HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Harry Neale is a tool !

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2004, 03:08 PM
revolverjgw

vCash: 500
I can't fathom why Neale and Cole are so maligned. They may not be as sharp as they once were, but they're nowhere near the tragedy that people make them out to be. People just like to complain, and they magnify any minor slipup, they're on watch for them every game. A topic WILL be started if Bob mispronounces a name, you can bet on that. But an occasional mistake is par the course.

Cole still has my favorite voice in hockey. Very dramatic.

Old
05-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Send a message via MSN to Bloody Sabbath
i personally don't mind their hilarious mistakes and comments from time to time. It always gives me a little laugh to hear that stuff sometimes.

Old
05-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjackson
He makes far more mistakes than he used to even a few years ago. And he's become more and more curmudgeonly with each passing year. I prefer having audio from the radio these days over CBC.
curmudgeon

n : a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas

WordNet 1.6, 1997 Princeton University

:lol

But in all seriousness, he's not that bad, IMO. He generally makes more intelligent and more insightful comments than Millen and Healy, and isn't nearly as stubborn as Millen is.

Old
05-31-2004, 12:00 AM
etlebut

vCash:
kneel

Harry does no research and knows nothing about any team other than Toronto. He gets the players wrong in slo-mo replays, fer gawd's sake. If you're a normal fan, you'll catch numerous factual errors out of Neale's yap every game. Poor old Cole's been a few beats behind the music for several years now. And THIS is HNIC's #1 team.

Old
05-31-2004, 01:52 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Chris Cuthbert is the greatest PBP guy out there right now.

Old
05-31-2004, 08:24 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
Exactly. People just give Cole & Neale that label because they have been around so long. Cuthbert is the best PBP by far IMO.

Old
05-31-2004, 08:30 AM
Nik#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw
I can't fathom why Neale and Cole are so maligned. They may not be as sharp as they once were, but they're nowhere near the tragedy that people make them out to be. People just like to complain, and they magnify any minor slipup, they're on watch for them every game. A topic WILL be started if Bob mispronounces a name, you can bet on that. But an occasional mistake is par the course.

Cole still has my favorite voice in hockey. Very dramatic.
Exactly. Interesting that Chris Zelkovich echos the sentiments from my previous post:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1044442957278

Old
05-31-2004, 03:20 PM
chriss_co

yea chris cuthbert is really good.. its amazing that he is just as good calling CFL games too

i would like to see kelly hrudey as a color commentator.. im starting to really like what he brings to the CBC and besides the hotstove lounge i really look forward to watching his segment during intermissions

Old
05-31-2004, 05:21 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan

Maybe you're a little bored with Jim Hughson bein' in Vancouver, but nobody calls a game like him (and his voice doesn't crack when he calls goals)

I remember Hughson back in his TSN days and I thought that he would eventually replace Bob Cole..... With Bob leavin' after this year's World Cup, I hope CBC pulls Jim away from Sportsnet and gets him a good colour guy (ex-goalies need not apply)

Old
05-31-2004, 10:59 PM
HABitual

I actually came to the boards tonight to complain about Neale, before I even knew about this thread. When I listen to him, which is rarely thankfully, I remember why I loathe him as a colour commentator. He makes obscure references to people who nobody else ever heard of or were alive before anyone else but him. His quotes are ridiculous, whether or not they are actually authentic and what the hell is an Alabame criss-cross? I bet nobody from Alabama would even know!

Old
05-31-2004, 11:02 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
I hope you aren't referring to his Winston Churchill quote today.

Old
05-31-2004, 11:36 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
Neale is an idiot and is just as bad as Clement and Levy... They all should be fired and be doing announcing for ping pong or the strong man contests not Hockey...
i feel its unfair to call him an idiot because you dont like the way he commentates. Indeed they sound like they are commentating a game back in the 70s, but give them a break.

Cuthbert is definitely the man . Has anyone noticed how huge that guy is? he towers over millen. It's a wonder he hasnt kicked his arse after all those ignorant things millen has said.

i want to see a hockey game go uncommentated actually. They werent bad in the playoffs on the french channel a couple years ago. who really needs them anyways?

Old
05-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88
Maybe you're a little bored with Jim Hughson bein' in Vancouver, but nobody calls a game like him (and his voice doesn't crack when he calls goals)

I remember Hughson back in his TSN days and I thought that he would eventually replace Bob Cole..... With Bob leavin' after this year's World Cup, I hope CBC pulls Jim away from Sportsnet and gets him a good colour guy (ex-goalies need not apply)
NOOO i want to keep HUghson. maybe he can do both sportsnet and cbc like some people do.

by the way, COle is leaving? 'bout time.

Old
06-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
yea chris cuthbert is really good.. its amazing that he is just as good calling CFL games too

i would like to see kelly hrudey as a color commentator.. im starting to really like what he brings to the CBC and besides the hotstove lounge i really look forward to watching his segment during intermissions

I too think Cuthbert is the best hockey PBP announcer out there right now and Hrudey is one of the best studio analysts to come along in a while but the thing with Hrudey and his Behind the Mask segment is it is scripted. He would have to give up the safety blanket that is a script and as-lib as a color guy and that is not very easy for some to do.

He may not be comfortable doing that.

Old
06-01-2004, 07:33 PM
HABitual

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan
I hope you aren't referring to his Winston Churchill quote today.
That was part of the inspiration for my post

Old
06-04-2004, 10:42 AM
beerpaul*

Was it just me, or did Harry Neale choke up when he started talking about the banquet he's going to attend for retired NHL trainers?

Old
06-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Gord Miller on TSN is the best play-by-play man. He hardly makes a mistake and is always on top of the play. I do like Pierre, Gord's partner in crime, although he can be a little over the top sometimes.

Old
06-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Capt Tuttle

Neale and Cole are both brutal. They're the worst duo in hockey. They don't know player's names and make mistakes too often to be awarded the Stanley Cup final. Cuthbert, for one, would have been a much better choice and you could throw in any of the colour men and it would have been a better decision.

Old
06-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Tuttle
Neale and Cole are both brutal. They're the worst duo in hockey. They don't know player's names and make mistakes too often to be awarded the Stanley Cup final. Cuthbert, for one, would have been a much better choice and you could throw in any of the colour men and it would have been a better decision.
even.....Greg Millen

Old
06-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerpaul
Was it just me, or did Harry Neale choke up when he started talking about the banquet he's going to attend for retired NHL trainers?
Yes, in fact he did, it was quite odd. His voice was cracking big time.

From watching all the games, it is clear to me that Bob and Harry are against the Flames winning. They are cheering for TB. I find this confusing. They not so secretly cheer for Toronto all year, and do things such as not know the names of star players on other Canadian teams.

I'm just having trouble understanding why, with Toronto thankfully eliminated, why they would not be in favour of the last Canadian team standing? Could it be that they want TO to be the next Cdn team to win?

It would be even better if they just weren;t biased at all.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Slats432

I personally find Cole and Neale hard to watch, but if you ever get a chance on ESPN Classic Canada to listen to him in his prime, Cole was the undisputed best for a long time, and Neale his colour equal.

Personally watching the ABC feed last night made me hope that CBC offers JD a nice sum of cash to take Harry's place. Not sure on who I would have do play by play....as long as it isn't Paul Romaniuk, I don't care. Cuthbert is OK, I don't like Whitman...I just don't think there is any really solid guy in waiting.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Gord Miller on TSN is the best play-by-play man. He hardly makes a mistake and is always on top of the play. I do like Pierre, Gord's partner in crime, although he can be a little over the top sometimes.
I agree. If you can get past Pierre's WWE approach, the duo are really great. I particularly like how McGuire isn't afraid to admit when he makes a mistake.

Old
06-04-2004, 12:06 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

since all of you are so knowledgable about hockey, I find it strange that anyone would care how the annoucers call the game. I'm sure most of you know who the player is that is involved in the play and if Bob or Harry get their name wrong, what difference could it make? I think to the educated fan the annoucers are really nothing more than background noise.

Old
06-04-2004, 12:52 PM
mackdogs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
since all of you are so knowledgable about hockey, I find it strange that anyone would care how the annoucers call the game. I'm sure most of you know who the player is that is involved in the play and if Bob or Harry get their name wrong, what difference could it make? I think to the educated fan the annoucers are really nothing more than background noise.
When they get paid good money to do so, of course we'd care. No one wants to hear the wrong name called out, especially if we're not in front of the TV to verify. These guys are more than commentators, they're also there to provide entertainment as well and most of us can't relate to a 70-year old's version of entertainment.

Since we all know so much about hockey maybe one of us should commentate, or have an audience over and do our own commentating.

That's some strange logic ya got going on there. Should a musician never listen to music then because they know what it should sound like?

Old
06-04-2004, 01:21 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdogs
When they get paid good money to do so, of course we'd care. No one wants to hear the wrong name called out, especially if we're not in front of the TV to verify. These guys are more than commentators, they're also there to provide entertainment as well and most of us can't relate to a 70-year old's version of entertainment.

Since we all know so much about hockey maybe one of us should commentate, or have an audience over and do our own commentating.

That's some strange logic ya got going on there. Should a musician never listen to music then because they know what it should sound like?
If you're not in front of the tv then how do you know the "wrong name got called"?

The hockey should be entertainment enough on it's own, it's not wrestling.

Closed Thread