HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another off-topic thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2010, 02:13 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave21 View Post
That is such a sick PC! I'm surprised you didn't go with a Corsair PSU though? I guess I'm just partial to them. The SSD is going to be amazing for you and is exactly why your boot is so fast. Once they come down in price, I'm going to grab one myself. And DO NOT run a defrag on one of those!!! It will ruin the drive, just a heads up. Why don't you game? That hurts me a little inside with that setup!

I built this rig last year for my gf (well and myself of course!):

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (Coolermaster V8 HS)
Case: Antec 900
Mobo: Asus P6T
HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black
Ram: 6GB OCZ PC1800 in triple channel and made for i7 CPU's specifically
Video card: 2x EVGA 9800GTX+'s in SLI
PSU: PC Power and Cooling 750W
Monitor: 22'' Acer 1080p LCD

I need to upgrade the GPU's and add another 6GBs of ram, but I can usually run any game with max settings at 30+ fps.
Thanks! I was actually looking at a Corsair PSU but I was able to get a deal on the XFX and when I found out the XFX was a rebranded Seasonic I decided to bite and yes the SSD is amazing. I had heard something about defragging but hadn't looked into it yet, thanks for the heads up!

lol...I know, I know, my friends just about die that I don't play any PC games. I have this old school biased towards them because I remember back in the day they used to jack up your machine all the time, give errors, need patches, etc, etc it was just too much hassle. I have a 360, PS3 and a Wii and I appreciate just being able to sit down and play a game without issue %99 of the time. I have to admit though, Starcraft 2 has me a little itchy!!

I see you built your own beast! I love that V8 cooler for all the wrong (right?) reasons, it just looks sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Sinurgy, your computer isn't far off from a pre-built I bought from Digital Storm. I normally build them myself but they were so heavily discounted last year for back-to-school that the margin was barely even there.

Liquid cooled 920, 6GB Ram, 2 SLI 275 GTXs with a 750 PC Power and Cooling. EVGA board, HAF 932 case.

Don't recommend the company though. Initially they claimed stable @ 3.8 with their liquid cooling but I had to back it down to 3.6ish to get it to run properly. When I called them out on this (along with a few other customers) they suddenly changed all their marketing literature to 3.6

Well built, just not so sure about the policies of the company itself.

Finding that the GTX 275 has aged well, and keeps up with new games so far @ 1920x1200

OT: Caved in and got an Xbox after watching roommates (Im at ASU now) play Reach so much. I see the convenience appeal of consoles now. But after a decade of shooters using a mouse I still get frustrated by the joysticks. Just so imprecise.
I have heard of Digital Storm before, they definitely build some high end PC's. I considered going with a pre-built just to eliminate the headaches but I had been out oft he hardware game a little too long and didn't want to lose touch. Don't want to turn into No Country for Old Men!

I used to play shooters (lol...Duke Nukem baby) on PC all the time and it does take time to get used to the controller but you do get used to it. At this point it's beyond second nature. It's not as precise but no one else is using a keyboard and mouse either so the precision doesn't matter much since you're all on a level playing field. Speaking of Halo Reach...I need to get to playing that, I heard it's sweet!!!

Old
09-19-2010, 02:15 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
A) Penn State received an $88 million donation that they'll put toward building a new hockey facility, and they'll have a Division I hockey program ready in time for the 2012-13 season. I finally have a college hockey team to root for, as opposed to just players. And I finally have a reason to visit State College after my brother graduates.

B) I mentioned a job interview in post #18 in this thread, and I found out yesterday that I got the position. Starting this week, I'm a web editor for George Washington University. The job itself is a perfect fit -- equal parts creative and technical -- but it's got a lot of peripheral benefits too:

-For the first time in over a year, I am just in a relationship, and not a long-distance one.
-I will still have plenty of time to work on my book.
-The university will pay 96% of my tuition, for credit toward a degree or otherwise.

I'm pretty stoked about this.
Wow congrats! Did you by chance look up in the sky to see if your name followed by pimp was on a blimp?!

Old
09-19-2010, 02:24 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
With modern hardware, your #1 bottleneck is disk I/O. I sometimes need to edit video for work, but mostly I run tons of processes in parallel and I want random access to be as fast as possible. I also need more space than SSDs allow, and the ability to quickly recover from a drive failure (hence the RAID 10 setup, which gives me the best of both worlds). I'm not saying anyone needs such a setup, but in my case, it helps. And since it's for work, money wasn't really an issue. I can currently transfer files over our network from server to desktop at 700 Mb/sec.

When I configured my machine, a 128GB SSD drive was pretty damn expensive. Today I'd probably consider it.

Nice! You have to overclock this baby...

I had the same problem with EyeFinity, I had to purchase these for our 4 -monitor setup:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A

Works well, but it's costly. We tried the cheaper adapters first, but it didn't work. I don't know why. It was supposed to work.

Also, depending on what kind of stuff you're doing on that machine, you may want to increase your RAM. I usually have 3 Visual Studio 2010 solutions (80 projects) debugging concurrently, Photoshop, Eclipse / Flex Builder, 2 VMWare instances and SQL Server running in the background. I know for sure 6 GB wouldn't cut it for me.
Oh yeah, I will be overclocking it for sure. Just letting it get nice and settled in for now but I plan to be at 4.0GHz soon.

The whole EyeFinity thing just seems to be a total crapshoot unless you have an actual DisplayPort monitor. This adapter I had purchased was supposed to be the solution. It's even ATI certified as a solution to running 3 DVI monitors but it sure didn't work for me. I RMA'd it and am hoping I just got a bad adapter. One of the big reasons I even went this route was because this $30 adapter was supposed to remove the need for much more expensive adapters like the one you mentioned. I'll be pissed if I have to buy one of those $100 cables anyway.

Damn dude you have A LOT of stuff running, I can see why you need that much RAM. Those 3 instances of VS Studio alone have to be hogging some resources!

Old
09-19-2010, 03:48 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I'll be pissed if I have to buy one of those $100 cables anyway.
I know, it's total BS.

I forgot to answer your question RE: noise. Yes, my machine is noisy, no question about it. The 4 drives are not really at fault though. For some reason I've always been a little scared of liquid cooling. Was worried it'd be a pain to set up, and didn't quite understand how you could apply it to your graphics card and drives, which get pretty hot as well. So I've got 8x120mm fans on the box itself, plus 2 on the graphics card, and a giant heatsink with 2 120mm fans on the CPU. Not nearly as loud as our server, but for a desktop, yes, it hums pretty loudly.

How are you liking liquid cooling? Are you still running a couple fans for air flow? The SSD should be running cool, but I'm wondering about the 1TB drive and the graphics card. Not running too hot? What about your RAM?

Old
09-20-2010, 01:18 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
How are you liking liquid cooling? Are you still running a couple fans for air flow? The SSD should be running cool, but I'm wondering about the 1TB drive and the graphics card. Not running too hot? What about your RAM?
In my experience HD's keep pretty cool without much help. He might run into a problem with RAM heat should he OC. My Corsair memory came with this cooler thingy with 3 small fans that attaches right on top of it. Something like that could solve the problem should it arise. There are RAM and HDD water blocks but they always seemed awkward to me.
Also I'm sure he still has a PSU fan, which really does the most to cool a system outside of direct component fans on heatsinks. Unless you ran the system with air, before going water, you would never really know how much different it would be.

My system has 1 less fan than yours but it keeps reasonably quiet. I think a lot of the noise in general comes from poor case design. The noisiest in my system is the video card by far.

SuperDave, how do you like the 9800gtx in SLI? I have 1 right now but have always thought about getting that second one now that they are cheaper. I bought the thing at release price, usually I don't do that but I was building right when they came out and they looked pretty nice.

As for the SSD, the reason mechanical HD's fail is usually the actual mechanical portions and not the data itself. On flash type media like SSD, there is a finite level of reading/writing you can do to the thing before it stops working. Defragment is mainly to place sequential data in the same physical region on the disk so access times improve and the mechanical portions do not work as hard. On SSD this is totally gone, all you are doing when defraging on a SSD is wasting read/write cycles.

Old
09-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
I know, it's total BS.

I forgot to answer your question RE: noise. Yes, my machine is noisy, no question about it. The 4 drives are not really at fault though. For some reason I've always been a little scared of liquid cooling. Was worried it'd be a pain to set up, and didn't quite understand how you could apply it to your graphics card and drives, which get pretty hot as well. So I've got 8x120mm fans on the box itself, plus 2 on the graphics card, and a giant heatsink with 2 120mm fans on the CPU. Not nearly as loud as our server, but for a desktop, yes, it hums pretty loudly.

I was always a little leery of water cooling myself but they have idiot proof solutions out now. The Corsair H50 that I went with is one of those. It's a sealed system right out of the box so you don't have to worry about adding your own water/coolant or making sure your fittings are leak proof. It's totally easy to install as well.

Right now my cooling consists of the H50 for the processor, 1 120mm fan and 2 140mm fans. The ram has huge heat sinks but no dedicated cooling solution. I'm probably going to add three more fans. One to enable a push/pull system to make the H50's radiator that much more effective as well as 2 more 120mm fans on the side of the case. Right now my PC is whisper quiet and I do hope to keep it that way.

Old
09-20-2010, 08:09 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Wow congrats! Did you by chance look up in the sky to see if your name followed by pimp was on a blimp?!
Quote:
Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave21 View Post
Congrats!!!:handcl ap:

I'm an English major and have always wanted to get a job in writing/editing somewhere. I hope you have a ton of fun and learn a great deal in the process!
Thanks, y'all.

Old
09-20-2010, 10:11 AM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Thanks for the info on computer building. I just need a computer for internet and online classes. keep my options open since I starting to believe that Best Buy is a ripoff.

Old
09-20-2010, 11:14 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Thanks for the info on computer building. I just need a computer for internet and online classes. keep my options open since I starting to believe that Best Buy is a ripoff.
I've always been pretty happy with Dell. I've bought about 8 laptops over the past 5 years for employees, 2 towers and 4 servers (3 cheap, 1 mid-range). I've had to deal with maybe 3 or 4 tech issues on laptops, shipped the items back for repair, it was pretty painless.

With that said, all my experiences were via their business channel, which includes a 3-year warranty and overall pretty sturdy hardware. For consumer products, I don't really know how good they are.

If you don't need much power, any reason why you're not looking for a laptop? It's just so much more convenient. Something like this would probably be enough for your needs:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14/pd

Old
09-20-2010, 11:25 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
As for the SSD, the reason mechanical HD's fail is usually the actual mechanical portions and not the data itself. On flash type media like SSD, there is a finite level of reading/writing you can do to the thing before it stops working.
I remember reading that 2 or 3 years ago when SSDs started becoming mainstream. But it looks like that finite number of writes is so big that those drives can have a 5-year life span while reading/writing 100GB of data per day (according to Intel). That's way more than most people need. Unless you're using the SSD as a video scratch disk or backup drive, which completely defeats the purpose of using that kind of drive anyway.

Old
09-20-2010, 12:05 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Quote:
I've always been pretty happy with Dell. I've bought about 8 laptops over the past 5 years for employees, 2 towers and 4 servers (3 cheap, 1 mid-range). I've had to deal with maybe 3 or 4 tech issues on laptops, shipped the items back for repair, it was pretty painless.

With that said, all my experiences were via their business channel, which includes a 3-year warranty and overall pretty sturdy hardware. For consumer products, I don't really know how good they are.

If you don't need much power, any reason why you're not looking for a laptop? It's just so much more convenient. Something like this would probably be enough for your needs:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14/pd
im very interested in a laptop but i was told to be careful with laptops since they are higher in price and dont get as much power as a desktop.

Toshbia and Asus are strongly recommended over anything else but ILL LOOK AT dell.

Old
09-20-2010, 12:18 PM
PhoPhan

I don't have the same expertise as a lot of the folks here, but I'd advise against Toshiba, albeit on purely anecdotal evidence. I bought a laptop for college a few years ago, and right out of the box, I was getting less than an hour of battery life. Within maybe two years of my purchase, a few of the keys (and important ones, like the letter 'L') stopped working inexplicably, so I had to use an external keyboard with it. Because it already weighed like 40 lbs. (which was my fault for getting such a huge laptop), the convenience of having a laptop was effectively neutralized. Plus, any time you plugged in the power cord, the entire machine would freeze and require a restart.

I've never been a Mac person and I actively loathe the whole "Mac user lifestyle," but I went with a MacBook after that experience and I haven't looked back. I'm not doing anything too demanding -- the only applications I use with much regularity are Firefox, iTunes, Microsoft Word, and the Adobe suite -- but I've found the overall experience much better.

Old
09-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I personally use a Toshiba laptop and love it. My sister had a Dell and it sucked. Always do research before you buy a new computer (if you aren't making a custom one). Sites like Cnet are very helpful.

Old
09-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I would endorse Dell as well. I've used them myself, my company uses nothing but Dell and when approached by friends for computers I always get them Dells as well. I've never had any problems with them and you can often catch some pretty crazy deals on them. I've used their Dimension, Latitude, Inspiron and Vostro models and the only real difference in the computers that I noticed was the Vostro (business machine) doesn't come loaded with bloatware.

btw...you don't have to be a small business to buy anything from Dell Small Business, I've bought several machines from there. I just enter a generic company name and it's always accepted, probably because it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by Sinurgy: 09-20-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old
09-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
I've never been a Mac person and I actively loathe the whole "Mac user lifestyle," but I went with a MacBook after that experience and I haven't looked back. I'm not doing anything too demanding -- the only applications I use with much regularity are Firefox, iTunes, Microsoft Word, and the Adobe suite -- but I've found the overall experience much better.
Resistance is futile Pho, in your circles you have to have a Mac or you'll lose hipster cred!

Macs are horrible on the bang for buck scale as they are ridiculously overpriced but otherwise they are good computers.

Old
09-20-2010, 05:39 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Quote:
Thanks, y'all.
Also, not that it is anywhere near the level of your other accomplishments, but congratulations on breaching 10,000 posts.

Old
09-20-2010, 06:22 PM
zz

Quote:
I've never been a Mac person and I actively loathe the whole "Mac user lifestyle," but I went with a MacBook after that experience and I haven't looked back.
Macs are very well designed machines, no question about it. But God forbid you ever need customer support for it. I swear, going through the experience of returning a defective apple computer would drive any sane & balanced individual to mass murder.

My wife's laptop motherboard went out. I expected to find everything I needed online. You know, fill a form, receive an empty UPS box, put my laptop in it and call it a day. But lo and behold I had to:

- Make an appointment at the Genius bar of the nearest Apple store.

I know, that sounds funny. But while iPod appointments aren't too bad, scheduling one for an actual computer is tricky. You see, these fill up very fast. But you can't make an appointment in advance. It has to be on the same day. So first I just show up around 12 PM, hoping to see someone before 2. I got literally laughed at. The chick out front told me appointments for computer repair need to be scheduled online as early as possible, which is... midnight of the day you're hoping to get in. I'm not kidding.

So I do as I'm told. At midnight, I log on and make an appointment for 9:45 AM the next day.

- Show up ON TIME.

My 8:30 AM meeting runs a bit long. I struggle finding a place for parking. I show up 9 minutes late. I get there only to be told to reschedule my appointment for the next day. And to not be late. Again, with a smug smirk.

- Be patient.

I show up the next day. 15 minutes early. They run 15 minutes late. After wasting a half hour of my life, I get to meet dick-head Genius. Everyone calls him Genius. He calls himself Genius. It says Genius on his shirt. And no-one laughs about it. It's the guy's actual job title: Genius.

We talk.

Genius: Hey, welcome to the Genius bar! What's wrong?
Me: The mobo went out.
FG (smirking): Well, well, we'll see about that. What are the symptoms?
Me: Computer randomly hangs. Grey screen. Can't reboot for a while. Then works for a few minutes. Then crash. I've tried a different drive. Tried a different RAM stick. No go. I'm pretty sure it's the mobo.
FG (condescending): Well, could be any number of things. Let me get my Genius diagnostics tool.

20 minutes later.

FG: hmmm... we're going to have to keep it overnight an run tests. Come back tomorrow. I need to deal with our next customer. We've exceed our 20 minute slot.

- Pay a fortune.

Next day, I show up, only to be told the mobo's dead. That'll be $ 400, thank you very much. And the machine needs to be shipped to California. I'll get in 10 days.

I spent the $ 400. It got fixed. This particular laptop completely died 6 months later.

I hate Apple.

Last edited by PhoPhan: 09-20-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old
09-20-2010, 06:42 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Apples computers are great if youre into editing and graphics design but outside of that Id rather just use their ipad or ipod for very basic needs.

Old
09-20-2010, 06:44 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Macs are very well designed machines, no question about it. But God forbid you ever need customer support for it. I swear, going through the experience of returning a defective apple computer would drive any sane & balanced individual to mass murder.
I've had my MacBook for almost two years and have only once had a technical problem, but it was a pretty good experience. My hard drive crashed completely, but they gave me a brand new one and installed it for free (because I thankfully got AppleCare when I bought the machine), and they transferred all of the data from the ruined hard drive for only $95 (which includes all my applications, my 200 GB of music, and the entirety of the work I've done on my book [which I have backed up on an external, but for the few days the computer was in the shop I sat there praying it wasn't somehow corrupted]). Anyway, an overall solid experience, though again obviously anecdotal. In general, I know I overpaid for what I'm getting out of his MacBook, but as someone who relies so heavily on his computer, the peace of mind I get from it is worth it.

Old
09-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:

My wife's laptop motherboard went out. I expected to find everything I needed online. You know, fill a form, receive an empty UPS box, put my laptop in it and call it a day. But lo and behold I had to...
Genius bar...seriously?! Man I see standards for being a genius have dropped dramatically. What's next, a "Badass bar" at J.Crew? Given your technical aptitude that had to be one seriously frustrating experience!!!!

Old
09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Apples computers are great if youre into editing and graphics design but outside of that Id rather just use their ipad or ipod for very basic needs.
That used to be the case but nowadays pretty much all of that software is developed for both MAC and PC platforms.

Quote:
In general, I know I overpaid for what I'm getting out of his MacBook, but as someone who relies so heavily on his computer, the peace of mind I get from it is worth it.
That is a serious understatement!

Old
09-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Anyone been else been experiencing those 2 second rolling blackouts the last 2 days?

A friend of mine said he was at the bar, and right after he put someone money in the jukebox one hit.

Old
09-26-2010, 02:58 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Anyone been else been experiencing those 2 second rolling blackouts the last 2 days?

A friend of mine said he was at the bar, and right after he put someone money in the jukebox one hit.
No? Is SRP / APS doing something in your area maybe?
I'd be interested to see why there are rolling blackouts if they are more than just isolated to specific areas for maintenance/work or whatever.

Old
09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
PhoPhan

I know I'm the resident journalism ethics curmudgeon here, but my head feels like it's going to cave in tonight and I'm having trouble tracking down a quote. I think it's Joseph Pulitzer (but I'm not sure), and the quote is something along the lines of "The public interest does not have anything to do with what interests the public." Anyone who can help me track down the proper quote wins one internet.

Old
09-30-2010, 01:22 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Jeep exploded. So long trade-in value.

Thing is a 98 with 130k on it. It's in terrible shape. Body damage, only starts in neutral, power door locks don't work, all kinds of internal lights are burned out, gas gauge doesn't work, a whole myriad of fun problems. That said, it used to run.

How does trade-in value work? Is there a minimum they typical give you for a running vehicle? Would I be well served in dumping money into this thing just to get it running so I can trade it in?

Also, how the hell am I going to buy a new car?

I have about 3k to put down. I have NO credit. My score is 635 because I've never ever financed anything and had two small things go into collections(Blockbuster video seven years ago, and a traffic ticket five years ago). I don't think I'll be able to find a co-signer. My dad just co-signed for my sister-in-law, so I think that puts an end to his willingness to help us kids out in terms of ruining his own credit.

Is it better to buy a stripped down work truck that's an 04 with 40k/mi. on it for $8k or is it better to buy a nicer 07 with 25k/mi. for 13k? Does original cost to re-sale value add up?

I've heard it's easier to get approved for financing on a newer vehicle. Someone told me I might have trouble borrowing for an 04 and would have an easier time gaining financing for an 07 despite the significant cost difference. Is this true?

Agh. I'm so effed. I'm not at work because of this POS Jeep, and I'm going to be so broke when I have to make payments on a new rig with some outrageous interest rate.

What's the worst rate I can expect? Please don't tell me that I may have to deal with 18% or something.

Closed Thread