HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At The Rink "New Jersey Devils Edition" - All Things Related To Playing Hockey

Old
12-29-2010, 02:07 PM
DangleSnipeCelly
Formerly KupsforKovy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Well let us know what you think. I'm probably looking in the ~100 area for flex though. I feel like I'm going to break anything lower.

And he's the (a?) manager there. Pure Hockey is a huge chain.

Let me know what one you get.

I've gotten really used to my Sakic curve S19 100 Flex. But I feel like I shoot too high too often, I want a more neutral faced curve. The Bauer Stamkos might be a good fit.
I use the 110 sakic and want to use the 100 flex. I will definetly join you guys for open Friday at union though

DangleSnipeCelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
Alrighty then.

Maybe a white jersey. I only have 2 practice red ones from my HS glory days.
I almost always have extra socks/jerseys with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KupsforKovy View Post
I use the 110 sakic and want to use the 100 flex. I will definetly join you guys for open Friday at union though
I'm not happy with my S19 anymore. The shaft durability has been exceptional, but this is the THIRD S19 I've had with blade problems and they do feel 'soft' after a bit. Shouldn't happen with a composite. Definitely trying a Bauer or Warrior next.

Old
12-29-2010, 02:35 PM
DangleSnipeCelly
Formerly KupsforKovy

Quote:
I almost always have extra socks/jerseys with me.

I'm not happy with my S19 anymore. The shaft durability has been exceptional, but this is the THIRD S19 I've had with blade problems and they do feel 'soft' after a bit. Shouldn't happen with a composite. Definitely trying a Bauer or Warrior next.
I don't like two things about warrior.1 I don't like how square their shafts are. And 2 they r a relatively new hockey company, so I wouldn't trust their sticks yet.

Old
12-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
I don't like two things about warrior.1 I don't like how square their shafts are. And 2 they r a relatively new hockey company, so I wouldn't trust their sticks yet.
I have big hands, I like the shaft. (TWSS)

They also seem to have the closet curves to what I'm looking for. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, the Kovalchuk curve looks dead on for what I want. Big mid curve with a neutral face.

(Link to it)

Here's the Bauer curve I'm most likely (probably in the 75% sure range) going to try on a One100 or TotalOne.

Link again
The P88 curve, a big mid curve, pretty neutral face.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:29 PM
DangleSnipeCelly
Formerly KupsforKovy

Quote:
I have big hands, I like the shaft. (TWSS)

They also seem to have the closet curves to what I'm looking for. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, the Kovalchuk curve looks dead on for what I want. Big mid curve with a neutral face.

(Link to it)

Here's the Bauer curve I'm most likely (probably in the 75% sure range) going to try on a One100 or TotalOne.

Link again
The P88 curve, a big mid curve, pretty neutral face.
mid curves are the best, they allow you to pocket the puck just right for everything (shooting,carrying the puck, passing), It is all in the toe as to what else to do with a curve) a closed up toe like in the kovy curve is ideal for keeping your shot under control. I just prefer the bigger curve in the toe in terms of the Sakic, i tend to shoot high all the time anyways, so a curve that helps is not a bad thing for me.

I just hate changing curves. I used the Sakic pretty much my whole life and just am so used to it. I got a custom Vapor 60 made from Bauer, and I went with the Richards curve cause the description said it was the "big shooters curve" and i hate it so much. Don't fix a machine if it aint broken i suppose

Old
12-29-2010, 10:26 PM
DevsFan84

I had a few questions/comments directed toward me- I'm too lazy to quote them all

-I am the store manager of the Fairfield, NJ Pure Hockey. My name is Joe, feel free to say hi if you stop in. Also, I genuinely appreciate any feedback (both positive and negative) about the store as that is the only way we know if we are doing a good job and how we can do better. I'd rather not turn any thread into a "Pure Hockey" thread, so in person or via PM would be preferred.

-Cowbell, Bauer generally phases out the Supreme line and the Vapor line every other year. So next year will be the new Vapor stuff, year after Supremes, etc.

-If someone can post what time the Friday open at Union is, I'd be happy to come down and play some open hockey with you guys if we can get a few people there. I play goal (poorly) but it sounds like fun.

Thanks
~joe

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

To Devsfan84 (Pure Hockey manager)...I boguht the TotalOne yesterday from you guys and I used it today (loved it, I'll talk about it later in the post) and I was just wondering...I doubt that it will happen but if it breaks, and I threw out my receipt (I know, dumb move) will I still be able ot capitlize on the 30 day warranty?

Little Review of the TotalOne for Cowbell and others...

-My slapshot was about similar to the one with the S17, maybe a little hardr. The difference was that it was rising a lot. I guess that I just have to get used to the stick to be able to control the slapper better. Overall, I am excited to keep trying it out tomorrow. It definitely has potential

-My wrister and snapshot were better I think. A lot more velocity. That accuracy was a bit off but that is expected with a new stick. I'll get used ot it.

-The feel was great. The stick is very light but it felt like there was no way that I was going to lose the puck. I had really goo control, way better than with the S17.

-My passing certainly got sharper. There was one passed that I did not think was going to be connected but I was able to thread the needle with a saucebomb that went from the hashmarks in my end to the other blue line.

Overall, great stick and I can't wait to keep using it.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
-If someone can post what time the Friday open at Union is, I'd be happy to come down and play some open hockey with you guys if we can get a few people there. I play goal (poorly) but it sounds like fun.
It's from 8:30-10:00 AM.

Goalies would definitely be a welcome addition.

I'm probably going to end up coming up to Pure in the next few weeks for a stick. My S19's toe is starting to separate. Again. Is that something that you see often?

Old
12-29-2010, 11:18 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
To Devsfan84 (Pure Hockey manager)...I boguht the TotalOne yesterday from you guys and I used it today (loved it, I'll talk about it later in the post) and I was just wondering...I doubt that it will happen but if it breaks, and I threw out my receipt (I know, dumb move) will I still be able ot capitlize on the 30 day warranty?
You need the receipt for the warranty...but if it breaks within the 30 days come and see me, and I'll make sure Bauer takes care of you.

If you'd prefer, I can reprint your receipt. Again, just swing by and I'll take care of it for you.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:26 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
It's from 8:30-10:00 AM.

Goalies would definitely be a welcome addition.

I'm probably going to end up coming up to Pure in the next few weeks for a stick. My S19's toe is starting to separate. Again. Is that something that you see often?
s19's are notorious for blade problems. For a stick in that range, try the totalone or an eq50.

Do you usually get a good turnout there for the morning open hockey?

Old
12-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
s19's are notorious for blade problems. For a stick in that range, try the totalone or an eq50.

Yeah, I'm done with Easton for now I think. I really, really love my S19 too if it weren't for constant blade problems. I've had two retail and two pro-stocks, all have strange non-standard wear blade problems. Leaning heavily on a Totalone or One100.

We're getting a decent number just from here... at least 5-6 I think. I'm sure it'll be a good turnout with kids home on break and people having off.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, I'm done with Easton for now I think. I really, really love my S19 too if it weren't for constant blade problems. I've had two retail and two pro-stocks, all have strange non-standard wear blade problems. Leaning heavily on a Totalone or One100.

We're getting a decent number just from here... at least 5-6 I think. I'm sure it'll be a good turnout with kids home on break and people having off.
To furthermore add to this, a friend on my team last year went through 3 S19's from the fall season to the end of the HS season in March......first one broke in half, second was because of something with the blade, and the third one he got was a 'new' version that was a different material S19 that he didn't like, but didn't bother to get a new stick with 3 weeks left in the season

I've had an ST for 2 years, the longest a stick has lasted me, and I love the stick, but the end of the blade has eroded and is shot......haven't bothered to get a new stick since I haven't played as much

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
You need the receipt for the warranty...but if it breaks within the 30 days come and see me, and I'll make sure Bauer takes care of you.

If you'd prefer, I can reprint your receipt. Again, just swing by and I'll take care of it for you.
Thanks a ton pal. I hope I don't have any issues though. It's a great stick.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Cowbell232

Update: I just got a chain e-mail from another group of guys I play with.

The turnout at Union will be pretty good. Expect a full game, multiple lines type situation. If you HF'ers want to play together, bring two jerseys so we can match up. Learn towards dark I think.

Goalies, show up early or bring stuff to skate out.

Old
12-30-2010, 10:34 AM
DangleSnipeCelly
Formerly KupsforKovy

Stopping by Pure on the way home from work to get a totalone and get my skates sharpened. Joe, I noticed one of your workers,not sure if it is you, sit in 229 as season ticket holders.

Old
12-30-2010, 10:38 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

As long as I get to play with you CB!

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:18 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Rolston View Post
Where are you located? And are you at least a fairly good goalie? I play at ISCA and my team needs a goalie to split part of this season...maybe next season we'll have a full time slot open.
sorry, i didn't notice this until just now..im a gosh darn good goalie, been playing for almost 15 years..but i havent played in 2-3. wallington is a bit far for me, thanks anyway..i think im just going to join a league in morristown again

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Scottyk9
Connor McDevil

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Rolston View Post
Where are you located? And are you at least a fairly good goalie? I play at ISCA and my team needs a goalie to split part of this season...maybe next season we'll have a full time slot open.
What team are you on ?

I got friends on touch gloves. They were D8 last season D7 this season.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
**** Farise
Fire Deboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
What team are you on ?

I got friends on touch gloves. They were D8 last season D7 this season.
Haha, I'm on Predators, we play them Tuesday. Do you play there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
sorry, i didn't notice this until just now..im a gosh darn good goalie, been playing for almost 15 years..but i havent played in 2-3. wallington is a bit far for me, thanks anyway..i think im just going to join a league in morristown again
No problem, good luck getting back into it. I was out for almost 2.5 years from a knee reconstruction + a car crash...completely lost my slapshot over that time haha.

**** Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:14 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Stopping by Pure on the way home from work to get a totalone and get my skates sharpened. Joe, I noticed one of your workers,not sure if it is you, sit in 229 as season ticket holders.
That's me.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:38 PM
DangleSnipeCelly
Formerly KupsforKovy

Quote:
That's me.
sweet.. say hi tomorow buddy, i wear the 229 jersey with my last name on it with all the autographs. you sit like 5 seats over from me.

On another note, just came home from Pure. Got the TotalONE, Backstrom 77 flex. First thoughts, Stick is probably the lightest I picked up. Blade feels hard and sturdy. Shaft is not to square and not to round. Has the nice grip that bauer has. (If you don't know what I am talking about, they do like a woven pattern with the top layer of composite)

My only grip, which is a stupid personal one, is the color scheme. I am not a fan of black sticks. I like neutral color sticks, like the Mission M-1. I skate with my head up, therefore use my peripherals to keep track of the puck. With a black stick, it makes it harder to pick up the puck. Hence the reason I use white tape.

I will use it tomorrow at open with everyone to see how I like it on the ice.

Old
12-30-2010, 06:15 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I am gonna get a TotalOne for my birthday in March.

I wish it were sooner

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Semak

Quote:
Update: I just got a chain e-mail from another group of guys I play with.

The turnout at Union will be pretty good. Expect a full game, multiple lines type situation. If you HF'ers want to play together, bring two jerseys so we can match up. Learn towards dark I think.

Goalies, show up early or bring stuff to skate out.
I'm in.

Went to Pure earlier today. Great place and great bunch of guys. Met Joe, good man. Haven't been on the ice for ten years, I was a bit of a high maintenance customer, but all the guys were great. Picked up a Backstrom Vapor X-15, a Vector Thornton wood and some Bauer Vapor gloves. I didn't break the bank 'cause I'll probably only play a few times while I'm here but I really like the Backstrom models. Lie is a bit different, I'm used to playing with a Sakic, but once I got in my hand I knew it was the stick for me. I'll definitely invest in a higher end one when I move back to NJ.

Also, after being a bit nervous about pulling out my old Jofa helmet, I was pleasantly surprised when everyone was digging my "retro" bucket helmetThe whole staff got a kick out of it. They put in a new Itech half shield and I'm all set to go. I hope I don't "Clarkson" all over the place

Semak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:43 PM
DangleSnipeCelly
Formerly KupsforKovy

Dear Hockey Stick Manufacturers,

Please stop putting stickers on your blades that are extremely hard and annoying to remove. I just gave you 225 of my dollars, and the last thing I wanna do is fight with the stickers for 2 hours.

Sincerly

Brian

Old
12-30-2010, 06:48 PM
ryangib

i love nice one piece sticks as much as the next guy, but i can not possibly justify to myself spendign 225 on a totalone. the stick feels amazing and all, but not 225 amazing.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote