HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another off-topic thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 790
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Jeep exploded. So long trade-in value.

Thing is a 98 with 130k on it. It's in terrible shape. Body damage, only starts in neutral, power door locks don't work, all kinds of internal lights are burned out, gas gauge doesn't work, a whole myriad of fun problems. That said, it used to run.

How does trade-in value work? Is there a minimum they typical give you for a running vehicle? Would I be well served in dumping money into this thing just to get it running so I can trade it in?

Also, how the hell am I going to buy a new car?

I have about 3k to put down. I have NO credit. My score is 635 because I've never ever financed anything and had two small things go into collections(Blockbuster video seven years ago, and a traffic ticket five years ago). I don't think I'll be able to find a co-signer. My dad just co-signed for my sister-in-law, so I think that puts an end to his willingness to help us kids out in terms of ruining his own credit.

Is it better to buy a stripped down work truck that's an 04 with 40k/mi. on it for $8k or is it better to buy a nicer 07 with 25k/mi. for 13k? Does original cost to re-sale value add up?

I've heard it's easier to get approved for financing on a newer vehicle. Someone told me I might have trouble borrowing for an 04 and would have an easier time gaining financing for an 07 despite the significant cost difference. Is this true?

Agh. I'm so effed. I'm not at work because of this POS Jeep, and I'm going to be so broke when I have to make payments on a new rig with some outrageous interest rate.

What's the worst rate I can expect? Please don't tell me that I may have to deal with 18% or something.
Get a used toyota. It will run forever and take a beating. I have a 97 t-100 4x4 with 160000 miles on it. nothing but regular maintenance done on it and it works great. With a Toyota I would attempt to purchase through a private seller.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:36 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
Get a used toyota. It will run forever and take a beating. I have a 97 t-100 4x4 with 160000 miles on it. nothing but regular maintenance done on it and it works great. With a Toyota I would attempt to purchase through a private seller.
Same goes for Hondas. I no longer need a car, so I'm selling my 2000 Civic that has 80k miles on it. The bluebook price for the condition it's in is $5,300. A friend of mine has a '96 that's nearing 180,000 miles. Neither of us has ever had a serious problem.

Old
09-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Mike92

Anyone play roller here? Think I'm gonna do some drop in at the castle today.

Old
10-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
How does trade-in value work?
Start here: http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/index.html
and/or
here: http://www.kbb.com/used-cars
to find out what your car is worth. Better yet hop on autotrader.com or craigslist and see what vehicles like yours are going for, that will give you the best idea of market value.
Quote:
Is there a minimum they typical give you for a running vehicle?
No, those commercials you hear on radio or see on TV are complete BS. It's basically robbing Peter to pay Paul. A dealer will only give you a good trade-in price if they can make it up in another area such as price of car they are selling you, financing, doc fees, desert protection packages, gap insurance, low jack, yada, yada!
Quote:
Would I be well served in dumping money into this thing just to get it running so I can trade it in?
It all depends on how much it would take to get it running vs. how much value it would have once it's running. You should consider selling it privately, since it's a Jeep there is a chance someone may have dreams of buying it and fixing it up and while you likely won't get much for it, you'll almost certainly get more than any dealer would ever pay, running or not.

Quote:
Also, how the hell am I going to buy a new car?

I have about 3k to put down. I have NO credit. My score is 635 because I've never ever financed anything and had two small things go into collections(Blockbuster video seven years ago, and a traffic ticket five years ago). I don't think I'll be able to find a co-signer. My dad just co-signed for my sister-in-law, so I think that puts an end to his willingness to help us kids out in terms of ruining his own credit.
You should follow the advice I mentioned before, your Jeep having problems may complicate it some but fundamentally your challenges are no different than they were before.

Quote:
Is it better to buy a stripped down work truck that's an 04 with 40k/mi. on it for $8k or is it better to buy a nicer 07 with 25k/mi. for 13k?
Not really possible to answer that question with any accuracy because there just is not enough detail. It all depends on the vehicles in question.

Quote:
Does original cost to re-sale value add up?
When it comes to buying a car, resale value should be given very little weight. Cars are bad investments and the ones with the best resale value will almost always cost you more initially thereby canceling out any inflated resale value.

Quote:
I've heard it's easier to get approved for financing on a newer vehicle. Someone told me I might have trouble borrowing for an 04 and would have an easier time gaining financing for an 07 despite the significant cost difference. Is this true?
Yes

I noticed you keep mention pickups yet your current vehicle is a Jeep (meaning it has no bed). Is pickup just your preference?

Old
10-04-2010, 01:11 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:

What's the worst rate I can expect? Please don't tell me that I may have to deal with 18% or something.
1.) aim low - get a cheap, reliable car. Like previously mentioned it has to be Korean or Japanese. I have a 98 camry that I have quite literally beat the **** out of and it still hasn't broken. It was only 5k (retail) from a dealer when I bought it and it had 103k miles. XLE, V6 etc... loaded out and some old person took immaculate care of it. The leather wasn't even slightly cracked. Look for Corollas, Accords, Civics, Camrys or even a Sentra or Altima.

2.) dont get financing through the dealer. They will always shank you. Get pre-approved from your bank for a small loan if you can't just pay cash for a cheap car. If you buy one of the cars mentioned before you won't be dropping much money on the initial purchase or maintenance.

Insurance will be non-existent. As cheap as it can come.

Your gas mileage will basically double. Old Cherokees are terrible on gas.

Really, if you don't need a big vehicle to do your job then don't buy one. Don't buy something that is 10-15k unless you absolutely can afford it. There's no shame in driving a cheaper car if you just need it to get around. I don't miss having a car payment or expensive insurance. I'm in school too so what more would I need then something to get from A to B?

Your jeep is worthless. They will have to sell it to a scrap yard or auction house and even then its not worth a lot to them. You might have better luck posting it on craigslist because rock crawlers buy bodies and frames that are in good shape all the time. The cash-for-clunkers program really dried up the market a bit for older Jeeps too so you might have better luck privately selling it. Buying from a private sale on craigslist is also a good way to get a cheaper car if you know what you are looking for. No sales tax and generally prices are 10-30% lower than retail. Big savings.

Old
10-04-2010, 01:49 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I have a 98 camry that I have quite literally beat the **** out of and it still hasn't broken.

Really?

Old
10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Like previously mentioned it has to be Korean or Japanese.
No it doesn't, in fact I wouldn't recommend Mitsubishi, Mazda or Suzuki. Toyota, Honda and Nissan have some good models but they are often overpriced. Of course you can have success stories like yours but I would attribute that more to the care of the previous owner than the make of the car. As for Korean I would consider Kia and Hyundai but would strongly recommend getting one that is still under warranty. There's also no reason to rule out American cars. There are plenty of reliable American cars that are good bang for buck. If he does indeed need a truck for work, he should definitely consider American.

Old
10-04-2010, 08:13 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
There's also no reason to rule out American cars. There are plenty of reliable American cars that are good bang for buck. If he does indeed need a truck for work, he should definitely consider American.
I currently have 3 American Cars/Trucks, including a Chevy Corsica from 96 with over 215k and no major work done since I've owned it in 2002. There are goods and bads to every manufacturer and I really don't care about the location.

Definitely try to sell the Jeep on craigslist first, there is a market for just about everything. See what people are asking for Jeeps in that year range that have significant problems and price accordingly. Aim high at first, you can always drop your price later.

Old
10-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

OT on the OT I know, but can someone please tell me what vCash is? Thank you.

Old
10-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

vCash: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
OT on the OT I know, but can someone please tell me what vCash is? Thank you.
virtual money( fake money ) used to bet on sports games/events located in the vBookie area of HF.

Theres a hockey one and on Page 2 for non-hockey events.

Old
10-05-2010, 06:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Holy ****! It's the end of days! This is the most bizarre storm I've ever seen in the valley. I've been here nearly twenty six years.

Old
10-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

Quote:
Holy ****! It's the end of days! This is the most bizarre storm I've ever seen in the valley. I've been here nearly twenty six years.
Its not monsoon anymore either. Im by Surprise right now and couldnt see **** out my windows.

Well at least this should help refill Tempev Town Lake.

Old
10-05-2010, 07:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
There are two kinds of credit, revolving and installment. Revolving is your basic credit card, it's where you have an upper limit but how much you borrow and the time you take to pay it back is at your own discretion. Installment is your typical car or house type loan in which the amount is determined at the point of the loan and payments are fixed until the loan is paid in full.

Revolving credit will certainly help you improve your credit score but it provides much slower results. The installment loan is the quickest way to increase your credit score (provided you honor terms of course) but it can be harder to obtain. My advice would be to get the secure credit card which has already been mentioned and go to whomever you bank with an apply for a small personal loan. You will certainly get a high interest rate but that's going to be expected until you can establish credit. You obviously have money from your student loans so I would suggest getting a small personal loan wherever you can get it (your normal bank or local credit union preferred) then instead of actually using the money you were loaned, throw it in your bank account and make your payment early or on time until the life of the loan (keep the term 24 months or less). If you complete that loan without hiccups, you're credit score will climb dramatically.

btw...considering your vehicle requirements, I think you could come in lower than $8k easily.

The more I think about it, I think you should just kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Get yourself a newer vehicle while building your credit. It's surprising to many people but qualifying for a car is actually a lot easier than most other forms of credit. Granted you're going to get dinged with a high interest rate but there really is no way around that until you've established a good credit history. However, it can be minimized by putting a good chunk of you money down (which you have from your student loans). Here is an quick and dirty example:

Car Price: $8000
Down Payment: $6000
Finance amount (loan): $2000
Rate: %20
Term: 24 months
Payment: $101.79
Full term cost: $2442.96
Cost of loan: $442.96

In that example, you'd have good credit quickly and the cost to you would be about $18 a month and that's even at a new worst case scenario as you should not be near a %20 interest rate!
They told me 27.5% interest! I didn't know that was legal.

They also told me that financing only two kay wouldn't help much with future loans.

I'm thinking I might do this:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...5&cardist=7471

Put 2,500 down and finance 5k on a 3yr loan. Make eleven timely payments. On month twelve, pay of the rest of the five kay. Maybe they wax me twenty percent, and it ends up costing me a grand over the course of the year. At least I have a paid of 5k loan with a year of timely payments. That should definitely help the credit. Yeah, I've paid eighty five hundred bucks for a stripped down 04 Colorado, but a year from now it will only have fifty five thousand miles on it. I should get a couple of good payment free years out of it, without it losing way, way, way too much value. I mean, I get rid of it before it hits 100k, and I'll be able to finance a big boy truck at that time.

Sound reasonable, or am I a moron?

Old
10-05-2010, 07:22 PM
moosemeister

The one day I decided to have my gf drop me off at school, I get poured on. Then her phone dies, so I have to walk from the furthest end of the ASU campus to McClintock.

Wonderful.

Old
10-05-2010, 07:38 PM
PhoPhan

Man. I did not know what I was getting into buying furniture from Ikea.

Old
10-05-2010, 08:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I got an immediate anxiety attack the only time i ever walked into that place. Scared me ****less. I got the hell out. Quick.

Old
10-05-2010, 09:41 PM
PhoPhan

Picking out furniture there is the easy part. Then you have to actually pull it down off the shelves in the warehouse, which I could have done if I were just getting one thing, but I needed a bed, a box spring, a dresser and a nightstand. I had to use two giant carts, and even then it was a struggle. Then I had to stand in line for 40 minutes to get it delivered. And then I spent three days assembling everything.

I just hope it lasts a while and I don't have to do this again for a long time.

Old
10-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
They told me 27.5% interest! I didn't know that was legal.

They also told me that financing only two kay wouldn't help much with future loans.

I'm thinking I might do this:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...5&cardist=7471

Put 2,500 down and finance 5k on a 3yr loan. Make eleven timely payments. On month twelve, pay of the rest of the five kay. Maybe they wax me twenty percent, and it ends up costing me a grand over the course of the year. At least I have a paid of 5k loan with a year of timely payments. That should definitely help the credit. Yeah, I've paid eighty five hundred bucks for a stripped down 04 Colorado, but a year from now it will only have fifty five thousand miles on it. I should get a couple of good payment free years out of it, without it losing way, way, way too much value. I mean, I get rid of it before it hits 100k, and I'll be able to finance a big boy truck at that time.

Sound reasonable, or am I a moron?
Who is "they"?

Old
10-05-2010, 09:54 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Earnhardt Dodge in Mesa.

Old
10-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Revenge of the Swedes.

Old
10-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Quote:
I got an immediate anxiety attack the only time i ever walked into that place. Scared me ****less. I got the hell out. Quick.
I have yet to step foot in that place and I think I'm going to keep it that way. The place just seems entirely overrated. The prices are not even that great. It's far more convenient and cheaper to just pick up similar stylish junk at Target. Granted Ikea has a vastly larger collection but most of it is still loq quality and not priced that great, especially considering you still have to some home and assemble everything which inevitably worsens the quality. I don't know, just seems like a lot of hype but perhaps I just don't know what I'm missing.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:00 PM
PhoPhan

I found the prices to be pretty good, which is why I went in the first place. Living in the moneysuck that is Washington, DC, I'll take whatever discount I can get. I'll happily build **** myself to save some money. Well, not happily--I'll ***** about it on a hockey message board. But I'll do it.

Old
10-05-2010, 11:54 PM
howlincoyote2k1

Sounds like I missed some kind of crazy, crazy storm down there with golfball sized hail. Which is funny, because yesterday, i was driving home in the middle of a raging downpour and thought to myself, "Man, this never happened back in Arizona."

Old
10-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlincoyote2k1 View Post
Sounds like I missed some kind of crazy, crazy storm down there with golfball sized hail. Which is funny, because yesterday, i was driving home in the middle of a raging downpour and thought to myself, "Man, this never happened back in Arizona."
Im watching Fox 10 right now and the footage is amazing with what this storm did.

Hail destroying windshields
Power poles falling on houses and on I-17
Lots of floods everywhere.

Old
10-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Yeah, a window at my place broke. Practically all the leaves and branches of the front yard tree are covering the neighbors yards all down the street. Ice still piled up on the side of the house. It's a mess.

Closed Thread