HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At The Rink "New Jersey Devils Edition" - All Things Related To Playing Hockey

Old
12-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Cowbell232

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
I played there against Bridgewater/Raritan a couple of years ago......for the condition of the entire facility, I was pretty impressed with the ice......has that old school type of bleachers above the rink (didn't help that a kid on my team headbutted another kid and had a mother throwing stuff at him as he went to the locker room )

To the guy who just started playing; ^^^ sums it up pretty well......skate as often and as much as possible, it will come to you eventually......this may sound and look cheesey, but it can help you out (based on the experience you said you have with hockey) is to take a cone and just push it in front of you as you skate, to just get a feel/comfort zone in the begining, won't have to worry about falling, it's all about getting used to and a good feel for yourself when you're skating......roller hockey is a great way to practice skating also because ice isn't always open (harder to learn to stop at first, but you'll get the jist)

Muttley- funny you bring up the figure skating thing because my dad played for a defunct minor league team (Binghamton Barons, eventually became the Dusters and they became the Whalers and a few other names) and that team he was on used to have a figure skating person come in for a practice every week

and don't you be making fun of my buddies who play(ed) for the Wildcats
It's got new ownership now. You wouldn't even believe it's the same rink it's so nice now. Absolutely great facility and a great management.

Figure skating helps of course. The best skating coaches out there are women too, kind of strange when you think about it.

And in all fairness, I've played open with some Wildcats. Some are really nice kids, and some think they can crack the pros one day. And nothing for nothing, but if you can't skate circles around me, you don't have a shot...

12-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
It's got new ownership now. You wouldn't even believe it's the same rink it's so nice now. Absolutely great facility and a great management.

Figure skating helps of course. The best skating coaches out there are women too, kind of strange when you think about it.

And in all fairness, I've played open with some Wildcats. Some are really nice kids, and some think they can crack the pros one day. And nothing for nothing, but if you can't skate circles around me, you don't have a shot...
Really, interesting/good to know....I played there in the 08-09 HS season and it really was in bad shape, so I'm glad to hear they have turned things around

funny you say that about the wildcats, because the friends I have who are/were on that team have all thought they were going pro.....don't get me wrong, they are some of the better hockey players in the area, but really not much more than that

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:38 PM
mugs

Quote:
I notice your location is Branchburg. In Dunellen right off Rt 22 there is the Rock Ice Center. It's a little pricey but there's an adult clinic with all skill levels of players on Tuesday nights. I've been playing there for almost a year. I HIGHLY recommend it.

My name is Steve, I play on the White team there. Come find me.
From their website:
Quote:
It's Time For Stick Time

A perfect way to work on your puck handling skills with other skaters. Full hockey gear is required. See calendar for days/times.
So that's different from "Open Hockey" in that it's just a time to practice, not play pickup games or what have you? That sounds perfect for me, once I learn to skate better.

I'll need to get a full set of gear before I do that or one of the clinics. So far I just have the skates and helmet for now. I don't even have a stick yet because 1. I haven't researched them to know what to buy yet, and 2. I can't use it at Bridgewater Sports Arena except during open hockey.

Speaking of equipment - to the manager from Pure who has been posting in this thread, the girl who helped me pick out my skates and helmet at your store on Sunday was very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
Skating is the best possible thing to do. Go to as many public skating sessions as you can. Keep doing it. Everything else will fall into place. You also get to "accidentally" bump into those sexy Eastern European figure skaters who hog up the corners, along with their equally sexy coaches. It's really a good place to pick up chicks. So is Shop Rite, but that's another story.

Most people's skating is atrocious. Horrendous. Downright pitiful. If you see a good skater, most likely he started playing at like age 5, has private coaches and gets to spend his summers at hockey camps in Minnesota. You don't have that luxury, but if you skate well, you will resemble them.

I ran into that jerk Rod Gilbert at the Ice House in Hackensack around Christmas time 1999. I heard him tell some younger kids that if they practice their skating, everything else will follow. It's very true to a certain extent.

If you master forward, backward stride, lateral movement, edges, stopping/starting, you will be a master on the ice. Only those bratty New England prep school kids and some Wildcat dudes will beat you. (sometimes). That's about it.

Skate, skate, skate.

I said skate.
Yeah, I definitely recognize skating as my biggest hurdle before I can play. BSA has one of their rinks reserved for people in their Learn to Skate classes during certain times, so I've been going then. I feel kind of weird though, being the lone 29 year old guy on a rink full of 7-13 year old girls. Seems like Michelle Kwan is keeping that place in business.

mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugs View Post
So that's different from "Open Hockey" in that it's just a time to practice, not play pickup games or what have you? That sounds perfect for me, once I learn to skate better.
"Open hockey", sometimes called "shinny" (pronounced shin-ee), or sometimes called "drop-in" is basically a bunch of guys show up, split into teams and play hockey.

Stick-time, sometimes called 'family hockey' or 'pond style hockey' is basically public skating with pucks. Slapshots are not allowed, in order to keep kids safe, and it's a great idea for you to do that. All you *need* at the Rock Ice Center to do stick time are skates/helmet/stick.

If you let me know in advance when you plan on going, I'd be more then happy to come tag along and give you some pointers there. I believe they also are going to try to open up some stick time on Sundays.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:29 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
"Open hockey", sometimes called "shinny" (pronounced shin-ee), or sometimes called "drop-in" is basically a bunch of guys show up, split into teams and play hockey.

Stick-time, sometimes called 'family hockey' or 'pond style hockey' is basically public skating with pucks. Slapshots are not allowed, in order to keep kids safe, and it's a great idea for you to do that. All you *need* at the Rock Ice Center to do stick time are skates/helmet/stick.

If you let me know in advance when you plan on going, I'd be more then happy to come tag along and give you some pointers there. I believe they also are going to try to open up some stick time on Sundays.
Open is called Rat Hockey out here in Chicago....I was looking for open/shinny out here and couldn't find it until someone told me that it was called "Rat Hockey" Not sure where that came from though.

Stick-time can be called "Shoot and skate" also.

Another Late night last night. Our A an B divisions have gotten **** ice times this session compared to the managers baby (30+) league. Have only had two games earlier than 10:30pm out of 13. last night playoffs at 10:50. So naturally, i got home after 2am from our binge drinking locker room session.

I lo0ve how playoffs bring out the best players....We played a team we were battling with at 4th and 5th place all season. All of the sudden there were 4 guys i have never seen with them before. Now don't get me wrong, every team has a few ringers, but this was alittle out of hand. these were 21 yr old junior type players....I am the youngest on our team at 31...We stuck with them for quite a while despite their superior skating of 6 "new" guys, and were up on them a decent part of the game. we were mostly on the defensive, but were holding our own. But the third came and our age showed...being behind a desk or wheel takes it's toll on you compared to the young legs.

I finished the season okay: 13gp: 11g (1shg/1gw), 9a= 20pts, 4pims. we averaged about 6goals/game as a team, so i did fairly well i'd say. We finished 7w-6l

Last edited by JRZ DVLS: 12-09-2010 at 10:36 AM.
JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:54 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Open is called Rat Hockey out here in Chicago....I was looking for open/shinny out here and couldn't find it until someone told me that it was called "Rat Hockey" Not sure where that came from though.

Stick-time can be called "Shoot and skate" also.

Another Late night last night. Our A an B divisions have gotten **** ice times this session compared to the managers baby (30+) league. Have only had two games earlier than 10:30pm out of 13. last night playoffs at 10:50. So naturally, i got home after 2am from our binge drinking locker room session.

I lo0ve how playoffs bring out the best players....We played a team we were battling with at 4th and 5th place all season. All of the sudden there were 4 guys i have never seen with them before. Now don't get me wrong, every team has a few ringers, but this was alittle out of hand. these were 21 yr old junior type players....I am the youngest on our team at 31...We stuck with them for quite a while despite their superior skating of 6 "new" guys, and were up on them a decent part of the game. we were mostly on the defensive, but were holding our own. But the third came and our age showed...being behind a desk or wheel takes it's toll on you compared to the young legs.

I finished the season okay: 13gp: 11g (1shg/1gw), 9a= 20pts, 4pims. we averaged about 6goals/game as a team, so i did fairly well i'd say. We finished 7w-6l
are you eliminated now? good stats btw

anyone play roller in NJ? i'm a goalie looking to join any team in january-onward.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:21 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post

anyone play roller in NJ? i'm a goalie looking to join any team in january-onward.
Yeah, thats what sucks, we didnt bring in any ringers, you never know who your gonna face on the other side tho..... We have our two guys that can be considered ringers, but i wouldnt. They play with us all the time and take regular shifts, and are not as good as these other guys. They were clearly A Leaguers, and we are B leaguers with a couple top tier B leaguers

We have a break in play until @ jan 10t, so i get to heal up a bit. Have been having a nagging groin, tendonitis in my shoulder, and sore ankle. Sucks getting old.....

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:23 AM
DangleSnipeCelly
Formerly KupsforKovy

Anybody looking for players for late winter/spring leagues? I am sick of my team that I have been on for years. I figured I would ask here before I make the decision to jump ship in the league I am in now. Any were in NW/N jersey would be best as well as most games on weekends.

DangleSnipeCelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Basement Cat
Frank Drebin

So my S17 just snapped in a game today and I went out and got the Bauer TotalOne. For anyone that has used it, do you have any reviews/comments?

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:05 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Anyone know of open hockey on Tuesday or Thursday nights? I need to start playing more, my games are killing me and hitting the gym isn't helping. I'm probably going to start going Friday morning at Randolph. If anyone knows of any places with Tuesday or Thursday night open hockey, let me know. Thanks.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:10 AM
The Devil In I
#NoPainNoLaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post

Where are you located? And are you at least a fairly good goalie? I play at ISCA and my team needs a goalie to split part of this season...maybe next season we'll have a full time slot open.

The Devil In I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
So my S17 just snapped in a game today and I went out and got the Bauer TotalOne. For anyone that has used it, do you have any reviews/comments?
What curve/flex did you get? I'm leaning towards a Bauer as my next stick. I love my S19s because they've been lasting forever, but the blades just get so soft. It's annoying not knowing what stick is going to show up, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Anyone know of open hockey on Tuesday or Thursday nights? I need to start playing more, my games are killing me and hitting the gym isn't helping. I'm probably going to start going Friday morning at Randolph. If anyone knows of any places with Tuesday or Thursday night open hockey, let me know. Thanks.
Rock Ice Center in Dunellen has a (albeit pricey) clinic that is great on Tuesdays.

Union has open Tues and Thursdays.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:41 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:
The response from most customers has been positive. Like any other stick, there are always people who's experiences have been different. I have one in my garage that I'll get around to using one of these days.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Basement Cat
Frank Drebin

Quote:
What curve/flex did you get? I'm leaning towards a Bauer as my next stick. I love my S19s because they've been lasting forever, but the blades just get so soft. It's annoying not knowing what stick is going to show up, haha.
The curve is Stamkos and the flex was 77 but I cut it down to somewhere in the low 80s.

I was actually going to get the S19 but I remembered how much I liked the One90 from Bauer so I wanted to give this one a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
The response from most customers has been positive. Like any other stick, there are always people who's experiences have been different. I have one in my garage that I'll get around to using one of these days.
Are you the owner of Pure Hockey? That's where I bought it haha.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
I don't know if you'll know the answer, but after they updated the Supreme line with the One100 and TotalOne, I'm guessing the Vapor line is next or is it being phased out?

Old
12-29-2010, 11:32 AM
DangleSnipeCelly
Formerly KupsforKovy

I plan on picking up a totalone this week from pure. My prostocks were starting to chip and crack so I figured I would get them signed before it's too late. I will go with a lighter flex then what I am used to, mainly because I want more whip on my wristers. I'll stick the the backstrom curve aswell (the bauer equivalent to the sakic).

We both use the same set up pretty much CB, so my review on it will compare well to your experiencence. I will let you know how it goes after my men's league all-star game this weekend

DangleSnipeCelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
The curve is Stamkos and the flex was 77 but I cut it down to somewhere in the low 80s.

I was actually going to get the S19 but I remembered how much I liked the One90 from Bauer so I wanted to give this one a shot.

Are you the owner of Pure Hockey? That's where I bought it haha.
Well let us know what you think. I'm probably looking in the ~100 area for flex though. I feel like I'm going to break anything lower.

And he's the (a?) manager there. Pure Hockey is a huge chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KupsforKovy View Post
I plan on picking up a totalone this week from pure. My prostocks were starting to chip and crack so I figured I would get them signed before it's too late. I will go with a lighter flex then what I am used to, mainly because I want more whip on my wristers. I'll stick the the backstrom curve aswell (the bauer equivalent to the sakic).

We both use the same set up pretty much CB, so my review on it will compare well to your experiencence. I will let you know how it goes after my men's league all-star game this weekend
Let me know what one you get.

I've gotten really used to my Sakic curve S19 100 Flex. But I feel like I shoot too high too often, I want a more neutral faced curve. The Bauer Stamkos might be a good fit.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Basement Cat
Frank Drebin

You are right CB. I meant the manager of the one in Fairfield. Sorry about that.

And I like the flex in the 80s. But, I am only 16 and you are obviously bigger than I am.

I'll let you guys know tonight about the stick. And the Stamkos curve

Old
12-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Cowbell232

Also, Friday morning open hockey at Union Sports Arena. Everyone should come out.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Semak

vCash:
Quote:
Wait, are you the guy that has the store? I need equipment, stat!

I'm showing up on friday with an old Lemieux bowl Jofa helmet and an aluminum Christian shaft. Please, no laughing.

By the way, full shield, half shield or no shield for open hockey these days?

Old
12-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
Wait, are you the guy that has the store? I need equipment, stat!

I'm showing up on friday with an old Lemieux bowl Jofa helmet and an aluminum Christian shaft. Please, no laughing.

By the way, full shield, half shield or no shield for open hockey these days?
I wear a half shield during open, and I'll bring a backup helmet (with cage) for you just in case. I also have spare gloves, cause I think you needed them. That's about all I can help you with.

And yeah, that's the guy I was talking to you about... lol

Old
12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

Quote:
Also, Friday morning open hockey at Union Sports Arena. Everyone should come out.
Yeah, seriously...you get a chance to meet ME.

Watch my backhand, though.

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Semak

vCash:
Quote:
I wear a half shield during open, and I'll bring a backup helmet (with cage) for you just in case. I also have spare gloves, cause I think you needed them. That's about all I can help you with.

And yeah, that's the guy I was talking to you about... lol
Cool. I'm on a holding pattern today waiting for the little lady to fly in, but I'll probably go there tomorrow. I'll let you know if I need the gloves. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Yeah, seriously...you get a chance to meet ME.

Watch my backhand, though.
That bad huh?

I haven't been on ice in years, so I shouldn't talk much

Old
12-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
Cool. I'm on a holding pattern today waiting for the little lady to fly in, but I'll probably go there tomorrow. I'll let you know if I need the gloves. Thanks

That bad huh?

I haven't been on ice in years, so I shouldn't talk much
I'll bring the bucket and the gloves either way, just in case.

And no, it's that good.

Old
12-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Semak

vCash:
Quote:
I'll bring the bucket and the gloves either way, just in case.

And no, it's that good.
Alrighty then.

Maybe a white jersey. I only have 2 practice red ones from my HS glory days.