HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If There Was an Expansion Draft

Old
08-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Lars Eller Superstar*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Here are the rules from 1999, I edited out the years so it makes sense for now:

uote:
Each club must expose for claim at least the following players who meet the experience requirements indicated below:

ONE GOALTENDER: For clubs protecting one goaltender, no experience requirement. For clubs protecting two goaltenders, either 10 NHL games played in the last season or 25 NHL games played over the last two seasons. A goaltender must have played in a minimum of 31 minutes in a game before it would qualify as a game played for these purposes. Games played include regular season and playoff games.

ONE EXPERIENCED DEFENSEMAN: Either 40 NHL games played in the last season or 70 NHL games played over the last two seasons. Games played include regular season and playoff games.

TWO EXPERIENCED FORWARDS: Either 40 NHL games played in the last season or 70 NHL games played over the last two seasons. Games played include regular season and playoff games.

Players who are exempt from the Expansion Draft are: (a) all first and second-year pros; and (b) unsigned draft choices (except unsigned draft choices drafted from European clubs pre current CBA remain unsigned).

The number of players in each category to be selected will be at least three goaltenders, eight defensemen and 13 forwards. Only six may be free agents - restricted or unrestricted - of which there may be no more than one goaltender, three defensemen or three forwards.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/expan99/rules.htm
Price

Markov

Cammalleri
Plekanec

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
I kept Gomez off my list because if someone wants to take his 7.3 million cap hit than great. Good player but freeing up that cap space helps us more than keeping him does. He may have been pivotal in getting Cammy and Gionta but there are better options available for 7.3 million per.
Actually Gomez is pretty much key to our team and system. 7.3 is steep, but I would MUCH rather have Gomez at 7.3 than no Gomez at all. Our top 2 lines if pouliot and AK produce at least 45-50 goals together (which isnt so far fetched), we can compete with any other top 6.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 12:05 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
No but seriously.. Lets say the NHL decides to add the Nordiques and the Jets. A NHL expansion draft would have to occur. Therefore, each team would be allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. If you are the Habs, who do you protect?

That might be interesting..
First and second year pros are exempted. You can only lose 1 goalie OR defenceman.

1-5-9

Carey Price
exempt: Robert Mayer

Andrei Markov
Josh Gorges
Ryan O'Byrne
Alexandre Picard
Matt Carle
exempt: PK Subban
exempt: Yannick Weber
exempt: Brendan Nash

Scott Gomez
Brian Gionta
Mike Cammalleri
Tomas Plekanec
Benoit Pouliot
Dustin Boyd
Maxim Lapierre
Tom Pyatt
Mathieu Darche
exempt: Lars Eller
exempt: Ben Maxwell
exempt: Max Pacioretty
exempt: Ryan White
exempt: Louis Leblanc
exempt: Alexander Avtsin
exempt: Philippe Lefebvre
exempt: Gabriel Dumont
exempt: Ian Schultz
exempt: Andrew Conboy
exempt: Aaron Palushaj
exempt: Hunter Bishop
exempt: Kyle Klubertanz
exempt: Andreas Engqvist
exempt: Dany Massé
exempt: Olivier Fortier

Available:
Alex Auld
Curtis Sanford
Cedrick Desjardins
Marvin Degon
Hal Gill
Roman Hamrlik
Jaroslav Spacek
Alex Henry
Frédérick St. Denis
Travis Moen
Andrei Kostitsyn
JT Wyman
David Desharnais
Ryan Russell
Alexander Perezhogin
Brock Trotter

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 08-16-2010 at 12:12 AM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 12:28 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
Price

Markov

Cammalleri
Plekanec
Those are the guys we NEED to expose, not protect.

I'd expose Spacek, Moen, and Darche.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:18 AM
guest1467

Baseballfan, you would seriously protect Darche over Andrei Kostitsyn? Seriously? And Picard and Carle over Spacek/Hammer/Gill?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:29 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Take Gomez and Spacek/Hamrlik if you want, I'd gladly welcome Kovalchuk with the money saved.

Price

Markov
Gorges
OB
Gill
Spacek/Hamrlik

Cammy
Gio
Pleks
AK
Pouliot
Patches
Boyd
White
Lapierre

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 03:06 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Take Gomez and Spacek/Hamrlik if you want, I'd gladly welcome Kovalchuk with the money saved.
Quebec and Winnipeg would have blank salaries. why wouldn't they just entice Kovalchuk to take the big contract he wants?

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 03:09 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Quebec and Winnipeg would have blank salaries. why wouldn't they just entice Kovalchuk to take the big contract he wants?
Because the hottest free agent wants to move to Quebec or Winnipeg

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:05 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

WEll you dont really need to protect Gionta Hamrlik and Gomez since nobody will take them with the contract they have.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:50 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
WEll you dont really need to protect Gionta Hamrlik and Gomez since nobody will take them with the contract they have.
You don't think an expansion team would take Gionta, Hamrlik or Gomez if the opportunity presented itself? Think about it, teams protect their best assets, if a first line player is available, specifically someone with good two way ability, good experience, and a good attitude is available, teams will jump at that opportunity.

Hamrlik, Gionta and Gomez get snatched up in a second IMO.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 08:48 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Baseballfan, you would seriously protect Darche over Andrei Kostitsyn? Seriously? And Picard and Carle over Spacek/Hammer/Gill?

It's a problem with the rules. We MUST expose two forwards with 70 NHL games in the last two years.

Exposing Darche will NOT qualify. That's why I went for Moen and Kostitsyn. We have no one else, Moore and Metropolit are gone.

Pyatt and Boyd are cheap, so I don't want to risk losing them, and the Top 4 forwards need to be kept.

As for the defence, exposing Carle doesn't help. He doesn't have enough NHL experience. We must expose at least one veteran defenceman, but remember you can only LOSE ONE. Frankly, I don't mind if we lose one of Hamrlik, Spacek or Gill, as we gain cap space. Picard is cheap and doesn't gain space, but even if we protected Gill instead of Picard, I would still leave Hammer and Spacek unprotected and hope one is picked up.

You can't just look at the lists without grasping the effect of the rules regarding what we have to expose.

Also look at cap management. A Hamrlik for instance is on the last year of his contract, so losing him to an expansion draft is not a big problem, and we get money to trade for a good replacement if we want.

Old
08-16-2010, 08:55 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Those are the guys we NEED to expose, not protect.

I'd expose Spacek, Moen, and Darche.
Not enough defencemen exposed, and Darche does not count as an NHL experienced forward exposed.

Old
08-16-2010, 08:56 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post

Price

Markov
Gorges
OB
Gill
Spacek/Hamrlik

Cammy
Gio
Pleks
AK
Pouliot
Patches
Boyd
White
Lapierre
Pacioretty and White are exempt.

Old
08-16-2010, 08:58 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
You don't think an expansion team would take Gionta, Hamrlik or Gomez if the opportunity presented itself? Think about it, teams protect their best assets, if a first line player is available, specifically someone with good two way ability, good experience, and a good attitude is available, teams will jump at that opportunity.

Hamrlik, Gionta and Gomez get snatched up in a second IMO.
I'm afraid you are right on with the latter two, and pray you are right with the first guy.

Old
08-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

It might take a little bit of extra knowledge about the ownership groups in the new cities too, before you make the final call on exposing the big contracts. I'd be very tempted, for example, to expose any of Hamrlik, Spacek, and Gomez, not in the hopes that they would be taken, but in the expectation that nobody would take their contracts and they would help fulfill the exposure criteria whilst still allowing us to protect other players.

Price
Markov, Gorges, O'Byrne, Gill, x
Cammalleri, Gionta, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Pouliot, Pyatt, Boyd, y, y

Would be my basic list. Since we don't really have anybody else to worry about on D, I would probably protect Hamrlik as x and expose Spacek, expecting nobody to take him.

I would probably protect Gomez as a y, even if I thought nobody would take his contract. Just in case. He's a good player for us and deserves the automatic nod, even if there are clever guessing games you could try to play instead. Exposing Lapierre and Moen instead wouldn't worry me, they are replaceable depth palyers, edging towards being overpaid for what they really do. I would gamble on keeping the upside for the guys like Boyd, Pyatt, and Pouliot... maybe they never hit it. But those are exactly the kinds of guys that expansion teams go around stealing.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 03:24 PM
GordonGraham

In the past you could expose big contracts and be safe but now with the cap floor over 40M the new teams will have to pick 1-2 big contracts to reach the floor

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 03:47 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Not enough defencemen exposed, and Darche does not count as an NHL experienced forward exposed.
Those are the guys who I'd expose that meet the requirements. The players I'd protect are listed on page 1, though when I posted it I didnt know about the first and second year players not being exposed thing.

Old
08-16-2010, 04:40 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Those are the guys who I'd expose that meet the requirements. The players I'd protect are listed on page 1, though when I posted it I didnt know about the first and second year players not being exposed thing.
Again, Darche does not count as an experienced forward exposed. You need another one on top of Moen.

Old
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Again, Darche does not count as an experienced forward exposed. You need another one on top of Moen.
Ah, thought it said 70 games total. In that case I'd expose Boyd, though if this is next year, and Eller has a great rookie season, I'd think about exposing Gomez...

Old
08-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
It's a problem with the rules. We MUST expose two forwards with 70 NHL games in the last two years.

Exposing Darche will NOT qualify. That's why I went for Moen and Kostitsyn. We have no one else, Moore and Metropolit are gone.

Pyatt and Boyd are cheap, so I don't want to risk losing them, and the Top 4 forwards need to be kept.

As for the defence, exposing Carle doesn't help. He doesn't have enough NHL experience. We must expose at least one veteran defenceman, but remember you can only LOSE ONE. Frankly, I don't mind if we lose one of Hamrlik, Spacek or Gill, as we gain cap space. Picard is cheap and doesn't gain space, but even if we protected Gill instead of Picard, I would still leave Hammer and Spacek unprotected and hope one is picked up.

You can't just look at the lists without grasping the effect of the rules regarding what we have to expose.

Also look at cap management. A Hamrlik for instance is on the last year of his contract, so losing him to an expansion draft is not a big problem, and we get money to trade for a good replacement if we want.
I think Darche would be eligible. The blurb from USA today says that a team must expose two forwards with either at least 40 games last season or 70 games over the last two seasons. Playoff games count. Darche played exactly 40 games last year, including playoffs.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:29 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
I LOVE your title!

It's great! It throws the line out, hooks us and brings us in.

Great job!

As to the topic itself, I'm not getting my hopes up. I don't believe that Bettman is anti-Canadian, it's just that he's trying to bring the sport beyond its regional base.

In my mind, it'll either not work or it will eventually but it'll take a really long time to get there. There'll be more & more modifications to the league (new sites, etc. - maybe including the two cities mentioned) but I do believe that his 'project' has a very small likelihood of succeeding.
What are you talking about?

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He would but meh, I can do without him. Only issue I have is we'd lose what we gave for him for free.
This team could not replace Gomez there is no one even close to being suitable to play the 1a/1b center position on the roster as it stands, a trade for another player im sure could be arranged but it would be complicated.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
This team could not replace Gomez there is no one even close to being suitable to play the 1a/1b center position on the roster as it stands, a trade for another player im sure could be arranged but it would be complicated.
We could probably get Horcoff cheap enough.

There are always players that we can get to fill in for a year like Robert Nilsson, Jagr or Zhamnov until guys like Eller or Pouliot are ready to become our # 2 center.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Pacioretty and White are exempt.
They're both third year pros...

Old
08-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Kovalchuk - Eller - Gio >> Pouliot - Gomez - Gio

Even if it were another year, there will always be someone better than Gomez that you can get on the market for a cheaper price. For example, next year with Hamrlik leaving as well, we could hypothetically sign two of: Chara, B. Richards, Gagne, Backes, Semin, Bergeron, Kaberle, Phillips and drastically improve our team.

Last edited by Playmaker09: 08-16-2010 at 09:01 PM.