HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmontonians are making me sick

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Fincan

vCash: 500
Edmontonians are making me sick

Seriously I find myself getting really angry when I am around town and see all these friggin Calgary Flames Fans. I cant even bring myself to go in to WEM as the Flamer stuff everywhere makes me sick. Me and a friend were there yesterday and we were covering up a bunch of the Calgary stuff with Oiler and TB merchandise or turning the Flames stuff backwards. I guess we are seeing who the True Oiler fans in this city are. I am one, but anybody who is cheering for the flames to win is showing their true colours and they are not copper and blue.

I dont care how much anybody "says" they are an Oiler fan, their actions are speaking otherwise if they are cheering on the Flames. If you wanted the flames to make the playoffs or even win the first round becasue you think it was good for hockeys future in Calgary..........fine. But beyond that you make me sick and I think you are a pathetic excuse of an Edmontonian and Oiler fan. If you grew up in Calgary and live here now, fine cheer for the flamers. If you have no relation to Calgary or you were only born there but grew up here you are just as much of a trader in my eyes. I was walking by this crappy pub the New Wave just a little while ago when Calgary scored and the place went nuts. Do you think they did or would cheer for us? Hell no.

Canadas team my ass. Canadas team will play in September. I also think that knowledgable hockey fans look for more than just "where a team is located" as you follow hockey and begin to like or dislike many teams based on rivalry, history, style of play, management style, players that play on the team, attitude of players on the team etc. This is what type of fan cheers for Calgary.......My mom and dad who know nothing about hockey.

Do people even think about the Oilers. Players that make their homes in Edmonton in the offseason. How much do you think they will want to give back to a city full of fans who are turning their backs on them. They will still for PR purposes but I dont know if there hearts will be in it the same as before. Calgary is back as the team i hate the most, not because of how they are doing but becasue of how all these jerks in Edmonton are cheering them on. :mad:

Last edited by Fincan: 05-29-2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old
05-29-2004, 09:21 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Funny, considering where the teams' respective captains are from.

I think the Oilers players will get over it.

So should you.

Old
05-29-2004, 09:28 PM
windowlicker

I personally do think its pathetic, and if I currently was in Edmonton, it would be unbearable. Not much SCF coverage here in Wisconsin. The media can play up all the "Canada's Team" angles, the Flames fan can wrap themselves up in all the warm, fuzzy feelings that supposedly the whole nation is raining down on them. Whatever, what can you do?

Old
05-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Fincan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Funny, considering where the teams' respective captains are from.

I think the Oilers players will get over it.

So should you.
Never. I guess we know where your heart is.

Old
05-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Lowetide

The rage over this is becoming ridiculous. The Calgary Flames are in the finals, and look like they're about to go up 2-1. Some people think its great, some don't. It doesn't make anyone a pathetic excuse for an Edmontonian or an Oiler fan to be impressed by their run.

I don't have a Flames jersey, nor fly the flag, but continue to be impressed by their work ethic, desire and talent.

My hope is that Kevin Lowe and the Oilers are watching this run and vowing to have their day in the sun.

Meanwhile, my father in law, who has suffered through the worst 12 months o(on a personal level) imaginable, is a Flames fan and this run has brought him true joy and allowed him to forget about his troubles for awhile.

Does my personal joy at seeing him happy make me a pathetic excuse for an Edmontonian and a pathetic Oiler fan?

Be sure to let me know.

Old
05-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Fincan

I honestly do not see it as the same thing to have respect for the team and to be cheering on the Flames. I think the Flames have worked hard and deserve to be there. Now do i wnat them to win, hell no. Ok i came home pissed off and crossed the line saying pathetic excuse for an Edmontonian, but I stick to my guns when it comes to what i said about as an Oiler fan.

Old
05-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincan
I honestly do not see it as the same thing to have respect for the team and to be cheering on the Flames. I think the Flames have worked hard and deserve to be there. Now do i wnat them to win, hell no. Ok i came home pissed off and crossed the line saying pathetic excuse for an Edmontonian, but I stick to my guns when it comes to what i said about as an Oiler fan.
It's not just in Edmonton. It's out here on the west coast as well. I walked by the Bay in downtown Vancouver and they have a section that used to display Canucks jerseys and stuff. It's now full of that crappy Flames stuff. I bet this Flames crap is over the entire country.

Go Lightning Go.

Old
05-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Fincan

Oh i should add. I am able to see why some are cheering for the Flames more so than it would let on in my origianal post. For posters like Behind Enemy Lines I believe it is that have lived in Calgary for a very long time and have over the years began to cheer for them. I can see that side of it. You Lowetide wanting to have some happieness for your Father-in-law is fine too, but in that case I see it as cheering for your father-in-law, not the flames. My view is not as Black and White as I lead on in my original post, but for the average fan who have no real reason to cheer for Calgary it is sad to cheer against our traditional rival and try to pass yourself off as an Oiler fan.

Old
05-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincan
And that's fair, and I don't want to get into a pissing contest. However, imo some of that rage you feel should be channelled towards the Edmonton Oilers. They play by the same rules, and while we were buying into "make do until 2004" the Flames were fighting a desperate fight to get to the top.

ps, I lied. My son has a Flames t-shirt, his father in law gave him. I use it as a rag in my garage.

Old
05-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
And that's fair, and I don't want to get into a pissing contest. However, imo some of that rage you feel should be channelled towards the Edmonton Oilers. They play by the same rules, and while we were buying into "make do until 2004" the Flames were fighting a desperate fight to get to the top.

ps, I lied. My son has a Flames t-shirt, his father in law gave him. I use it as a rag in my garage.
Why was there no talk when the Flames missed the playoffs 7 straight years and Emdonton made it. I guarantee that there would be no talk if it was the Oilers in the Flames position. There's just too much love for the Flames and frankly I'm getting sick of it.

Old
05-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Oi'll say!

I blame the erosion of true fan loyalty on hockey pools myself.

How many times has a diehard Oiler fan picked a guy like Dany Heatley or Ziggy Palffy when Radek Dvorak was still available, or Ales Hemsky? Next thing you know a guy is secretly cheering for the the Thrashers against a third party. What if their kids see this wanton behaviour?

This madness has to stop, and the only way to do it is to outlaw hockey pools and ban all other forms of sports betting. Then, and only then, will all Oiler fans band together to form the wall of hatred necesary to stem the flow of Flamunism.

Better dead than red! :bonk:

Old
05-29-2004, 10:20 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!

LMAO, thats a good one....

Old
05-29-2004, 10:23 PM
windowlicker

From the "small market Canadian franchise bring back Stanley where he belongs" angle, this is great.
From the "unbelievable underdog doing something no one thought possible" angle, this is great.
And for the people of Calgary & Flames fans, I dont think this can be put into words.

But the thing that fills me with dread is...... as an Oiler fan, if they do complete this season on a win, is they will not let us forget this for the next 14 years or so. It will not matter if the Oilers make it to the 2rd round in '06, 3rd round in '08, or the SCF in '09. Or if Hemsky becomes a 80 point player. Or if JDD surprises everyone with his early domination during the 2005/06 season. Or if Niinimaki & Mikhnov exceed their potential & go on to very productive careers. Or if Woywitka turns into a real offensive threat for years to come . Or if Torres turns into a Ryan Smyth Part 2 but Better. Or if Pouliot scores 62 points during the '06 season and leads this team over the highly favored (insert 1st or 2nd seed American Team) with 4 goals & 5 assists in a 1st round 7 game thriller.

Reply by a Flames fan to all the above supposed outcomes: So what, we won the Cup in '04.

None of it will matter if we dont win it all at some point in the not-too-distant future. As an Oiler fan, I dont feel like lowering my eyes anytime the F word is mentioned during a hockey conversation.

And yes, I hope Lowe is watching & feeling the pressure build in his temples to build a Stanley Cup Contender quickly (without knowing what the next CBA holds) because the bar has just been raised THIS HIGH. There's nothing to it, all you need is the right mix of smart hockey decisions, chance & dumb luck.

Old
05-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Bergeron47

go Flames!

Old
05-29-2004, 10:42 PM
OilerLord

Anyone But Calgary!

Go Tampa Bay!

To all the media calling the Flames "Canada's Team"...BITE ME!

BOOOOOO FLAMES!!!! Jinx! :mad:

Old
05-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
But the thing that fills me with dread is...... as an Oiler fan, if they do complete this season on a win, is they will not let us forget this for the next 14 years or so. It will not matter if the Oilers make it to the 2rd round in '06, 3rd round in '08, or the SCF in '09. Or if Hemsky becomes a 80 point player. Or if JDD surprises everyone with his early domination during the 2005/06 season. Or if Niinimaki & Mikhnov exceed their potential & go on to very productive careers. Or if Woywitka turns into a real offensive threat for years to come . Or if Torres turns into a Ryan Smyth Part 2 but Better. Or if Pouliot scores 62 points during the '06 season and leads this team over the highly favored (insert 1st or 2nd seed American Team) with 4 goals & 5 assists in a 1st round 7 game thriller.

Reply by a Flames fan to all the above supposed outcomes: So what, we won the Cup in '04.
Well, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of "one day you'll be able to tell your grand kids about the ONE time the Flames won", so I understand your point of view.

However, unlike the Oil of the 80 (or frankly the Flames of the same era) there is no build to this playoff run. It's a one off trip to the moon, it's THE miracle on ice, it's the hockey equivalent to the one hit wonder.

But the fact is that Kevin Lowe told us the day he took over as GM that the Oilers were going to be competitive until the cba and go from there. Oiler fans have been promised something in the future, and we all thought that was what the Flames had to look forward to as well.

We were wrong. They caught lightning in a bottle, they're Zager and Evans (when I was a kid, Zager and Evans had a hit single called "In the Year 2525" that went to number one. Haven't been seen since, and that was 35 years ago) and anyone who thinks this is the beginning of a dynasty is crazy.

Let them say what they want. God knows I would.

Old
05-29-2004, 11:12 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Go Bolts Go! x 32490561

Old
05-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Seachd

Well, I'm an Oiler fan to the bitter end, and even after that. And I hope to see the Lightning win.

But I could care less if some Oiler fans want the Flames to win. Especially since the BOA has pretty much disappeared. It's understandable. Like Lowetide said, it's impressive.

Come September, everything will be back to normal.

Old
05-30-2004, 12:05 AM
copperaddict

I can't even watch the SCF! Not only does it bug me that the flames are there but the way they play the once great game of hockey is giving me an heartache.Soccer is almost more exciting to watch then the trap.Just look at the brutal TV deal the NHL just signed with NBC.
I know it's not just the Flames and even MacT is leaning that way more each year and it is the reason I won't be renewing my season tickets.I only made it to 3 games last year due to work out of town but I thought I was contributing to keeping the OIL in Edmonton.What MacT has them playing is not the Oiler hockey that Lowe preaches.I would rather watch them play exciting hockey and miss the playoffs on occasion then sit there and watch MacT give Horcoff the minutes that should go to an offensive minded gifted player.The Lightning coach swore during the season that they would not play a boring style.

Go Bolts!!

Old
05-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I blame the erosion of true fan loyalty on hockey pools myself.

How many times has a diehard Oiler fan picked a guy like Dany Heatley or Ziggy Palffy when Radek Dvorak was still available, or Ales Hemsky? Next thing you know a guy is secretly cheering for the the Thrashers against a third party. What if their kids see this wanton behaviour?

This madness has to stop, and the only way to do it is to outlaw hockey pools and ban all other forms of sports betting. Then, and only then, will all Oiler fans band together to form the wall of hatred necesary to stem the flow of Flamunism.

Thank you.

Aren't Edmonton fans supposed to hate Calgary?

Even a CLOSET Oiler fan like me knows

Old
05-30-2004, 12:40 AM
Cujo_31

i'm a HUGE Oiler fan & i've been a really big Oiler fan all my life. I am cheering for Calgary because

a)Iginla's from Edmonton, & is one of my favorite hockey players

b) I want to see a Canadian team win the stanely cup for the first time since the '93 habs

c) I have relatives living in Calgary, and they cheer for Oilers when they make the playoffs

d) this doesn't make any Oiler fans who are cheering for Calgary any less of a true Oiler fan.

if you wanna think that it makes me less of an Oiler fan, so be it, I watch as many Oiler games as I can, and personally i'd rather see a hockey city like Calgary win the cup rather then Tampa Bay who didn't even know what Hockey was until a few years after they got an NHL team.

Old
05-30-2004, 12:50 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

the way i look at it, who the f@#k cares. no doubt i would rather not see the flamers win however your sore loser rhetoric does not wash with me. to be honest the oilers organization should be watching, this is how a well run org can make a run for the stanley cup.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:42 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
the way i look at it, who the f@#k cares. no doubt i would rather not see the flamers win however your sore loser rhetoric does not wash with me. to be honest the oilers organization should be watching, this is how a well run org can make a run for the stanley cup.
Disagree. Nothing can be learned from Calgary but cheapshots when they lose. Their fans are arrogant. The players said they didn't want the Oilers to make the playoffs. Any team that has players wishing another Canadian team miss the playoffs is classless.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:51 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Cinderella's shoe fits just fine. Full marks for this Flames team and the success they have created. Any team which beats the 1, 2, and 3 seeds to advance and then takes on the 1 seed overall has earned their bragging rights.

Dislike ... distaste is one thing. Respect is another. The Flames deserve all of the kudos and national attention they have been receiving. Small market success, first Canadian team to get there in 10 years. They have achieved what the Oilers have not been able to do for 14 years. I suggest the focus of Oiler fans should be what needs to be done for this franchise to succeed rather than begrudging and pissing and moaning about what is happening now in Calgary.

I've got two longtime Oiler fan parents back in Saskatchewan who last night attended a formal event in Flames jerseys. These signed jerseys received as gifts were the butt of jokes and gathered mothball for years. However the Flames miracle season has revived their interest in Canada's game and that's okay. If it was San Jose and Tampa Bay playing there would be considerable less profile and passion exhibited in Canada (heck the U.S. for that matter).

The result should be 'Game On' for Oiler management to step up their work. The Battle of Alberta is back and now it is the Flames looking down upon the Oilers. Think this might prove suitable motivation for the upcoming season?

Old
05-30-2004, 01:53 AM
edmontonoilers89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Disagree. Nothing can be learned from Calgary but cheapshots when they lose. Their fans are arrogant. The players said they didn't want the Oilers to make the playoffs. Any team that has players wishing another Canadian team miss the playoffs is classless.
I'm an Oiler fan but this is just nuts. Claseless this, classless that...everyone is classless aren't they? That's the most overused word in hockey right now. A player elbows someone and he is considered classless.

So the rival Calgary Flames should be wishing for the Oilers to take their place in the playoffs because they are Canadian? Maybe the next time the Oilers have a must win game against another team, those other players should just hand the game to them because it could mean one more Canadian team in the playoffs. That's retarted.

Closed Thread