HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

8/16/10 - "Let's Get It Started" edition - Which player do you think will surpise...

Old
08-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
8/16/10 - "Let's Get It Started" edition - Which player do you think will surpise...

The weekend is over and we're back to the daily grind...just know there are only:

28 days remaining till the start of rookie camp - September 13th
32 days remaining till the start of training camp - September 17th
33 days remaining till the players hit the ice at training camp - September 18th
38 days remaining till the first preseason game - September 23rd

and...last but not least

There are just 54 days remaining till the start of the regular season - October 9th

So today's question:

Who will be the "surprise" of training camp this season for the Predators?

And while you ponder today's question allow me to provide for your listening and viewing pleasure today we have The Black Eyed Peas with "Let's Get It Started"...

Training camp in Nashville has a long list of training camp surprises with Dan Ellis in 2007, Joel Ward in 2008, and I'd say Marcel Goc in 2009 as the three most recent examples of guys that really weren't expected to provide any more to the team than NHL depth/AHL veteran leadership who instead made the team out of camp and saw their role grow throughout the season. Who will it be this year?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:12 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Jamie Lundmark. I gotta feeling.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:28 AM
lstcyr

Ryan Ellis will surprise and really have the Predators trying to decide what to do with him this year. (My guess: the Preds will swallow hard and send him back to juniors.)

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Ryan Ellis will surprise and really have the Predators trying to decide what to do with him this year. (My guess: the Preds will swallow hard and send him back to juniors.)
Definitely a strong candidate IMO, but as you say...I can't see the team wasting a year of his ELC and keeping him this year.

Could see him getting a 9 game tryout though if he beats out everyone else in camp...

Old
08-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Jonas Andersson. Poile wouldn't have signed this guy unless he really thought Andersson was ready to make his mark. Poile clearly saw significant improvement, and I hope we'll see the same on the ice.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:31 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Linus Klasen

And shame on you, mods, for subjecting this forum to the Black-Eyed Peas.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Linus Klasen
Ill have to agree with you even though you brought the worst song ever to this thread.

The organization is really high on the kid and everyone who is close to the team is super excited about him.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 02:12 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Ill have to agree with you even though you brought the worst song ever to this thread.

The organization is really high on the kid and everyone who is close to the team is super excited about him.
Look up Papa Roach and get back to me on that.

No, better idea: look up Limp Bizkit.

No, better idea: look up Insane Clown Posse.

No, better idea: don't look up any of those bands, because your ears are a valuable asset.

Old
08-16-2010, 02:17 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Linus Klasen

And shame on you, mods, for subjecting this forum to the Black-Eyed Peas.
And how about you actually listen to music that's age appropriate for you. I'm 31 and I know Phil sucks like a hoover. At least the Black Eyed Peas don't make me want to go suckle on the barrel of a gun when their music plays.

Old
08-16-2010, 02:55 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I think the biggest surprise will be whichever of the goalie prospects lands the backup job. The reason I will call that a surprise is i think one of them is gonna have to really WOW the coaches or Poile will sign an unclaimed vet late in camp(which is what i am expecting)

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 03:00 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
And how about you actually listen to music that's age appropriate for you. I'm 31 and I know Phil sucks like a hoover. At least the Black Eyed Peas don't make me want to go suckle on the barrel of a gun when their music plays.
Who says I don't? I just have an appreciation for music from previous generations. But if it's a crime to like Benny Goodman and Frank Sinatra, or Billy Joel and Bob Dylan, or The Smiths and Genesis, then exile me to St. Helena.

I still expect us to see Dekanich and Lindback rotated during the year, with a clear backup emerging around the trade deadline. If one doesn't, then we add a goalie on the cheap, but we should let the prospects duke it out. We're probably already sending Engren back to Finland and Smith back to Cincinnati, so bringing in another goalie would just make our depth chart that much more of a mess.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 08-16-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old
08-16-2010, 03:01 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I do not expect any of the goalies to win the job. I honestly expect another goalie to be signed.

Old
08-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Who says I don't? I just have an appreciation for music from previous generations. But if it's a crime to like Benny Goodman and Frank Sinatra, or Billy Joel and Bob Dylan, or The Smiths and Genesis, then exile me to St. Helena.

I still expect us to see Dekanich and Lindback rotated during the year, with a clear backup emerging around the trade deadline. If one doesn't, then we add a goalie on the cheap, but we should let the prospects duke it out. We're probably already sending Engren back to Finland and Smith back to Cincinnati, so bringing in another goalie would just make our depth chart that much more of a mess.
It's already been announced that Engren will return to SM-liiga for 2010-11 season. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure he won't be at training camp next month...

Old
08-16-2010, 04:10 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post

That's interesting. I know he has hands, but from the talk on the boards I was thinking he had very little chance of cracking the roster. Due to contract/waiver considerations if nothing else...

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:16 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
That's interesting. I know he has hands, but from the talk on the boards I was thinking he had very little chance of cracking the roster. Due to contract/waiver considerations if nothing else...
Oh, his chances of making the roster are virtually nonexistent, but I still think he will surprise people.

Assuming Good can get him in peak shape (and not use the same stupid power skating drill again this year that resulted in about a dozen groin injuries to start the season), he'll come into camp leaner, meaner, and with the same fantastic set of hands. He'll probably be one of the last players cut in camp, and one of the first recalled.

Old
08-17-2010, 10:29 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
It's already been announced that Engren will return to SM-liiga for 2010-11 season. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure he won't be at training camp next month...
When did that announcement come out and do the Preds lose a year on his contract?

Works for me. Now all the 3's and 4's in my deck for Barry Trotz Poker are toss outs.