HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help, advice, tips

Old
08-21-2010, 06:44 PM
sharks fan 209

vCash: 500
Need help, advice, tips

I was just seeing if anyone can chime in and give me some help here. I am entering a tournament in lake tahoe in november and i want to get stronger by that time im about 5'7 150. what on and off ice training/excersies can i do to gain more strength, shot power, and skating endurance,agility, and speed?

Thanks in adavance

(I apologize if there are other threads like this)

sharks fan 209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:44 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Run, Run, and run some more!

For strength do Pushups every day. They add up.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:59 PM
SouthpawTRK

Where are you located? If you are in San Jose (or surrounding areas) take a look into both on ice and off ice training at Sharks Ice. If you are nowhere near San Jose, call your local rink and see if they have off ice/on ice programs. The other advice posted so far is not going to hurt; running, push ups, etc..., but if you can get into hockey specific work outs, then you might get the results that you are looking for in time for the tournament.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:34 AM
sharks fan 209

I live in Modesto the only rink in have is Stockton

sharks fan 209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:03 AM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks fan 209 View Post
I was just seeing if anyone can chime in and give me some help here. I am entering a tournament in lake tahoe in november and i want to get stronger by that time im about 5'7 150. what on and off ice training/excersies can i do to gain more strength, shot power, and skating endurance,agility, and speed?

Thanks in adavance

(I apologize if there are other threads like this)
Run or other cardio and push ups are great. Question for you though. Where exactly is the tournament? Reason I am asking is that there is a huge difference between 4000' above sea level and 7,000'. When I lived in the Bay Area I played both in Reno and in the old Olympic rink in Squaw Valley. When I played in Reno the altitude wasn't so much an issue but at Squaw we would play a Sat afternoon game and then Sunday afternoon. If I went up Sat the Sat game was fine but the Sun game was brutal. My lungs felt like peas and the lactic acid in my legs was really bad. I gather from the "209" that you are in the Stockton area and if so there isn't much you can do for training for the altitude except to get in extra good shape. I would suggest some sort of thigh and calf work. Maybe bike up hill if you can and calf raises. Also carb load before you play at altitude and it will help.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Thepandamancan

Find a nice, competitive game of ball hockey near you. I can't even begin to tell you how great that is for conditioning.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:08 AM
AvDog

Here's a post I did about hockey fitness: http://slapshotsandchipshots.com/201...u-need-it-all/

There's a link in there to Weiss Tech Hockey which is a site I love for training ideas and basics of the game.

AvDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 02:37 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Go to a public skate session during a relatively unoccupied time. Work on suicides in skates, without a stick. Then work on your backwards skating and general crossovers/agility drills.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote