HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Strikeforce: Houston

Old
08-21-2010, 11:38 PM
bruinsfan46

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Vole View Post
Strikeforce has a new Star in Fejjao. I remember how when Moussasi became the the champion people were saying he would have no compitition. It turns out Moussasi losing has proven to be a blessing in diguise for strikeforce as it has given them two potent lightheavyweights.

While not as deep as the UFC, suddenly the lhw devision in strikeforce is not looking so shallow anymore.

Moussasi
Dan Henderson
Fejjao
King Mo
Babalu

are all legit top-ten fighters.

Not a single one of those guys are top ten LHWs or even all that close.

Strikeforce hasn't impressed me of late. I love MMA so I still watch but I just don't find myself impressed by their fights or their fighters all that much recently. Jacare barely won a sloppy kickboxing match against another grappler, King Mo gets TKO'd, weren't these supposed to be their best fighters on the card? Feijao was the only one on the card that really had an impressive performance.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:42 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post

Not a single one of those guys are top ten LHWs or even all that close.

Strikeforce hasn't impressed me of late. I love MMA so I still watch but I just don't find myself impressed by their fights or their fighters all that much recently. Jacare barely won a sloppy kickboxing match against another grappler, King Mo gets TKO'd, weren't these supposed to be their best fighters on the card? Feijao was the only one on the card that really had an impressive performance.
I think Strikeforce is going to be in a situation where, when their fighters are putting on impressive performances and proving that they are top-10 fighters, they'll get scooped up by the UFC.

They do have three high potential LHW though in Mousasi, King Mo and Feijao (if he maintains his conditioning), would love to see Mousasi in the UFC.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Night_Vole

Top-ten might have been the wrong term to use, as I didn’t mean like official Sherdog ranking or whatever, I meant more in terms of talent. You can't really have reliable rankings without cross-promotion so in my opinion other than Shogun Rampage and Machida (who are the only real clear cut guys above the rest at this point) the rest is very debatable and subjective. So in terms of talent the guys I mentioned are all high caliber contenders, which will provide Strikeforce with interesting matches in the Lhw division.

Night_Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:51 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Vole View Post
Top-ten might have been the wrong term to use, as I didnít mean like official Sherdog ranking or whatever, I meant more in terms of talent. You can't really have reliable rankings without cross-promotion so in my opinion other than Shogun Rampage and Machida (who are the only real clear cut guys above the rest at this point) the rest is very debatable and subjective. So in terms of talent the guys I mentioned are all high caliber contenders, which will provide Strikeforce for interesting matches in the Lhw division.
They got some talented fighters for sure. It just seems like those talented fighters have had some serious duds of performances lately. And after the likes of Shogun/Machida/Evans/Rampage it really drops off I agree and the rest is all pretty debatable.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
They got some talented fighters for sure. It just seems like those talented fighters have had some serious duds of performances lately. And after the likes of Shogun/Machida/Evans/Rampage it really drops off I agree and the rest is all pretty debatable.
Add Jon Jones to that list. He could probably beat all four of those guys you listed so he would easily take out the Strikeforce LHWs.

I would also take Lil Nog and Franklin over the Strikeforce guys except for maybe Mousasi.

IMO, Strikeforce has one or two guys (Mousasi and King Mo) who could be considered top 10 LHWs. But I wouldn't be surprised one bit if a guy like Forrest beat King Mo.

I agree with your earlier post, I haven't been impressed by Strikeforce at all lately.

WEC>Strikeforce

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 02:26 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Still not impressed with his power. He was hitting Gurgel with everything he had and only got a KO due to him rocking Gurgel after the bell.
Ok, I'm not a Noons fan at all but give me a break. That might be one of the nicest pure KO's you'll see. The knee at the end was retarded by him obviously, but his hands looked great.

Last edited by m9: 08-22-2010 at 10:14 AM.
m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 02:29 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
I think Strikeforce is going to be in a situation where, when their fighters are putting on impressive performances and proving that they are top-10 fighters, they'll get scooped up by the UFC.

They do have three high potential LHW though in Mousasi, King Mo and Feijao (if he maintains his conditioning), would love to see Mousasi in the UFC.
Mousasi (and maybe even Mo) should be at 185. The guys at the top of Strikeforce 205 aren't great, but they are all fairly competitive so it keeps it close.. all are in the 8-20 range in overall rankings so it makes it kind of fun.

Old
08-22-2010, 02:37 AM
m9

Anyways.. thoughts on the card in general.

Not much to say on the undercard. Cormier continues to look good. Didn't catch any other fights.

Lashley completely gassed and looks a bit too stiff to be a top level MMA guy. That being said, that's gotta be one of the worst standups in MMA history. The guy's in full mount and you stand it up? Crazy. He was doing some solid work from the top too.

Noons had a nice performance, I love watching some of his boxing. Hopefully Gurgel sticks with just the coaching or gets tossed down a few notches.

The Jacare/Kennedy fight went pretty much as expected. Close fight.

Mo looked absolutely clueless when his takedowns weren't working. Most people knew Feijao had the advantage standing, but few thought he could keep it there. This shouldn't be a massive upset, because it wasn't that long ago that people thouht Feijao was going to be the next big star, until Mike Kyle upset him. It seems like any title at 205 is hard to defend..

Last edited by m9: 08-22-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old
08-22-2010, 02:49 AM
William H Bonney

08-22-2010, 11:01 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Still not impressed with his power. He was hitting Gurgel with everything he had and only got a KO due to him rocking Gurgel after the bell.
Gurgel's got a chin on him though, this is the first time he's been stopped from strikes in 20 career fights, and he's taken some beatings in the past. And sure, the punch at the end of the first was a hair late, but it's not like he cracked Gurgel when he wasn't expecting it or something. It was a legitimate power shot that landed cleanly and almost knocked out a guy who'd never been KO'd before.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Gurgel's got a chin on him though, this is the first time he's been stopped from strikes in 20 career fights, and he's taken some beatings in the past. And sure, the punch at the end of the first was a hair late, but it's not like he cracked Gurgel when he wasn't expecting it or something. It was a legitimate power shot that landed cleanly and almost knocked out a guy who'd never been KO'd before.
Man, that punch was just being thrown as the bell rung. It was definitely pretty late, I thought. Gurgel seemed like he was about to turn and walk away.

Either way, KJ is a dirtbag. Especially with that knee. He's so unlikable as well with just his ****** personality.

Gurgel is a borderline can at this point in his career (granted, KJ isn't that far above him). Was funny listening to Frank essentially make fun of how stupid he is, though.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Either way, KJ is a dirtbag. Especially with that knee. He's so unlikable as well with just his ****** personality.
I agree with this, but I'm also able to see past this and enjoy some of his fights.

His combos are a thing of beauty in the MMA world.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 02:08 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
I agree with this, but I'm also able to see past this and enjoy some of his fights.

His combos are a thing of beauty in the MMA world.
Pretty much agree with this as well, although my hatred for him is a bit less than some others around here.

Old
08-22-2010, 08:45 PM
northstarsforever

Working on the standings right now. Thanks for the patience. Been a crazy couple of days.

northstarsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:57 PM
northstarsforever

Strikeforce: Houston results
The Rage 8-3-0
mark9 8-3-0
AndyPipkin 7-4-0
Avs_19 6-4-1
northstarsforever 6-3-2
Cyris 6-2-3
Live in the Now 5-2-4
DaaaaaB's 5-2-4
Killahpunk 5-2-4
Captain_Cunney 4-3-4
Jonathan. 4-2-5
alexthekidd 3-3-5
colonel_korn 3-3-5
DeathFromAbove 3-2-6
ScoreVancouver 3-2-6
TheBigSwede 3-2-6
Ensane 2-3-6
kurt 1-2-8

northstarsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:38 AM
BGDDYKWL

Talk about a horrible night for Strikeforce. Bad reffing in both the Lashley and Noons fight, what some considered a controversial decision in the vacant title fight, and two of your tops guys that you're trying to build the company around lose in convincing fashion. Dana must be thrilled.

Lashley was completely exposed, but I wouldn't say it was shocking. Clearly he has a lot of work to do and quite frankly is going to need to decide if he wants to do this. IMO he doesn't have the mindset for this and will stick around for another big payday or two and that'll be that.

Mo has too much of the White Men Can't Jump line in him about looking good first and winning second. I realize he was struggling for the takedown (which was disappointing considering how highly he prasies his own wrestling) but he showboats too much in there, and when he knew it was clear Cavalcante was getting the better of him he went in for some wild exchange and got caught. Dumb.

Kennedy lost that fight, plain and simple. Sure it was close, and he obviously didn't get dominated, but a unanimous 48-47 was perfect there (I realize there was a 49-46, but close enough). I had heard some good things about him but never saw him fight. He was very stiff, flat-footed, and slow; that surprised me.

Overall this was a rough night for Strikeforce. I think the only winner in all this was Dave Batista.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote