HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Lombardi on Oiler's lunch

Old
08-19-2010, 09:55 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
So you can evaluate NHL worthy talent now? Must be nice..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Every time I've seen him, I haven't seen one damn thing that I've liked. Sorry for having an opinion.
Concur. I know you cant paint strips on a kitty and call it a tiger, but you also can't put skates on a thug and call him an NHL defenseman. I have never seen Tuebert as having good foot work or skating skills and his decision making on the ice is questionable at best. Big hits are great, but not when they come with the expense of blown coverage.

Tantrum: If you think Tuebert is NHL ready, well, I don't know what to say other than he's really NOT!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
DL is certainly building a similar group to the Hawks & Ducks.
Ducks built their 07 team with a strong veteran defense. Niedermayer, Beauchemin, Pronger, O'Donnell, Huskins, and Dipenta were either free agents or trades and none were drafted and developed by the Ducks. At forward, only Getzlaf and Perry were homegrown draft and grown players. Penner, Kunitz, Andy McDonald, Pahlsson, Moen, RNieds, and even Selanne were free agent signings or trades. With Giguere in net, the Ducks were solid in all three areas.

I like how Lombardi is loading the system. But to win, you need to use your assets and acquire players that can help your team. He doesn't seem willing to part with the homegrown talent as much to get a player who can get the Kings over the hill. San Jose under his management had the same problems and I don't think he is the man to take the Kings to the next level.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
Ducks built their 07 team with a strong veteran defense. Niedermayer, Beauchemin, Pronger, O'Donnell, Huskins, and Dipenta were either free agents or trades and none were drafted and developed by the Ducks. At forward, only Getzlaf and Perry were homegrown draft and grown players. Penner, Kunitz, Andy McDonald, Pahlsson, Moen, RNieds, and even Selanne were free agent signings or trades. With Giguere in net, the Ducks were solid in all three areas.

I like how Lombardi is loading the system. But to win, you need to use your assets and acquire players that can help your team. He doesn't seem willing to part with the homegrown talent as much to get a player who can get the Kings over the hill. San Jose under his management had the same problems and I don't think he is the man to take the Kings to the next level.

Signing Neidermeyer and the re-emergence of Selanne got the ball rolling for the Ducks. Giguere was solid throughout, but the cherry on top was getting Pronger.

IMO the Kings are going to go nowhere with Dustin Brown on the roster unless there's enough offensive depth to have him play on the 3rd line. Williams is okay for now (debateable) and Simmonds should be the 2nd line RWer on the team. Our top 2 LWers are dicey and pricey. Smyth for 2 more years and Poni doesn't intimidate anybody and was a playoff no show. Stoll is decent, but he's a 3rd line center on a good team and right now Handzus is better in that role.

The fact that Hickey and Teubert are spending more time on the doctor's table than getting solid minor league experience is also killing this team. I love the Kings and there's always hope at the beginning of every season, but this team has gone backwards unless Schenn, Clifford and Bernier have incredible rookie seasons.

Oh, and god forbid Doughty gets injured at any point.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 12:00 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
IMO the Kings are going to go nowhere with Dustin Brown on the roster unless there's enough offensive depth to have him play on the 3rd line. Williams is okay for now (debateable) and Simmonds should be the 2nd line RWer on the team. Our top 2 LWers are dicey and pricey. Smyth for 2 more years and Poni doesn't intimidate anybody and was a playoff no show. Stoll is decent, but he's a 3rd line center on a good team and right now Handzus is better in that role.

The fact that Hickey and Teubert are spending more time on the doctor's table than getting solid minor league experience is also killing this team. I love the Kings and there's always hope at the beginning of every season, but this team has gone backwards unless Schenn, Clifford and Bernier have incredible rookie seasons.

Oh, and god forbid Doughty gets injured at any point.
Ponikarovsky is not a top 6 winger. He replaced Modin on the depth chart, not Frolov.

There's still time left to bolster the roster. Sure, I agree with you that if they start training camp without addressing their top 6 LW hole and their defenseman hole(s) (2 now that Greene is out), it's a step backward, but that's not happening because Dean is not finished.

Dean isn't done. Dean gets fired if he's done. He may wind up severely overpaying to do something, but he'll do something.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Ponikarovsky is not a top 6 winger. He replaced Modin on the depth chart, not Frolov.

There's still time left to bolster the roster. Sure, I agree with you that if they start training camp without addressing their top 6 LW hole and their defenseman hole(s) (2 now that Greene is out), it's a step backward, but that's not happening because Dean is not finished.

Dean isn't done. Dean gets fired if he's done. He may wind up severely overpaying to do something, but he'll do something.

I think he will too, but man these days are going by REAL slow.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 02:07 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think he will too, but man these days are going by REAL slow.
Come one now...we all KNOW that everything is still hinging on the Kovy situation. Once that's resolved the dominoes will really start falling...

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
... the dominoes will really start falling...
the whole "falling dominoes" metaphor has completely jinxed this off season.... wherever or whenever it's used or brought up - nothing happens.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
IMO the Kings are going to go nowhere with Dustin Brown on the roster unless there's enough offensive depth to have him play on the 3rd line.
LOL. Brown as a 2nd line winger is a team's downfall? Terrible.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 03:11 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

He practically said everything but IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE will be declared the slogan for the 2010-11 season...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Seriously, Brown potted 24 goals and got 56 points, and yet he's supposed to be on the 3rd line? He was also 2nd in the NHL in hits. Perfect 2nd line RW IMO. Now Simmonds, is a perfect 3rd line RW, unless he goes out and scores 25+G this season, then maybe he's 1st or 2nd line RW material.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Mike The Franchise

My only hope this season is for Bernier to have an amazing season thats worthy of the Calder Trophy or maybe yet the Conn Smyth (yes im drinking the kool-aid)

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchuk89 View Post
My only hope this season is for Bernier to have an amazing season thats worthy of the Calder Trophy or maybe yet the Conn Smyth (yes im drinking the kool-aid)
Why not assume all the best for the coming year?

That's one good thing about the summer!

... and you forgot the Vezina will go to Bernier as well!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 04:20 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

Why is it so hard to get some of us to understand this point?

Poniboy will be our depth 3/4 lw in the same manner that Modin was last season (at when we got him). Frolov even though some can argue that he never gave enough to reach his true potential was at least a capable 2/3 guy and I feel had an amazing season based on him having to change his game from O minded top lw to D first bottom 6er. He's gone and that is that so off we go and all but if anyone thinks that Poniboy is going to come in and make us happy that Frolov is gone then they are in for a rude awakening. Poni is a bigger flashier version of Frolov who can toe drag like a demon and then do nothing with his opportunities. He will then seem to get lost for a period and a half and then skate really hard accomplishing very little.

He turns the puck over at center ice too often for any of us to be comfortable with at this stage but, his major upside is that he has enough size, speed and puck handling skill to make the other team nervous at times and that is a very good thing.

In other words, don't expect Poni to come in and eat the puck along the boards like Frolov did or to be a puck possession guy either. He is a guy who looks like a top 6 forward when he skates and finishes like a 4rth liner. A worthwhile player but not a top 6er.

DL isn't finished and he is working his tail off on a couple of things, he has said so himself. My fear is that in the end it will go down exactly as you are saying Tony, that he will end up overpaying for a piece that we need and we will have to carry that piece around our necks for the next few years making it impossible to add a key piece should they come available.

Hoping for the best at this point and there is certainly time for that imo.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote