HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kapanen thinking retirement?!?

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2004, 12:33 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

vCash: 500
there are so many veriables right now, who knows you may be right, i may be right
we may have a season next year, we may not, Malakhov may retire, and yet he might not, is Timmander going to play overseas, will Leclair and Amonte be shown the way out, will Recchi hang them up, ditto for Roenick
alot can change in th next two years

Old
06-04-2004, 12:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
there are so many veriables right now, who knows you may be right, i may be right
we may have a season next year, we may not, Malakhov may retire, and yet he might not, is Timmander going to play overseas, will Leclair and Amonte be shown the way out, will Recchi hang them up, ditto for Roenick
alot can change in th next two years
I agree. It is all a guessing game.

Old
06-04-2004, 12:51 AM
blah

Didn't Snider already say the team won't be blown up? Chances are more likely that Roenick, Kapanen, Malakhov, Zhamnov, Recchi, and Primeau will all be back than even one of them won't.

Old
06-04-2004, 12:58 AM
goodrev

leclair and amonte are on their way out if it is possible, malakhov said he might resign with the flyers because playing with them has made hockey fun for him again and he was miserable with the rangers... (i got an inside scource, a friend of mine is his sons hockey coach) timander is gone... i think recchi and roenick will be back without a doubt

i agree with you blah and if primeau is not given a scoring role, i want to see gagne on a scoring line because he CAN produce, people here seem to forget he has been in a defencive role for a while now... but when put with offensively productive players and put in a scoring role he produced last year (11 goals 15 games that he played with zhamnov) so i am all for him being in a offensive role because i am sure he wont be sloppy defensively, something that isnt touted enough is that he is fantastic off the puck, carter is probably not ready to be a 2nd line center but who knows, i am sure they will see in training camp if he is i just hope that they dont do what they did to poor pavel brendl, i know he was a lazy sack of nuts but when he was paired with recchi and roenick in the pre-season right after the lindross trade he led the league in goals and was like 2nd in assists during that pre-season... when the season started they dropped him to a 3rd line checking role and then wondered why he didnt score, that is what i talk about when i say they dont give youth a shot. i like handzus a lot and he is a hell of a player, another great 2 way player who is timely with his goals and is pretty clutch, i believe he led the team in game winning goals for the 2nd year straight... unfortunately we wont know what is going to happen until around september, we wont even know if there is going to be a next year until september... it just pisses me off because i know the players assosiation isnt really negotiating now because they really dont have any leverage until its the last minute and they have the threat of lockout, and i know that they wont agree to anything until the last minute just because of that... pisses me off

Old
06-04-2004, 01:18 AM
Dave Carlson

Who do you replace Gagne's spot on the checking line though? He is deadly there, but I agree can't stay on it. We had Willaims who was comprable to Gagne in that role, but who does it now? Sharp maybe?
I don't think Brashear as consistently on the checking line is a good idea. While he is intimidating and a combination of him and Prims is scary, if teams compensate for Brashear his checking is pretty much ineffective (as was done through most of the playoffs). I think the checking line worked so well during the regular season because of Prims size and shut down capabilty, and the speed that Gags williams and kapanen provided to shut down the neutral zone and backcheck.
Of course the lines will shuffle around a lot, but i would have the semi offical checking line be
Sharp-Prims-Kaps with Sharps position being taken out of his mold, but whoever is most fit (Eager, Somik, Radio, Sharp ect.)

Old
06-04-2004, 01:28 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Gagne HAS to be off the checking line. The guy is TOO good to have his offensive talent wasted. Gagne plays defence well enough to be a Selke canidate some day, but I'd rather see him live up to his offensive potential.

That old Hockey adage, "You can teach somebody how to check, but not how to score." I'm paraphraseing, but you guys know what I'm refering to.

If Kaps comes back, I would like to see him on the 3rd line with Primeau and Radivojevic.

Old
06-04-2004, 01:31 AM
blah

No line is ever set in stone w/ Hitch. In important late game situations he'll have the players he's most comfortable w/ on the ice.

Clarke already said they'll plan like there will be hockey next season. We'll just have to wait to see what he'll do. I don't know about the rest of you, but the only need I see this team having is a goal scoring RW. That is if Roenick, Kapanen, Malakhov, Zhamnov, Recchi, and Primeau all come back. They hopefully will do something w/ Amonte at the absolute least LeClair needs to go. Carter also needs to be signed.

Old
06-05-2004, 06:21 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
If Kappy Retires (which I really don't hope), a nice guy to fill his spot would be Chris Simon! This guy is a monster on the right wing. Imagine a line with Brash on the left side, Prims at center and Simon on the right wing!

About Carter, it would be nice to have him with the big team next year. I guess he could be our 4th center, with Sharpie at the right wing and Somik on the left. Give them ice time and let it go...

Old
06-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
If Kappy Retires (which I really don't hope), a nice guy to fill his spot would be Chris Simon!
I'l love to see Chris Simon on this team, but I doubt it would ever happen.

I don't think Brashear would be around for much longer if Simon came to Philadelphia.

Old
06-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
I'l love to see Chris Simon on this team, but I doubt it would ever happen.

I don't think Brashear would be around for much longer if Simon came to Philadelphia.
Everything is possible. But Simon's huge physical presence wouldn't be a luxury, cuz Brash doesn't hit as he did three years ago.

Old
06-05-2004, 10:39 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
About Carter, it would be nice to have him with the big team next year. I guess he could be our 4th center, with Sharpie at the right wing and Somik on the left. Give them ice time and let it go...
4th line with powerplay time

Old
06-19-2004, 01:54 PM
blah

http://www.courierpostonline.com/new...s/s061904b.htm
Quote:
Sami Kapanen has softened on his decision to retire from hockey and is considering returning to the Flyers for at least one more season, team captain Keith Primeau and GM Bob Clarke said Friday.
Also I don't think this is true:
Quote:
If the Flyers cannot re-sign Zhamnov, that could leave forward spots available for rookies Jeff Carter, Mike Richards and Stefan Ruzicka, each of whom is considered ready for the NHL.

If the start of the NHL season is delayed by a work stoppage, Clarke said all three forwards would begin the season with the Phantoms of the AHL.

Reach Chuck Gormley at cgormley@courierpostonline.com
It's nice if it is though. I know Ruzicka can since he came over from Europe, but I thought it is the Flyers or juniors for Carter-Richards next season.

Old
06-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
http://www.courierpostonline.com/new...s/s061904b.htm

Also I don't think this is true:

It's nice if it is though. I know Ruzicka can since he came over from Europe, but I thought it is the Flyers or juniors for Carter-Richards next season.
Wierd. But Clarke did say this, unless Gormley made it up or heard it wrong. We'll see if they are signed. If could even happen before the draft, as for some reason Clarke likes to sign his top prospects in that time frame (see Woywitka).

Old
06-19-2004, 03:06 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

isn't carter already signed? or is a ATO just for a certain amount of time (AHL playoffs)

Old
06-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_
isn't carter already signed? or is a ATO just for a certain amount of time (AHL playoffs)
Right.

Old
06-21-2004, 04:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson on May 30th, 2004
Kapanen is not retiring.

Closed Thread