HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign F Bill Sweatt to 3-Year ELC, $900k per ($300k bonuses) Deal

Old
08-20-2010, 03:48 PM
coastal_nuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Not much like Raymond. Raymond has good puck skills and a terrific shot. I'd probably compare him to Helm. Tremendous speed, good instincts, offensive production all based around speed (average shot, not great hands).
If he turns out to be anything like Helm, I would be ecstatic! Helm has a fairly good set of hands though from the highlights I have seen of him (I know that this is not the best indicator of his ordinary play).

coastal_nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Meganuck*

Doesnt this remind you of that Simpsons episode when Shelbyville steals the lemon tree? Then Homer & Gang take it and the old Shelbyville guy is like "It was a great day in Shelbyville when the lemon tree was gone. Because it was cursed!"

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:55 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
From the scouting reports he does not seem to have the offensive skill set of Raymond but already has good defensive skills (certainly better than Raymond as rookie). He could shape up to be good on the PK.
He's probably like Raymond except the difference between his hands + legs is much bigger. Raymond, when he first came up, really didn't have good hands and last year his hands finally started to catch up to his leg. Sweatt based on scouting reports seem to have even worst hands and even better wheels so it might take forever for those hands to catch up...

That said, getting a prospect who could end up being a decent 3rd liner that should draw a ton of penalties (with his speed) is always nice. Raymond did that very well even while not producing when he was a rookie and i expect Sweatt to do the same if he's in the line-up.

As for the argument of Burke signing so many UFA prospect... don't forget he also ended up offering them more money and so far all of them have been iffy. Bozak looked good in the 1/3 of the season he played but is by no means a steal with his cap hit and his age. I doubt any GM wanted to offer him the max ELC. As for the monster, he picked the place where he had a chance of playing... and no team really has a worst goalie situation (heading into last year) than the Leafs. He was virtually guaranteed a spot (as backup) and would have a good chance to fight to be the starter. I guess that's the advantage of being in a big market with a bad team. UFA will see it as a opportunity to play and make what they would make elsewhere. With the prospect pools the Leafs have, lack of 1st round picks, and really not looking like a contender in the near future, i wouldn't be surprised if UFAs from the NCAA keep heading there for a payday and a chance to play then leave when they are UFA either because they are not good enough or to actually play in the playoffs.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Slapshot_11

Sounds more like Hansen than Raymond

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 04:07 PM
windflare

Helm is a hell of a forechecker, as well as great at hounding and protecting the puck. Sort of like Hansen, but better.

We'll see where Sweatt is, but he's probably a bit more like a smaller version of Hansen.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Doesnt this remind you of that Simpsons episode when Shelbyville steals the lemon tree? Then Homer & Gang take it and the old Shelbyville guy is like "It was a great day in Shelbyville when the lemon tree was gone. Because it was cursed!"
Wasn't it haunted?

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 04:22 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Nevermind that. Now let's all celebrate the occasion with a nice glass of turnip juice.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
He's probably like Raymond except the difference between his hands + legs is much bigger. Raymond, when he first came up, really didn't have good hands and last year his hands finally started to catch up to his leg. Sweatt based on scouting reports seem to have even worst hands and even better wheels so it might take forever for those hands to catch up...
Raymond and Kesler have both made huge strides as far as puck skills go. If the kid is willing to work at it as hard as they have, there is no reason he can't make huge strides too. It's really amazing how far those two have come over the last couple seasons, they've obviously put a tonne of work in.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 05:09 PM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
He is listed at 6' 180 lbs but he looks to have frame that would fill out around 200 lbs. The weakness identified was that he needed to bulk up and get stronger so he was better able to fight through checks.
When we signed Lee, I read an article somewhere about his father, who was (I believe) a Div 1 Linebacker. That part of the article was brought up referencing Lee's thick frame, and how he likely inherited it from his father...

At 6' and 180 pounds, he's smaller at this point, but with a father that was supposedly a big thick guy, and Lee going 5'8" and 195 pounds, I would think Bill will not have a problem filling out at all.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post

That said, getting a prospect who could end up being a decent 3rd liner that should draw a ton of penalties (with his speed) is always nice. Raymond did that very well even while not producing when he was a rookie and i expect Sweatt to do the same if he's in the line-up.

As for the argument of Burke signing so many UFA prospect... don't forget he also ended up offering them more money and so far all of them have been iffy. Bozak looked good in the 1/3 of the season he played but is by no means a steal with his cap hit and his age. I doubt any GM wanted to offer him the max ELC. As for the monster, he picked the place where he had a chance of playing... and no team really has a worst goalie situation (heading into last year) than the Leafs. He was virtually guaranteed a spot (as backup) and would have a good chance to fight to be the starter. I guess that's the advantage of being in a big market with a bad team. UFA will see it as a opportunity to play and make what they would make elsewhere. With the prospect pools the Leafs have, lack of 1st round picks, and really not looking like a contender in the near future, i wouldn't be surprised if UFAs from the NCAA keep heading there for a payday and a chance to play then leave when they are UFA either because they are not good enough or to actually play in the playoffs.
It's pretty easy to sign UFA prospects when your team sucks ass and your organization in general is pretty weak and thin in certain areas.

The biggest thing the Leafs give these players is an opportunity to play in the NHL sooner than most other franchises would.

I wonder how many players would be signing with them had they had a pretty solid NHL roster.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 05:38 PM
StrictlyCommercial

I wonder if Sweatt is friends with Fredheim as well...

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Are there infractions for bad puns? If so...

Basic rule in the "New NHL" - you cannot teach speed.

He is listed at 6' 180 lbs but he looks to have frame that would fill out around 200 lbs. The weakness identified was that he needed to bulk up and get stronger so he was better able to fight through checks. If he can do that then he seems to have the tools to be a third line energy guy. The Canucks have had some success in helping speed players add bulk and strength while not sacrificing speed in Raymond and Grabner.
Haha, the guy actually pulls the Mason Raymond special 'one-hand' poke around the pinching defenseman at around 2:22.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I wonder if Sweatt is friends with Fredheim as well...
Probably, since they played together for four years I believe.

Sweatt and Schroeder will certainly be very aware of each other as WCHA opponents, if not from having a connection with the USNDP.

This NCAA influx is giving me the Sweatts!

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

To me, he sounds like Richard Park. Which isn't a bad thing at all given our lack of bottom-six forward in the system right now.

But I haven't seen him play so this is an uninformed opinion.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 06:50 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
The party line from the Leafs was that after signing Mueller, there was no contract slot for Sweatt. Zigomanis and Crabb were signed shortly after Mueller, so, yes, there were contract slots.

Also, Jeff Tambellini, at age 26, is probably the closest thing to an "aging forward with no chance of making the big club" that the Canucks have under contract. Maybe Joel Perrault at 27. But you're welcome to look for one, if you'd really like to.
No contract slot for Sweatt, as in nothing for a prospect, in that pay level. It was Mueller, or Sweatt. Sweatt decided he wanted too much money, so the Leafs went elsewhere, and I think made the better choice, despite the fact their hand was somewhat forced in that direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
There's no aging forwards on the Moose... except maybe Perreault at 27... There's Rosa... but he's on only an AHL contract. Even on D the only vet really is Baumgartner.
Every team carries forwards on their affiliate, that are there for nothing more than veteran leadership, and scoring depth. Perreault would be one, so would Baumgartner, and Rosa. Despite position, every team has these players. Not every player on your AHL roster is a legit prospect. This is pretty common knowledge.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 06:55 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Every team carries forwards on their affiliate, that are there for nothing more than veteran leadership, and scoring depth. Perreault would be one, so would Baumgartner, and Rosa. Despite position, every team has these players. Not every player on your AHL roster is a legit prospect. This is pretty common knowledge.
No doubt, but the Moose are going away from carrying too many vets as they have run into problems with it in the past, thus the forcing out of Mike Keane this offseason.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
No contract slot for Sweatt, as in nothing for a prospect, in that pay level. It was Mueller, or Sweatt. Sweatt decided he wanted too much money, so the Leafs went elsewhere, and I think made the better choice, despite the fact their hand was somewhat forced in that direction.
Yet another Brian Burke myth. That was exploded on the main board.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Yet another Brian Burke myth. That was exploded on the main board.
Dont they have 48 and not 50 contracts right now?

Old
08-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Jay Gold, on Twitter, who has shown to have legit ins with agents, reports Sweatt deal as a 2-way contract, for 1 year, worth 500k. Pretty much the perfect deal for Vancouver. So no, his saying no to Toronto and Chicago was certainly not for monetary reasons.

http://twitter.com/Jay_Gold_/status/21679846586

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:20 PM
thefeebster

Wow, several reporting that on twitter too. Probably just RT Gold's though.

I wholeheartedly take back thinking that there might have been a tiny bit of selfishness/arrogance there. From May until yesterday, i truly thought he was holding out for more money like most everyone else, but i think this solidifies the conclusion that he knew where he wanted to go - to his brother - when he finished college.

If Burke offered the ELC max of $900K and he took $500... thats some crazy dedication and bond to his brother.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Wow, several reporting that on twitter too. Probably just RT Gold's though.

I wholeheartedly take back thinking that there might have been a tiny bit of selfishness/arrogance there. From May until yesterday, i truly thought he was holding out for more money like most everyone else, but i think this solidifies the conclusion that he knew where he wanted to go - to his brother - when he finished college.

If Burke offered the ELC max of $900K and he took $500... thats some crazy dedication and bond to his brother.
Gillis is probably a pretty good salesman as well.

Old
08-20-2010, 08:25 PM
cc

well, now I really hope he succeeds someday.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:29 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Gillis is probably a pretty good salesman as well.
I'm sure car salesmen around the lower mainland are flocking to his door right now.

However, i'm still a bit hesitant. This contract would not be applicable to ELC rules.

Quote:
Players under age 25 as of September 15 in the calendar year their first NHL contract is signed are subject to the terms of Article 9 and must sign an entry-level contract (ELC). This means the amount of salary and team-paid performance bonuses is capped, depending on his draft year or the year he signs. The length of the ELC is also specified based on the player’s age, and may not be modified for any reason.

Age Length of ELC
18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25+ Not Subject

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

I've honestly never heard of Marcel Mueller until he became the second coming of Christ in Toronto. The Laff fan psychology is hilarious how they attach themseleves to lousy prospects and honestly will debate their merit on the boards. Robbie Earl, Jerry D'Amigo, Dale Mitchell, Jimmy Haynes, and now Marcel Mueller. For a team that's supposedly to be under a youth movement, they don't really have a lot of talented youth. It must suck to be a Leafs fan, it's fun to make fun of them and all... but I think they're reaching a point of actual psychological damage with all of this.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
I've honestly never heard of Marcel Mueller until he became the second coming of Christ in Toronto. The Laff fan psychology is hilarious how they attach themseleves to lousy prospects and honestly will debate their merit on the boards. Robbie Earl, Jerry D'Amigo, Dale Mitchell, Jimmy Haynes, and now Marcel Mueller. For a team that's supposedly to be under a youth movement, they don't really have a lot of talented youth. It must suck to be a Leafs fan, it's fun to make fun of them and all... but I think they're reaching a point of actual psychological damage with all of this.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/nhl_organisation_rankings/

Leafs #6 out of 30 teams in prospects. Even ahead of the Canucks.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote