HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

E.J. Hradek - Why Marc Staal, Bobby Ryan will sign soon

Old
08-17-2010, 10:00 AM
RGF

vCash: 500
E.J. Hradek - Why Marc Staal, Bobby Ryan will sign soon

I am not an ESPN Insider... anyone see this & can post?

hope everyone is having a good summer

RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:13 AM
azrok22

I'm not an Insider, but I'll give it a go:

Because, unless they intend to spend this year vacationing in the Caribbean rather than playing hockey, at some point they will wake up, realize no offer sheet is coming and that they have no leverage, and come down in their demands.

Fact of the matter is, without arbitration rights or an offer sheet, RFAs don't have much bargaining power.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Balej20*

It's kind of worrisome to me that two years in a row we have had problems resigning a RFA. Is it Sather or the players in the wrong here? Do they really not want to play here maybe?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
It's kind of worrisome to me that two years in a row we have had problems resigning a RFA. Is it Sather or the players in the wrong here? Do they really not want to play here maybe?
It happens everywhere. Not only does this team have far bigger things to worry about, but I wouldnt even consider this a worry at all.

Staal will be here by the beginning of the season, just like Dubinsky was.

I dont mind Sather playing hardball with RFA's at all...in fact, I wish he'd try it with UFA's once in a while

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:31 AM
GAGLine

All he says in the article is that it may not get resolved until preseason, but one way or another it will get done. He doesn't see anyone giving him an offer sheet.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:35 AM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
All he says in the article is that it may not get resolved until preseason, but one way or another it will get done. He doesn't see anyone giving him an offer sheet.
yeah that's worth $10 a month for the insider haha. what idiot pays for that garbage? They act like they are the only source for rumors and speculation on the internet.

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
No, it just means sometimes there are players who out perform what their contract is, but because of their age and the nature of the CBA, they do not have that right at this point in time to really argue for it.

They can try (as we're seeing) but that's about it.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

This is how the game works... Staal wants more money and less years... Sather wants the opposite (obviously). Staal will hold out until it gets close to actually hurting his career and then he'll cave. But if he caved right away he wouldn't be sending the message he needs to send. It's all just posturing.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:42 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I dont believe a word that comes out of EJ Hradeks mouth after he reported "NHL Deal Imminent" during the CBA lockout.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:45 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
yeah that's worth $10 a month for the insider haha. what idiot pays for that garbage? They act like they are the only source for rumors and speculation on the internet.
Are you calling me an idiot?

Lol, I don't even pay for it. I used to years ago, but my credit card expired (09/2004) and I never updated it. For some reason, I still have access though. Every once in a while I get a reminder to update my credit card lol.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:48 AM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Quote:

Lol, I don't even pay for it. I used to years ago, but my credit card expired (09/2004) and I never updated it. For some reason, I still have access though. Every once in a while I get a reminder to update my credit card lol.
haha that happened with the gym once. Crunch billed me once and then not for a year, when they told me I wasn't allowed in until I paid. I was like... naaaahhh...I'll just go to the bar, instead.

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:36 AM
beastly115

Quote:
It's not just the Rangers. Kessel last year? Ryan this year? These RFA's need to learn their place. They're RFA's not UFA's. It pisses me off when people try to **** up the pecking order. Put in your time and you'll get your payday. Then some schmuck comes along and thinks he's better than everyone else and can skip putting in his dues. Hate it. Everyone else put in their time, you can too.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
pwoz

Blame the cap. Players you drafted should be exempt from the cap or you allow a certain 'home grown' percentage discount... so sign your drafted RFA for $5m, but it's a 2.5m hit.

We're going to have another lockout when the CBA expires.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Ih8theislanders

Quote:

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:18 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Sather is pretty stiff with what he puts on the table for his own players. Thats always been the case.

I also don't think any GM is going to offer sheet Sathers player. Glen will be patient and get a good deal.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Chief

Quote:
Sather plays hardball when he can and RFA negotiations are one of those instances. If the Rangers started losing key players because of it, then it would be worrisome - but they haven't, so it's not.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:02 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
You can get a year of Insider for about $4. ESPN the Magazine comes with a free subscription to Insider...and you can get by a year's subscription for under $5 pretty often.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:15 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Atleast here in NY it may have to do with these guys seeing junk making 5-6-7 million dollars a yr in front of them.

If your marc staal, the rangers number 1 defenseman why would you want a penny less than redden or rosival?

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:20 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Atleast here in NY it may have to do with these guys seeing junk making 5-6-7 million dollars a yr in front of them.

If your marc staal, the rangers number 1 defenseman why would you want a penny less than redden or rosival?
Oh I don't know... because there's a salary cap, a restricted free agent structure and too-****ing-bad-that's-the-way-it-works-you'll-get-yours-when-you-get-to-UFA-just-like-they-did?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:58 PM
pwoz

The salary cap is why I'm so angry about the greed of the players. Take the pay cut and the GM can use that money to retain the players you like to play with. Without a cap demand whatever you want, this team can afford it (hey it works for the Yankees!). The problem is GM's like Slats.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 04:05 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Oh I don't know... because there's a salary cap, a restricted free agent structure and too-****ing-bad-that's-the-way-it-works-you'll-get-yours-when-you-get-to-UFA-just-like-they-did?
I agree with you that players need to pay their dues and their paydays will come. I'm not advocating players holding out for more money, I'm just mentioning it because in most circumstances the guys above you making the money that they earned on UFA paydays, especially in the 6-7 million dollar range, are top level nhl talent.
Here in Ranger land Staal looks across the room and he must feel sick. The Rangers thought enough of redden to give him 6+, Rosival 5, Even girardi at 3.3.
Totally agree that as an RFA you have no leverage and need to play for your big payday, I'm just trying to get into the head of what staal must be thinking, and what his agent must be telling him because we went through this last yr with Dubinsky. Now were going to have Dubinsky and Cally next year and i think the bloated contracts of Redden, Drury and Rosival do cause a problem from the players perspective, especially if slats is asking them to give up UFA years and sign multiyear deals.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:03 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Don't want to get hit with another copyright warning so

Quote:
The 23-year-old Staal -- who's represented by agent Bobby Orr, the hockey icon -- is more of a defensive defenseman, though his offensive numbers have improved in each of his first three NHL seasons. While there's little doubt that he figures in the club's long-term plans, the Rangers are using their negotiating leverage to keep their costs down.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?..._ej&id=5468475

It's not a matter of keeping the costs down. The Rangers did offer Staal 4 years/$14 million in late June while Staal's agent Paul Krepelka wanted $3.5-$4 million for the same term. The Rangers want to buy out Staal's group III years which begin in 4 years with the current CBA which expires in 2 years. It's just a matter of finding the right number for a six year deal. $4.25-$4.75 million. Hradek didn't compare Staal's talks to Dubinsky's talks last summer but he wrote Staal's talks are playing out in similar fashion to Dubinsky's. Both players were group II's with no arb rights but the Rangers didn't want to commit to a long term deal with Dubinsky by meeting Overhardt's $4 million asking price. The Rangers have put the dollars on the table for Staal.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:35 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers have put the dollars on the table for Staal.
And Staal's gotta put the years on the table.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:24 PM
howztheglass

It's still early in the end he'll sign for 6 years at 4.5-4.75 a year.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I love how we play hardball with the players who deserve the raises but throw money at horrible free agents. Another reason this organization cracks me up.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote