Therrien got here. I think it's actually funny that it took an injury to Diaz to finally make Therrien use PK more. Still, he barely uses our Norris winner on the PK while giving struggling rookies like Tinordi the most PK time..great strategy, I must say...
Gallagher has played well.
Diaz is not looking good buddy. He looked decent during a stretch last year but then got injured and been pretty mediocre since. JJ Daigneault is also in charge of the Dman, not Therrien.

But here's the post I wroth in the PGT:
I found it unbelievable that he didn't try Gallchenyuk at center in the preseason. No excuses for him.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:05 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

DISCLAIMER

This is not a fire Michel Therrien thread.

This is just a centralized place to gripe about the piss poor job he has been doing lately with his ice times and line combos.

If we miss the playoffs, then it will be time for the "Fire Therrien" Thread.

Old
10-10-2013, 12:06 AM
sergejean

MT, I'm not sure if it's because he his a Quebecois or not has received more criticisms that he really deserved. He's not perfect but you can always tell that he has a no non-sense attitude that I like right now for our team.

sergejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:18 AM
keepcalmandbeninja

MT could benefit from his own doctrine of "internal competition" as he always says...in the form of having Guy Boucher re-involved in our organization...

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:20 AM
OneSharpMarble

It is clearly MTs fault useless plugs like briere and DD are on the team.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:22 AM
SB164

He was badly outcoached by Paul Mclean last year, he just allowed his emotions to get the best of him while Mclean seemed cool as a cucumber. I don't know what to expect from him this season. But I've never thought of MT as a very cerebral coach (a la Mike Babcock, Dave Tippett, Ken Hitchcock)

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:44 AM
sergejean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
He was badly outcoached by Paul Mclean last year, he just allowed his emotions to get the best of him while Mclean seemed cool as a cucumber. I don't know what to expect from him this season. But I've never thought of MT as a very cerebral coach (a la Mike Babcock, Dave Tippett, Ken Hitchcock)
It's always easy to be cool when your players are knocking out the opposition. Therrien is a bully at heart and really would be better served with a bigger, meaner team. Maybe we will get there or maybe we wont. Therrien probably will not be there anyway...but...the criticism this guy get is usually unwarranted given the huge improvment this team made this past year and the improvment the young guys made in a short period... In any case, I expect his abrasive personality to be kicked out of MTL within the next two years or so but at the end of the day he will ha ve represented a turnover in the franchise and in the right direction.

Old
10-10-2013, 12:52 AM
CaptainBenn
King Thranduil swag

Quote:

the guy turned eller,galchenyuk,gallagher, subban, diaz, and emelin into consistent NHLERs in 38 games.
Is that a joke?
Oh so they obviously wouldnt be consistent nhlers without him?
Makes me wanna puke
Subban was a superstar long before Therrien became the coach

Edit: your post really disturbed me, do you really think Therrien is the reason Galchenyuk or Eller are good nhlers right now?

CaptainBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:53 AM
Draft

I've always liked Guy Boucher's cerebral, off-kilter approach.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 01:06 AM
sergejean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Is that a joke?
Oh so they obviously wouldnt be consistent nhlers without him?
Makes me wanna puke
Subban was a superstar long before Therrien became the coach

Edit: your post really disturbed me, do you really think Therrien is the reason Galchenyuk or Eller are good nhlers right now?
Subban was already good but I give Mt credit for transitioning Gallagher and Galchy as well as pushing Eller to become a better player. And no, I am not kidding.

Last edited by sergejean: 10-10-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old
10-10-2013, 01:09 AM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:

Discuss........

Literally every team's fans think their coach sucks at adjustments. There's really only so much you can do in-game in terms of coaching an NHL game.