HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

All Consol Energy Center Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2008, 09:26 PM
goduquesne12

vCash: 500
All Consol Energy Center Discussion

I would like to hear from the people here what they would like to see in the new Pens arena. The first thing is that I hope that the Igloo club seating arrangement at the Mellon Arena does not carry over into the new one. No other arena I can think of has an arrangement like the one at the Mellon. Just about all of the arenas in the NHL have a lower level then a club/suite level and then an upper bowl. It seems kind of weird that fans at mid-ice at the lower level are penned off from the rest of the arena.

Then, I noticed this killer scoreboard in Charlotte

That is a 3-D model of the Charlotte skyline on top of it. The background simulates day and night. It would look pretty neat with the Pittsburgh skyline there.

I think 18,000-18,500 seats would be sufficient. Some people have been calling for a 19K-20K seat arena. That would be too much as we dont know how the team will be 20 years from now. Though I hate to see it, it could be 03-04 all over again attendence wise.

A food court with local Pittsburgh favorites (Primanti Bros., QS&L, and Benkovitz) is a must.

But I want to hear what you think. What would you like to see in the new arena

Last edited by WVP: 03-30-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: jeez, arena didn't even have a name when this thread was created
Old
02-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Cow_Master66

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduquesne12 View Post
I would like to hear from the people here what they would like to see in the new Pens arena. The first thing is that I hope that the Igloo club seating arrangement at the Mellon Arena does not carry over into the new one. No other arena I can think of has an arrangement like the one at the Mellon. Just about all of the arenas in the NHL have a lower level then a club/suite level and then an upper bowl. It seems kind of weird that fans at mid-ice at the lower level are penned off from the rest of the arena.

Then, I noticed this killer scoreboard in Charlotte

That is a 3-D model of the Charlotte skyline on top of it. The background simulates day and night. It would look pretty neat with the Pittsburgh skyline there.

I think 18,000-18,500 seats would be sufficient. Some people have been calling for a 19K-20K seat arena. That would be too much as we dont know how the team will be 20 years from now. Though I hate to see it, it could be 03-04 all over again attendence wise.

A food court with local Pittsburgh favorites (Primanti Bros., QS&L, and Benkovitz) is a must.

But I want to hear what you think. What would you like to see in the new arena

They need to keep the Ice Girls, that's the #1 priority.

Old
02-29-2008, 09:33 PM
goduquesne12

ha i guess that's a no brainer too.

Old
02-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

It's better to have too many seats, than not enough seats.

Old
02-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Not a big fan of that scoreboard. Goes overboard IMO.

Goes without saying we need those electronic sign-boards that encircle the entire rink on the level divider balcony walls.

At this point I just want the damn thing under construction, then I'll worry about giving feedback as to what goes in it as far as aesthetics.

Old
02-29-2008, 09:39 PM
malkinsmilitia

I think the buildings on the top are little cheesy. Hopefully are screens/scoreboard will be that big. For the amount of seats, hopefully closer to the 18,500 or 19,000. I don't think they are going to worry about what happens if we **** the bed in 20 years. If the Pens didn't have an outdated rink and the NHL had salary cap, they would of never gotten into the crap era of 2003ish. If this rink becomes outdated in 20 years, then we are screwed matter what. Primanti Bros, and QS&L would be awesome to have, but it would be cool to have a little hockey museum.

Most importantly I want to see at least 4 Stanley Cup Banners in that new rink by time it opens up. 2 from the 90's, 2 from today!

Old
02-29-2008, 10:17 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
It's better to have too many seats, than not enough seats.
Actually it's not from a business sense.

Old
03-01-2008, 12:01 AM
King32

I went to one of the fan interviews about the new arena for the Pens market research, what I gathered the arena stuff was pretty much decided, 18,500 seats something similar to the excel center in Minn. They where more interested in our opinions on parking and traffic issues than actual arena stuff.

Old
03-01-2008, 12:10 AM
PensFan68

I too love the scoreboard. Guess you either like it or not. Do think that Pittsburgh has the best skyline, so why not be proud of it. A big, nice scoreboard is a must.

19,000 seats tops I'd say. That's enough for a hockey game.

Easier access than getting to Mellon Arena. They should make an exit or something that takes you right there. Getting to the arena from the Vets Bridge is a joke during rush hour.

No cup holders on the seats. Yeah, they are convenient, but they take away room for the seat. Would rather hold my drink and have a couple extra inches of room.

Enough room in between rows. I'm tall and have a hard time sitting in the arena, especially in the upper sections. I know it's rough to fit all those seats in there, but they have to make it comfortable. I'd take less seats for more comfort.

Agree where someone said some sort of hockey museum (but just Pittsburgh). Something like the great hall in Heinz Field. That would be a great place to showcase the players in the Pens HOF. Maybe put it on the concourse where you can see downtown. Think that would be an awesome idea.

Also gotta have Pittsburgh foods there.

Old
03-01-2008, 03:03 AM
SlyGuy

A complemenatry super-high-speed train that goes directly from the new arena to Calgary, Canada. I think they could fit it in the budget...

Old
03-01-2008, 04:11 AM
bozz723*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow_Master66 View Post
They need to keep the Ice Girls, that's the #1 priority.
The ice girls aren't even close to being hot, I hate when people think that semi-attractive girls are amazing. Just because they are "ice girls" let's get serious here, those girls are in the 6-7 range.

You'll find better girls anywhere but on the ice.

Old
03-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by King32 View Post
I went to one of the fan interviews about the new arena for the Pens market research, what I gathered the arena stuff was pretty much decided, 18,500 seats something similar to the excel center in Minn. They where more interested in our opinions on parking and traffic issues than actual arena stuff.
i was there. When Ken Sawyer mentioned new seating technology a lady up front yelled out cup holders! And he laughed and said yea

Old
03-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Va Beach Pens Fan

IMO, the primary objective should be to make it feel like the fans are right on top of the players. That may mean steeper walkways, but they need to make the new Igloo a place that opposing teams don't want to visit.

Bigger concourses and additional restrooms. Don't get me wrong, I love standing nut to butt with 100 drunken yinzers just as much as the next guy, but I'd like to get back to my seat before the next period starts....

The last thing isn't really related to the new arena specifically, it's a policy thing: I've been to a lot of NHL arenas, and the Igloo is the only one that I know of that the ushers keep the fans away from the runways and the glass during the pregame skates and the intermissions. Anyone who's been to D.C. or Raleigh will tell you that there are hundreds of Penguins fans that get close to the ice and watch them come out, do their pregame, and go back in the dressing room. Fans that are sitting around those areas don't complain, they understand it's just a part of the pregame festivities, everyone goes to their seats after the pregame is done. Just my .02.

Old
03-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Being Gene Malkovich

So Pittsburgh is predominantly Democratic, correct? And I'm sure plans are in the works for a possible Democratic National Convention, correct?

Fly Al Gore and his Manbearpig in to help construct a greener, more environment friendly arena! And opening game the Pens jerseys could be Green with the skating Penguin logo, and the jerseys after the game could be auctioned off for charity.

Obama in '08, Gore in '16!

Old
03-01-2008, 08:32 AM
TopShelfGoal

Take the exact blue print from the RBC Center...and there ya go. I love that arena. I was recently there for the Canes/Pens game (obviously cheering for the Pens) and I was blown away. What's Mellon Arena have, 15 exits? RBC Center has 85. Ribs, Chicken, Pop Corn, Beer, etc etc. It was sick. Not to mention, it's the loudest arena in the NHL.

I also like Nationwide Arena (CBJ). Its nice. Pretty big and I'm pretty sure it's got multiple ice surfaces in it.

I would agree that having too many seats is better than not having enough. Granted it may end up destroying our sell outs in a row record, but with a fan base like the Pens it might not happen.

Last edited by TopShelfGoal: 03-01-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old
03-01-2008, 08:54 AM
goduquesne12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridoli View Post
Take the exact blue print from the RBC Center...and there ya go. I love that arena. I was recently there for the Canes/Pens game (obviously cheering for the Pens) and I was blown away. What's Mellon Arena have, 15 exits? RBC Center has 85. Ribs, Chicken, Pop Corn, Beer, etc etc. It was sick. Not to mention, it's the loudest arena in the NHL.

I also likes Nationwide Arena (CBJ). Its nice also. Pretty big and I'm pretty sure it's got multiple ice surfaces in it.

I would agree that having too many seats is better than not having enough. Granted it may end up destroying our sell outs in a row record, but with a fan base like the Pens it might not happen.
The guys at sportsroadtrip.com have gone to all 30 NHL arenas (not to mention every NBA, MLB and NFL stadium for that matter) They have Ranked the Nationwide Arena as #1 and the Xcel Center #2. So if the Penguins are looking to look off those arenas, I have a feeling it will be something great.

Old
03-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Unholy Diver

when I lived in Columbus I had a partial season ticket for the CBJ and I was blown away by Nationwide arena, that place is a palace. As someone suggested it does have another sheet of ice in the lower level that the team can practice on. It's a great place to see a game and based on the layout I would imagine a great place for concerts and other stuff as well

Old
03-01-2008, 09:59 AM
WhatsaMaatta

I'd just like a decent ketchup dispenser.

Old
03-01-2008, 10:11 AM
johnniewalker

Quote:
The guys at sportsroadtrip.com have gone to all 30 NHL arenas (not to mention every NBA, MLB and NFL stadium for that matter) They have Ranked the Nationwide Arena as #1 and the Xcel Center #2. So if the Penguins are looking to look off those arenas, I have a feeling it will be something great.
When I went to Columbus to see a decemberists show, it was held in a little venue right near the nationwide arena. That place was really nice. The parking lot was enormous and could've held tons of cars. It was also right near a highway so you wouldn't have to deal with the town as much as in the case of the igloo. Also, there were all kinds of little restaurants in the complex with the arena where you could grab dinner before the game. I ate in a little irish pub there that was sweet.

Old
03-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Skk82

Washington spent about $3 million on a HD scoreboard and it is awesome. Since HD is the wave of the future, I'm sure that's got to be in the Penguins plans for a new arena.

But, unfortunately, the Penguins are probably going to have what I think most fans dislike the most: those wrap around LED advertisements along the concourses. They're only really bad when they change during the middle of the gameplay, it can alter the whole lighting of the arena.

Old
03-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-skank View Post
So Pittsburgh is predominantly Democratic, correct? And I'm sure plans are in the works for a possible Democratic National Convention, correct?

Fly Al Gore and his Manbearpig in to help construct a greener, more environment friendly arena! And opening game the Pens jerseys could be Green with the skating Penguin logo, and the jerseys after the game could be auctioned off for charity.

Pittsburgh votes almost exclusively democratic, but is fairly conservative as is the rest of Pennsylvania outside of Philly. It is an odd town that way.

As for the arena, could someone link that article thatw as up right after the town hall meeting? The Pens were very clear in their vision of what was to be. Roomier seating, more seating, over 19,000, state of the art scoreboard, a restaurant and bar above the atrium in the front looking down on the ice, an interesting idea where the concourses would not have a blocked view but you could see the ice as you walked around and got your food and your funny penguins hockey stick hats, and having the seats designed to be over the ice much more so that all the seats in the building would have great views, or so they said. They would spend to the cap, but prices for tickets would never be more than the NHL average. They said more too but that is what I remember.

Old
03-01-2008, 01:09 PM
goduquesne12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Pittsburgh votes almost exclusively democratic, but is fairly conservative as is the rest of Pennsylvania outside of Philly. It is an odd town that way.

As for the arena, could someone link that article thatw as up right after the town hall meeting? The Pens were very clear in their vision of what was to be. Roomier seating, more seating, over 19,000, state of the art scoreboard, a restaurant and bar above the atrium in the front looking down on the ice, an interesting idea where the concourses would not have a blocked view but you could see the ice as you walked around and got your food and your funny penguins hockey stick hats, and having the seats designed to be over the ice much more so that all the seats in the building would have great views, or so they said. They would spend to the cap, but prices for tickets would never be more than the NHL average. They said more too but that is what I remember.
Their Season Tickets may be below the NHL average but the single game tix are above. Its ridiculous that I have to pay $45 to sit behind a pole but in NJ they have tickets for $10!

Old
03-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Their Season Tickets may be below the NHL average but the single game tix are above. Its ridiculous that I have to pay $45 to sit behind a pole but in NJ they have tickets for $10!
Supply and demand my friend

Old
03-01-2008, 02:04 PM
ajjg123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-skank View Post

The David L. Lawrence Convention Center is one of the most "green" buildings in the state. Check it out sometime.

Old
03-02-2008, 09:58 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Twistle View Post
I'd just like a decent ketchup dispenser.
Cupholders would be nice too.

Closed Thread