HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign F Bill Sweatt to 3-Year ELC, $900k per ($300k bonuses) Deal

Old
08-28-2010, 12:22 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Here, they were 23rd in the spring 09 rankings:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._rankings2130/

But hey, they deserve that huge jump, because Tyler Bozak is completely different from Matt Stajan, Kyle Wellwood, Alexander Steen, and every other mediocre Leaf forward that pumped up their numbers by getting a bunch of playing time they wouldn't have gotten anywhere else.
Uh huh!

I knew there was something in the 20's. Cheers!

Also I am Sweatty.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 05:17 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Sweatt is awesome.

@Ryan_Kesler. I look forward to trying my best to make your team and help your win your 1st of many Stanley Cups! You are a great player!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltjT25GyXTM

I hope he's right. (about Kesler winning many Cups)

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 09:30 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
When did we do any of this stuff under Nonis?

I remember Schneider being interviewed at the 2006 WJCs in Vancouver and saying he'd had something like 1 conversation with the Canucks since they drafted him 18 months earlier. It was really shocking.

Nonis didn't seem to have a clue how to run a development system. Pretty much everything positive that's happened has happened under Gillis and Gillis only.
Such as?!?!?!

Really what has Gillis done that is so awesome in the way of development. Hodgson? It could be argued that Gillis's team has been more detrimental than helpful.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind the way the team is heading under
Gillis but Nonis did a decent job here as well IMVHO.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:02 PM
JonnyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Such as?!?!?!

Really what has Gillis done that is so awesome in the way of development. Hodgson? It could be argued that Gillis's team has been more detrimental than helpful.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind the way the team is heading under
Gillis but Nonis did a decent job here as well IMVHO.
Convincing KCON and SCHROEDER to leave college. Allowing coho to stay in ontario to get developed. (imagine how schneiders development path would have been if he had have left college early.)

Hired Gagner to replace Smyl, and giving the prospects the option of staying back east to develop (ala Coho)

Hiring a bunch of "ologists" to give the prospects all the tools they need to succeed

Developing a larger prospect tourney with the other teams

Let alone.. drafting the best player available instead of some "wild card" (pat white)

etc...

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 12:31 PM
metric

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1871

SEASON
AHL SALARY
NHL SALARY
P. BONUSES
S. BONUS
CAP HIT
2010-2011$67,500$900,000$300,000$90,000$1,200,000
2011-2012$67,500$900,000$300,000$90,000$1,200,000
2012-2013$67,500$900,000$300,000$90,000$1,200,000

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 01:09 PM
VanEric

He didn't even get the max bonuses. Doesn't he know that he's supposed to be a money grubbing jerk?

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
He didn't even get the max bonuses. Doesn't he know that he's supposed to be a money grubbing jerk?
Billy needs to get an agent who knows what he is doing. Burkie was clear on that point.
Quote:
Sweatt, however, declined to accept the Leaf offer, and instead an angry Leaf GM Brian Burke opted to sign German prospect Marcel Mueller. Sweatt is still unsigned, and Burke blamed his agent, Scott Norton, for the failed negotations.

ďI believe a more experienced agent would have got this done,Ē he said.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...arance-at-camp

Sweatt's agent Scott Norton responded:
ďIt was a bit unfair of Brian to make it personal. Iíve been in this business 17 years and I like to think this isnít my first barbecue."

Just more of the same old, same old from Burkie. Again testosterone overwhelms brains. RJ Umberger - Part Deux.

When have Vancouver fans seen this movie before? Attack the agent, attack the player, misrepresent what went on...

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Billy needs to get an agent who knows what he is doing. Burkie was clear on that point.

ďIt was a bit unfair of Brian to make it personal. Iíve been in this business 17 years and I like to think this isnít my first barbecue."

Just more of the same old, same old from Burkie. Again testosterone overwhelms brains. RJ Umberger - Part Deux.

When have Vancouver fans seen this movie before? Attack the agent, attack the player, misrepresent what went on...
Is it really that hard for Burke to comprehend a player might not want to go to his dump of a franchise that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in half a decade and probably won't get there for at least another 2 or 3 years, minimum?

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Is it really that hard for Burke to comprehend a player might not want to go to his dump of a franchise that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in half a decade and probably won't get there for at least another 2 or 3 years, minimum?
But, but, but... every player wants to play in TO.

Old
08-29-2010, 04:37 PM
VanEric

Toronto and Montreal are similar in a way. If the teams are doing well, lots of guys will go there. If the team looks like crap, it's the last place you want to go.

How would you like to be Kris Versteeg this year? You're going from kinda hiding on a deep Chicago team and being under the radar to being the Leafs big forward acquisition of the off-season.

Old
08-29-2010, 06:36 PM
timw33

Quote:

Yeah, blame the agent who got his client a 1.2M/YR contract.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Yeah, blame the agent who got his client a 1.2M/YR contract.
Burkie would have done better given his couple of years experience as a player agent. Probably as good an agent as a litigator as he clearly showed in the Krutov arbitration.

This is a great contract for a second round draft pick negotiated by Scott Norton. Looks like Sweatt is the best paid second rounder from 2007 as far as I can tell.

Old
08-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Ernie

So, to sum things up, Burke tried to bully Scott Norton, and when he failed, bluster bluster bluster.

Yup, about par for the course. My only wonder is that there are still agents in this league that want to do business with Burke.

I suppose you always know where you stand with him, at least. Cause he won't shut up about it.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

edit

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 08-29-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:41 PM
VanEric

This is what you get when you google 'Scott Norton':

Probably not the same guy.

Old
08-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
This is what you get when you google 'Scott Norton':

Probably not the same guy.
Unlikely:

If you check out "Brian Burke" this would seem a likely result:

Old
08-29-2010, 07:53 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Yup, about par for the course. My only wonder is that there are still agents in this league that want to do business with Burke.
****** don't knock you back because you are ugly

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Gberg

Quote:

Are you saying he purposely didn't sign with Toronto because they haven't been successful lately? If anything, he should have more ice time, and hence, a better opportunity to play with the Leafs, and a chance to earn his 1.2 million.

Guaranteed he's not going to be with the big club the entire year, 15 games I'm guessing.

What you're guessing at is pretty stupid btw, I hate players like Blake Wheeler that refuse to sign with the team that drafted you (I treat RFAs in a similar boat). By your logic, no one would ever sign with Florida.. unless apparently they all choose to sign there because of the lovely weather.

Also, I'm sure Burke offered 1.2+mil as well.

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Burkie would have done better given his couple of years experience as a player agent. Probably as good an agent as a litigator as he clearly showed in the Krutov arbitration.
Wait, are you actually saying Ray Staszak wasn't going to be the next Wayne Gretzky?

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:58 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
At Sweatts current $900,000-$1,200,000 he probably won't get there for at least another 2 or 3 years (ie taking a NHL roster spot on the Canucks that is).

A rookie at 900K+ has to beat out guy like Hansen and even Torres for spot and that are cheaper (and then there are the 500-600k guys on the 4th line). The nucks aren't going to have much space left any of the next 2-3 years, Sweatt is paid 3rd line money and will struggle to take a 4th line spot at that salary rate. And to top it off he only got a his signing bonus to show for it, guess he wanted the bigger signing bonus (bigger base) even though it might mean more time in the minors on a weak salary.

Last edited by me2: 08-30-2010 at 01:11 AM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:01 AM
Cogburn

Quote:

Burke is in business for himself. The guy pisses off players, fans and the community, and seems to think his team, which ever it is at the time, is the single most important franchise in the history of the sport, and all other teams and personnel are meant to serve him. I am glad he is as far away from the Canucks as can be reasonably expected, and I hope Leaf fans that are reading this are prepared for a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG rebuild with him in charge.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:07 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg View Post
Are you saying he purposely didn't sign with Toronto because they haven't been successful lately? If anything, he should have more ice time, and hence, a better opportunity to play with the Leafs, and a chance to earn his 1.2 million.

Guaranteed he's not going to be with the big club the entire year, 15 games I'm guessing.

What you're guessing at is pretty stupid btw, I hate players like Blake Wheeler that refuse to sign with the team that drafted you (I treat RFAs in a similar boat). By your logic, no one would ever sign with Florida.. unless apparently they all choose to sign there because of the lovely weather.

Also, I'm sure Burke offered 1.2+mil as well.
The Leafs didnt draft Sweatt. Burke obviously has this massive ego and it once again got in the way.

God knows why you guys continue to defend his stupidity.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:35 AM
timw33

Quote:

This is a great contract for a second round draft pick negotiated by Scott Norton. Looks like Sweatt is the best paid second rounder from 2007 as far as I can tell.
Oh easily the highest paid 2nd rounder so far, but only because he became a UFA.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:39 AM
metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
The Leafs didnt draft Sweatt. Burke obviously has this massive ego and it once again got in the way.

God knows why you guys continue to defend his stupidity.
Considering the guy doesn't even know who drafted Sweatt, despite it being so well documented, then I can't take anything they say seriously.

As for Leafs fans, they did have to put up with JFJ for five years and it's only been a little under 2 years of Burke so the honeymoon isn't over just yet. But his 2 years have really been nothing to call home about.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg View Post
or B- sign with Toronto, young team with loads of potential ice time.
Didn't Burke withdraw his offer before Sweatt had a chance to decline the Leafs offer (because he wanted to sign another prospect?)?

In any event, the Leafs have openings in their top six (which isn't where Sweatt is projected to be). Canucks have the opposite problem (questions around their bottom six).

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 08-30-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote