HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ken Dryden The Game (Carey Price)

Old
09-27-2010, 05:09 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Ken Dryden The Game (Carey Price)

Edit: looks like someone beat me to it. Someone delete this cause I cant.

Heard this on the team 990 today.
From Drynden's book. Might be relevant.

Quote:
It's not supposed to be that way. I am a professional, paid to do my job no matter the circumstances. Paying their money, my salary, the fans have the right to do as they please. It makes no difference to me. I can't control them. I can't depend on them, so I ignore them. They mean nothing to me. But of course they do. Being professional or not has nothing to do with it. I do only what I can. And by buying a ticket, does a fan acquire the right that a fan in the street does not? Opportunity, yes; access, yes; but any greater right? Does he acquire license to abuse me any way he likes, to say what he won't say to anyone else, anywhere else? Is that what I'm paid for, like a lightning rod, to stand in the place of everyman and attract and purge the resentments from his life? Am I supposed to take it and feel nothing? Is that all part of the game? I hear it all: every "On veut Larocque", every angry buzz, the tone in words I don't understand, the meanness in bitter, mocking applause. And the louder and louder they yell, the longer and straighter I lean on my stick.

I get them back for the start of each game and lose them with the first goal. Too many things have gone before, too many memories are too willingly recalled. The white gloves are off, the Mulligans all played, they just wait, and so do I.

I am not listening.

Last edited by znk: 09-27-2010 at 06:26 PM.
znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post

If any of you have not read this book, I highly recommend it. It is one of the most amazing books I've read.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
12jf54

Hopefully this will lighten up a few...

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

pretty spot on.

Easy to say and realize. Impossible to dehumanize yourself to a level where the fans have no effect...

Gainey was a great defender of our players as a GM. I always though he was selfless, in the sense that he had no emotions. However, his defense of ol #43 and Carey over the last few years demonstrated that even the guys with the best Poker Faces have emotions.

If anyone could be completely immune, I'd of thought it would be Bob.

All this said, Carey Price makes 2.75 mil and is very well compensated to take abuse. Don't feel too bad for him, he prolly makes 50 times what most of us make.

Anyhow very elaborate situation... not simple at all

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:26 PM
No Team Needed

znk is actually a part of the place i got it from so might as well keep his up lol

i think im gonna start reading the game again today

loneliest place in sports indeed

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Sebaldian

There's some comments from Béliveau on J-F Chaumont's twitter: http://twitter.com/JFChaumont
Anyone care to translate? Tried freetranslation.com, which is usually good enough, and it was pretty much useless.

Sebaldian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:32 PM
JrHockeyFan

Yep. That stick was a great prop (literally) for Dryden. Classic pose that said a lot. When he quit for a year to article for a law firm, I thought to myself "who does that? Who risks his career to do that?"

The man took charge pretty early

If you haven't read The Game you are missing a look at the game from a different and more cerebral angle. A great read

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:39 PM
CrisisInMTL

I loved the interview Dryden gave at the Centennial game. There's a clip of it here to start this video which is great. If anyone knows where the rest of that Interview was from, I'd love to watch it again.

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:43 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Yep. That stick was a great prop (literally) for Dryden. Classic pose that said a lot. When he quit for a year to article for a law firm, I thought to myself "who does that? Who risks his career to do that?"

The man took charge pretty early

If you haven't read The Game you are missing a look at the game from a different and more cerebral angle. A great read
it was much easier to appreciate the cheevers and espositos compared to dryden. dryden looked like a football player told to put on goalie pads. he just seemed awkward and less about skill and more about physical attributes. but for as long as ive watched hockey, "the linebacker" as my friends used to call him was one of the greatest goalies of all time because he made it all look easy. i think that's why we hated the canadiens in the seventies. they made it look easy. even easier than the isles or oilers in the eighties. you could see the sweat on denis potvin. you couldn't on larry robinson.

i can see that same feeling being related to carey price. he doesn't seem to sweat. he'll get angry but it doesn't seem like "hockey anger".

Old
09-27-2010, 05:43 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Dryden has lots of wisdom we could all use to develop and progress our character...Price included...

Anyone have a copy of The Game to loan to a poor student in Montreal?

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:46 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

good read

99GoHabsGo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:49 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
Dryden has lots of wisdom we could all use to develop and progress our character...Price included...

Anyone have a copy of The Game to loan to a poor student in Montreal?
library? chapters?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:50 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
it was much easier to appreciate the cheevers and espositos compared to dryden. dryden looked like a football player told to put on goalie pads. he just seemed awkward and less about skill and more about physical attributes. but for as long as ive watched hockey, "the linebacker" as my friends used to call him was one of the greatest goalies of all time because he made it all look easy. i think that's why we hated the canadiens in the seventies. they made it look easy. even easier than the isles or oilers in the eighties. you could see the sweat on denis potvin. you couldn't on larry robinson.

i can see that same feeling being related to carey price. he doesn't seem to sweat. he'll get angry but it doesn't seem like "hockey anger".
I never thought of him as a linebacker. I think Phil Esposito was closer when he called him a bleeping giraffe after losing that series in '71.

It's funny to see his pads and gear and compare the relative size to goalies today. NOW they look like linebackers LOL

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I never thought of him as a linebacker. I think Phil Esposito was closer when he called him a bleeping giraffe after losing that series in '71.

It's funny to see his pads and gear and compare the relative size to goalies today. NOW they look like linebackers LOL
back then most goalies were like 5'11" at best and then you had ken dryden at 6'4" and a gut standing on his stick. when he crouched into his net he looked massive. when we all first saw him we laughed at the canadiens bringing a football player to play a hockey players game. boy were we wrong.

Old
09-27-2010, 06:07 PM
LenineSDR

Quote:

I love this book.

Do you know which pages are this passage?

Thanks.

LenineSDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:21 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenineSDR View Post
I love this book.

Do you know which pages are this passage?

Thanks.
I dont know. After I heard part of it on the radio I googled and this is where I got the text from. I might help find the page.
http://books.google.ca/books?id=AzAm...gloves&f=false

Old
09-29-2010, 10:04 PM
McTusk

I've had this on my shelf for years, guess I should finally read it.

McTusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I read it a few years ago, and it is indeed very good, for many reasons.

One of the best part is when Dryden analyse why american and european hockey is so different, mainly because the first started with the forward pass being illegal (like in Rugby) and the second was heavily influenced by football (soccer). He also goes into great length in explaining what made the great habs dynasty so good.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:56 PM
LesCanadiens

Dryden is bang on, as usual.

Fans have a right to boo. They have a right to razz.

I don't believe anyone has the right to shout vulgarities at anyone else, under almost any circumstances. That IMO crosses all lines.

CP should put that excerpt on his locker door, and make it his mantra. Time to start taking it like a man.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:03 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Halak > Dryden

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:29 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post

I don't believe anyone has the right to shout vulgarities at anyone else, under almost any circumstances. That IMO crosses all lines.

CP should put that excerpt on his locker door, and make it his mantra. Time to start taking it like a man.
I'm not sure that's what Dryden said.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:32 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post

ehem, yeah, i think you completely missed the tone of the excerpt.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:38 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
I'm not sure that's what Dryden said.
I think he's saying, no one should take it too far. Because, you buy a ticket, it shouldn't give you the right to be impolite, to question the "integrity" of an athletes mother, or to make nasty remarks....but to boo? Straighten up on that stick, and shut it out. All of it. You can't let it affect you, otherwise, it will.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:22 AM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post

Very well said.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
All this said, Carey Price makes 2.75 mil and is very well compensated to take abuse. Don't feel too bad for him, he prolly makes 50 times what most of us make.
This annoys me because it seems like a really common way of thinking. Why does him making a lot of money allow people to treat him like they do? How much money does someone have to make so that politeness and respect stop mattering? And it's not even just about those things, it's about some of our fans not being such morons all the time and making everyone else look like them.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote