HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carey Price

Old
08-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Why does Eller have to become one of the best at his position? Why is it obvious he won't ever become one of the best at his position? Do you even understand what the term "prospect" means? It means he has potential to be a certain type of player. Eller has the potential to be a top-6 forward. Will he become one? Not sure but willing to wait to find out. It would be ignorant to write him off before he even got started.

I look forward to seeing what Eller and Schultz will bring to the table in the near future. I hope Halak plays lights out for the Blues.
Well because Halak was pretty good during ragular season and was even better in playoffs. Showing that he can become a very solid #1. Thats his point.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:48 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
The ignorant move was trading one of the best goaltenders in the league for Eller. There's no need to write him off, just as there was no need to trade a sure thing for a gamble that even if it pays off wont be worth it.

How about you trade me $100 for some penny stocks that might be worth $20 in a few years. Does that sound like a winning deal to you? I hope I can turn your lack of value comprehension into a profit just like Armstrong did to Gauthier.
I didn't realize that Halak was a clear cut consensus pick as one of the best goaltenders in the league. At the time when Habs fans were proposing trades for Halak we were ridiculed for overrating him. Now that he has been traded he is without a doubt one of the best (if not THE best) goaltenders in the league. And Carey Price is a has-been worth a 5th round pick...

hahahahahaha

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post
Whew! I was starting to think that i might be the only one out there that doesn't see Price as being nearly as good as most think he is! Not even a starter in my books, especially given his record last season.

Not a Habs fan, but I am still shaking my head over them letting go of Halak!
Thanks for proving that "your books" mean diddly squat then. Won-loss record is as much a team stat as it is a goalie stat. For ***** and giggles though, let's check Price's INDIVIDUAL stats, shall we?

2.77 GAA, .912 SV%

Well gee, those seem like pretty respectable numbers to me, but this is HFBoards after all.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:51 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Well because Halak was pretty good during ragular season and was even better in playoffs. Showing that he can become a very solid #1. Thats his point.
Yes Halak was very good in the regular season and took over the #1 spot and was very good in the playoffs. He was good for a total of 1 season. Price was very good in his first season when he unseated Huet. Then his play fell off. But because Halak was very good (and then traded) he will always be very good and never have a letdown. Eller meanwhile has no chance of being good because he's now a habs prospect.

That pretty much is the jist of what Salty is trying to say. You don't find that to smack of a guy who just hates the Habs?

Old
08-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
The ignorant move was trading one of the best goaltenders in the league for Eller. There's no need to write him off, just as there was no need to trade a sure thing for a gamble that even if it pays off wont be worth it.
Halak is now one of the best goalies in the league? He's solid, no doubt... but one of the best in the league?

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Why does Eller have to become one of the best at his position? Why is it obvious he won't ever become one of the best at his position? Do you even understand what the term "prospect" means? It means he has potential to be a certain type of player. Eller has the potential to be a top-6 forward. Will he become one? Not sure but willing to wait to find out. It would be ignorant to write him off before he even got started.

I look forward to seeing what Eller and Schultz will bring to the table in the near future. I hope Halak plays lights out for the Blues.
The thing about Eller is that he has always been kind of a project, considering the team that were to draft him would have to deal with a slower development, mainly due to the fact he wanted to stay in Europe and develop in the SEL for a couple of years,

I understand these kind of "projects" are not the most sure-shot popular prospects on these boards, but people have to realize that everything has been going according to the plan so far with Lars, and the fact he only played 7 NHL games so far doesn't make him that much less potential-filled than guys like Hamill, Couture, Sutter or Gillies that were all picked around Eller's draft spot in '07.

Anybody who thinks he can't have that much upside because of his development curve should just ask Jarmo Kekalainen how he feels about the Halak trade.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:54 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamary View Post
Halak is now one of the best goalies in the league? He's solid, no doubt... but one of the best in the league?
Didn't you hear?

Halak >>> Brodeur/Kipper/Lundquist/Luongo/Miller/Vokoun/Bryzgalov etc.

and:

Toskala/Raycroft/Boucher/Leighton/Huet/Racicot/Pogge >>> Price

Old
08-20-2010, 04:01 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Yes Halak was very good in the regular season and took over the #1 spot and was very good in the playoffs. He was good for a total of 1 season. Price was very good in his first season when he unseated Huet. Then his play fell off. But because Halak was very good (and then traded) he will always be very good and never have a letdown. Eller meanwhile has no chance of being good because he's now a habs prospect.

That pretty much is the jist of what Salty is trying to say. You don't find that to smack of a guy who just hates the Habs?
It smacks of a central division fan who is pissed about having to see Halak 6 times a season. A goalie who he can steal games single handily. We already have to see that 6 times a year in Rinne!

If Gauthier was worth his salt he would have at least acquired a nice piece from the Blues, you know an NHL player. A deal centering around Oshie would represent fair value. I'm not saying the Blues would make that move, but value-wise it's not terrible. Instead Gauthier and all of the Montreal minions continue to drink the Price kool aid. Which is fine, I couldn't care less about the Habs sticking with a sub par goaltender. But when it affects my team I am not pleased about it.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 04:04 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
It smacks of a central division fan who is pissed about having to see Halak 6 times a season. A goalie who he can steal games single handily. We already have to see that 6 times a year in Rinne!

If Gauthier was worth his salt he would have at least acquired a nice piece from the Blues, you know an NHL player. A deal centering around Oshie would represent fair value. I'm not saying the Blues would make that move, but value-wise it's not terrible. Instead Gauthier and all of the Montreal minions continue to drink the Price kool aid. Which is fine, I couldn't care less about the Habs sticking with a sub par goaltender. But when it affects my team I am not pleased about it.
LOL

So we should have gotten TJ Oshie for Halak? And now that we traded him to a team that competes in the Central division the return will never amount to anything and Halak will be a perennial Vezina winner? Meanwhile Price sucks and is worth a 5th round pick?

Old
08-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:

Everyone wants to take a shot at habs. Nothign new really. Get used to it.

imo Price can be just as good if not better. I have to say I did not expect Halak to perfomr like he did in playoffs. One thing to steal games another thing, to steal rounds against best o-sive teams. Stealing two rounds like he did. Who else did that? I can say now it's impressive.

I am can say VERY impressive now that he is not with Habs.

Old
08-20-2010, 04:08 PM
salty justice

Quote:
LOL

So we should have gotten TJ Oshie for Halak? And now that we traded him to a team that competes in the Central division the return will never amount to anything and Halak will be a perennial Vezina winner? Meanwhile Price sucks and is worth a 5th round pick?
Halak is much more likely to be in Vezina contention than Eller is going to be a top 6 forward on a playoff team. Montreal minus Halak is not a playoff team. Enjoy mediocrity for another few seasons!

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 04:08 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Everyone wants to take a shot at habs. Nothign new really. Get used to it.

imo Price can be just as good if not better. I have to say I did not expect Halak to perfomr like he did in playoffs. One thing to steal games another thing, to steal rounds against best o-sive teams. Stealing two rounds like he did. Who else did that? I can say now it's impressive.

I am can say VERY impressive now that he is not with Habs.
But Kaktus, when Halak was a Hab you weren't as impressed?

Old
08-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Clipitar

Quote:

Oshie is nice and all but at 5'11 he's exactly what we're trying to steer away from: top-6 forwards under 6'.

The only piece (not named Johnson or Pietrangelo) I would have preferred to Eller when trading Halak to St. Louis is David Backes, and we all know that wasn't going to happen.

History might prove me wrong, but strongly believe Eller's long-term upside to the Habs is greater than Oshie and even underserved local hero Perron.

Old
08-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
But Kaktus, when Halak was a Hab you weren't as impressed?
I am not repeating my self.

Old
08-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Clipitar

I guess Berglund's upside intrigues me about as much as Eller's, and is more NHL-ready, so you ca add him to the short list of other Blues players I would've been satisfied in the Halak trade.

I still prefer Eller though, but I can't say I have perfect hindsight.

Old
08-20-2010, 04:30 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
I guess Berglund's upside intrigues me about as much as Eller's, and is more NHL-ready, so you ca add him to the short list of other Blues players I would've been satisfied in the Halak trade.

I still prefer Eller though, but I can't say I have perfect hindsight.
My hindsight is not 20:20 either. I wish i could see in the future where Price and Eller are busts and Halak is a perennial Vezina winner. Some people can see the future. I can only see reality!

Old
08-20-2010, 04:31 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
I am not repeating my self.
Isn't it myself?

Old
08-20-2010, 05:05 PM
FanHabtic

Its been a while since there has been a hab related thread on these boards. BUMP

Old
08-20-2010, 05:30 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepin le bref View Post
Philly can't, they traded their 2011 1st round draft pick to acquire Pronger.
no we didnt...that trade involved our 09 and 10 1sts

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Moving Halak and Price, true.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Torgo

Quote:
Its been a while since there has been a hab related thread on these boards. BUMP
This thread needed a bump 30 minutes or so after your last post?

This thread is basically the same 3 habs fans arguing with one other guy that keeps saying Price sucks.

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:17 PM
ron delle

Quote:
So in your world you are happy trading a top flight goaltender making peanuts for a prospect with 3rd line potential? And you think I'd make a poor GM?!

Eller has very little chance of being an impact NHLer, obviously he won't ever become one of the best at his position. The point I was making was that Montreal got ***** in the Halak deal and it's just going to look worse as time goes on.
Are you kidding me...

You must have been one of the geniuses who voted for Jim Carey when he won the Calder and the Vezina...top flight goalie...

I love what he did for the Habs, but top flight goalie, I think that is typical of teams that throw all of their money at a guy who had a good year.

Boston...Thomas
Chicago...Campbell
NYR...Gomez (ironic statement, but so be it) and Drury
etc...

These are guys that looked like the answer and their GM's game them the bank key and now they are stuck with these contracts.

It's easy to say that Montreal got ****** in the trade, but let's see what Eller does come playoff time and maybe you'll eat those words, but in my mind they traded Halak for a top level prospect at his most tradable point...you gotta have guts to make those deals in order to survive.

ron delle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:25 PM
TML4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Capitals View Post
If they trade away Price's rights they don't have a starter.
HA! If they don't trade Price they STILL don't have a starter!

TML4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:33 PM
ron delle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4L View Post
HA! If they don't trade Price they STILL don't have a starter!
If you have the letters TML in your name, you haven't earned the right to attack goaltending, or offence...or defence for that matter.

Giguere and Gustavson...locked up in the goalie position...you would kill for Price.

ron delle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamary View Post
I think he was one of the best in the league LAST SEASON. It's one season, and it wasn't a huge workload for him in that one season. So yeah, in order to truly be considered one of the best in the league in general, you need a few of those kinds of seasons strung together IMHO. Without Halak the Habs don't make the playoffs, and without his play in the playoffs they go out quickly and quietly. He was the team's MVP last season. A few goalies in the league are their team's MVP. Probably many of them are among the best in the league.

Anyway, spilt milk under the bridge now. The Habs can't trade Price, not even for something ridiculous.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote