HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Updates 2010-11

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
True. I guess it just feels like we haven't had many high profile CHL players in recent years besides Cowen and Hoffman.

I guess deep down, I want more OHL players so I can follow them with more ease... but you can rarely get good value out of OHL picks these days as they're the most exposed prospects on the planet. You're probably more likely to find a late round gem by taking a player out of a European league or American high school.

Old
08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
i always thought of patty wiercioch as a Junior A product, not a USHL product. Seems i completely forgot about his draft year.

Old
08-23-2010, 01:35 PM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Underwood View Post
im loving the updates on sorensen, seems like a very interesting pick thus far...

on another note, due to forsebergs departure, can we conclude that our swedish drafting wont be as good as the last few years?
We will be drafting less Swedes, that's for sure. We won't really know how good Forsberg's scouting was until a few years at least, as Karlsson is his only picked that has panned out so far.

Old
08-23-2010, 02:00 PM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
True. I guess it just feels like we haven't had many high profile CHL players in recent years besides Cowen and Hoffman.

I guess deep down, I want more OHL players so I can follow them with more ease... but you can rarely get good value out of OHL picks these days as they're the most exposed prospects on the planet. You're probably more likely to find a late round gem by taking a player out of a European league or American high school.
I hear you, although I think it's much less likely for good American players to slip down into the later rounds these days as opposed to ten years ago.

Old
08-23-2010, 03:16 PM
kyle747

We need to improve the quality of forwards in our system, maybe one or two impact players.

We can either;

1) Somehow draft a forward who was overlooked
2) Sign College players who are undrafted
3) Move up in the draft
4) Make a trade

I'd like to see us get the 1st from one of the following teams; Rangers, Blues

I think both teams are going to finish much lower than projected. Both are also pretty desperate to improve. There could be some weakness there.

Random Monday thought.

Old
08-23-2010, 03:25 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Stephane Da costa would be a great college signing. I'm sure he'll be the next highly sought after player at the college ranks. Murray always seems to be in on all the big ones.

Old
08-23-2010, 06:10 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
I'd say too early to tell, at least let the guy play a couple regular season games before penciling him on the WJC team.
Who is penciling him in? It was a simple question.

Old
08-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

vCash: 1300
If one of Cowen or Wiercioch impress in the camps, Murry may trade one of our veteren d-man for a forward prospect ie. Campoli, Carkner or maybe Lee.

Old
08-24-2010, 03:25 AM
Sens Mile

If we do make a trade hopefully it will be one that helps deal with the lack of depth in our LW position

Old
08-24-2010, 06:00 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

I think it's safe to say Ottawa will have a LOT of options in the upcoming years.

Old
08-24-2010, 08:33 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Cowen 2010 View Post
If one of Cowen or Wiercioch impress in the camps, Murry may trade one of our veteren d-man for a forward prospect ie. Campoli, Carkner or maybe Lee.
I agree, but I don't think Carkner would be a candidate for a trade. He's the perfect #6 'D' - he's never going to make much more than he does right now, and he can play AND fight. How rare is that ? I just wish he would fight a little less and be a little more dirty (more hacks and slashes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I think it's safe to say Ottawa will have a LOT of options in the upcoming years.
Yes, we really have an embarrassment of riches on defense coming soon. And that is not including Karlsson - Wiercioch, Cowen, Gryba, Lee and Rundblad all have an excellent chance to play in the NHL in the not too distant future.

I'd gladly trade one of them for an elite forward prospect, but suddenly forwards are rare.

OK, I was just reading the HF organizational rankings - how the **** do the leafs get ranked #6 ? Can someone explain that to me ? Because it looks like the people doing the ranking must be hanging upside down with the bats!

I mean, really? Even though they have **** all after Kadri?

Last edited by kyle747: 08-24-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old
08-24-2010, 09:29 AM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
OK, I was just reading the HF organizational rankings - how the **** do the leafs get ranked #6 ? Can someone explain that to me ? Because it looks like the people doing the ranking must be hanging upside down with the bats!

By **** all you mean Jonas Gustavsson, who played 40+ games, had a ,900+ save %, sub 3.00 GAA in his rookie season, Tyler Bozak who had 27 points in 37 games, Carl Gunnarsson who played like a top 4 d-man at 23 years of age? Not to mention solid prospects like Aulie, D'Amigo, Caputi, Hanson...

And they were #6 without the likes of Rynnas, Scrivens, Ross, McKegg, Mueller, Granberg, Olden, so don't be surprised to see them in the top 5 next time.

Old
08-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Jared Cowen 2010

vCash: 1300
Quote:

Its called Leafs bias, I guarentee that the people behind these rankings are mainly Leafs fans.

Old
08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
By **** all you mean Jonas Gustavsson, who played 40+ games, had a ,900+ save %, sub 3.00 GAA in his rookie season, Tyler Bozak who had 27 points in 37 games, Carl Gunnarsson who played like a top 4 d-man at 23 years of age? Not to mention solid prospects like Aulie, D'Amigo, Caputi, Hanson...

And they were #6 without the likes of Rynnas, Scrivens, Ross, McKegg, Mueller, Granberg, Olden, so don't be surprised to see them in the top 5 next time.
That is nowhere near 6th in the NHL for prospects. Not even close IMO.

Old
08-24-2010, 11:15 AM
petelevi

Quote:
OK, I was just reading the HF organizational rankings - how the **** do the leafs get ranked #6 ?
The HF rankings are a mixed bag. I believe the current rankings you saw are very out of date--months old, perhaps as far back as last fall. I think the site would do themselves a favour by being more accountable or more transparent in why team X ranks above team Y.

Incidentally, ISS (the International Scounting Community) gave Toronto's prospects a C+ grade prior to the draft.

Old
08-24-2010, 11:21 AM
kyle747

Quote:

Of course it's all opinion, so I'll give you mine.

Elliot's numbers are just as impressive, 900+ save %, sub 3.00 GAA in his rookie season + in his 2nd season. And I don't think Elliot is that great.

Tyler Bozak looks to be a solid player, but really? He scored 8 goals averaging over 19 minutes a game. A player like Regin on a more complete team is only able to get about 12 min a game. He isn't taking minutes away from Spezza or Alfredson!

Gunnarson doesn't look like anything really special to me, maybe there is something I'm not seeing. Kadri will be a good player, but the rest don't really look superior to the grab bag of prospects every team has.

There are a lot of teams with better prospect pools, but not the leafs. To me it doesn't even look close.

Old
08-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Hale The Villain

The Leafs have some depth, but Bozak, Gunnarsson and Gustavsson aren't considred prospects by Leafs fans in the same way we don't consider Regin, Foligno or Lee to be prospects. Taking this into consideration, beyond Kadri they have no high end talent. Jerry D'Amigo as your 2nd prospect? He's somewhat comparable to our Derek Grant.

Old
08-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Jerry D'Amigo as your 2nd prospect? He's somewhat comparable to our Derek Grant.
Except he outscored Derek Grant in less games this year and is a year younger.

Old
08-24-2010, 01:06 PM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
He was also a star at the WJC.

Old
08-24-2010, 01:14 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
He was also a star at the WJC.
Which is apparently the only way to evaluate a prospect in your opinion. Except Petterson who doesn't count because, um, he just doesn't.

Old
08-24-2010, 01:30 PM
bdp

Quote:
The Leafs have some depth, but Bozak, Gunnarsson and Gustavsson aren't considred prospects by Leafs fans in the same way we don't consider Regin, Foligno or Lee to be prospects.
Nah, they're more along the lines of Wick and Butler, which we do consider prospects. The Leafs equivalent of Regin, Foligno and Lee are Kessel, Versteeg and Schenn.

In any case it doesn't matter what the fanbase thinks, as long as hfboards considers them prospects, they will count as prospects in the top organization rankings.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Chrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
Which is apparently the only way to evaluate a prospect in your opinion. Except Petterson who doesn't count because, um, he just doesn't.

I've never understood this either. How do people fail to give Petersson (outside of the sens fanbase and organization) any degree of respect?? He was tied for the WJC points lead with MPS, had a very strong season playing on the 3rd line in his rookie year in the SEL and has mad skills. The disrespect for him is undeserving.

The only positive for sens fans out of this blatant disregard is that it only gives us moderate expectations of him. As a result, if (and, likely, when) he exceeds those expectations we'll all be extatic.

Old
08-24-2010, 04:06 PM
DJB

vCash: 6000
The Leafs have one of the wrost prospect groups in the NHL. No way should they even be in the top 25....

Old
08-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
True however Grant is bigger and put up similar stats in his first NCAA season. He gets no respect even from Sens fans while D'Amigo is considered a can't miss prospect

Quote:
Nah, they're more along the lines of Wick and Butler, which we do consider prospects. The Leafs equivalent of Regin, Foligno and Lee are Kessel, Versteeg and Schenn.

In any case it doesn't matter what the fanbase thinks, as long as hfboards considers them prospects, they will count as prospects in the top organization rankings.
Wick and Butler would be comparable to Scrivens, Rynnas, Mueller, Irwin and Hanson

Schenn, Bozak, Gustavsson and Gunnarsson are considered NHL players so they would be comparable to Karlsson, Regin, Foligno, Elliott and Lee.

Old
08-24-2010, 04:24 PM
bdp

Quote:
Bozak, Gustavsson and Gunnarsson are considered NHL players
Not according to hf.

Closed Thread