HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carey Price

Old
08-20-2010, 09:07 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

vCash: 500
Just to make things clear, the reason why Price wasn't signed before the Halak trade was becuase both goalies wouldn't have signed until one was traded, both made it clear that they want to be the number 1 goalie, and two, if Price signed before Halak being trade, Halak vaule would have been a lot lower. And the issue with contract talks with Price isn't over money its over term, reports care that the team wants a long term team, while Price wants a deal for about a year or two.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

You can sort of see Price's point. Why on Earth would a goalie confident in his abilities sign a long deal before he has established himself?

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Bettman4Retirement

If you really wanted to get Price from the habs you'd probably have to overpay, and for what? He's not even a starter. Once the playoffs were over I really thought he was done for with the habs, but I was shocked to see they traded Halak. He's young and needs some more experience so if you did trade for him, he would end up as your backup.

Bettman4Retirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:16 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettman4Retirement View Post
If you really wanted to get Price from the habs you'd probably have to overpay, and for what? He's not even a starter. Once the playoffs were over I really thought he was done for with the habs, but I was shocked to see they traded Halak. He's young and needs some more experience so if you did trade for him, he would end up as your backup.
Funny how even with a bad season, his save%, a stat which should judge goalies the worst is higher than many of the starting goalies in the league. People seem to forget that most goalies don't even become starters until 24-25, Ryan Miller had 6 NHL wins at Carey Price ages. Every young goalie is going to struggle, look at Steve Mason...

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:15 AM
ron delle

All of this Montreal signing Niemi is stupid. Niemi hid behind an iffensive machine in Chicago. I love the Habs, but they are the farthest thing from an offensive machine. If Philly is waiting for Montreal to sign Price so they can trade for him, why don't they just sign Niemi and make a trade happen. Oh...right...Meszaros is eating up 4 MILLION in cap space.

Dumbest trade of the off-season IMO.

ron delle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:12 PM
repetitivnegativ

They trade HalaK and now you're proposing that they trade their future #1 to a team inside the conference who cannot even give back a tender with half of Carey's potential? Waste of time.

repetitivnegativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:17 PM
salty justice

If Halak is worth only spare parts that means Price is worth about a 5th rounder. Less if he thinks he is worth more than $2M a season.

Even though Price is worth next to nothing I don't think he will be traded. Albeit Gauthier would be smarter to just unload Price and sign Niemi if this contract dispute goes any further.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
If Halak is worth only spare parts that means Price is worth about a 5th rounder. Less if he thinks he is worth more than $2M a season.

Even though Price is worth next to nothing I don't think he will be traded. Albeit Gauthier would be smarter to just unload Price and sign Niemi if this contract dispute goes any further.
I didn't realize that Lars Eller = spare parts.
Blues fans seem to have a different take on the value of Eller.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

Halak + Hamerlik + 2nd for Carter

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:12 PM
tizzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post
Whew! I was starting to think that i might be the only one out there that doesn't see Price as being nearly as good as most think he is! Not even a starter in my books, especially given his record last season.

Not a Habs fan, but I am still shaking my head over them letting go of Halak!

Yeah .912 Save% in 134 NHl Games at 23 years old . Clearly a backup

All he need is a bit more maturity .. it wont be long

tizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

shelley for price + cammy + 2nd

theres no earthly way montreal would consider trading price, unless they got a real starter in return. philly does not have a real starter.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:15 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
for Richards
which philly would say no too
the only way Price leaves the habs is for a massive retarded overpayment

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:20 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:

Lars Eller ( former 1st round pick, top prospect, NHL readdy) and Ian Schultz (former 3rd round pick, should be a physical force on the 3rd/4th line in a couple years) are spare parts?

It sure shows that you know what you are talking about...

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:21 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
I didn't realize that Lars Eller = spare parts.
Blues fans seem to have a different take on the value of Eller.
When Lars Eller becomes one of the best players at his position you let me know. Chances of him even making an impact in the NHL are slim and pale in comparison to what Halak has already accomplished. So yes relatively speaking he is a spare part at the moment.

Price is not as valuable as Halak, not even close. And when I say he isn't valuable I mean in reality, which Montreal management obviously doesn't live in.

Old
08-20-2010, 03:24 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
When Lars Eller becomes one of the best players at his position you let me know. Chances of him even making an impact in the NHL are slim and pale in comparison to what Halak has already accomplished. So yes relatively speaking he is a spare part at the moment.

Price is not as valuable as Halak, not even close. And when I say he isn't valuable I mean in reality, which Montreal management obviously doesn't live in.
So Lars Eller has to become one of the best players at his position for this trade to be fair from a Habs POV?

Good thing you are not the GM or we would have a 5th round pick and no starting goaltender for this coming season.

Old
08-20-2010, 03:27 PM
tizzel

People in General , not just on HF and especially Habs fans started to underestimated Price the day Halak became a God in the net.

The thing is .. Price is the same Talented kid that got picked 5th overall couple years ago , and hes getting better and better every season .
He need a clear number 1 spot to flourish , which is what he have this season

tizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:

Come on now. Kid is only 21 years old and was an excellent prospect when he was drafted.

I think he will make NHL but I do not think he is 1st line talent. 2nd -3rd line is very doable. Kid is good.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:29 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Come on now. Kid is only 21 years old and was an excellent prospect when he was drafted.

I think he will make NHL but I do not think he is 1st line talent. 2nd -3rd line is very doable. Kid is good.
The kid apparently has to be the best player at his position for this deal to be considered even from Salty's POV! So if Eller becomes as good or better than Sid the Kid then we can celebrate. Otherwise if he becomes a Johnathan Toews type of centerman then we lost this deal hands down!

Old
08-20-2010, 03:33 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post
Whew! I was starting to think that i might be the only one out there that doesn't see Price as being nearly as good as most think he is! Not even a starter in my books, especially given his record last season.

Not a Habs fan, but I am still shaking my head over them letting go of Halak!
YOU sir are extremely well informed...welcome to HF

If I can break it down for you Price lost more than half of those games with an avg. goal support of under 2...and p.s. look at other "starters" such as luongo...similar sv pct WAY different records

Records don't correlate with talent

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:34 PM
salty justice

Quote:
The kid apparently has to be the best player at his position for this deal to be considered even from Salty's POV! So if Eller becomes as good or better than Sid the Kid then we can celebrate. Otherwise if he becomes a Johnathan Toews type of centerman then we lost this deal hands down!
So in your world you are happy trading a top flight goaltender making peanuts for a prospect with 3rd line potential? And you think I'd make a poor GM?!

Eller has very little chance of being an impact NHLer, obviously he won't ever become one of the best at his position. The point I was making was that Montreal got ***** in the Halak deal and it's just going to look worse as time goes on.

Old
08-20-2010, 03:39 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
So in your world you are happy trading a top flight goaltender making peanuts for a prospect with 3rd line potential? And you think I'd make a poor GM?!

Eller has very little chance of being an impact NHLer, obviously he won't ever become one of the best at his position. The point I was making was that Montreal got ***** in the Halak deal and it's just going to look worse as time goes on.

Why does Eller have to become one of the best at his position? Why is it obvious he won't ever become one of the best at his position? Do you even understand what the term "prospect" means? It means he has potential to be a certain type of player. Eller has the potential to be a top-6 forward. Will he become one? Not sure but willing to wait to find out. It would be ignorant to write him off before he even got started.

I look forward to seeing what Eller and Schultz will bring to the table in the near future. I hope Halak plays lights out for the Blues.

Old
08-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Clipitar

Quote:

I find it quite hilarious how I keep hearing & reading "top flight goaltender" the second he gets traded away from Montreal.

Even after his lights out performances during the playoffs he was still unproven, never played a full season, potentially affected by new pad regulations, etc... But the second he gets traded, then he's unquestionably NHL top-5.

I believe we call this double standards.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:46 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Why does Eller have to become one of the best at his position? Why is it obvious he won't ever become one of the best at his position? Do you even understand what the term "prospect" means? It means he has potential to be a certain type of player. Eller has the potential to be a top-6 forward. Will he become one? Not sure but willing to wait to find out. It would be ignorant to write him off before he even got started.

The ignorant move was trading one of the best goaltenders in the league for Eller. There's no need to write him off, just as there was no need to trade a sure thing for a gamble that even if it pays off wont be worth it.

How about you trade me $100 for some penny stocks that might be worth $20 in a few years. Does that sound like a winning deal to you? I hope I can turn your lack of value comprehension into a profit just like Armstrong did to Gauthier.

Old
08-20-2010, 03:46 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
I find it quite hilarious how I keep hearing & reading "top flight goaltender" the second he gets traded away from Montreal.

Even after his lights out performances during the playoffs he was still unproven, never played a full season, potentially affected by new pad regulations, etc... But the second he gets traded, then he's unquestionably NHL top-5.

I believe we call this double standards.
Don't forget how Eller is/was a top-50 NHL prospect per HF's 2010 list. Now that he's a Hab prospect he's worth peanuts and won't amount to anything. And if he did amount to something it would have to be the equivalent to one of the best players in his position for the Halak deal to be justified.

Old
08-20-2010, 03:47 PM
bhuya71

Quote:

Don't take this personally but your word means nothing to habs fans over that of professional scouts especially when those said scouts see him as a blue chip prospect with 1st line potential and realistically a second line center that plays a solid two way game.

And yes you would make a horrible GM because you can't assess talent

p.s. nice attempt at trolling with the third line potential...you lured me in

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote