HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign F Bill Sweatt to 3-Year ELC, $900k per ($300k bonuses) Deal

Old
08-22-2010, 11:15 AM
cc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I agree with this.

Hawks fans seem to think the Hawks invested a lot in Sweatt... but they didn't... Sweatt was never on their AHL affiliate and was never developed by the Hawks.

I don't know if this was Sweatt's decision or the Hawks, but even if Sweatt decided to play out his NCAA career to finish school then Hawks should have been fine with a max ELC on a 38th overall pick who would be on their farm club regardless...
Did he attend any of their prospect camps? They probably did a little for his development.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:28 AM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc View Post
Did he attend any of their prospect camps? They probably did a little for his development.
If he did he paid for it himself or he would have been booted from college hockey. I'm sure he would have benefited from coaching and advice but I would doubt there was a serious amount of one on one attention paid to him. Some resources were spent on him but not a great deal and ultimately the Hawks knew every step of the way that whatever they spent on his development may result in nothing.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Leafs got Mueller, solid pick up. .....but but but Leafs could have had Mueller and Sweatt....
that's true but Nucks/Gillis could have had Mueller and Sweatt too....

Leafs signed one we signed the other. Both teams should be happy.
Any team can use more prospects. The thing is, some teams need them more than others - particularly rebuilding teams. It all depends on how you want to use up your 50 contract limit.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Any team can use more prospects. The thing is, some teams need them more than others - particularly rebuilding teams. It all depends on how you want to use up your 50 contract limit.
But . . . but . . . the Leafs have the 6th best prospect pool in the league!

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Sweatt drama isn't even a drama.

A bunch of crazy leaf fans gettting annoyed over trading for UFA negotiating rights and that player walking away.

A bunch of crazy canucks fans trying to make it out to be some massive blow to Leafs/Burke.

Leafs got Mueller, solid pick up. .....but but but Leafs could have had Mueller and Sweatt....
that's true but Nucks/Gillis could have had Mueller and Sweatt too....

Leafs signed one we signed the other. Both teams should be happy.
For Burke the situation hearkens back to the Umberger brouhaha and Umberger's pending UFA status. It was never a question of Kesler or Umberger - the Canucks could have had both. It is painfully obvious that you do not play hardball with a draft rights player who has the option of unrestricted free agency but Burke does not seem to know when to pick his spots.

Signing Umberger and Kesler would have solidified the middle for the Canucks for the past 5 years. But Burkie had to be Burkie and blow up the Umberger negotiations. And then try to throw the blame on the player and agent by twisting the facts. Does that sound familiar???

Whenever it is time to get serious and get down to brass tacks negotiating Burke has an uncanny knack of throwing gasoline on the fire. He sacrifices the good of the team for a sound byte time after time. Colourful but also counter-productive.

Compare that to the negotiating style of Mike Gillis. The Sundin negotiations... then Gillis stayed the course with the Sedins right up to the 11th hour - he never personalized the process and kept the emotions ratcheted down. In the result he locked up two core players. Why unilaterally back yourself into a corner?

As I said at the time the Canucks elected to not extend Burke's contract as GM (a sound move IMHO) - farewell to the Mouth That Roared and may he never darken the doors of Canucks organization again.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismuth View Post
Neither team's fans will ever be happy.
The Canucks no longer have Burkie as GM - I am deliriously happy.

Old
08-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
The Leafs had three slide contracts on the books - more Burke bafflegab.

Old
08-22-2010, 01:58 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc View Post
I posted a link on this earlier. Yes, he did and a lot of the Hawks posters really liked him. From 2009...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Billy Sweatt is a solid player. He's a great skater and is surprisingly physical. His hands need a bit of work, but he looked good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gardner View Post
Definitely agree about Sweatt. One of the best skaters out there today - this was even more noticeable in the cone drills they did before the scrimmage. And you're right about the physical side. He wasn't exactly inflicting damage out there but he was not shy about going for the hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Sweatt - one of the areas of concern for me was if Sweatt would bring any physical edge. In one of his college games I did see (CC vs Minnesota - Stoa), Sweatt was hitting everything. Didn't score but wasn't shy about using his body which was very encouraging.
Quote:
Billy Sweatt: He's a terrific skater. He was a hard worker on the ice and was always around the puck. He didn't look too big but wasn't afraid to throw his body around. He had some good chances but didn't finish any of them. His hands need some more work. He definitely has some top 6 potential though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Sweatt was probably the best player on the ice today, uses his speed well and he works hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gardner View Post
Good call - today was definitely Sweatt's best. He was finally able to make some plays with his speed, though he did still have some turnovers. I think he had a goal. This camp has been my first time seeing him live and everyday I've been impressed by his willingness to hit people and battle.
Quote:
Agreed. Sweatt is not the biggest guy out there, but boy can he can fly. He plays with great determination in all facets of the game. He likes to dig his nose in the corners and fight for the puck which is great. I liked his drives to the net, but he needs to work on his hands a bit. He lost the puck more than a few times trying to dangle. Sweatt is a good player with above average intangibles. He might have some top 6 potential.
Quote:
Sweatt scored an soft goal that was created by his speed/hard work. Puck was dumped in, he was the first one to it with his speed. Took a hit along the boards and skated out in front of the net before firing a very average wrister on net that any decent AHL gumper would've had. Also had a penalty shot breakaway that he shot directly into the goalies blocker. Reminds me of Skille a lot. Going again tomorrow, free parking + free tickets is a winning combo.
Quote:
Sweatt was again working really hard and throwing his body around but had absolutely no finish around the net. Made a nice pass that somebody should've converted on but went wide. He may be a fourth line mucker with serious wheels at the NHL level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerAmonteSeabrook View Post
I took a couple of short videos while at last Tuesday's prospect camp:

Sweatt at the 1 minute mark.

I agree with MS. TBH, a comparable would be like McNally doing his 4 years at Harvard and then deciding, to test Free Agency. As the drafting club, i'd be a little miffed. You may not have invested a lot in the way of material goods - putting them up for developmental camp, but undoubtedly, there are scouts who have to keep track of players and their development - like Gagner would keep in touch with them. You've invested intangibles [time, interest, advice], plus a pick. But if we got decent return in a trade, it'd pretty much offset the slight annoyance from the miff..

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
I'm more amazed we finished in 8th with Ron Delorme on the scouting staff. That's a pretty big handicap to start with.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:22 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
They went from something line 27th to 6th in a year... and their prospect pool is actually very shallow.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I agree with MS. TBH, a comparable would be like McNally doing his 4 years at Harvard and then deciding, to test Free Agency. As the drafting club, i'd be a little miffed. You may not have invested a lot in the way of material goods - putting them up for developmental camp, but undoubtedly, there are scouts who have to keep track of players and their development - like Gagner would keep in touch with them. You've invested intangibles [time, interest, advice], plus a pick. But if we got decent return in a trade, it'd pretty much offset the slight annoyance from the miff..
OTOH Sweatt is simply taking advantage of what the CBA allows. He had no say in who drafted him and he owes the drafting team (and the Leafs who obtained him pending his UFA status) nothing.

The Hawks made an error not signing him last year - recall how Nonis worked hard to sign Schneider before his final year at Boston College because after his final year why would he not wait a couple of non-hockey months and test the free agent market.

Letting a college player play to the end of his graduating class year just is poor asset management. Players wait seven years to get to UFA normally, why throw away this chance? Drafted players seldom have any leverage, when you have it use it.

Beside Burkie made the decision easy by pulling the offer.

Old
08-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
They went from something line 27th to 6th in a year... and their prospect pool is actually very shallow.
That jump makes no sense at all.

Old
08-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Scurr

I like the sound of Sweatt. Pencilling in Hansen was scaring me, but having Sweatt as another option helps. I'd rather roll with Hansen or Sweatt then someone like Chimera.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I like the sound of Sweatt. Pencilling in Hansen was scaring me, but having Sweatt as another option helps. I'd rather roll with Hansen or Sweatt then someone like Chimera.
Gillis seems to be of the view that signing players with smarts, speed and good work ethic in quantity while working with them should result in at least some making The Show - just playing the odds.

And the addition of Glenn Carnegie (who started out working with the Moose) as a dedicated skills coach to work with Canucks and Moose players has been a very good move.

The historical Canucks strategy of drafting a player and then doing little to help his development has gone by the board in favour of the Detroit Red Wings model. Something that Nonis and Tambellini implemented and Gillis has taken to the next level.

Old
08-22-2010, 04:31 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
OTOH Sweatt is simply taking advantage of what the CBA allows. He had no say in who drafted him and he owes the drafting team (and the Leafs who obtained him pending his UFA status) nothing.

The Hawks made an error not signing him last year - recall how Nonis worked hard to sign Schneider before his final year at Boston College because after his final year why would he not wait a couple of non-hockey months and test the free agent market.

Letting a college player play to the end of his graduating class year just is poor asset management. Players wait seven years to get to UFA normally, why throw away this chance? Drafted players seldom have any leverage, when you have it use it.

Beside Burkie made the decision easy by pulling the offer.
Yes, he has his own choice, but are you saying fans wouldn't be a tad upset if McNally or any one of our other college players pulled the same thing?

If you don't think so, it'd be some form of denial or delusion. No player has any say in who drafts them. If Duchene didn't get his favorite team in 2009, do you think he would refuse a contract from a team that drafted him? Using your words, he owes them nothing. Would Tavares have chosen the NYI, if he had a choice? Its a moot point.

And if i remember correctly, the Hawks have been trying to get him out of College for some time at least since last offseason. It was only this year that he showed any inclination that he would not be signing with them. It was no error or mismanagement.

And i'd even say they did a good job of getting some value back for him.

Last edited by thefeebster: 08-22-2010 at 04:37 PM.
thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Gillis seems to be of the view that signing players with smarts, speed and good work ethic in quantity while working with them should result in at least some making The Show - just playing the odds.

And the addition of Glenn Carnegie (who started out working with the Moose) as a dedicated skills coach to work with Canucks and Moose players has been a very good move.

The historical Canucks strategy of drafting a player and then doing little to help his development has gone by the board in favour of the Detroit Red Wings model. Something that Nonis and Tambellini implemented and Gillis has taken to the next level.
This is something that isn't talked about nearly enough. I remember hearing an interview with Steve Nash where he was asked about how he seems to get better with age. His answer was that he always spends his offseason trying to get better while most pros just spend the offseason working out. I've seen this with various guys I know that have tried to make it in hockey. They skate a little in the offseason, but mostly just work out and try to get in great shape. Being in great shape is obviously really important in todays game, but they should all be trying to get better every offseason. If you spend your offseason improving your shot, puck skills, faceoffs, passing etc, combined with all the work you put in during the season you can make huge gains in a couple/three seasons. Kesler/Raymond/Burrows/The Sedins are all evidence of this, although I wish the Sedins would spend a little more of their offseason on their shots.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
metric

http://twitter.com/billysweatt/status/21856405407
Quote:
Skated with the Big Bro earlier today.... pretty early morning skate at 9:45... went very well... watch out for Lee's 1-timer at camp
I've seen a few clips of Lee's one-timers on YouTube, I'm definitely intrigued to see what he can do. Something like Ryan Ellis, tiny but can shoot it.

Edit:
Quote:
Anyone want to play #NHL09 on PS3?
Nice down to earth guy

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
I've seen a few clips of Lee's one-timers on YouTube, I'm definitely intrigued to see what he can do. Something like Ryan Ellis, tiny but can shoot it.
Given he's a RH'ed shot, and the uncertainty surrounding Bieksa and Salo, he could find himself with an outside shot at being in the opening line-up. Seems a bit like Brian Rafalski. Small, offensively gifted defenseman that had to go to Europe and have some success before getting a chance in North America. Let's hope he can be even half as good as Rafalski.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Unless I've missed someone, Sweatt and Tanev are the RH shots among the prospects, and they might have a slight inside track, other things being (almost) equal.

Old
08-22-2010, 05:24 PM
timw33

Quote:
Unless I've missed someone, Sweatt and Tanev are the RH shots among the prospects, and they might have a slight inside track, other things being (almost) equal.
Need to start adding L. or B. in front of Sweatt before it starts getting confusing.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:26 PM
metric

B. Sweatt confirmed he will be at the Young Stars tournament

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Need to start adding L. or B. in front of Sweatt before it starts getting confusing.
Maybe just LS and BS?

Old
08-22-2010, 05:44 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
B. Sweatt confirmed he will be at the Young Stars tournament
This young stars tournament is going to have some pretty impressive rosters, especially with the Oilers new influx of prospects. Should be some pretty high scoring games.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Yes, he has his own choice, but are you saying fans wouldn't be a tad upset if McNally or any one of our other college players pulled the same thing?

If you don't think so, it'd be some form of denial or delusion. No player has any say in who drafts them. If Duchene didn't get his favorite team in 2009, do you think he would refuse a contract from a team that drafted him? Using your words, he owes them nothing. Would Tavares have chosen the NYI, if he had a choice? Its a moot point.

And if i remember correctly, the Hawks have been trying to get him out of College for some time at least since last offseason. It was only this year that he showed any inclination that he would not be signing with them. It was no error or mismanagement.

And i'd even say they did a good job of getting some value back for him.
Fans get upset about things all the time that really are not of concern - this is one of them.

You can make a compelling argument that the draft unfairly ties a player to a team over which he has no control and it is done through an agreement under a CBA to which he was not party to as an NHLPA member.

So he is simply using the provisions of that same CBA to his advantage.

It would be like a law school grad being told he could only go to work for McCarthy Tetrault because they held his rights.

If this were a CHL player he would just be going back into the draft.

Old
08-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Slapshot_11

Sweatt really likes to use twitter

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote