HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

CGC: The Shame and Dishonor of BFC999

Old
08-14-2010, 03:46 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
CGC: The Shame and Dishonor of BFC999

No words can truly describe how pitiful my attempt at skating was today at the Sportsplex. It had been 10 years since I last skated and the temptation of the Centennial Sportsplex's rink on a day where various body parts melting off in the oppressive heat of the Dixie sun was too strong.

I figured that I lost 80lbs, I should be Brian Boitano out there....no, sadly no. I ignored the large bruise on my left glute from an accident in the Smokies and perused into the chill of Freon Winter.

The rink was filled with potential witnesses of my Bambi like balancing act on the ice. First, the skates; Rentals from the skate shop where the biggest mistake of the day for me was the words, 'Size 10 wides, please'. Slipping on the red and black contraptions was a disgrace. Looser than a rigged slot machine and as sharp as a congressional candidate, these things wouldn't have been worth melting down the metal blades for recycling. Knees wobbly from 10 years of built up trepidation, ankles crunchy from 30 years of flat, near beaver flipper like, feet. I take a step on the ice and realize I have no edges on the skates. Like using a railroad track for a skate blade, I had the traction of runway locomotive on the moon.

In shameful defeat, I removed the skates and returned my poor worthless feet to their New Balances and stared at the future of Nashville hockey.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Bad Karma

Rental skates?

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 04:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
Rental skates?
Yeah, you pay $2 and get skates at the rink.

Old
08-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Rental skates?
I played youth hockey here growing up, and I can tell you that they are the worst things ever created. it is just disgraceful that they even call those skates.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Yeah, you pay $2 and get skates at the rink.
Oh my bad I missed where ya said that.

Yeah those things are worthless. I rented some once. Never again.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 04:32 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Oh my bad I missed where ya said that.

Yeah those things are worthless. I rented some once. Never again.
Sadly, my old skates were in NH. And probably have more rust then steel now.

Old
08-14-2010, 05:03 PM
hockey diva

A Game in Franklin also has public skating, starting at 5:45 pm tonite and 11:25 am tomorrow. I've going there more lately because Centennial's hours haven't worked for my schedule.

hockey diva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 08:43 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

You've gone farther than me. I've wanted to try to learn to skate for a while, but whenever I touch ice I get the same feeling as if I'm looking over a 4th story walkway. My legs go to mush and I start making deals with God to get me out of that situation.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Tee hee.

Old
08-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Legionnaire11

rental skates always end up being those awful figure skates. Hockey skates are so much easier to skate in. And IMO ice skating is easier than roller blades due to less resistance. Also, it's always easiest if you don't think about it, just let your feet take you where you want to go.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 09:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The first thing you need to learn is to properly fall. This is not preparing to fail but to minimize damage so you can get up. Also helps if you have proper skates. Fully sharpened and depending on your ankles tight or loose.

The new technique of flat bottom vs is interesting and I want to try them.

Centenial has skating classes and they say you should first try to learn on figure skates because they are easier, but if you read my CGC in the business forum, Nashvillians learn on power/hockey skates. Learn to fall first so you can crawl. Crawl to learn to get up. Get up to learn to skate. Then you can learn fun things like skating backwards, step over turns.

Old
08-14-2010, 10:37 PM
token grinder

i was out there today with alex (now turned 3 and skating on his own) i didn't see you. however i did meet sabretooth

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Skating is terrific fun though... maybe take a class?

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 10:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i was out there today with alex (now turned 3 and skating on his own) i didn't see you. however i did meet sabretooth
I was there at 1:30PM and left about an hour later.

Old
08-14-2010, 11:03 PM
MrJoshua

Taking a class is a great idea. It's a LOT easier to learn how to skate with an instructor who knows what he's doing.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
Taking a class is a great idea. It's a LOT easier to learn how to skate with an instructor who knows what he's doing.
FWIW, the best skating instructor I've ever worked with is right here in Nashville and it is a she...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 11:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
FWIW, the best skating instructor I've ever worked with is right here in Nashville and it is a she...
Scott Hamilton is a woman?

Old
08-14-2010, 11:39 PM
hockey diva

Probably referring to Anglea Warchuk who teaches power skating.

I took 2 sessions of learn to skate classes at Centennial. They were geared for rec figure skaters but I got the basics. Their hockey skating classes seem to be geared towards kids. A Game also has learn to skate programs which include hockey skating. Don't know about the age range for the hockey classes. I picked up a book of hockey skating drills and am trying to do those when I go skate. I'll be at A game tomorrow around 1 pm if you want to say hi. I'll be in a yellow preds practice jersey.

Last edited by hockey diva: 08-14-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: add info
hockey diva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Probably referring to Anglea Warchuk who teaches power skating.
Angela Walchuk is in fact who I am referring to and I should have specified power skating as you mentioned...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 08:58 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
There are several good instructors at both rinks. If you want to learn how to skate as an adult go to your nearest rink and sign up for classes. The hockey players at public skate make it look easier than it is adults need extra teaching because skating is a completely unnatural movement and you've never done it. Not to mention a heightened fear of falling.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 09:35 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I was there at 1:30PM and left about an hour later.
how the eff did i miss you then? jeebus christmas. would have been nice to say hi

Old
08-15-2010, 03:25 PM
MarkMM

Do your rinks down there offer skate bars for new skaters to help balance? Please don't laugh or feel bad about the picture below, this is the only one I could find of such a device, they're at every ice-rink here in Canada and they're kind of like training wheels for new skaters, old and young, to help you stand while you become comfortable with how to push off and move around on the ice.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2252/...2966f8.jpg?v=0

If not, then maybe ask the rink to think of purchasing some.

Secondly, you'll feel a lot better and more confident when you go out there if you where knee-pads, and maybe elbow-pads, no need to feel embarrassed about it, just wear it under your clothing, you'll almost feel invincible.

And ALWAYS wear a helmet, even if you're an adult, lots of adults skate around wearing helmets here in Canada and no one gives a damn.

Finally, just a thought about the discussions around long-term fan-building, here in Canada, during the first few years of elementary school (I think you call it grade-school down there?) when you're 6, 7, 8 years old, it was mandatory in my school to go on a field-trip every year to the ice-rink with my class where we spent a day skating. If you could start that with your local schools down there, guaranteed at least a few in each class in each school will walk away hooked with the feeling and want to stay on the ice somehow, and that's how you suck in some hockey players and future fans.

And BFC, no shame needed to be felt at all, took a buddy of mine to the rink here in Vancouver a couple years ago, he spent the whole time WALKING around the edge of the rink, holding on to the boards until the night was done. And he was armoured up to the nine's, you'd think he was about to deploy to Afghanistan with all the body-armour he was wearing, but everyone has things they've never tried, only a few have the guts to go out and try it new, so congrats and I hope you're not too sore!

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 03:32 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Do your rinks down there offer skate bars for new skaters to help balance? Please don't laugh or feel bad about the picture below, this is the only one I could find of such a device, they're at every ice-rink here in Canada and they're kind of like training wheels for new skaters, old and young, to help you stand while you become comfortable with how to push off and move around on the ice.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2252/...2966f8.jpg?v=0

If not, then maybe ask the rink to think of purchasing some.

Secondly, you'll feel a lot better and more confident when you go out there if you where knee-pads, and maybe elbow-pads, no need to feel embarrassed about it, just wear it under your clothing, you'll almost feel invincible.

And ALWAYS wear a helmet, even if you're an adult, lots of adults skate around wearing helmets here in Canada and no one gives a damn.

Finally, just a thought about the discussions around long-term fan-building, here in Canada, during the first few years of elementary school (I think you call it grade-school down there?) when you're 6, 7, 8 years old, it was mandatory in my school to go on a field-trip every year to the ice-rink with my class where we spent a day skating. If you could start that with your local schools down there, guaranteed at least a few in each class in each school will walk away hooked with the feeling and want to stay on the ice somehow, and that's how you suck in some hockey players and future fans.

And BFC, no shame needed to be felt at all, took a buddy of mine to the rink here in Vancouver a couple years ago, he spent the whole time WALKING around the edge of the rink, holding on to the boards until the night was done. And he was armoured up to the nine's, you'd think he was about to deploy to Afghanistan with all the body-armour he was wearing, but everyone has things they've never tried, only a few have the guts to go out and try it new, so congrats and I hope you're not too sore!
yes those are available for use at least at the A-Game rinks.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 08:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
how the eff did i miss you then? jeebus christmas. would have been nice to say hi
Unless you were the guy who was skating with his toddler I might not have recognized you. Remember, I have had 6+ concussions and have zero facial recognition.

Old
08-15-2010, 09:39 PM
token grinder

that was me in the red drink coke shirt. i'm pissed i missed you now.

and centennial got 8 of them last week for kids.....although mu just turned 3 year old didn't need it