HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Want to get stronger, faster, and more powerful?

Old
08-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves

vCash: 500
Want to get stronger, faster, and more powerful?

If you want to dominate your league, you should check out this amazing trainer in Burlington, Dennis Beitler. He's a strength and conditioning coach that works with a lot of NCAA and OHL players. I know some players from BC have flown out to work with him. Some of his workouts have made some of his most fit athletes throw up, but their point totals have jumped and their coaches have all given extremely positive feedback.

He does online programs and nutrition, so email him if you want to be the best player in your league, from beer league to any professional level.

He took this kid from 140 to 195 lbs - he tore up the BCHL this year.

The training has gotten more intense since this video, I've done it a few times and I threw up. This video just shows what his easy training looks like.

If you're close to Burlington, check out the facility. It's amazing - they've expanded their gym 2 times since this video was done - it's the best facility in Ontario by far along with the best strength coach in Ontario.

Email him if you have any questions or you want online training/nutrition.

dennisbeitler@cogeco.ca

Last edited by Lier X Agerate: 08-13-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Lier X Agerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Acew61

soooo...exactly how much are you being paid?

Acew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acew61 View Post
soooo...exactly how much are you being paid?
None actually. I actually just thought he was a great trainer and wanted to help his business. I've seen people get way better results with Dennis than with any other strength coach. I figured HF should know about one of the top trainers.

Old
08-13-2010, 06:56 PM
metric

Might not want to have a post that sounds so scripted then.

How much do they charge? Either way, I'm not traveling to Ontario to train since I only play beer league.

There are plenty of good local trainers/programs. Dan Hamhuis trains with Twist Conditioning (based in BC) in the summer while Mike Green and Duncan Keith work with Crash Conditioning. Anyone can register for their conditioning and sport specific programs. Pretty pricey sure, but still cheaper for non pro's who can't afford to travel just to train.

Last edited by metric: 08-13-2010 at 07:05 PM.
metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Might not want to have a post that sounds so scripted then.

How much do they charge? Either way, I'm not traveling to Ontario to train since I only play beer league.

There are plenty of good local trainers/programs. Dan Hamhuis trains with Twist Conditioning (based in BC) in the summer while Mike Green and Duncan Keith work with Crash Conditioning. Anyone can register for their conditioning and sport specific programs. Pretty pricey sure, but still cheaper for non pro's who can't afford to travel just to train.
It depends on what you want to get. He does online programs (if you do them, you'll feel a difference and realize how out of shape you are) and nutrition.

A few kids from Twist came to this place (kids from BC that flew out here), said that Twist was an absolute joke compared to this. It's cheaper than Twist, I know that much.

Old
08-15-2010, 07:18 AM
WickedWrister

In before the inevitable, "Dennis, is that you?"

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
In before the inevitable, "Dennis, is that you?"
No, I'm not Dennis. Jebus. Try to help a friend and get flamed in typical HF fashion.

Old
08-15-2010, 12:51 PM
SEALBound

Got to be honest...I highly doubt he could get you into better shape than Crossfit, or more, SEALFit can...

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 01:02 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The thing that caught my attention was the high reps. I've read a book for hockey conditioning written by a PHD and it was all about 8 reps with high weight to build explosive muscle that recovers quickly. The video was the opposite, low weight and high reps which would build long, lean muscle. Not bashing the idea at all, everybody is different and respond to different techniques just wanted to know the reason for the high reps in the video.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 01:26 PM
akalaM

I was a fat slob.
But I got ripped in 4 WEEKS!

akalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

That you Dennis?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Dreakmur

I like the one where he's simulating shot with a stick that's attacked to the weight system -- cool idea.

Other than that, it's pretty standart stuff. A lot of variations of the same thing

If you want to get in shape, and don't have hours to do it, just stick to the basic compound exercises.

Squats
Lunges
Deadlifts
Clean and Presses
Shoulder Presses
Pull-Ups
Dips
Push-Ups
Bent-Over Rows
Planks

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Stopped watching the vid at the quarter squats.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 06:29 PM
qwertysac

Plug

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Cattman
Laughing Skulls HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
I noticed that also! Why isn't he going all the way down to do a proper squat? 25 reps is easy if you're cheating!

Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves

As I said, that video is 2-3 years old. The training is much different and much harder now. It's a variation of Crossfit, but harder.

As to the high reps in the video - this athlete was already near his max weight and was toning and building muscular endurance at this point. The high weight low reps were done a few months prior to this video being shot. This athlete was only 17 at the time.

They do full squats most of the time, usually pushing 300+ lbs touching their butt to a medicine ball on the ground, otherwise the rep doesn't count. The half rep was only a variation to target a particular muscle group, not the entire quad.

Old
08-16-2010, 12:35 PM
koh19

Looks interesting, although I can't really spot a huge difference compared to what Twist, BTNL,.... do. I do most of the stuff they do in that vid, minus the squat exercices, there's no freaking squat rack at my gym.

I'm considering coming to NA next summer to train with one of these "hockey programs" (either twist, btnl, or anything else really) so that I can reach that next level. Nothing too long, maybe 2-3 weeks so that it's not too expensive and I can continue doing the exercises at home afterwards.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
Looks interesting, although I can't really spot a huge difference compared to what Twist, BTNL,.... do. I do most of the stuff they do in that vid, minus the squat exercices, there's no freaking squat rack at my gym.

I'm considering coming to NA next summer to train with one of these "hockey programs" (either twist, btnl, or anything else really) so that I can reach that next level. Nothing too long, maybe 2-3 weeks so that it's not too expensive and I can continue doing the exercises at home afterwards.
Consider this guy. He'll get you into damn good shape and you'll be training with NCAA and OHL/QMJHL players/prospects. One guy is headed to the Chicago Blackhawks camp this summer.

Old
08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene 9 View Post
They do full squats most of the time, usually pushing 300+ lbs touching their butt to a medicine ball on the ground, otherwise the rep doesn't count. The half rep was only a variation to target a particular muscle group, not the entire quad.
It was a quarter rep and what does this mean? Either you're working the quad or you're not. Forget Arnold's encyclopedia, he wasn't a physician.

I don't get the point of the med ball, but whatever. I don't see why you wouldn't simply teach proper form or make them front squat.

Old
08-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves

Quote:
It was a quarter rep and what does this mean? Either you're working the quad or you're not. Forget Arnold's encyclopedia, he wasn't a physician.

I don't get the point of the med ball, but whatever. I don't see why you wouldn't simply teach proper form or make them front squat.
The ball is good for making sure that the athlete reaches the bottom as many of the athletes compete amongst each other and post their numbers on the wall. They do front squats and as I said, this video is terribly outdated as the training and the gym are all new. It was just the first example I could find of his work.

Old
08-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene 9 View Post
The ball is good for making sure that the athlete reaches the bottom as many of the athletes compete amongst each other and post their numbers on the wall. They do front squats and as I said, this video is terribly outdated as the training and the gym are all new. It was just the first example I could find of his work.
If he's getting results, it's the only thing that counts to be honest, whatever the methods are. Often times, just the ambiance in a gym is enough to push guys to the next level. I'm just surprised how someone goes from coaching quarter squats to full squats.

Old
08-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves

Quote:
If he's getting results, it's the only thing that counts to be honest, whatever the methods are. Often times, just the ambiance in a gym is enough to push guys to the next level. I'm just surprised how someone goes from coaching quarter squats to full squats.
That was a one time thing really with the 1/4 squats. I've never seen it after that day really, but I know they did it for a reason. It would have been near the end of the workout as well so he was getting near gassed. Hell he does +300 without a problem now (full squats to the ball). And you're correct. He got the results. When he hit his training camp, he slaughtered the physical testing. Tops in every category on the team. Same with all of the other guys. It works.

What it has become is a mixture of Crossfit and sport specific training. There are full camps of hockey players from any skill level coming in and out of there and the atmosphere is just phenomenal.

Ian Pulver sends some of his younger talent to see Dennis because he knows he's good.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:50 AM
qwertysac

The amount of damage control in this thread is hilarious

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 07:15 PM
milkshow

Quote:
This. The video was nothing impressive.

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:05 AM
WhooFleuryScores

Pretty intense...

That is a pretty intense workout I must say...

WhooFleuryScores is offline   Reply With Quote