HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you qualify the Montreal Canadiens summer moves so far?

View Poll Results: How do you qualify the Montreal Canadiens summer moves so far?
Great 24 11.48%
Average 125 59.81%
Bad 49 23.44%
No opinion 11 5.26%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
BTW where is the good button? had to vote for average although I think overall it was good. Choosing to let go players is not losing players either.
We basically traded our MVP for a rookie and replaced a few average 3rd/4th liners with other unremarkable 3rd/4th liners. I fail to see how that can be construed as a good day's work. It's not terrible either, but to think it's anything but average is seeing things with rose-colored goggles.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:39 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It might have something to do with the OP, who clearly was in a negative mood from the outset. I bet he's hoping that most people put average because there is no "good" option, simply to make it look like the Habs had a so-so summer... Personally I agree with Yarfonger on all accounts. Gauthier has done an admirable job so far, and I look forward to seeing how well Eller and Boyd fit in. Operation Young and Fast in full effect!
That's just a wrong choice of words on my part. The options should have been "Positive", "Average" or "Negative". In fact, it's interesting to know that many of those voting for "Average" would have voted for "Good" if the option was there. My point was to show that it's only in Habsland that you'll find people thinking it's a positive summer so far. Not a single hockey fan agrees with that so far on the other poll made for non-Habs fans only.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:41 PM
gusfring

Bad. No improvement in any area and worse in nets. Can't see how people call it an improvement.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Dr_Hook

There was a bunch of minor moves, some I liked ; but the only real important decision was the goaltending, so if you liked the Halak trade, you like the summer. I don't think it's gonna work out for us with Price and Auld, so I'm rating our summer moves as bad.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:49 PM
MM425

Let's put it in perspective though people:

No team in the East got exponentially better... especially in our division. Boston is in cap hell, Ottawa added an aging Gonchar but nothing else of substance, Buffalo will more or less be the same, and Toronto added some guys but realistically aren't a threat to win the division this season.

The East is wide open... it's really going to come down to how Price plays.

If he plays well, we'll contend for the division title or at the very least make the playoffs in the 6-8 seed.

If he flops, we're life and death to make the playoffs, probably looking at a 9-11 finish.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:05 PM
BlackStar

I like the moves this summer. People act like Halak is Patrick Roy or something, trading him for a Eller and Schultz is real solid. One of them had to go, I liked Halak and I'm sad to see him go but it had to happen.

I am happy Gauthier has chosen to go with the youth for our bottom 6. We have a plethora of them and they need to play.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
That's just a wrong choice of words on my part. The options should have been "Positive", "Average" or "Negative". In fact, it's interesting to know that many of those voting for "Average" would have voted for "Good" if the option was there. My point was to show that it's only in Habsland that you'll find people thinking it's a positive summer so far. Not a single hockey fan agrees with that so far on the other poll made for non-Habs fans only.
So what's the conclusion? Last year at this time Gainey's moves made him a laughingstock on this board (and among some experts) and most people pegged us to finish around 13th. You've been here long enough, you should know by now to take outside opinions on the Habs' moves with a grain of salt.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Not The One

I voted BAD.

I feel the Habs are presently a worse team than the one that barely made the playoffs. I can't imagine anybody thinking that we are now a better team because of the moves Gauthier made.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
So what's the conclusion? Last year at this time Gainey's moves made him a laughingstock on this board (and among some experts) and most people pegged us to finish around 13th. You've been here long enough, you should know by now to take outside opinions on the Habs' moves with a grain of salt.
No, I think the average prediction from non-Habs fans was that the team would be fighting for a playoff spot, and that's exactly what happened. We simply gave more attention to those saying we would finish 13th. We went far in the playoffs only because Halak was in "god mode", but this is still a team that is supposed to fight for a playoff spot.

I think it's easier to evaluate objectively a team's potential from the outside, if you're not a fan of the team, because being a fan is often an act of faith and it's impossible to take a step behind and put it in perspective. Of course, it doesn't count if you're a Bruins or a Leafs fan and you're a Habs hater, then you're not objective either.

So yes, my conclusion is that the non-Habs poll is closer to the reality.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:23 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
My vote is bad, the team regressed...

If Price is not signed I want a VERY BAD option in the poll.
i can only imagine how insane you went when jose theodore wasn't signed until september 2nd. i bet the cuts still are not healed

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think part of the reason people are critical is that they don't see some of these moves in the "big picture" context.

One example is a lot of posters clamoring for Hamrlik to be traded or bought out. With Markov possibly missing up to 6 weeks, we can't just discard a guy like Hamrlik for nothing or in a buyout. We need a guy like him that can play all situations and big minutes with a lot of experience.

Same with the Halak trade. If you just look at it in the contxt of the last 2 months, it's a head scratcher...but you have a younger guy in Price who will cost less and has more skill/upside, at the same time you add a blue chip center in Eller plus some toughness on the wings for in 2-3 years. If that deal was made 12 months ago it would have been seen as a monumental steal for the Habs.

I also hear a lot of folks suggesting that AK get dumped, also for nothing or next to nothing, yet we don't have an excess of qualified top 6 wingers, especially not with his touch. He definitely needs to get his career back on track, but for 3 mil it's not like we could have signed a perennial 30 goal scorer.

Some of PG's move may end up looking bad, but he appears to have a plan and not be afraid to make the tough deal that fans might not necessarily agree with.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Let's put it in perspective though people:

No team in the East got exponentially better... especially in our division. Boston is in cap hell, Ottawa added an aging Gonchar but nothing else of substance, Buffalo will more or less be the same, and Toronto added some guys but realistically aren't a threat to win the division this season.

The East is wide open... it's really going to come down to how Price plays.

If he plays well, we'll contend for the division title or at the very least make the playoffs in the 6-8 seed.

If he flops, we're life and death to make the playoffs, probably looking at a 9-11 finish.
I see Buffalo taking a tumble, Miller is a good goalie but he had a monster year. Connolly won't play a full year 2 years in a row with his Brunet-like history. Also, they lost Tallinder and Lyndman and got Leopold and Morrison, that's a decent downgrade.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Flambergius

Voted average.

We were bound to be in more or less an holding pattern after the moves of last summer and better than expected success in the play-offs. We got some value for one of our goalies and preserved our ability to re-tool our defence next summer. Might have voted "good" had that been an option, but I think we lack depth, so not going to vote "great". (Though if couple of the young ones really step up, which is possible, we might be in for one great season.)

Flambergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:42 PM
alexstream

Quote:
How do you qualify the Montreal Canadiens summer moves so far?

1- Great
2- Average
3- Bad
4- No opinion

Here's the list of the moves that has been made by Pierre Gauthier so far this summer. I'm just listing the NHL and AHL moves.

August 16, 2010 Traded G Cédrick Desjardins to Tampa Bay for rights on G Karri Ramo (KHL)
August 2, 2010 Signed D Alexandre Picard to a one-year contract.
July 30, 2010 Signed D Alex Henry to a two-year contract
July 21, 2010 Signed G Cedrick Desjardins and F Ryan Russell to one-year contracts.
July 13, 2010 Signed F Maxim Lapierre to a one-year contract. Agreed to terms with D Mathieu Carle and F J.T. Wyman on one-year contracts.
July 1, 2010 Signed G Alex Auld to a one year contract
July 1, 2010 Signed F Dustin Boyd, G Curtis Sanford and D Frederic St.-Denis to one-year contracts.
July 1, 2010 Lost F Dominic Moore, F Glen Metropolit, D Marc-André Bergeron, D Paul Mara and G Dan Ellis to Free Agency
June 29, 2010 Traded F Sergei Kostitsyn to Nashville for F Dustin Boyd and G Dan Ellis. Signed F Tom Pyatt to a one-year contract.
June 28, 2010 Signed F Benoit Pouliot to a one-year contract.
June 22, 2010 Signed F Tomas Plekanec to a six-year contract. Signed F Mathieu Darche to a one-year contract.
June 17, 2010 Traded G Jaroslav Halak to St. Louis for F Lars Eller and F Ian Schultz.
June 15, 2010 Bought out the final year of D Georges Laraque's contract.

Players the Habs added
Lars Eller
Dustin Boyd
Alex Auld
Alexandre Picard
Ian Schultz
Karri Ramo (KHL)

Players the Habs lost
Jaroslav Halak
Dominic Moore
Sergei Kostitsyn
Glen Metropolit
Marc-André Bergeron
Paul Mara
Cédrick Desjardins
Georges Laraque
André Benoît

FA the Habs re-signed
Tomas Plekanec
Mathieu Darche
Curtis Sanford
Alex Henry

P.S. I made the same poll here, but ask ONLY to non-Habs fans to vote, because I wanted to know how those moves are seen from the outside. As I'm writing this, the current results are :

Great : 0 vote (0%)
Average : 16 votes (42,11%)
Bad : 18 votes (47,37%)
No opinion : 4 votes (10,53%)
borderline excellent.
would be perfect if we had done something like a Hamrlik and / or Spacek dump, had traded for Gagné and signed Volchenkov

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Well people outside of "Habsland" aren't paying attention to the inner workings of the team or our salary cap issues moving forward. Also, just from seeing how hard it is for FA goalies to get jobs right now, or have to take a paycut to get signed, we should all be thrilled for what we got in return for Halak. It's a thing of beauty that Gauthier managed to get two promising prospects (who cost next to nothing) in the trade. And hello? We got rid of the biggest headcase in Kostitsyn for Boyd, who's style looks to fit in perfectly with the team.

The only way this team does worse than last year is if Price ***** the bed. Every other move, IMO, is a move in the right direction. Gone are D'agostini, Laraque and Kostitsyn. In are Eller, Boyd (and Pyatt, Darche, Pacioretty or White). That's a vast improvement in skill, speed and work ethic.

Oh and by the way, the best defensive prospect in recent memory is a Hab this year. How anyone would not think we would be better this year is completely beyond me.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

They're not great but they are above average

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Points for 08-09 season : 93 pts
Points for 09-10 season : 88 pts

Points required to make the playoffs in 08-09 : 93
Points requires to make the playoffs in 09-10 : 88

Where we would have finished in 08-09 with 88 pts : 10th

What would have happened if the east hadn't sucked more than it ever has since the expansion ?

Also no one pegged the habs to finish 13th. EDIT: Well, I'm sure most people picked us to finish a little higher.

I pegged the habs to be in a fight for the playoffs. And I think a lot of people did too. The reason why Gainey was a joke is because of the contracts he picked up. Which is still true. Gomez is a terrible player to have at the cap hit he has. It hasn't changed.

Last edited by Des Louise: 08-17-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old
08-17-2010, 02:43 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
The only moves I don't like are letting Elis going (and by consequence signing Auld), trading Sergei, letting Moore walk. I also wouldn't have let Belle walk, and wouldn't have signed Picard. Also, not signing Darche would have allowed us to keep Moore (well, it would have given us some money to work with).

Also, I don't want to comment on the Halak trade. I feel as if we didn't wait long enough, but then again I don't know the offer offers we could have gotten. Maybe at the draft we could have gotten better? Nevertheless, Eller is a very good prospect, so I'm not exactly complaining. I don't understand the Desjardins deal, but unlike RDS, I don't really think this deal is significant.

In all, I feel like we didn't really improve, but we didn't regress. If anything, I'll give the edge to management.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Average, or decent.

If they can't sign Price/lose him to an offer sheet/forced to sign him for more/longer than needed, or trade him. This could be a fail.

Getting Eller and Schultz is good. Like hototogisu said, I would have also liked to have someone who can play, but loves to hit and can defend himself and teammates. We could potentially still get that in White and have a Moen - Lapierre - White line. Not too mention, Boyd still throws his body around and he can defend himself. He did well in his fight against Cogliano.

This team is shifting towards two-way forwards and speed. I don't think we'll ever get an enforcer as long as this trend continues.

Next off-season Gauthier will have more money. Gagné, who is a fit into the system will be UFA and Carter, who also fits the system and is that big centre we haven't have in ages will be an RFA and philly might need to deal him away in order to keep others.

Right now, I like the way the team is. We should do well in special teams again, but like always struggle 5 on 5.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
No, I think the average prediction from non-Habs fans was that the team would be fighting for a playoff spot, and that's exactly what happened. We simply gave more attention to those saying we would finish 13th. We went far in the playoffs only because Halak was in "god mode", but this is still a team that is supposed to fight for a playoff spot.
With all due respect, no. The most optimistic of projections had us at 8th in the East. The vast majority of predictions (be it from posters here or from bloggers or journalists) were outside the playoffs, sitting around 11-13th.

A lot of people focus on our playoff run as an 8th seed and how much of that was owed to Halak, but tend to forget that we hovered around the 5-6 seed for most of the year, even with injuries to just about every key player on the team at one point or another. Only a disastrous end to the season pushed us down to 8th. We were in a playoff position for almost every day of the season last year if memory serves.

Quote:
I think it's easier to evaluate objectively a team's potential from the outside, if you're not a fan of the team, because being a fan is often an act of faith and it's impossible to take a step behind and put it in perspective. Of course, it doesn't count if you're a Bruins or a Leafs fan and you're a Habs hater, then you're not objective either.
Yes, that's probably true, but as much as the Hab fans here can be homers, so too can the fans from an outside POV view everything as negative and detrimental to the team. Personally, HFboards is one of the last places I'd look to get an objective view on how the Habs are doing.

Old
08-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
A lot of people focus on our playoff run as an 8th seed and how much of that was owed to Halak, but tend to forget that we hovered around the 5-6 seed for most of the year, even with injuries to just about every key player on the team at one point or another. Only a disastrous end to the season pushed us down to 8th. We were in a playoff position for almost every day of the season last year if memory serves.
Interestingly enough, that "disastrous push" coincided with us getting ALL of our players back. That was the healthiest the habs ever got.

Old
08-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Forsead

I would say average. Habs retains good player and they end the goalie debates.

Too much one-year deals to my liking though.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:02 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Interestingly enough, that "disastrous push" coincided with us getting ALL of our players back. That was the healthiest the habs ever got.
Yes, but you can't realistically be implying that the Habs are a worse team with a full lineup than without, I hope.

Old
08-17-2010, 03:06 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
So far, i give 70% to PG.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Yes, but you can't realistically be implying that the Habs are a worse team with a full lineup than without, I hope.
No, but I could be implying that injuries didn't have as much of an impact as people think it had.

To be fair, some players like Cammy were just coming off injuries and needed a little time to get their mojo back and eventually did, but AK and Pouliot still floundered way into the playoffs.

This all leads us back to whether or not BP and AK can be productive top 6 forwards. We aren't likely as bad as that stretch says we were, but we aren't as good as people think we would be with all of our players back.