HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another off-topic thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2010, 08:12 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
I used to live in San Diego (where there were tons of these legalized dispensaries) before I moved here. I lost count of how many times I saw variations of the following headline in the Union Tribune:

"<insert heavy drug name here> bust at legal pot dispensary"

Against this measure for this very reason.
I'll gladly take that over the current "War on Drugs" model that regularly involves inordinate amounts of property damage, killing and maiming of pets, and bodily harm to humans over fractions of ounces of pot.

Old
10-12-2010, 08:13 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I was joking about the whole figure being the only negative. I do agree with everything you said though.
I didn't mean to frame it like you were in the wrong. Just getting on my soapbox. And the figure thing is a very real side effect. Not one to legislate over, but one to think about before indulging oneself.

Old
10-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I'll gladly take that over the current "War on Drugs" model that regularly involves inordinate amounts of property damage, killing and maiming of pets, and bodily harm to humans over fractions of ounces of pot.
You need to then look at the crime stats around the dispensaries. Some are around hotels near Sea World. Hotels have to hire 24 hour guards to prevent people from breaking in to their guests cars.

Old
10-12-2010, 08:42 PM
PhoPhan

Again, though, is that any worse than the obscene amount of crime committed over drugs where it's illegal, not to mention the obscene amount of police force that could be channeled elsewhere if the drug were legalized?

Old
10-12-2010, 08:47 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I think they should legalize ALL vice crime. "Want free crack? Step right up and sign this waiver!" If you are cool with signing away a ton of rights and privileges for free dope, be my guest.

Tough for me to say, having lost some of the people I've loved most in my life to heroin. Still, I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Old
10-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Final tests are being done to the capisle that will be used to rescue the miners in Chile.

Old
10-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. I'm 100% for legalization for medicinal and recreational use, but I feel like most advocates really diminish the negative effects of pot. It's not as bad as tobacco, but it does contain carcinogens (at least if you smoke it, which most people do and will do for the foreseeable future). It's not as bad as alcohol, but it does intoxicate you, and I wouldn't want someone driving high any more than I want someone driving drunk. It also completely saps your productivity, even if you're an artist; it'll give you some good ideas, but most people can't really execute them until they're sober (unless it's part of the aesthetic, which it often is).

The big thing to worry about, though, is kids. I don't buy into any of that "gateway drug" stuff, but there's a pretty clear link between adolescent marijuana usage and schizophrenia.

So my take on is it that it should be legal but controlled, to the same extent that cigarettes and alcohol are. People say it'll be easier for kids to get if it's legal, but I don't buy that for a second. I knew a lot of people growing up who got into reefer simply because it was so much easier to get than beer or cigarettes.
I completely agree with you but I think it goes without saying that everything should be in moderation. If you abuse marijuana you will suffer detrimental effects just as if you abuse cigarettes or alcohol. Excessive lifestyle is excessive.

Old
10-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
I don't think the "war on drugs" could be any less successful. 90 years ago prohibition helped build a strong mafia and now it's building extremely powerful drug cartels. Those people are freakin scary and they're only growing more powerful by the day thanks to this extremely futile "war".

Old
10-12-2010, 09:10 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I completely agree with you but I think it goes without saying that everything should be in moderation. If you abuse marijuana you will suffer detrimental effects just as if you abuse cigarettes or alcohol. Excessive lifestyle is excessive.
Of course. But in the maelstrom of "marijuana is less harmful than alcohol or tobacco," it's often misinterpreted or deliberately misconstrued into "it's a harmless drug."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I don't think the "war on drugs" could be any less successful. 90 years ago prohibition helped build a strong mafia and now it's building extremely powerful drug cartels. Those people are freakin scary and they're only growing more powerful by the day thanks to this extremely futile "war".
Agreed. Marijuana use and social acceptance of marijuana trends upward every year.

Old
10-12-2010, 10:06 PM
zz

Quote:
Of course. But in the maelstrom of "marijuana is less harmful than alcohol or tobacco," it's often misinterpreted or deliberately misconstrued into "it's a harmless drug."
Sure, that's why it needs to be somewhat regulated - minimum legal age, no driving under the influence, ad campaigns to fight underage drug consumption, sales tax should be used to fight drug addiction etc etc...

It just seems that compared with REAL problems, such as prescription pain medicine addiction or drug cartels taking over a neighboring country, spending so much energy forbidding harmless people from getting a little high seems so... bizarre.

I don't drink much. The hardest drug I've ever taken was acid, one time, 15 years ago. My wife and I like to smoke a joint once in a while, but haven't done it in probably a couple of years because being in your mid-thirties with 2 kids, living in the middle of suburbia, well, looking for a drug dealer is just plain weird. And for the life of me, I can't come up with one good reason why it has to be this way.

Old
10-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Watching the news and the 1st miner from Chile has been pulled up to the surface. 32 more to go.

Old
10-12-2010, 10:45 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I think they should legalize ALL vice crime. "Want free crack? Step right up and sign this waiver!" If you are cool with signing away a ton of rights and privileges for free dope, be my guest.

Tough for me to say, having lost some of the people I've loved most in my life to heroin. Still, I think the positives outweigh the negatives.
Funny you mention something like that because it's done in other countries, paid for by tax payers. I watched a documentary on NatGeo about 5 months ago and it had to do with different drugs and how they are used/viewed around the world. I think the show was part of a mini series called "Drugs Inc," but don't quote me.

In any case, one particular segment really caught my attention. A doctor in a European country actually gave out certain drugs free of charge, all courtesy of the tax payers. The drugs ranged from heroin to cocaine. The way they did gave it out was very interesting; instead of just giving it to a patient willy-nilly, a nurse or licensed physician would administer a prescribed dose to the person in liquid form, and the patient would simply sit in the doctor's office with other people getting the same treatment, high as a kite. Once the effect wore off, the person would go about their day.

Believe it or not, these drug addicts could function. Many of them had or obtained day time jobs. Basically the routine was to get high before work, come down from the high, then go to work and function like normal. One lady was addicted to crack and living on the streets before her "treatment." Now, she has a full time job, pays her taxes, bills, etc, etc like a normal person. Crime (drug elated or not...don't remember) went down considerably within a few years just because of this one public program. I'll try and find more about it and post links and such.

Edit: Found it.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...05#tab-doctors

Scroll down to the "Swiss Program" and it describes what I'm saying. Apparently, it was heroin and it is administered in its purest form with safe needles. Check out that page for additional information.

Old
10-12-2010, 10:51 PM
MP

Grace Slick gave an interview some years ago in which she was asked what was the worst or most destructive drug she'd ever done. Without hesitation, she answered that alcohol was the worst. I thought that was particularly telling.

Carl Sagan also once wrote an essay about smoking pot. It was published anonymously at first, but ultimately he acknowledged that he'd written it. He would write down ideas he'd concocted while high, and while sober found that some of these were valuable, but most were nonsense. Personally, I have a similar track record in terms of ideas for papers and so on, and I've never smoked pot in my life.

By the way, ScottRocks, we have something in common--in passing through college without trying pot, I thought I was more or less an isolated case.

Old
10-12-2010, 11:46 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
By the way, ScottRocks, we have something in common--in passing through college without trying pot, I thought I was more or less an isolated case.
I've never done or tried any kind of illegal narcotic in my life, college or not, so you're not alone. I'm really glad I didn't because the career that I am pursuing will not hire anyone who has ever tried or done an illegal narcotic. It actually pays to be a "goody two shoes."

Old
10-14-2010, 02:42 PM
PhoPhan

Is anybody here into painting? I don't just mean going to museums and stuff (which I also enjoy), but actually making a painting?

I've got a lot of wall space in my new room and have neither the time nor the energy nor the ladders (yahoo for cathedral ceilings) to paint the walls themselves, so I'm going to whip up a few paintings. My first is going to be about 3 feet wide and 6 feet tall and will go over my bed. I'm going to try to whip up a rough study in Photoshop tonight and would appreciate any constructive criticism, and if anyone has tips on the actual execution of it, I will gladly take those as well.

Old
10-14-2010, 03:14 PM
MP

Quote:
and if anyone has tips on the actual execution of it, I will gladly take those as well.
Fingerpainting. You won't regret it.

Old
10-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Finkadia

Quote:
Is anybody here into painting? I don't just mean going to museums and stuff (which I also enjoy), but actually making a painting?
Ooooh oooh! I have a BFA in painting! Rarely get to use it anymore so I would be quite thrilled to masquerade as an expert for you.

What's are you thinking for media and what's your time frame? At the very least I can recommend some stores.

Old
10-14-2010, 03:39 PM
XX
SOS

Quote:
and if anyone has tips on the actual execution of it, I will gladly take those as well.
erasable grids. Do them lightly in pencil and erase them later or paint over them. You can put the grids in photoshop too as a guide. Assuming you are trying to paint something specific and not something abstract. My roommate is pretty talented and uses a similar system, though not with photoshop.

Old
10-14-2010, 04:01 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkadia View Post
Ooooh oooh! I have a BFA in painting! Rarely get to use it anymore so I would be quite thrilled to masquerade as an expert for you.

What's are you thinking for media and what's your time frame? At the very least I can recommend some stores.
Great. I'll be glad to hear it.

For media, I'm probably just going to grab a big piece of plywood from Home Depot, lay down a base coat of white paint, and then compose with either oil or house paint, depending on how big a board I end up with. Because of the scale, I'm not sure yet if oil makes sense. As for stores, I live in DC, but maybe you can still help me out. This is a pretty simple project though, so I'm sure I can pick up my supplies just about anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
erasable grids. Do them lightly in pencil and erase them later or paint over them. You can put the grids in photoshop too as a guide. Assuming you are trying to paint something specific and not something abstract. My roommate is pretty talented and uses a similar system, though not with photoshop.
I am going for something abstract, actually. Sort of a color field/geometric abstraction thing, emulating Josef Albers, Mark Rothko, maybe some Ellsworth Kelly. But I'm aiming to do something kind of math-y, so the grids will definitely come in handy. I whipped up something sort of logarithmic, at least in one direction. It'll make more sense when I'm done.

Anyway, I don't have much painting experience, and most of that is confined to sketchpad-sized water colors. At this point, my only real strength is my humility.

Old
10-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Finkadia

Quote:
erasable grids. Do them lightly in pencil and erase them later or paint over them.
When I do this I like to just make dots wherever the lines would intersect. It's easy enough to connect the dots mentally and much easier to hide.

Old
10-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Finkadia

Quote:
For media, I'm probably just going to grab a big piece of plywood from Home Depot, lay down a base coat of white paint, and then compose with either oil or house paint, depending on how big a board I end up with. Because of the scale, I'm not sure yet if oil makes sense. As for stores, I live in DC, but maybe you can still help me out. This is a pretty simple project though, so I'm sure I can pick up my supplies just about anywhere.
Home Depot was actually my top suggestion since you are working on such a large scale. I wouldn't suggest oil. It will bankrupt you and take forever to dry. If you don't want to use house paint, go with acrylic. You can get mediums (matte or gloss) that can give you a little more transparency, stretch the color, slow drying times, and give you your desired sheen. If you have a Jerry's Artarama in your area they usually have the best prices for decent materials, otherwise you can go for cheap materials at a craft store, or for quality at another art store such as Utrecht.

Since you are going for geometric, I suggest you go crazy with masking tape.

Old
10-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:

I've got a lot of wall space in my new room and have neither the time nor the energy nor the ladders (yahoo for cathedral ceilings) to paint the walls themselves, so I'm going to whip up a few paintings. My first is going to be about 3 feet wide and 6 feet tall and will go over my bed. I'm going to try to whip up a rough study in Photoshop tonight and would appreciate any constructive criticism, and if anyone has tips on the actual execution of it, I will gladly take those as well.
Hey I went to ASU for Fine Arts! lol...though I was really there for the computer animation program so I guess I can't really offer any advice as my traditional art skills are lacking tremendously. I would still like to hear about and see your process/progress from photoshop on to completion simply because I find it interesting!

Old
10-14-2010, 06:18 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkadia View Post
Home Depot was actually my top suggestion since you are working on such a large scale. I wouldn't suggest oil. It will bankrupt you and take forever to dry. If you don't want to use house paint, go with acrylic. You can get mediums (matte or gloss) that can give you a little more transparency, stretch the color, slow drying times, and give you your desired sheen. If you have a Jerry's Artarama in your area they usually have the best prices for decent materials, otherwise you can go for cheap materials at a craft store, or for quality at another art store such as Utrecht.

Since you are going for geometric, I suggest you go crazy with masking tape.
Good call on the oil. That's the way I was leaning. Precision won't matter and if anything I'm going for something more aleatoric (and thus won't likely be using masking tape). I'll probably just go with some craft store paint and see how it goes, especially since this is my first attempt at this sort of project. Good materials won't make up for any lack of technique.

Old
10-14-2010, 08:44 PM
PhoPhan

So here's my first study, more to get an idea of what I'm going for than anything. It's rough but should show you what I'm trying to do. I'm not married to the color scheme but since it'll be in my bedroom, I'd prefer something calming as opposed to a bright yellow that would give me anxiety (although I slept with a Kandinsky print above my bed for years, so who knows?). My main goal is to establish a bit of kinetic energy in the piece, to give it some movement, both forward/backward and up/down. I would also be willing to rotate it 90 degrees in either direction, but not 180 degrees.

Anyway, I don't want to talk about it too much, especially with such an early draft. Any and all criticism is appreciated. I have thick skin.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:21 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
So here's my first study, more to get an idea of what I'm going for than anything. It's rough but should show you what I'm trying to do. I'm not married to the color scheme but since it'll be in my bedroom, I'd prefer something calming as opposed to a bright yellow that would give me anxiety (although I slept with a Kandinsky print above my bed for years, so who knows?). My main goal is to establish a bit of kinetic energy in the piece, to give it some movement, both forward/backward and up/down. I would also be willing to rotate it 90 degrees in either direction, but not 180 degrees.

Anyway, I don't want to talk about it too much, especially with such an early draft. Any and all criticism is appreciated. I have thick skin.

Cool. I'd prefer 90 degrees in either direction.

Closed Thread