HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At The Rink "New Jersey Devils Edition" - All Things Related To Playing Hockey

Old
03-03-2011, 04:30 PM
DangleSnipeCelly
Formerly KupsforKovy

vCash: 500
last year, the righties only lasted the VIP ticket holders. I was # 50 to walk in, and me and cowbell had maybe 15 sticks to choose from for the most part. another 150 came in after us and swiped them up.

Thos asking bout Arnott sticks. They had plenty of Bergfors lying around, so I am sure there will be some of Arnott's lying around aswell

DangleSnipeCelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:00 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
I'd like to get one stick for show/memorabelia (hopefully Arnott) and another to use.......I'm assuming you're a righty also, so the more righties this year definately benefits us in terms of more selection
Yeah I'm a righty too, I had a chance at a couple Shanahan sticks last year that a friend bought, but he cut them too short even for me somehow. I'm Gionta sized and he's a couple inches taller, but the sticks just didn't feel right. For the price though maybe I should've learned to like them.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
Yeah I'm a righty too, I had a chance at a couple Shanahan sticks last year that a friend bought, but he cut them too short even for me somehow. I'm Gionta sized and he's a couple inches taller, but the sticks just didn't feel right. For the price though maybe I should've learned to like them.
Shanny used a warrior in his last season or two right? He was one of my favorite players, I'd have liked to got my hands on one of his sticks

Maybe your friend likes to use a smaller stick like Zubrus does? I'm a foward, and I have always liked my stick at my chin which has felt most comfortable for me......other fowards I played with were effective with sticks up by their nose or eyes......has to do with comfort level I guess

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Muttley*

Just sent the woman that lives with us to Florida for 9 days. (now the 4 of us up here can be bad for the next 9 days and do things like eat cookies before dinner, etc. etc.)

Just got back from the airport and missed open at Floyd, as I had my gear in the trunk.

There is gonna be open for 6 or 7 of the next 9 days. Floyd, Ice House, Skylands, Union, Palisades beware...

And a big leased-ice bash for my birfday on the 17th coming up.

Good times coming.....good times...

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:27 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Shanny used a warrior in his last season or two right? He was one of my favorite players, I'd have liked to got my hands on one of his sticks

Maybe your friend likes to use a smaller stick like Zubrus does? I'm a foward, and I have always liked my stick at my chin which has felt most comfortable for me......other fowards I played with were effective with sticks up by their nose or eyes......has to do with comfort level I guess
Yeah it was from Shanny's last year with the team. I'm the same way, I usually have it near my chin. I really should have taken the stick for the hell of it.

Also, anybody ever play open hockey at Woodbridge? I was thinking of going there tonight but the wording makes it sound like a full cage or full shield are required? I don't want to call and speak to some teenager behind the desk who doesn't really know.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:51 PM
DevsFan84

Added the new Warrior Widow to my stick collection today, bringing the grand total to 33. My girlfriend -freaked- when I walked through the door with another stick...women just don't understand

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:04 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
Added the new Warrior Widow to my stick collection today, bringing the grand total to 33. My girlfriend -freaked- when I walked through the door with another stick...women just don't understand
My first - and only, so far (I'm a beginner) stick is a Warrior Mac Daddy. How do you like your new stick, I'm curious. I have nothing to compare with really, but I feel mine is great for control but slightly too soft somehow.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:35 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
My first - and only, so far (I'm a beginner) stick is a Warrior Mac Daddy. How do you like your new stick, I'm curious. I have nothing to compare with really, but I feel mine is great for control but slightly too soft somehow.
I haven't used it on the ice yet...hoping to do that tomorrow. I have to write a review for PH's web site, I'll post it here as well if you're interested. It does look good though, lol.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Hoping to go to Floyd tonight for open.. First time playing since Thanksgiving and 7th time playing ice hockey overall.. What kind of crowd do they get at night? I've only ever joined the old guys early-morning crowd

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Muttley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Hoping to go to Floyd tonight for open.. First time playing since Thanksgiving and 7th time playing ice hockey overall.. What kind of crowd do they get at night? I've only ever joined the old guys early-morning crowd
One of the best places to play. They are one of the few rinks that offers open hockey days and nights on a consistent basis all year long. Almost always assured of a decent turnout of skaters and goalies. Skill level varies on a nightly basis. At $10, it's the best bargain around for open hockey. Just watch out for the trash skating around in NYR sweaters.

Old
03-10-2011, 11:12 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
I haven't used it on the ice yet...hoping to do that tomorrow. I have to write a review for PH's web site, I'll post it here as well if you're interested. It does look good though, lol.
I would appreciate that. And yes, the Warrior sticks has the graphic design of a rock guitar somehow, I love it

My very beginner's feel of the Mac Daddy is that it's incredible for control and for wrist and snapshots (I couldn't believe how fast I could do snapshots) since the kickpoint is real low and the flex is very soft. But the slapshots, man, I look like a little girl. I'm not good at it already, but that stick feels really soft. I'm thinking of buying a Bauer ONE80 (the newer sticks are just too expensive for my level) since it comes at around 100 bucks and seem to be harder. I actually tried a wooden stick and the slapshots were not too bad, much better than with the Warrior

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:59 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
One of the best places to play. They are one of the few rinks that offers open hockey days and nights on a consistent basis all year long. Almost always assured of a decent turnout of skaters and goalies. Skill level varies on a nightly basis. At $10, it's the best bargain around for open hockey. Just watch out for the trash skating around in NYR sweaters.
I went once back in early February and liked it. Good quality boards and ice, just the bench is really low (only complaint). Other than that it's a good rink, only a 25 minute drive from my place. They definitely have a lot of open times when you check the schedule.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:25 AM
DangleSnipeCelly
Formerly KupsforKovy

Floyd is the best, i agree with that.

Twin oaks is best at noon in the summer, that is a skate man. A lot of NJ NHL, AHL, and junior kids go, soooo good.

Floyd open on weekend nights are usually decent numbers, like stated. Usually contain a lot of junior skilled players, as well as local college kids, really fast skate for the most part

DangleSnipeCelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:04 PM
DevsFan84

Finally got a chance to use to Widow last night...

Overall, I love it. I like the stock length which is about 3" longer than a regular stick. I feel like the blade is very similar to a one95 in that it has a softer feel, which I prefer. This stick is probably most suitable for those who take a lot of wristers and snapshots. I'd probably pick a different twig for clappers...the kickpoint is really low on this. Also, the flex seems whippier than advertised, but that works for me as well. I can get a cannon of a shot off with this stick, and I suck. A lot of pros are switching to this stick and I can see why. If it retailed for about $200 it would be perfect.

Old
03-19-2011, 06:23 PM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

Going to Floyd for some open tonight.

Is anyone on a spring team that I could hop on about halfway through May? Preferably Floyd, Ice House, or Ice Vault.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:43 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Is there any open hockey tomorrow in the AM near Morristown?

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Capt Andy Poo
Holik to HHOF

question:

Can a played have a visor of any size if he wants to? If you look at Zubrus or White, they have bigger ones, but could someone without any eye injuries or something like that get one too? or do they have to get the standard one?

Capt Andy Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 06:33 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave407 View Post
question:

Can a played have a visor of any size if he wants to? If you look at Zubrus or White, they have bigger ones, but could someone without any eye injuries or something like that get one too? or do they have to get the standard one?
They give a brief description here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26285

It looks like all equipment is approved by the league, so I would guess if you want to wear a visor you could. In theory you could wear a full face shield if you make a point to the league that you want to protect your pretty face. But if a doctor prescribes it then you could also wear it.

Old
04-19-2011, 07:28 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

So does anyone still play hockey? This thread is nearly dead.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Muttley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
So does anyone still play hockey? This thread is nearly dead.
Yes, I played at Union last Tuesday night and being that I was all pumped up on coffee, Red Bull, NyQuil, antibiotics & meth due to the stomach virus we all had, I was Mike Greening all night annoying all the wanna be badass college boys. My wrister if freakin insane. We even went out to the bar after because Clifton closes at 3am, but I only had club soda. Sophisticates like me only drink French wines from reputable places and that certainly wasn't a reputable place.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:40 PM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

I will definitely be at Floyd Hall either Friday night or Saturday night.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Richer's Ghost
This guy can coach

vCash: 369

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Is that for this year, or is that a past years one because they've been doing that for the past several years? and how did you get a hold of that in Ohio?

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Richer's Ghost
This guy can coach

vCash: 369
Quote:
Is that for this year, or is that a past years one because they've been doing that for the past several years? and how did you get a hold of that in Ohio?
Its for this year - it was in USA Hockey mag

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:19 AM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

that is the rink i work at