HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another off-topic thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2010, 10:09 AM
zz

vCash: 500
What does it look like with a bit of transparency on the squares? A little alpha channel tweaking might create some interesting shapes where the squares intersect.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:26 AM
PhoPhan

That could be an interesting idea (I'm at work and the .psd is on my computer at home), but I worry that it could be too difficult to execute with actual paint. I want the colors to really pop, so using translucent paint might dull the overall piece.

EDIT: I could be wrong about translucent paint dulling the finished product. Does anyone have any example of something like this?

Last edited by PhoPhan: 10-15-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old
10-15-2010, 10:47 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
That could be an interesting idea (I'm at work and the .psd is on my computer at home), but I worry that it could be too difficult to execute with actual paint. I want the colors to really pop, so using translucent paint might dull the overall piece.

EDIT: I could be wrong about translucent paint dulling the finished product. Does anyone have any example of something like this?
I was actually thinking about transparency on the PSD prototype only. For actual paint, I would probably simulate transparency with various shades of blue. Kinda like this:

http://www.glass-backwards.com/Album...E2_800_600.gif

But yeah, that'd be quite a bit of work.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:11 AM
PhoPhan

In terms of just regular paint, there are some cool Matisse things like that, but they're also more sparsely composed. With how many forms I'm trying to jam in here, it might make it too busy to comprehend.

Old
10-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Finkadia

Quote:
I like it as is at this scale, orientation and all.

Quote:
With how many forms I'm trying to jam in here, it might make it too busy to comprehend.
I think you might find on a larger scale it wouldn't look so busy to play a bit with overlapping areas, but I would actually prefer to see you play a bit with texture or pattern.

You could probably have a lot of fun with different kinds of house paint samples in the different squares, matte, egg shell, satin, maybe even some faux-finishes (think granite), just stick to a similar palette to keep it from getting too busy.

Old
10-15-2010, 01:03 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkadia View Post
I like it as is at this scale, orientation and all.

I think you might find on a larger scale it wouldn't look so busy to play a bit with overlapping areas, but I would actually prefer to see you play a bit with texture or pattern.

You could probably have a lot of fun with different kinds of house paint samples in the different squares, matte, egg shell, satin, maybe even some faux-finishes (think granite), just stick to a similar palette to keep it from getting too busy.
Awesome. Thanks.

Despite the busy-ness, I'm hoping to keep it kind of minimalist, but I'll check out what sorts of options I have at the paint store. Ultimately, I think the natural texture of the paint will give me enough pattern.

One composition thing I could use some advice on: as is, it looks like the squares are falling down and collecting at the bottom. Is there a good way to make it look like they're floating upward? I've got a few ideas, but I'm curious to see what other people say.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Finkadia

Quote:
One composition thing I could use some advice on: as is, it looks like the squares are falling down and collecting at the bottom. Is there a good way to make it look like they're floating upward? I've got a few ideas, but I'm curious to see what other people say.
For me it already reads as if they are floating upward. The bottom is denser so it instantly draws my attention, then it moves upward. There are several other tricks you could incorporate to play with direction of focus, brighter colors, lighter and darker shades, larger objects and detail will attract more attention, while duller colors and tones, smaller objects and blurriness will not. You could also try to incorporate some linearity to converge at a higher point.

Old
10-15-2010, 03:05 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkadia View Post
For me it already reads as if they are floating upward. The bottom is denser so it instantly draws my attention, then it moves upward. There are several other tricks you could incorporate to play with direction of focus, brighter colors, lighter and darker shades, larger objects and detail will attract more attention, while duller colors and tones, smaller objects and blurriness will not. You could also try to incorporate some linearity to converge at a higher point.
Interesting ideas. I'm going to keep experimenting with this, though I don't know when I'll have time this weekend. I thought about the linearity/convergence, but I don't want to draw the eye to a single point; rather, I want to draw it upward generally. I might try to make each set of colors sort of meander like a smoke plume in different configurations as opposed to having them each just dissipate upwards.

Old
10-15-2010, 07:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

They looked to be moving upward to me, as well.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:20 PM
PhoPhan

Interesting. I've had a few people tell me the opposite. I wonder why the difference in perception?

Old
10-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I honestly see the squares pulling apart in 4 separate directions.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Perhaps its because I thought of them as paper thin. In my mind if they were falling, they'd lay flat. I prefer the look of them whooshing past in either direction, though. That's why I prefer a landscape orientation.

Old
10-16-2010, 10:48 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Saw Nas at the Marquee last night. Huge act at a small venue. He and Damian Marley played their entire sets together. Encore was DMX playing three or four of his hits. So rad. Especially for the price of zero dollars.

Old
10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
PhoPhan

Progress

I went to Home Depot over the weekend and picked up a 3'x6' piece of tempered hardwood. Yesterday, I applied a coat of primer and the first coat of latex house paint for the background. Tonight, I applied a second coat for the background. Here's where I am so far:

The whiteness is glare. The color is pretty uniform, but because of the size, the light is going to hit different places differently (which is part of the reason I wanted to work with such a big scale). I'm going to start working on the composition this weekend, but I don't know if I'll finish or not. I think I'm going to make an 8" square stencil to make the shapes, but I haven't decided yet.

Anyway, I'm happy with the color. It's exactly what I was going for. The funny thing is I had to use Disney house paint, I guess because no adult would ever want to paint an entire room this color. But this is the perfect saturation and tone. It matches nothing in my room, but whatever. It's pretty.

Old
10-22-2010, 09:37 PM
doaner

What a night...anyways... Anyone been to the website www.failbook.com ? Pretty hilarious stuff there!!! Always makes me laugh at what others post

Old
10-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Vip
****n good milkshake

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
What a night...anyways... Anyone been to the website www.failbook.com ? Pretty hilarious stuff there!!! Always makes me laugh at what others post
http://dontevenreply.com

Old
10-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
to join in on the amusing and time wasting websites, http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com. Guaranteed to either make you hungry and fat, or skinny and disturbed.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:02 AM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
to join in on the amusing and time wasting websites, http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com. Guaranteed to either make you hungry and fat, or skinny and disturbed.
I browsed that site for no more than five minutes and I now have chest pains. What the hell is wrong with people?

Old
10-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Was given a copy of an old movie called the Paper Chase. "If a man makes a contract with God, is it binding?" What a hoot!

Old
10-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Ive lost 30 pounds in the last 2 months.

Old
10-23-2010, 06:54 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Ive lost 30 pounds in the last 2 months.
Congrats! You obviously have put in a lot of hard work.

Old
10-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Congrats! You obviously have put in a lot of hard work.
Yes but hasnt been easy. Baby Steps and a personal trainer have helped. Still have some ways to go but its a good start.

Old
10-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Yote Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaarvi View Post
This is awsome!

Last edited by Yote Devil: 10-24-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old
10-26-2010, 02:40 PM
PhoPhan

ATTN: Folks who posted here (or at least lurked) back in like, 2003-04

When we had all those tiresome debates with Blues fans about Sean Burke's value, what was the basic package we were expecting to get from them? I vaguely remember a prized young player's name being involved, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was.

Old
10-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Kaizen

Wasn't Barret Jackman part of the package?

Closed Thread