HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Canucks sign F Bill Sweatt

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2010, 06:56 PM
TMLeafer
Rebuilding

vCash: 500
Will be interesting to see how he works out. He has no chance of cracking the Canucks top lines (or any line for that matter). It was either money or wanting to play with his brother.

Maybe the Canucks tampered and told him to go to free agency so he could play with his brother.

Old
08-19-2010, 06:59 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
QUOTE=None Shall Pass;27451416]It's the summer, we all have a sweatty pair.[/QUO

Old
08-19-2010, 07:00 PM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

I think people thinking he won't make our bottom six are being a bit pessimistic. For better or worse, our bottom six in Vancouver are wide open going into the season. Those spots are all up for grabs. Chances are he won't make it, but he has as good of a chance as he would anywhere else.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Tampering!
Brian Burke is involved. Is there such a thing as "reverse tampering"?

Old
08-19-2010, 07:01 PM
GCM
Stork

Next Sedin brothers.

Book it.

Even though one plays D.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:03 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
I think people thinking he won't make our bottom six are being a bit pessimistic. For better or worse, our bottom six in Vancouver are wide open going into the season. Those spots are all up for grabs. Chances are he won't make it, but he has as good of a chance as he would anywhere else.
I still doubt he has any real chance, this season, of cracking the bottom 6.

The 3rd line will likey be Hodgson- Malhotra and someone... maybe Hansen or a bigger UFA...

I don't see the Canucks putting Sweatt on the 4th line unless he has an unbelievable camp as we have Glass, Rypien, Hordichuk, Oreskovich all batteling for those wing spots right now...

Sweatt needs some pro developement.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:04 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
You've got things backwards my friend.... it was the agent that screwed up.... Burke offered Sweatt's party a very enticing offer, and they declined it.

We got Mueller instead...

Their loss, our gain.
Only a Leaf fan could possibly believe that losing a prospect they traded for and getting nothing in return could be someone else's loss, and the Maple Leafs' gain.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:06 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Only a Leaf fan could possibly believe that losing a prospect they traded for and getting nothing in return could be someone else's loss, and the Maple Leafs' gain.
Or, we're too close to the contract limit, and can only get one of them...

Old
08-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
wow this is a great post, one of the best I have seen all year

I think people are being a tad to hard on the leafs tho..

Old
08-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Gustavsson, Hanson, Bozak, Mueller, Rynnas....

Trading Free agents Ponikarovsky, Stempniak, Hagman, Mayers, Stajan, Moore, Toskala....

Getting rid of Blake...

enough said.
Shot blanks on the failed Kaberle trade possibilities. P**sed away the chance to draft Seguin. Didn't get draft picks in exchange for Poni. Traded for some Flames rejects.

Did anybody mention completely misjudging his team's ability to make the 2010 playoffs?

Yer right - enough said.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Pointystick

Quote:
In fairness maybe he was saying it was the "Sweatt" party's loss not the Canucks. If he doesn't make the Canucks roster in the next year or two than ya, I can see it being his loss.

Still, as a Canucks fan I'm ecstatic that he's a part of our organization now. We were piling up too many top 6 and 4th line prospects as it was. Seems like an ideal 3rd liner in the future and I'd expect him to make our lineup before a guy like Shirokov would. Best of all we didn't really lose anything besides 1/50th of our contract max.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
I find it funny that the "agent screwed up", Sweatt obviously wanted to explore free agency and an opportunity to maybe play with his brother. His agent likely got him what he wanted. Your post is dead on though.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Ikarn Johal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
At worse the Moose get a brother combo. At best Bill could be a viable 4th liner, but probobly not this season.
I'm guessing you don't know who sweat is.
He has top 6 potential and will probably be playing on the canucks 3rd line. Putting a prospect with top 6 potential on the 4th line is as stupid as trading Phaneuf for garbage

Old
08-19-2010, 07:13 PM
DingoAteMyBaby

So far the score between Gillis and Burke 2-1 Gillis!

(Burke tries to steal the Sedins away, Gillis gets them)

(Gillis files tampering charges, Burke gets away with it)

(Gillis steals Burke's prospect from him, Gillis is laughing)

Old
08-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Cogburn

I am tempted to put in more "Sweatt" jokes, but really, just happy to have more young college players filling out our ranks instead of the old school group of otherwise contract-less bums, veterans, career AHLers and prospects that didn't develop properly.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:18 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Bill Sweatt becomes a decent 2nd liner in NHL 10. That's got to mean something, right?

Old
08-19-2010, 07:19 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Brian Burke is involved. Is there such a thing as "reverse tampering"?
Toronto...Vancouver...there has to be tampering somewhere in there.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Pointystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmplate View Post

Not really accurate. Burke was at 49/50 contracts. He could have either signed Sweatt or Muller. He chose the latter.

So ya, not really accurate (as much as I like to see Burke fall on his face).

Old
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
I read it as "their" being Sweatt and his agent (since the commentary was about them), and it sounded to me like Sweatt lost out because he decided to hit FA and settle for the lowly Canucks instead of taking the offer from the mighty Leafs?

I'm curious though, how exactly did Sweatt lose out on anything here... sounds to me like he planned to sign with Vancouver all along, and why not? if you're not going to make the NHL, playing on the farm with his brother is probably a better incentive than playing on any other random AHL team, especially when the contracts are likely to be all in the same range given the ELC restriction.

and with the Canucks, while their top end is locked up long-term, their bottom-6 has little depth on the pro or farm levels. Even their top prospects all seem to be top-6 type players. The Canucks LW depth on the farm isn't all that great either, and Sweatt does have a shot to make the team in the next couple years... just because he picked the Canucks doesn't necessarily mean he's any further from making the NHL than if he had picked a lower ranked team like the Leafs.

Old
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Anyway,

As best I understand it Sweatt and his agent were playing hard ball in Chicago. When Burke made the Versteeg trade he said "hey why don't you throw him" Bruke offered him a fairly standard ELC but his agent wanted more (additional performance bonuses and ice time guarantees, etc.) and Burke said no. The agent start 'threatening' free agency and Burke said have fun and withdrew the offer.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 08-19-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: removed remark
Old
08-19-2010, 07:22 PM
JuniorNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmplate View Post

What about Gillis pretends Bieksa is in play to muddy the Kaberle waters? That was a good one, detected by WC.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:22 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarn Johal View Post
I'm guessing you don't know who sweat is.
He has top 6 potential and will probably be playing on the canucks 3rd line. Putting a prospect with top 6 potential on the 4th line is as stupid as trading Phaneuf for garbage
He is a top 6 potential prospect that has great ability for the bottom 6. He is a feisty player, who can also be offensive. I don't mind putting him on the 3rd line or 4th line, since he tends to finish his checks. If he manages his way to the third line it's not like he's wasting offensive talent. Or our forth line, which currently looks like Perrault, Oreskovic, Rypien. (mind; Gillis has said he is looking at adding more depth) All who play very feisty and can chip in on the odd goal. When injuries arrive Sweatt has the ability to step into a 3rd line role and slowly make his way up.

Thats how he will have to make into the NHL. If he wanted a top 9 position out of the get go, he would have signed with the Leafs right away.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:23 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I read it as "their" being Sweatt and his agent (since the commentary was about them), and it sounded to me like Sweatt lost out because he decided to hit FA and settle for the lowly Canucks instead of taking the offer from the mighty Leafs?

I'm curious though, how exactly did Sweatt lose out on anything here... sounds to me like he planned to sign with Vancouver all along, and why not? if you're not going to make the NHL, playing on the farm with his brother is probably a better incentive than playing on any other random AHL team, especially when the contracts are likely to be all in the same range given the ELC restriction.

and with the Canucks, while their top end is locked up long-term, their bottom-6 has little depth on the pro or farm levels. Even their top prospects all seem to be top-6 type players. The Canucks LW depth on the farm isn't all that great either, and Sweatt does have a shot to make the team in the next couple years... just because he picked the Canucks doesn't necessarily mean he's any further from making the NHL than if he had picked a lower ranked team like the Leafs.
The usual comment is that he'd have a much better chance at making the Leafs NHL roster because we suck. Whether that's true or not, who knows.

Old
08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
The usual comment is that he'd have a much better chance at making the Leafs NHL roster because we suck. Whether that's true or not, who knows.
How is it not true?

Old
08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post

Yeah, that's what I meant. I have to wait and see the bonuses of the contract, but he likely would have received more in Toronto.

I already said its a good pickup for Vancouver.

Also, If that was Sweatt's plan, couldn't the Leafs argue that tampering was involved ...

Closed Thread