HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My 1st round mock draft(long)

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2004, 04:30 AM
Jamie

vCash: 500
My 1st round mock draft(long)

Jamie’s 2004 Mock draft
(picks based on T-Bay winning Cup)
Alright, figured I'd take my chances at a mock draft here, just for fun. I put a fair bit of work into this so please try not to shoot me down TOO much ok? Thanks I made a little comment after every player on why I think they go where. This one isn't to much off the board, but I do plan on doing one for the 2nd round too, so I'd probably have a few more surprises there. Of course, you may end up thinking I used a lot of surprises, guess it's how you look at it. Anyways... I've babbled, and remember, be nice

#1 Washington - LW Alexander Ovechkin.
Russia, 6’2, 212 pounds.
Is there any doubt? This guy has franchise player written all over him. Seems like a gimme for Washington. I’d be shocked if he didn’t end up there, unless they got a Lindros type, or even more, overpay.

#2 Pittsburgh - C Evgeni Malkin.
Russia, 6’3, 186 pounds.
The next best thing. Could be a franchise player as well, but I don’t see him falling anymore than being a good 1st liner. And Pittsburgh wants and needs a guy like Malkin to help bring in fans. Besides, they definetly do not need a goalie or a defensman.

#3 Chicago Blackhawks - LW Andrew Ladd.
Canada, 6’2, 200 pounds.
Chicago is pretty set on defense, and the center position doesn’t look of concern either, as far as youth goes. They may need some now, but you don’t draft for what you need right now IMO. Ladd to me is the next BPA as well. I think the Hawks would like to add his shot to make a pretty darn good future line with Ruutu.

#4 Columbus Blue Jackets - D Cam Barker
Canada, 6’3 214 pounds.
Columbus will be happy that Barker is still there for their pick. He’ll most likely be a top pairing guy in the future, and Columbus is going to need to bank on that. Overall at the moment, I think Columbus is one of the weakest organizations as a whole, and Barker is a guy who could help them big time at the pro level. He looks to me to be a #4 at worst as well because of his size and strength. I think this is the ideal pick for them

#5 Phoenix Coyotes - C Rostislav Olesz
Czech Republic, 6’1, 202 pounds.
Seems like a guy, when ready, can play top 2 lines, and work with just about any type of linemates. He can sit in front of the net, he can create chances, and he has a good shot if needed as well. He’s a well rounded player, and I think he’s a safe pick, although I doubt he’ll ever be a top 10 player in the league.

#6 New York Rangers - RW Lauri Tukonen
Finland, 6’2, 198 pounds.
Looks to me like a Sather pick. I was split here between Tukonen and Schremp, but when I thought about it a bit more, Schremp doesn’t seem like a Sather pick. Tukonen is a well rounded forward, something I fell the Rangers need. Personally I’m not a fan of Tukonen, but I certainly see his high rankings resulting in being a high pick. We’ve seen Sather do it before and I think he will again.

#7 Florida Panthers - C Robbie Schremp
USA, 5’11, 197 pounds.
In a draft this week, I can’t see Schremp falling to far. Some team is bound to go for his great skills, and Florida with a great defense for the future as well as Luongo, will almost guaranteed to be looking at a forward. They have some guy’s already with size so that’s not a concern. With an opportunity to draft someone that could be their top player in 6 years or so, I think Florida gambles on him.

#8 Carolina Hurricanes - G Marek Schwarz
Czech Rebuplic, 6’0, 180 pounds.
They have Ward, but not much else. Similar to our situation after JDD. Schwarz has franchise potential, and where they’re drafting, there’s not much else to bother with. He is the BPA at this point without a doubt in my mind. I could possibly see a trade with the Kings if LA was totally sold on Schwarz over Montoya, but I doubt they overly have to much preferance as both are good goalies. Weekes could be dealt in the somewhat near future to save money. It could all be down to just Ward if they don’t pick up another soon.

#9 Anaheim Mighty Ducks - D Ladislav Smid
Czech Republic, 6’3, 202 pounds.
The Ducks are thin as far as D prospects go, and this seems to me like an excellent pick for the Ducks. He’s fairly big as well, and seems to me like the Ducks get pushed around to much. Smid should be able to be a top pairing guy for the Ducks in the future.

#10 Atlanta Thrashers - RW Drew Stafford
USA, 6’2, 202 pounds.
Atlanta has good skill up front, the top goalie prospect in the league, a good D prospect in Coburn, so, a to me, Stafford is the perfect fit for them. He’s the type of player that helps win championships. He is the perfect compliment to their talented forwards, and does have an offensive side to him as well. He reminds me a lot of Smyth to be honest.

#11 LA Kings - G Al Montoya
USA, 6’1, 190 pounds.
Montoya in many (including mine) people’s opinions, is the 2nd best goalie in the draft, but has potential franchise goalie written on him as well. Of course, goalies are a lot tougher to predict than other positions, and (I could be wrong here, please correct me if I am) they haven’t gone after a goalie since Storr flopped on them. They desperately need help in goal for the future, and Montoya could be a very marketable player as well if he succeeds for them, which is always a plus for any team.

#12 Minnesota Wild - LW Alexandre Picard
Canada, 6’2, 190 pounds.
Solid pick for the Wild. Not as flashy as some prospects, but can score and has a good work ethic which bodes well for Minnesota. He’s a guy I like, and I doubt he’ll ever get the recognition in the NHL that he’ll deserve, but I think Minnesota is just fine with that.

#13 Buffalo Sabres - D AJ Thelon
Russia, 6’1, 198 pounds.
Great pick for the Sabres who are going to be looking pretty thin on D in a couple years with no other prospects coming up. They do have a couple good young guys already on the team, but they will without a doubt need more. Thelon at this point is a steal as well as gives Buffalo exactly what they need.

#14 Washington Capitols - C Boris Valabik
Slovakia, 6’7, 212 pounds
My 1st mock trade, as I don’t like to make them in mock drafts as their to hard to call, but this one was mentioned in another thread so I felt I could use it here. With no one on the board of major interest, the Oilers trade down and grab Washington’s bottom two 1st rounders at 27 and 29. Valabik is a good pick up for them. We don’t need another defensive defensman, and IMO, he is by far the BPA still. He’s huge, and if the Chara comparison’s are anywhere near true, Washington get’s a steal.

#15 Nashville Predators - RW Alexander Radulov
Russia, 6’1, 178 pounds.
Well Nashville will be happy we passed him over. He’s got excellent offensive potential and could certainly be a scorer in the league, something that Nashville seems to be missing. Guy’s like Hartnell and Legwand are great, and will help you win, but a goal scorer is always a nice weapon. They probably don’t like the transfer fee thing either which is why I have the Oil passing on him, but I don’t see much else that would be of interest to them either at this point and they stay put and roll the dice on him.

#16 NY Islanders - D Andrej Meszaros
Slovakia, 6’0, 200 pounds.
Isles will look to defense first if they can, and with Meszaros falling this far, I think he’s their man. Not a personal favourite, and think he’ll be a flop IMO, but there seems to be a lot of hype around him and I can see the Isles taking him hoping for a good future two way defensman much like the guy’s they have now.

#17 St. Louis Blues - LW Wojtek Wolski
Poland, 6’3, 200 pounds.
Blues will be looking for wingers, and with decent size, and some pretty good offensive potential, Wolski makes a safe pick for St. Louis. He’ll never be a star like some guys, but should be able to be a decent 2nd liner for them in the future.

#18 Montreal Canadians - C Kyle Chipchura
Canada, 6’2, 197 pounds.
This seems like a perfect match to me. Chipchura reminds me of Stoll, and the Canadians could definetly use a guy like that.

#19 Calgary Flames - C Dave Bolland
Canada, 5’11, 171 pounds.
Well they may not pick here, but if they do, they’d be wise to pick up Bolland. He’s not that big, but he plays big, which smaller players have to do to succeed in the NHL. I can see him as being a defensivly responsible guy that can play top 6 minutes seeing PP and PK time. Probably could 30 goals a couple times over his career as well.

#20 Dallas Stars - RW Enver Lisin
Russia, 6’2, 190 pounds.
Dallas is a solid organization when it comes to youth IMO, and are a team that can take a risk with Lisin. Sure there’s a lot of worries, but he has so much skill that it would be hard to pass up at this point in the draft. Like they say, you can learn how to play defense, but you can’t learn how to be that quick.

#21 Colorado Avalanche - C Jakub Sindel
Czech Republic, 6‘0, 172 pounds.
Right now the Av’s are set at center with Forsberg and Sakic, but with Forsberg potentially going to Swedan and Sakic not getting any younger, plus the chance of him leaving UFA in a couple years, the future on the top two lines at center are questionable at best. Sindel has the potential to be a star player, but is more of a risk than some players because of his size to be a bust. He’s not physical at all, but is a smart player, so he does a decent job of avoiding contact without hurting the team to much.

#22 New Jersey Devils - C Petteri Nokelainen
Finland, 6’1, 190 pounds.
Seems like A Devils pick to me. Good offensive upside, but prefers the defensive side of the game. Reminds me of current Devil Jeff Friesen. Worst case scenario though, I think you still have a good 4th liner here. Good pick at this point in the draft.

#23 Ottawa Senators - C Bruce Graham
Canada, 6’6, 220 pounds.
Graham is probably BPA at this point, which is one thing the Sens can afford to do, regardless if they fit their need or not, however, Graham fit’s a need as well IMO. The Sens are a soft team, and need some more big physical bodies in their lineup.

#24 NY Rangers - D Wes O’Neill
Canada, 6’4, 200 pounds.
Another guy I’m not sold on personally, but I think the Rangers would be willing to roll the dice on him. He’s big, which is something that’ll keep the Rags interested if he was to still be there for them here. I have a feeling he’ll be a bust however.
#25 Edmonton Oilers - RW Lukus Kaspar
Czech Republic, 6‘2, 202 pounds.
Not many players in the draft have the type of potential Kaspar has. The problem here, is he’s a boom or bust pick. Chances are he’ll either be a top 6 guy, or a career minor leaguer. The way the Oilers have treated their prospects, making them earn their time before getting their chance (Hemsky exception), and I think this would be the perfect way to teach Kaspar to keep his intensity up. I think if a team drafts him, and rushes them into NHL 3nd line playing time in the next couple years at least, that he’d think he can get by on talent alone, while if he’s made to earn it, and work his ass off for it, he’ll have a lot more respect for where he should be, and be better off for it. Reminds me slightly of Smirnov, who the verdict is still out on IMO.

#26 Vancouver - LW Roman Volashenko
Belarus, 6’1, 189 pounds.
Good pick up by the Nuck’s. Call this one a hunch, but I think he could be one of the better players from this draft if he goes to Vancouver. Could be that secondary offense people keep saying they need (although I think the Sedin’s are badly underrated around these boards). If Naslund does leave, he’d be a good choice to take over his spot there.

#27 Edmonton Oilers - RW Blake Wheeler
Canada, 6’5, 200 pounds.
He’s got size, he’s quick, and he can score. Of course, the scoring came against high schooler’s, but considering how many he had, I don’t think it’s fluke. Some guy’s can score and other’s can’t. And for the most part, it is a transferable talent. 45 goals, 55 assists, for 100 points, in only 35 games is amazing no matter how you look at it. And I think his bottom end is a 4th line in the NHL too, because of his size. I sincerely hope the Oilers end up with Wheeler, and I don’t think I’m pushing him up to far at all. In fact, I think he’s a steal at 27. I just hope the high school thing doesn’t scare away the Oilers, because I do know it will scare a lot of teams. If he’s drafted by the Oilers, I see a guy ending up on the 1st line, and being a guy that makes his line-mates better than they seem, rather than the opposite.

#28 San Jose - C Travis Zajac
Canada, 6’2, 205 pounds.
Another guy that put up good numbers, although in a lesser league. Living in BC, I can say a lot of the guy’s aren’t the best skaters, but a lot make up for it by playing tough, and often dirty, so it’s not a soft league by any means, and there's been some good players come from here. Along with his skill, unlike some of the other potential scorers in the draft, he also plays pretty intense. He’s not lazy and he is pretty smart too. I think he’ll end up a solid 2nd liner in the future that plays somewhat like Sturm.

#29 Edmonton Oilers - G Devan Dubnyk
Canada, 6’6, 194 pounds.
With no team removing one of the Oilers options for goalie, the Oil wait till their final 1st and take the monster Alberta kid. If he turns out, could be a potential market player. JDD is nice, and although Markannen and Conklin haven’t been around long, they’re not young either. Goalies take longest (in general) to develop so there’s no harm in adding just one more. By the time he’s ready for the AHL, hopefully JDD has made his move to the NHL, and then he can take his time down there.

#30 Tampa Bay - G Cory Schneider
USA, 6’2, 195 pounds.
Tampa Bay sees the goalies go, and tries to pick up their top choice remaining. Good numbers, and good tournament play are usually good indicators on a goalies talent, but with the numbers being in high school, it’s an easy place for a goalie to stand out. Just stating his shortcomings, seems like just as good a prospect as the other 4 goalies to me, but as far as goalies go, they usually go in order it seems of how they were projected.

Last edited by Jamie: 05-30-2004 at 04:59 AM.
Old
05-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Lowetide

One of the most interesting mock drafts I've seen this year. I don't like the idea of trading out of this year's top 15, but the haul from the first round for Edmonton (Kaspar, Wheeler, Dubnyk) is impressive. I might have gone for one safe pick among the two forwards, but the Oilers have a history of shooting for the moon.

Good job, look forward to the second round.

Old
05-30-2004, 10:43 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I might have gone for one safe pick among the two forwards, but the Oilers have a history of shooting for the moon.
They might as well, since with the exception of a handful of players, every draft is a crap shoot anyway. Good scouting only helps so much (although anything's better than Barry Fraser's regime... )

Old
05-30-2004, 10:52 AM
speeds

interesting first round.

there are personal suprises to me, based on how I'd rank the players, but I like wht you've done.

I do think Korpikoski will make the first round, and I don't think EDM would pass on him 3 times either, really seems like an "Oiler" whatever that might mean.

Old
05-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I'm not brave/crazy enough toput out my own mock so I'd never criticize someone too harshly for doing it themselves. Just want to throw a name in as late first round possibility.

Adam Pineault - struggled in college this year but turned 18 like 5 days ago. He could have stayed in High school for another year but busted his ass to get done so he could go to college. Played at Boston College, a team loaded with seniors and juniors so there wasn't much chance for him to play. Lately, this has become one of my favourite players in the draft. He's gritty and can score.

Everyone seems to like Blake Wheeler and there's no reason not to but here's one comparison I was given that might shake some of you up a bit. I was told that he has a ton of unproven potential, sort of like... Joe Hulbig. Still want him?

Old
05-30-2004, 12:59 PM
copperaddict

What about Mike Green if they end up with 3 in the first? The more I look in THN draft issue and see the guys rated 20-40 the more I like the idea of trading down.If there is a chance for a guy that may score 30 goals in the NHL in the next 2 years I probably would stick at 14.Green looks like he may be that missing link on the D for the Oil when their next dynasty starts in 2 years

Old
05-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Oi'll say!

AIEEEEEEeeee, I can't look at that list of players that we passed between #14 and #25.

I want to get Wheeler, but I wouldn't take a pass on Bolland, Chipchura, or Graham to get Dubynyk and yet another rw'er out of the first round. I still can't believe we skipped Getzlaf to get to Pouliot. (I don't care about Parise at all, call me crazy )

Old
05-30-2004, 02:53 PM
oh_canuck

#1 Washington - LW Alexander Ovechkin.
Russia, 6’2, 212 pounds.
Is there any doubt? This guy has franchise player written all over him. Seems like a gimme for Washington. I’d be shocked if he didn’t end up there, unless they got a Lindros type, or even more, overpay.

I could see this pick being traded down to NYR because of transfer fees

#2 Pittsburgh - C Evgeni Malkin.
Russia, 6’3, 186 pounds.
The next best thing. Could be a franchise player as well, but I don’t see him falling anymore than being a good 1st liner. And Pittsburgh wants and needs a guy like Malkin to help bring in fans. Besides, they definetly do not need a goalie or a defensman.

See Above

#6 New York Rangers - RW Lauri Tukonen
Finland, 6’2, 198 pounds.
Looks to me like a Sather pick. I was split here between Tukonen and Schremp, but when I thought about it a bit more, Schremp doesn’t seem like a Sather pick. Tukonen is a well rounded forward, something I fell the Rangers need. Personally I’m not a fan of Tukonen, but I certainly see his high rankings resulting in being a high pick. We’ve seen Sather do it before and I think he will again.

See Above

#8 Carolina Hurricanes - G Marek Schwarz
Czech Rebuplic, 6’0, 180 pounds.
They have Ward, but not much else. Similar to our situation after JDD. Schwarz has franchise potential, and where they’re drafting, there’s not much else to bother with. He is the BPA at this point without a doubt in my mind. I could possibly see a trade with the Kings if LA was totally sold on Schwarz over Montoya, but I doubt they overly have to much preferance as both are good goalies. Weekes could be dealt in the somewhat near future to save money. It could all be down to just Ward if they don’t pick up another soon.

Carolina also has Kevin Nastiuk the WHL playoff MVP, as a prospect so goaltending depth is not an issue here...

Old
05-30-2004, 03:20 PM
YKOil

Not a bad job. Some interesting names.

I like Green in there instead of Kaspar and I like Schneider over Dubnyk. But that's just me. Good work.

YKOil

Old
05-30-2004, 04:53 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
I am confused

Oilers have two first rounders already from philly and theirs--Oilers trade 14th for two low real low 20 picks--and still only get three draft picks. No sane team would trade a 14th for two very late 20's

Old
05-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
I am confused

Oilers have two first rounders already from philly and theirs--Oilers trade 14th for two low real low 20 picks--and still only get three draft picks. No sane team would trade a 14th for two very late 20's
In this specific season, I agree. The paper today says the Oilers see a drop after 25, so its really unlikely.

However, in a season like 2002 it might make sense. From the 2002 draft, picks at 31, 36 and 44 all look better than the kid they took at 15.

Old
05-30-2004, 05:01 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
as long as JDD gets signed--and it is looking bleak right now

BTW

For those who bash the Doug Weight deal--Lowe trade Hecht for Stohl and JDD(the two 2nd round draft picks they got)

Old
05-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Dangerdanger

I too wouldn't touch a deal for two late firsts for our 14. Way too much of a drop off. Just my opinion though.

Old
05-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
I'm not brave/crazy enough toput out my own mock so I'd never criticize someone too harshly for doing it themselves. Just want to throw a name in as late first round possibility.

Adam Pineault - struggled in college this year but turned 18 like 5 days ago. He could have stayed in High school for another year but busted his ass to get done so he could go to college. Played at Boston College, a team loaded with seniors and juniors so there wasn't much chance for him to play. Lately, this has become one of my favourite players in the draft. He's gritty and can score.

Everyone seems to like Blake Wheeler and there's no reason not to but here's one comparison I was given that might shake some of you up a bit. I was told that he has a ton of unproven potential, sort of like... Joe Hulbig. Still want him?
ANOTHER Joe Hulbig?

Guy, you make that sound like a good thing. Joe Hulbig was talked up about his potential and never amounted into anything. Looking at Pineault's number prior to Boston College, they don't look overwhelming and are against his peer age group.
I don't know if there is much upside there.

I say let Pineault be someone else's project. There are better risks to make in the draft if the Oilers want to gamble. Sounds like someone (McCarthy?) has been selling you...

Besides, we have already invested highly in the potential of two power forward type players in last year's draft in McDonald and Jacques. Throw in Stortini for that matter who has shown the most development.

Last edited by Behind Enemy Lines: 05-30-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old
05-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
ANOTHER Joe Hulbig?

Guy, you make that sound like a good thing. Joe Hulbig was talked up about his potential and never amounted into anything. Looking at Pineault's number prior to Boston College, they don't look overwhelming and are against his peer age group.

I say let Pineault be someone else's project. There are better risks to make in the draft if the Oilers want to gamble. Sounds like someone (McCarthy?) has been selling you...

Besides, we have already invested highly in the potential of two power forward type players in last year's draft in McDonald and Jacques. Throw in Stortini for that matter who has shown the most development.
Actually I was given the Hulbig comparison to show the downside to Wheeler.

McCarthy was one of the people I spoke with about Pineault but far from the only one. I did some work for ISS recently and they sent me some scouting reports on certain guys (Pineault being one) and just from them I had four different scout's commments.

There aren't a lot of offensive guys in the draft, that's something you and I agree should be a priority for Edmonton, and getting into round 2 Pineault looks like one of the guys closer to becoming that. He's really youung so he's got time and he should do really well in Moncton next year. Might be worth the gamble.

Old
05-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
interesting first round.

there are personal suprises to me, based on how I'd rank the players, but I like wht you've done.

I do think Korpikoski will make the first round, and I don't think EDM would pass on him 3 times either, really seems like an "Oiler" whatever that might mean.
I actually thought long and hard about Korpikoski in all 3 Oilers spots but just barely loosing out to both forwards, then there's still a damn good goalie right there for us and we have 2 new potential high end forwards, so... he ended up just barely missing out. I considered him for the Sharks pick too, so I guess I'm having him as a guy that just seems to slip a bit because team's still got guy's they like better on their lists.

I think I'm totally on my own for this one, but I think after the top 5, every teams lists will be farely differant. I would not be surprised one bit if a guy like Picard was #30 on one team's list, and top 10 on another. Or Wheeler as another example, a couple teams may have him around 20 on their lists, and others have him as a 3rd rounder.

Old
05-30-2004, 07:51 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
I think after the top 5, every teams lists will be farely differant. I would not be surprised one bit if a guy like Picard was #30 on one team's list, and top 10 on another. Or Wheeler as another example, a couple teams may have him around 20 on their lists, and others have him as a 3rd rounder.
That's what makes it fun. A guy like Niinimaki may well have been available at #31, but the Oilers took him at #15. There were several stories afterwards about some other team hoping he feel to the end of the first round, but he was a huge reach.

Still, if he's the guy you want, then go for it. Somewhere in the CSB lists is a Brent Burns or Jesse Niinimaki, and from what I've read Wheeler could be that guy.

Old
05-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Actually I was given the Hulbig comparison to show the downside to Wheeler.

McCarthy was one of the people I spoke with about Pineault but far from the only one. I did some work for ISS recently and they sent me some scouting reports on certain guys (Pineault being one) and just from them I had four different scout's commments.

There aren't a lot of offensive guys in the draft, that's something you and I agree should be a priority for Edmonton, and getting into round 2 Pineault looks like one of the guys closer to becoming that. He's really youung so he's got time and he should do really well in Moncton next year. Might be worth the gamble.
Oops! Sorry Guy, perhaps I should go to Mikhnov's new eye doctor. I saw Hulbig's name and just blanched! Mea Culpa. Did Pineault leave B.C. for Moncton??

Korpikoski is another guy whose name keeps popping up. I think he would be worth a look given his rise in international play. And if we want to draft on potential and time to develop, I would take a long look at Travis Zajac. Very good size, great numbers in a secondary league, and going to U.N.D., a strong school where he can develop for two-three years. And of course, I would like to see a gamble on Alexander Raduluov who appears to have the dash and flash this team needs.

Offense. Power play d-man. Goaltender.

Old
05-30-2004, 08:42 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
That's what makes it fun. A guy like Niinimaki may well have been available at #31, but the Oilers took him at #15. There were several stories afterwards about some other team hoping he feel to the end of the first round, but he was a huge reach.

Still, if he's the guy you want, then go for it. Somewhere in the CSB lists is a Brent Burns or Jesse Niinimaki, and from what I've read Wheeler could be that guy.
Unless the Oilers had their eye on Stoll all along with that pick. They wanted both Niinimaki and Stoll but didn't think they could get Niinimaki after picking Stoll, so they grabbed him earlier.

Old
05-30-2004, 11:57 PM
Oiler_Gold

I dont know where people get this idea that we are going to trade down in picks. You would have to be insane to trade that 14th pick! We could have a soild number 1 center out of the draft. Plus we also have the philly picks as well. There are some nice quality centers in the draft and with time and groming we can be the oilers of old. We are not that far away from it.

Old
05-31-2004, 01:33 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler_Gold
I dont know where people get this idea that we are going to trade down in picks. You would have to be insane to trade that 14th pick! We could have a soild number 1 center out of the draft. Plus we also have the philly picks as well. There are some nice quality centers in the draft and with time and groming we can be the oilers of old. We are not that far away from it.
Welcome aboard Oiler_Gold, that's such a cool nic.

The idea of the Oilers trading down in the draft isn't that outlandish, we've traded down lots of times and I don't think we've ever traded up. I agree that the 14th spot is worth keeping this time around though, especially considering who's projected to be available at that time.

Old
05-31-2004, 01:53 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Did Pineault leave B.C. for Moncton??.
YES. I spoke with Adam on the phone last weekend and he told me he's already left college behind.

Quote:
And if we want to draft on potential and time to develop, I would take a long look at Travis Zajac. Very good size, great numbers in a secondary league, and going to U.N.D., a strong school where he can develop for two-three years.
Okay, just stop it. If we keep agreeing like this it's going to blow our history of disagreeing all to hell. Your reasons for Zajac, and I've been convinced to like him, are actually the same reasons I think Pineault is enticing... lots of time for him to develop.

Old
05-31-2004, 02:21 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
YES. I spoke with Adam on the phone last weekend and he told me he's already left college behind.

Okay, just stop it. If we keep agreeing like this it's going to blow our history of disagreeing all to hell. Your reasons for Zajac, and I've been convinced to like him, are actually the same reasons I think Pineault is enticing... lots of time for him to develop.
Thanks Guy. After posting, I googled and found an article confirming Pineault left school. Pineault will get playing time in the Q but ironically now sacrifices some of his development time. I'd still go Zajac.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:15 PM
penkil2

Quote:
ANOTHER Joe Hulbig?

Pineault was the only underager playing on the USA NTDP in Ann Arbor.

Old
06-01-2004, 12:29 AM
Asiaoil

Yeah as you know I have been promoting this very same idea for a while now. I don't like the top end of this draft AT ALL - and I think the 2nd round talent starts around our pick at #14. So why not up the odds of getting a player with 3 first rounders? I would wait to see who is available though - becuase if Thelen was available I would pick him instead of trading down.

Closed Thread